The Hollow Grove: The Compani...

By matthewbrownstories

Haygen, the soft-hearted Barbarian, is on a quest to find his Druid mother. His three companions wouldn't da... More

Whispering Woods Recap. The World.
Prologue
[1] The Shady Lady
[2] Captain Zahdu
[3] Attacked! [Part 1]
[4] Attacked [Part 2]
Kayla's Journal ⚫️
[5] The Blind Baviin (Part 1)
[6] The Blind Baviin (Part 2)
[7] The Blind Baviin (Part 3)
[8] Dark Water
[9] Sand, Wind and Fire (Part 1)
[10] Sand, Wind and Fire (Part 2)
[11] Sailing Through the Savage Isles
[12] The East Coast
[13] Solid Ground and a Cave
[14] The Mysterious Cave
[15] The Problem With Bogu
[16] Stories Around The Campfire
[17] The Dying Vale
[18] Here There Be Giants
[19] I Don't Care What You Smell
[20] Death and Dust
[21] The Terror Below
[22] Crashing The Goblin (Hunting) Party
[23] The Tahvodan Forest Outpost
[24] Healing Up And Gearing Up
[25] On The Move
[26] Sweetwater
[27] The Revenant Dwarves
[28] Brawlin'
[29] Tracks
Kayla's Journal ⚫️⚫️
[30] Slate
[31] Silversteel
[32] A New Suit
[33] The Sacred Home for Wayward Sons
[34] Happenings At The Scar
[35] Cloak and Dagger
[36] Ambush!
[37] A Ranger Returns
[38] Help from the Order
[39] The Druid Grove
[40] Dark Plans | Infiltration
[41] Reunion
[42] Two Approach The Tall Stones (Autumn Fest Part 1)
[43] Blood Trail (Autumn Fest Part 2)
[44] Knife Fight (Autumn Fest Part 3)
[45] War Council
[46] Guardian at the Stones | Wizard Study
[47] Darkstalker
[48] Dragonflight
[49] Meet the Parents
[50] Lord Vöhl | The Tomb of Valor
[51] Overwatch
[52] Path of the Willows
[53] Battle! (Part 1)
[54] Battle (Part 2)
[55] Battle (Part 3)
[56] Aftermath (Part 1) - The Journey Home
[58] Aftermath (Part 3) - The Order of Kalimas
Alternate Covers

[57] Aftermath (Part 2) - Tamberlain

349 88 2
By matthewbrownstories

The southern road to Tamberlain grew cold and since the companions left the Druids behind, they relied nightly on Kayla's pocket dimension for shelter. Inside, the Wizard went on to create the Ranger outpost where they first met Jordy. The tree house stood as in reality. They feasted on wild duck from the spit, garden greens, and cold ale from ever-filling mugs. They bathed in the lac and played with the goat and ran amongst the trees. All the while, her thoughts drifted to Arataas. The companions praised her for her gifts, but she played coy and remained humble saying it was but a small thing.

The companions walked through the eastern paths of the Whispering Woods and it brought joy to their hearts. They told Anyu wild tales of Valon Sadesh and the Tenchi and their battle for the skull.

Kayla enjoyed the moments they had just the five of them and she knew she had to embrace these times of friendship and forge the memories into her mind as they would soon be apart for a long while.

[][][]

Tamberlain welcomed the companions home as famed Warriors much to the Faeling's joy. The Fuzzy Quarterstaff still held their table and Camryl still held the key to Otis' cottage front door. They spent the weeks end in town and embraced the feelings of home.

One eve at their table in the back corner of the Fuzzy, lit low by dim, fat candles, the companions spoke of their future undertakings.

"Are you sure that you three can handle these slaver scum without us?" asked the Guardian.

"I think we can handle this nest of Vipers," said Wess. "A band of Pirates calling themselves The Keepers. Finding them will be the hardest part and like I say, I've got connections."

Anyu stabbed her dagger deep into the thick Maple table. "I will have blood."

The companions lurched back, avoiding the blade.  Kayla recalled Anyu's emaciated, tortured state on their first meeting aboard the Shady Lady and could not blame her vengeful thoughts.

"Careful!" Wess cried. His ale sloshed into his lap. "Blast!"

"Apologies," said Anyu yanking the blade free from the table. "But there are men that need slaying and I mean to do so."

Haygen rested a hand on her shoulder. "We know. We will find them."

Kayla could no longer contain herself. "Otis and I are leaving for the eastern lands after our journey to the Towers of Ulmaka." She covered her mouth as if she belched.

Wess sprayed his ale across the table all over Otis' face and beard. "YOU'RE WHAT?"

"Panadahe's grace!" Shouted the Dwarf. He dragged his hand down his face!

