T H O R N |Finnick Odair

By naerysa

CAUTION ⚠️ i wrote this book when I was young. As a result, it is quite bad grammatically/descriptively. Pls... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27
28.
29.
30.
31.

8.

4.5K 77 13
By naerysa

Two gunshots ring out into the room. I'm stuck sitting in my chair, mouth open in terror. My parents lifeless bodies lay there on the floor. "No! How could you!" I say while tears run down my face.

"You need incentive to follow orders. This was a taste of the terror we could reign on your loved ones if you refuse in the future. Beware, Rose." He stands up and leaves, the peacekeepers following him.

I cry out and crawl to my parents bodies, hysterically sobbing. "No, no, no, no! Please no! I need you!" I scream as I shake them. I lay over my mother's body, getting flashbacks from Calyp. I continue to cry for who knows how long until I've finally run out of tears, so I lay there with them.

After about an hour a peacekeeper comes and removes me from the room, kicking and screaming. I'm back on my floor and I just crumble in the middle of it, holding my knees to my chest, the blood on my pretty pink dress. When dinner is served I don't go eat, the Avoxs stare at me. That is until Po comes in, joyous and happy.

His face drops when he sees the state I'm in, the blood on my dress and my smeared makeup. "Rose, what happened? Where are your parents?" He asks worriedly, not knowing what to do, or if the blood is mine.

"Dead." I respond in a whisper. His face contorts into a look of disgust, still confused.

"How?" I cry again but tell him the truth, he's the only person I trust in the capitol.

"Snow wants me to become a prostitute, the capitol darling. I refused and he brought in parents as blackmail. I agreed after he shot my dad in the foot but he still killed them!" I say rambling on, in a state of distress.

The flow of tears speed up again as I relive the event, Snow could hurt Basil, or Finnick. I look into Po's eyes and see anger and sadness. He pulls me up off of the floor and hugs me, stroking my hair.

"It's alright baby. You're gonna be alright. You can't give up or give in to him. You still have your brother at home, and the boy of your dreams waiting for you. Come on, let's get you changed." He holds my shoulders as we walk to my room.

Po somehow converts my shower into a bathtub and tells me to get in. He helps me get cleaned up and dressed and brings me something to eat. I only eat a bit of it, not having an appetite for anything else. We sit out in the living room and watch some capitol news to get my mind off of the recent events but it only makes it worse.

"Breaking and sad news we have to report. Two victors, Thorn and Bee Brightfall, were found dead in an alleyway this afternoon, they were the parents of the most recent victor, Rose Brightfall. We believe they were robbed and then shot. The president says that they are deeply sorry and regret this loss, they report they have a man in custody. We'd like to extend our condolences to R-" the TV is shut off and Po looks at me apprehensively.

"That bastard! He killed them!" I say, screaming at the TV. Po stands up and grabs my shoulders, making me look him in the eye.

"This is good, Rose. Turn this anger and hate into progress. You are stronger than this, don't let him see how this effects you. Go out there and be as strong as ever, he'll regret his choice, I know he will. Go get some rest." I nod, taking in his words and return to my bedroom. He's right. I can't let snow see how I feel about it, it'll only give him more power over me.

Again I wake up screaming, memories of Calyp and my parents coming to haunt me. I sit up and Po comes into my room. He sits on my bed and comforts me, stroking my hair. I eventually fall asleep in his embrace.

In the morning when I wake up Po has already set out an outfit for me, I get to leave the capitol today.

(She wears the second one.)
It's a beautiful blue dress and wedges, it makes me look innocent, like I'm actually fourt- fifteen. I walk out into the dining area and see Po seated at the table, waiting for me. I sit down and breakfast is served, chocolate pancakes.

I laugh, a tear rolls down my face. He looks worried but I shake my head. "My mom made this the morning of the reaping, it's really sweet. Thank you." I dig in.

Po stands by my side in the elevator as we prepare to meet the capitol citizens. I breathe in deeply, I need to mask my face into one of happiness. He rubs my back as the elevator dings, signalling us that we have arrived on the ground floor.

The door opens and I plaster a smile on my face and wave to the crowd. There are barriers on either side but somehow people manage to lean over and touch me, my hair, anything they can get their hands on.

