The Prince's Duchess { Illyri...

By SeraEnigma

Hardworking Sarina loves her job and is considered a kind hearted girl. Along the way, she befriended an ecce... More

Author's Notes:
Prologue
Chapter 1: Blinded
Chapter 2: Who are you?
Chapter 3: A Promise
Chapter 4: Death of a Duke
Special Chapter: Luis Valentine
Chapter 5 - Grief on both sides
Chapter 6: I'm a Duchess?!
Chapter 7: Invitation
Chapter 8: On My Way
Chapter 9: First Meeting
Chapter 10: Living with the Prince
Chapter 11: An After Party Invite
Chapter 12: Jealousy
Chapter 13: Seductive Kiss
Chapter 14: Lovers
Chapter 15: Stay with me
Chapter 16: Henry's Funeral
Chapter 17: Tonight
Chapter 18: A Prince's Warmth
Chapter 19: Town Legends
Chapter 20 Part 1: The Charity Gala
Chapter 20 Part 2: She is Mine
Chapter 21: Confrontation
Chapter 22: Alone with you
Chapter 23: What It Means
Chapter 24: This is not Goodbye
Special Chapter: Catherine Lyonel
Chapter 25: Missing You
Chapter 26: Telling the truth
Chapter 27: Old Wounds
Chapter 28: Twins
Chapter 29: Hidden Shame
Chapter 30: Reunion
Chapter 31: An Unexpected Meeting
Flash Back Chapter: Before I Met You
Chapter 32: Did you Miss Me?
Chapter 33: Tonight, I'm Yours
Chapter 34: Cousins
Chapter 35: The Lost Princess
Special Chapter: Seymone
Chapter 36: Results
Chapter 37: A Stronger Bond
Chapter 38: World of our Own
Chapter 39: Be Honest
Chapter 40: The Brother In Law
Chapter 41: Back to Illyria
Chapter 42: My FiancΓ©e
Chapter 43: Kassim
Chapter 44: Forgive Me?
Chapter 45: Like Father, Like Daughter
Chapter 46: The Forgotten Agreement
Chapter 47: Leaving again
Chapter 48: The Truth about Laila-Part 1
Chapter 49: The Truth about Laila - Part 2
Chapter 50: The Poison
Chapter 51: Flaunting your Title
Chapter 52: Akhun
Chapter 53: The Plot Thickens
Chapter 54: Now and Always
Chapter 55: Sex, Netflix and Chill
Chapter 57: The Trial
Chapter 58: Forever Mine
Chapter 59: A Lost Love Returns
Chapter 60: An Unexpected Invitation
Chapter 61: Sealed Letter
Chapter 62: Elite Affair
Chapter 63: Her True Colors
Chapter 64: Kidnapped
Chapter 65: Huntress
Chapter 66: Redemption
Chapter 67: Body Heat
Chapter 68: Who am I?
Chapter 69: Rekindled Interest
Chapter 70: Memories of Us
Chapter 71: Aphrodisiac Fever
Extra Chapter: Laila
Chapter 72: Surprise Ambush
Chapter 73: Luce e Ombra
Chapter 74: La Famiglia e tutto
Chapter 75: The Cat is out of the Bag
Chapter 76: Abstinance
Chapter 77: The Wedding
Chapter 78: Night at the Tower
Final Chapter 79: The Prince's Duchess
Epilogue Chapter 80: The Princess' Personal Chef
End of the Story Greetings!
Special Mini Novel Coming Up!

Chapter 56: The Lyonel Family Secret

1.5K 71 3
By SeraEnigma

Leone's POV:

3 days later....

The day of the Trial of the Bride....

"Are you scared to tell her?" Cat's voice made me put away a scroll as I looked around the Royal Family Archive.

It was an inheritance from our ancestors, the ones who built Illyria in the early Middle Ages, a very ancient time when the world was filled with knights, lords, and kings while magic was still accepted by the people.

It was a well-lit place despite being underground with volcanic stone-carved shelves and vaults and a polished marble floor complete with small fountains.

The Archive is built under the Royal Palace and is only accessible to the royal family. Scrolls, parchments and other ancient documents well preserved lie inside; all in order to give their descendants guidance with their unique gifts.

I am the heir to its legacy and now I will have to entrust its secrets to my fiancee.

A woman, who lived an ordinary life and the very lady who visited me in my dreams when I was questioning myself.

"I am still afraid she might freak out. Sure, she may not be concerned before but after these past few days...." I pressed my hand on my head.

"Brother? " she walked closer and put a hand to my back until I could continue speaking.

"I felt her pain while she was trying to locate Safirah; although my cousin is safe now. I can still remember the times when she would shake and cry after waking up. She can feel them Cat; Feel the pain and suffering of the person she has visions of." I told my sister. "I do not know if she is aware but her ability at handling her new power is getting there and yet I am afraid that it might overwhelm her one day."

"Have you talked about this with her?" my sister asked me and I shook my head.

"No. The pain in the dreams stopped when Safirah was rescued but how does one expect me to reveal our secret when she has been through so many things already." I touched another container that had the diary of Henry before he died in Manila.

"If she is to be part of the family then you have no choice but to trust her. You chose her and she has overcome many obstacles just to be with you. Give her a little credit." Cat told me and elbowed me. "Timing is the key, that is all I can tell you."

"Okay....Thanks. We had better go; someone will think we had gone into hiding." I said as I tucked the container under my arm. "By the way, why were you here?"

My sister took a parchment as well but this one has the royal seal on it.