Wess raised a hand. "I'm sorry, Otis." He turned to the Wizard. "YOU'RE WHAT?" He slammed his mug and his ale sloshed all over the table.

"Hey!" Haygen furrowed his brow. "You're wasting the ale! Give it to me if you won't drink it."

Kayla closed her eyes, took a breath, and after swearing her three other companions to a silent pact, she explained to them what she already discussed with Otis. About Kellis Vöhl and Arataas. About the Dragons and the Order of Kalimas and their hidden fortress in the Scar.

"Dag!" said Haygen.

"A Secret Order of Dragon riding Knights," said Wess. "Where do I sign up?"

"Fighting Demons," Anyu added.

Wess pursed his lips. "Forgot about that bit. How did you two get in then?"

Kayla did not hesitate. "They already had mind to invite Otis before me."

"And I accepted the duty wholeheartedly," said the Guardian.

"I am on a provisional basis pending that I heed to the head Wizard," Kayla said. "Arataas convinced the High Council."

The mere mention of the mighty Dragon made them bite their tongue of snarky wit. His willingness to sacrifice and battle all he did for them held the weight of a true companion if there ever was one.

"Arataas is a magnificent creature, Kayla," said Anyu. She reached out and held the Wizard's hand. "You are lucky to have each other."

"Many thanks," said Kayla. Her cheeks and the tips of her pointed ears burned.

Haygen brought his hand atop of theirs. "I too am happy that...you're happy." He smiled, yet his eyes told her that he worried for her.

"Thank you, Haygen," said Kayla.

"Can I just ride on a Dragon?" Wess asked.

"You never know what the future holds, Wesley," Kayla said. "But for now, this is our secret, ya?"

"I'll drink to that," said Haygen. "When will we see each other again?" He posed the question to the wise Dwarf.

"Our group must part ways," Otis said, "but we must set a moon to meet again."

Kayla said, "Let us try for one sole from this very day. Agreed?"

"By hook, or by crook," Wess said.

"I'm in," Haygen added.

"As am I," Anyu said.

"Panadahe willing," Otis agreed.

They feasted and Wess brought out the inn's gambling tiles taking much of their gold as a parting gift.

[][][]

She-elf and Dwarf set off from Tamberlain on horseback to the desert sands of Ulmaka.

Besides a brief encounter with a pack of Wolves, they found the journey pleasant until they reached the golden sand hills of Ulmaka. The sweltering heat struck down the Guardian, but he shed his Silversteel armor and Kayla kept him and their Horses cool with an endless supply of ice cold water.

"Where is this cursed place, Wizard?" asked Otis. "I fear I may melt on this very spot. If more sand gets up my nose, I won't be able to breathe!"

"I'm sorry, old friend," Kayla said. "The Towers move with the winds. Here we are at one of the lesser-known spots."

They crossed a steep dune, and before them lay many towers of glittering sandstone poking up from the powdery sand like massive farm crops of stone.

"How many are there?" asked Otis. He held his hand to his forehead to block the sun from his eyes.

"Thirty seven," whispered Kayla. Her stomach fluttered and she found she could step no further. Sweat poured from her forehead, though she felt cool with her robes on. Just get this over with, she thought. Rip the bandage from the wound. "Come on. Almost there."

A small Ulmakan family tended to their horse outside in an open awning with a full water trough. The local Ulmakan stable hands with their layers of white linen clothing reminded Kayla of Arataas' Alden Sal-Moon disguise and she grinned at the thought. The Dwarf slipped on his armor, slung his shield on his back and hung his war hammer on his belt.

They passed several of the massive towers, each with their own single door painted in a variety of colors and sigils. Radiant blue waves for the water school, white clouds for the wind school, yellow stars on black for enchantment school, a black cauldron on yellow for the potions school. It seemed they walked another age before they arrived at the black door emblazoned with a fire streaming from a black dragon's mouth.

Fitting, thought Kayla. She opened the door and hurried Otis in, knowing how frowned upon it was to let the heat and sand in. Wizards barely left the towers anymore. Academics the lot of them. The last stories told of Wizards were of the first crossings of the black sea after the great war. Only a few War Wizards from the old age remained and they sat as instructors and advisers on boards and councils of...serious oversight Kayla presumed.

Polished red marble security golems stood like vigilant bookends on either side a wide arched entryway. Their spears crossed, blocking the portal. The walls and floors around them, polished white marble in stark contrast, echoed with every step the two companions took.

"Kayla Windshaper," the Wizard announced.

The two golems cleared their spears from the portal, allowing the Wizard and her guest safe passage.

Kayla led Otis through the dizzying turns and white marble passageways, finally leading to a stairwell. The stairs led up and around.

"I would think a place of magic would have less steps," said Otis trying to keep up.

