T H O R N |Finnick Odair

By naerysa

CAUTION ⚠️ i wrote this book when I was young. As a result, it is quite bad grammatically/descriptively. Pls... More

1.
2.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27
28.
29.
30.
31.

3.

5.1K 92 24
By naerysa

The next morning we are awoken at 8:30 for breakfast. Po has already set my outfit out for me to change into. He set out a blue sports bra with the number 4 in the corner and plain black leggings. I grab the hair tie he set out and tie my hair back, making sure there are no bumps.

I walk out into the living room to see everybody at the table already. I sit down and eat a small amount, a lot of protein, to make sure I can get through today.

No one talks, nerves evident in the room.

I've decided that I won't show the careers my strengths, they should be surprised, but will go all out for the gamekeepers.  After breakfast we make the decision to head down to the training centre. It's already about 9:30.

Most of the tributes are already here and at 9:45 the tributes from twelve walk in so Atala decides to get started.

"In two weeks 23 of you will be dead, and one of you will be alive. Who that is depends on how well you pay attention in the next four days, particularly to what I'm about to say." I focus my attention on her now, let's do this.

"First, no fighting with the other tributes, you'll have plenty of time for that in the arena. There are four compulsory exercises, the rest is individual training. My advice is, don't ignore the survival skills, exposure can kill as easily as a knife."

We start off the day by swinging across a gap using rings. It's very easy, I've been training my whole life for this.

After that she gives us 2 hours to train by ourselves. I go over to the snare station and hone my skills, making sure I'm doing it right, my first hour gone. I spend the second hour split between making fire and identifying edible plants. It's 1 now so we are allowed to eat for an hour then we get back to work.

I sit by myself at the four table, Calyp is talking with the careers. This is gonna end badly for him. I haven't shown anything too special to anyone, but we have sword fighting next, and I will not be dominated.

After a protein filled lunch we head back into the training room. I get first in-line for sword fighting so I can get it over with. I step up to the mat and hear people snickering behind me. I tune them out as a trainer hands me a foam sword. When the whistle blows I've "killed" him within 10 seconds. He dismisses me and I can hear the snickering stop.

I continue to work on survival skills for the rest of our afternoon as to not show anyone what I'm really capable of besides the sword skills. If I can get my hand on a knife or sword, even a spear I'll be in good shape for the games.

As I head to the elevator I'm stopped by a strong hand on my arm. I turn around, thinking it might be Calyp, but I'm wrong. It's a career, specifically from district 1, I think his name is Jasper. "I saw your sword fighting, I want you on our team." He says as a command, not as a question.

"Not interested." I state simply as I continue my walk. I'd rather be killed than join the dirty careers and possibly win. "Look, your little buddy is already with us, we have a chance of dominating with you in our group."

"Not. Interested. If you grab me again, I will break that pretty little face of yours." I walk away again, but apparently he isn't done.

"You don't know who you're messing with, Brightfall! I'll end you!" He yells from across the room.

"I'm sure you will." I respond staring him down from inside the elevator.

The next two days are a blur, I feel utterly unprepared the morning of the assessments. I stuck to the survival skills, trying not to show all of my potential. Of course we had projectiles and I excelled with knives and spears. But now it's time to give it my all. Calyp sits beside me, he hasn't said a word to me these past few days. I don't blame him for sticking with the careers, it gives him a better shot at surviving. But it dooms him for winning.

The minute the careers don't need him anymore, he's dead.

After waiting here for about half an hour the automated voice calls for Sterling from district 1. After about fifteen minutes the voice calls for Jasper, he stares me down as he enters the assessment facility.

This cycle repeats and as the male from district 3 goes in I start getting nervous. After an agonizing 15 minutes the announcer spits out my name and district. I stand up, exhaling deeply to rid myself of nerves. Before I leave Calyp grabs my hand. "Good luck." I smile at him and nod, walking away.