Some people hold out magazines and pens for autographs, I sign a few of them but mostly keep walking, shaking hands and blowing kisses.

Finally we make it to the train and before I disappear I blow a kiss and wink to the crowd, they go crazy. Once the doors close the scowl returns to my face and I take a seat in the lounge car, by the back of the train.

I watch as the horrible place speeds out of sight. We should be back home by 10:00 tomorrow, greeting Mags, Finnick, and Basil once we get there. Basil. Oh god.  He must have heard the news. I sit and stare out the window for hours until it's dinner time and Po forces me to get up and eat.

I head to bed early, wanting to get home as soon as possible. That night my sleep is filled with nightmares but I don't wake. I'm forced to suffer through them all until Po wakes me in the morning at 9:00 to get ready and eat.

I walk out into the dining cart and sit at the table, eating a standard bacon and eggs breakfast. After I've finished Po does my makeup lightly for the cameras and we wait to arrive in district 4.

After about ten minutes I can see my home coming into view. A smile spreads across my face as I see the familiar blue water, I can smell the salt from here. Po smiles behind me and taps me on the shoulder, handing me my crown. "Show then who you are, what you accomplished." I smile as he places the crown on my head, officiating my victory.

"I wish you could've put it on the first time." I tell him while we hug.

"I do too. I have to go back to the capitol but I'll be back in 6 months for your victory tour. Stay strong." I nod, wishing he could stay.

The train slowly stops as we approach district 4. I'm instructed to walk out to the open car so the people can get a look at me before I go to victors' village.

I wait a few seconds, readying myself for the cameras before I walk out, smiling and waving to the crowd. Everyone cheers and whoops, happy to have another victor to represent our district. I see Finnick in the crowd, he's cheering the loudest. I don't see Basil or Mags, they must be at home.

After I've spent enough time waving I walk back into the car, place my crown into its box, and walk out of the train. I've only taken a few steps when familiar arms engulf me. "Finnick!" I say happily while hugging him back harder.

"I knew you'd come back." He says, more to himself than me. We break away and he kisses me, in front of the crowd. I kiss him back fiercely, this kiss has been long overdue. Finally we come back for air and we smile at each other as the crowd cheers.

We walk together and make our way to victors' village. I get my own house but I'll definitely just stay with mags, I don't think I can handle being alone in such a large place.

I walk over to her house and knock on the door. She opens it with a smile and I immediately hug her, the flow of tears has turned back on. She wraps her arms around me and rubs my back. She can't talk due to a stroke but she knows sign language so all three of us can communicate.

She steps aside and there I see my 8 year old brother waiting in the hallway. I run over and hug him, squeezing him tightly. I can tell he's been crying but trying to stay strong. "Why don't you go find something to do while we talk, okay?" I tell him and he nods, wandering off. I walk into the living area with Finnick and Mags trailing. Mags basically raised Finnick like a son and she's like my grandma, we both adore her.

We sit on the couch together and I recount my story. "He asked me to... prostitute for them." Finnick and Mags faces both turn into ones of disgust.

"He said I was desirable and people would pay large amounts of money for my "presence". I don't know when he's gonna start selling me, but I'm scared. That's why he killed mom and dad. He threatened to kill Basil, and you, Finnick, if I didn't comply." I say while looking down, ashamed.

Finnick makes a sound of disgust. "That's sick! You're fourteen! Grown men and women from the capitol paying for your body?!" He yells, exasperated.

"I turned fifteen the day of the interview. He wants me to start at next years games, he even moved them later so I'll be sixteen by the time they start. He still killed my parents, even after I agreed. It's disgusting and horrible but I don't have a choice." Mags holds me again, not being able to say anything.

"Why? You didn't do anything to deserve this? You played by the rules, gave the capitol a show?" Finnick says, bewildered. I'm wondering the same exact thing myself. I've done nothing to deserve this.

Mags holds up a finger and goes over to the phone, dialling a number. Once whoever she's dialled has answered, she beckons me over and hands the phone to me.

"Hello?" I ask curiously, wondering who she could have called.

"Hello? I thought this was Mags?" A make voice answers me. I don't know who this is.

"It was... but she can't speak and she wanted me to talk to you. I'm Rose Brightfall," I tell the confused man, looking at Mags from the corner of my eye.