"We're nearly there," Kayla assured him. "Ah, here we are." The Wizard stomped her foot, and the sand and grime from the road dissipated. She smelled of wildflowers and her silver hair fell gently down her shoulders. Her grey robes remained, though. "Mind waiting outside?"

"Of course," said Otis.

Kayla lifted the iron ring knocker and tapped thrice on the purpleheart door. After a moment, the door opened and in a comfortable velvet chair near a fireplace sat Eudiseus Sentari

The old Wizard wore thick black robes embroidered in elaborate platinum stitching. A head of short grey hair led to a beard, neatly trimmed to a point. A small leather pouch dangled from his neck. The old Man smiled and waved her in.

Not much changed since Kayla last visited her master's private chambers. An uneven stack of worn books sat piled in a corner forming its own bookshelf of sorts. Ribbons and scraps of linen marked pages for future reference. The same burnt circle remained on the wall to her right after a miscast spell—a constant reminder of the danger fire possess'. A tea pot, empty cups, dirty dishes and spoons lay scattered about on his end table and near the door at her side. Sloppy, she thought. Reminding her that her master is mortal like her.

Kayla bent over and picked a dirty tea cup off the ground. "Apprentices day off?"

Sentari shook his head. "That boy..."

"Alson is a good lad," said Kayla with a grin.

Her master glanced outside the door. Kayla turned and Otis jerked his head away from the open portal. "Who's the Dwarf?" He waved a hand and his door closed shut.

"He's my friend," said Kayla.

"You're trip to the east was a success I take it?" asked Sentari as he sat back in his chair. He motioned her to the guest chair opposite him and she took it.

"It was."

"And you findings?"

"I have comprised journal entries for the codex."

"Very good." Sentari poured her a cup of tea from his pot. "Anything of note?"

She accepted the tea and sipped. "Thank you. You will find it all in the codex, but the most significant of finds lies in Druid Stones in a land called Green Haven."

"Druids?" Sentari seemed disinterested. "How compelling."

Kayla smirked. "I know. I found it amateur witchcraft at best."

He lowered one eyelid. "I see."

They sat quietly drinking their tea, playing at their little game.

Sentari closed his eyes. "Why do I sense you've gone through great...trauma?"

I shall not let him read my mind, she thought.

Kayla said, "I've come to let you know I'm going on an indefinite leave of absence from the Order. I will be unable to provide reports of my comings and goings."

"I see," said her master. "And at such a sensitive time? Are you sure that is wise?"

Kayla blinked. "What do you mean?"

Sentari smiled like he did when she miscast her spells so many times in—a patient smile. "You know, when the Ulmakans come 'round with their fruit carts, a lot of the fruit isn't quite ripe. But I can usually tell when the fruit is ripe. The color, the smell, the texture...ripe fruit just stands out. As do most Wizards of power."

Kayla adjusted her sitting position. "I see."

"So, I ask you again, Kayla Windshaper, are you sure you are ready to set out on your own?"

Kayla guessed at the answer. "Are we ever really ready, master?"

The old Man sipped at his tea. "No, I suppose not." With that he smiled again.

She stood to leave. "I will submit my findings at my earliest convenience then."

"I would expect nothing less," said Sentari. He stood, shuffled through his stack of books, and handed her a thin book with a red cover. "Take this, don't look at it now, but I hope it gives you comfort in times of...confusion."

Kayla accepted the book and slipped it into her ever-pocket. "Many thanks.  And I will return for visits if that is alright."

Sentari nodded.  "Since you no longer have your Fire Staff, I can't rightly ask for it back, so says the bylaws. I was crushed when I heard you'd cast yours off. Too bad, don't you think?"

Kayla pressed her lips into lines. "You're right, Master. I found it to be a horrible mistake." Kayla thought for a moment. Her master's staff stood in the corner right near the doorway. Tapering to a fine point, the golden wood held a small oblong red crystal. "By chance, Master Sentari, is your staff from the Order of Fire ceremony, or is it of your own making?"

"If you can keep a secret, it is of my own make. An old piece of Sunny Elm I found in my travels. I'm sort of old fashioned that way. Can't remember where I put that old Fire Staff they gave me. I'll have to ask Alson to help me locate it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

318 2 24
(MMORPG Fanfic) A story about a young elf maiden, who was orphaned as a child, living in the Elven city of Felwith. She grows to become a beautiful y...
175 26 18
[ONC 2024 Longlister] The heir to the kingdom has been kidnapped! Many great and powerful adventurers have tried to find him and bring him back to th...
76.6K 8.6K 31
Ten years have passed since darkness cloaked the Whispering Woods. Madness awaits all who enter. Tamberlain. A small trading town on the border o...
315K 12.4K 86
Bilbo Baggins isn't the only unexpected member of Thorin Oakenshield's company. Another is recruited by the Grey Wizard who believes that she may hol...