When I enter, the game makers are sitting on a ledge in their fancy chairs, ready to see how well I can kill. I walk into the centre and announce myself to them. "Rose Brightfall. District four." The head gamemaker nods.

"Go ahead Rose." There are three dummies with targets, a fire station, snare station, swords, knives, bows, everything. And that's what I'll do. In my ten minutes I do everything in the room. I make snares, light a fire, throw the knives in the targets chest, cut off the heads of the dummies with the sword, and shoot the bow with mild precision. After I'm done I walk back to the centre of the room and bow, walking out without them saying a word.

I walk into our apartment silently, walking straight into my room before anyone can talk to me. I hop into the shower and use the same soap I always do, the ocean scented one. I close my eyes and relax, the smell of the shampoo making me think about home.

I think about Finnick and our kiss for the first time since I've been here, it makes me angry. They've taken him from me, I could die there and never see him again. All for a show. I scream in anger and finish my shower, change into lounging clothes, and walk out into the living room and sit on the couch in a huff.

My parents come and sit on either side of me, relishing in the silence before Calyp undoubtedly joins us. "So, What did you show them?" My father asks after a few minutes of silence.

"Everything." I answer simply.

"Everything? What do you mean everything?" My mom asks in confusion.

"I mean everything. Everything they had laid out I did."

"That's great. Calyp is showering, the scores should be on tomorrow, so go get some rest." My father pats my back as I stand, heeding their advice to get some rest. As soon as my head hits the pillow I'm out. My dreams tonight consist of Finnick, us happy together, kissing, dancing, and swimming. I'm sadly awoken by my mother in the morning as she tells me the scores are about to be announced. I put on simple clothes and sit on the couch next to Po.

Calyp emerges from his bedroom in his pyjamas and takes a seat on the couch next to me. We sit in anticipation and when the T.V. sparks to life I practically jump. On comes Caesar Flickerman and he starts by telling the cameras that he will be announcing the scores. "Here we go! From district 1, Jasper, with a score of, ten." I grimace. "Sterling, also from district 1, has a score of nine." His happy voice informs us as the number flashes in-front of her image.

This continues until it gets to Calyp. "Now Calyp, our youngest tribute, has a score of eight." Everyone claps, telling him that they can work with that.

"Now Rose, our little flower has a score of..." he pauses for a minute, almost asking if his card is right. I got a zero, fuck. "Twelve. First in hunger games history! Well done!" He says happily while laughing. Did I actually earn that? Before I can think further I'm engulfed in a hug from both of my parents.

"Well done Rose! That's fantastic. Sponsors will be all over you." My father tells me happily.

I grab his arm and pull him to the side to voice my concern. "Did I earn that? Or is that to put a bigger target on my back?" I ask hurriedly. He looks to be in thought for a few seconds before responding with "You already have a target because of your mother and I, I think you earned. If you didn't, you definitely got the sponsors attention." He smiles and claps me on the shoulder, returning to the living room.

I return to my room to think. The games are tomorrow. I'll be in an arena fighting for my life tomorrow and tonight I'll be asked what pretty dress I'm wearing. Fuck, this is messed up. All I can do is survive.

And that's what's gonna happen

I promise Finnick.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

154K 3K 70
When Reef, a young girl from District Four, thinks she'll make it through her last year of the reaping, finds that she was unsuccessful. She had been...
242K 6.4K 68
❝Welcome to hell! Tell me, how does it feel to be Snow's new puppets?❞ ➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳ A Victor's child is probably the most prestigious title anyone...
1.6K 44 29
𝑶𝒏𝒆 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒂𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑲𝒂𝒕𝒏𝒊𝒔𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑷𝒆𝒆𝒕𝒂'𝒔 𝑹𝒆𝒂𝒑𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑪𝒂𝒑𝒊𝒕𝒐𝒍 𝒊𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒚 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒎𝒑 𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔...
420 16 7
- You guys should remember this one, and you better. Jolene Kensington. - Haymitch announced, pressing his presentation forward to show the image of...