"Rose... oh, you're the newest victor, aren't you? Bee and Thorn's daughter? I'm sorry about that, really. The capitol is sadistic. Haymitch, by the way," he says, somehow knowing that snow killed my parents.

"Yeah... how did you know about my parents?" I ask.

"Every victor knows. It was threatened to happen to them too. It's snow's power play for victors, a punishment of sorts," Haymitch tells me.

"But I don't understand. I followed all of the rules and win fairly. What could I have done to deserve this?" I exclaim, angry over all of this once again.

"It doesn't matter what you did or didn't do. You're desirable. Snow will use you for power, for money, for influence. He gains control, blackmail over other people. Snow knows that he has the control over your life, just because you won the games doesn't mean it's over. You never win," Haymitch says, sounding like he knows from experience.

"How do you know all of this?" I reiterate, wanting to know how this man can know so much.

"Because he tried it with everyone. With me. He made an example out of me, killing my entire family because I played the game wrong. And now he's made an example out of you, to show all the other young Rose's of the games. Bad things happen when you rebel," Haymitch explains darkly.

"So there's... nothing I can do? Snow will have power over me for as long as I live? Over my family?" I say, only now fully realizing the amount of control that man has over me.

"Why do you think your parents were terrified for you and your brother? They got married, against what Snow wanted. He wanted to use them the same way but they got publicly married. Now they have you. And if you don't do what he wants, he will destroy everything you hold dear," Haymitch confirms as I sit, putting a hand on my forehead.

"I have to let whoever wants to fuck me, fuck me? Endorse capitol products and let this all happen? God... I didn't win anything," I say, wanting to cry.

"You never win the games, Rose. You survive. And then the capitol sticks it's hooks in you and you never get out. Look, I'm actually very sorry about this. Your parents were good friends. They knew you were strong and you can get through this. Cherish the people you love while you can," Haymitch finishes before the phone line goes dead.

I slowly put the phone back, too stunned to say anything. Winning was... for nothing. I don't get to be done.

"Who was that?" Finnick asks, looking at me with confusion.

"Haymitch... the victor from district 12?" I say, looking to mags for confirmation. She nods.

"What did he have to say?" Finnick questions again, trying to figure out what's happening.

"He told me why Snow is doing this. It happens to almost every victor, no matter what. Anyone that the capitol people are willing to pay for is threatened and used. For money. Blackmail. Power. Whatever. And if they don't do it, this happens. Snow has control over me. There's nothing I can do," I finish quietly, sitting back on the couch with my face in my hands.

An arm is placed around me and I'm pulled into Finnicks embrace. "It'll be okay. We'll figure something out, I promise."

We eat salmon for dinner, it's a great comfort to eat my home food again. I smile as I taste Mags cooking and we make small talk about things that happened while I was away. After dinner I take a quick shower and go to bed early.

Finnick has started to sleep here in Mags house because his parents are having troubles. Mags is now Basil and I's legal guardian so we moved in here for the moment.

Again, nightmares plague my dreams. Except this time I'm awoken by Finnick. My eyes shoot open and I sit up, breathing heavy. "Are you okay?" He asks worriedly.

I nod, "yeah, just nightmares." He gives a quick nod of his head and starts to head out. "Finnick, wait! Will you stay with me?"

"Rose uh-" I cut him off.

"Please? I can't sleep alone with my nightmares. I just can't." I say, my voice breaking.

He looks back and walks into the room, hopping into the bed. He puts his arm around me and kisses my head. The rest of the night follows peacefully.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 178 29
ೃ༄ 𝐊𝐀𝐋𝐎𝐏𝐒𝐈𝐀 🔱🌊˚◞♡ ﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌ * ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ ☁️ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐯𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐲, training the kids from your district, as a...
420 16 7
- You guys should remember this one, and you better. Jolene Kensington. - Haymitch announced, pressing his presentation forward to show the image of...
53.8K 1.1K 43
Cordelia Benham a 16 year old girl gets reaped into the Hunger Games. Cordelia was left to fend for herself and her little siblings when both her par...
229K 6.7K 114
The Victory Tour? Over. The Quarter Quell? Over. Katniss's life? Over, as far as Peeta knows. Sure, the games may be over for Katniss and Peeta, but...