"I promised to give our little sister more information about mastering her own gift. There was.... an incident when she was with me during the Spring-sition Fashion Week in Paris."

I wanted to ask what it was but seeing as how Sey was still slow in warming up to me, I decided that Cat was better equipped to deal with her....for now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had left Sarina with my sister and Sey as they took tea in the Palace Gardens while I pondered over how to begin explaining our family secret to the woman I love.

Too many times have I tempted fate when she discovered that I am no ordinary man for I possesses a gift that can control anyone as long as they can hear my voice.

My sister possesses the ability to feel the "real emotions" of the one she touches which is why she is extra particular in who she favors for the poison that every person hides affects her greatly.

Our family secret was the last hurdle that will test whether Sarina truly wanted to be with me.

Enough that she would welcome death.

That was the very thing that makes me fear what she would say. I love her too much that I would do anything in my power to keep her by my side.

But I can no longer keep the secret from her. By tradition; every bride has to know the harsh truth.

"I wish we would not have to do this, many brides to be were driven away by this and I had wanted to delay the inevitable but I started this by loving her and now.....I have to move forward."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was dragging my leg as I slowly went to the gardens when I saw my father by the door leading outside, his gaze was on the girls who were laughing over something Sey told them.

My little sister's joyful voice made my father smile but there was a hint of sadness in them. It seems like after their first meeting alone; the two avoid each as much as possible and I can see that it pains my father.

"She'll come around one of these days," I spoke and Joram did not turn my way but merely sighed before giving me a nod before leaving with his butler.

I watched my father leave and disappear to the hallway before I went outside the door leading outside. I heard the laughter die down as I straightened my suit and approached my fiancee.

They were all looking very pretty but my eyes were on Sarina who was looking delicious in a robin blue ladies suit with a small white hat accessory they call a fascinator, which is very popular in the UK.

"Are we all ready?" I asked them.

"Isn't this trial a bit of an overkill?" Sey asked me as she dusted off her cream white dress which is paired of with a tasteful black leather jacket. She looked like a rebellious sort of princess and yet it suits her.

"It is tradition. Come on dear, let's give these two some time alone." Cat ushered a grumbling Sey inside the Palace.

That left me alone with my fiancee, she looked at me and whatever she seems to have seen on my face made her worry.

I willed my fear inside of me but when she put a hand on my forearm soothingly; I urged her to stand up as we took a walk into the garden maze

"I can feel dread and fear in your heart, Is it the trial? I am afraid and nervous too but I can do this..." she said as she smiled shakily at me. A few tendrils of unease in her confidence made me take her in my arms.

"No. It is not that. " I hugged her for a while as if I never wanted to let her go. "There is a place I want to take you. A special and sacred one."

I pressed a cobblestone that triggered the fountain in the middle of the maze to subside, the stone structure forming a staircase leading down somewhere.

"Wow. Where is it going?" she asked me as I held her hand while we descended down the damp steps.

"The Ancient Family Archive, a place where everything will make sense," I said as I guided her into a darkened abyss.

-----------------------------------------------------

Sarina's POV:

I stared at the way Leone seems to know where to go in this darkness as we walked. The warmth of his big hand was the only reason why I am scared.

The momentary lack of lighting cleared up when we got out and came upon an underground space.

But it was not any damp, moldy place that one usually imagined.

The entire place was lit by shimmering crystals that grew from the ceiling. A few big crystals floated everywhere like illuminating lamps of varying colors. It looked like a fairytale out of a book.

Leone led me to a huge lake that looked crystalline in appearance and in the middle of it was a huge library island. There were shelves upon shelves of books, scrolls, and displays of varying objects that show ancient artifacts or journals as we walked through the marbled ground.

I was even more on awe when I saw crystal statues of several prominent figures which may be Leone's ancestors.

But one central statue located at small terrace fountain made me stop to stare at her loving features as she held a child's hands while smiling lovingly at her husband's eyes.

"Is that....the Seer Lady?" I could not believe it.

And just when I thought things are a bit more normal. Guess not.

"Yes. Her real name was Lady Vivienne du Lac." He said her name in a whisper.

"Vivienne of the Lake?" I translated her surname as I stared at the statue before I gasped. "as in...The Lady of the Lake in Arthurian legend?"

He looked at me with mild surprise and smiled.

"You astound me. Have you read about her and how she influenced the fate of the Welsh hero-king Arthur?"

"I have read about it when I was in college." I looked at him with wide eyes. "So...are you saying she was real?"

"To tell you the truth, I have no idea whether she was the lady of legend. Her origin was a mystery when she first interacted with my forefathers. For all, we know...she might be the original enchantress' descendant. But one thing is for sure; Her power and abilities live on in the blood of the Lyonels and few others." He raised our intertwined hands and kissed my knuckles. "There is a reason why I brought you here.."

He then looked nervous which surprised me as he took my hand and kissed them slowly.

"I need to know if you would still want to be with me after seeing all this. after all, that you have been through..."

"Why...are you asking me this now? Do you not want me to be your bride anymore?" I felt his apprehension before he shook his head.

"No.No....I am sorry. I am not explaining this well." he sighed and dragged an impatient hand against his hair. "Sarina, you are aware of our growing bond right? This connection allows us to dream about each other and feels each other's emotions at times?"

"Mmmhmm." I nodded.

"Do you like it? Me always being at the back of your mind or in your head?"

"It feels strange at first but I feel like I am more connected to you when I can feel you with me. So I rather like it." I answered him honestly.

"I am happy. A lot of my ancestors were not so lucky their own lady love. " he smiled at me gently before he leaned against me, his arms were suddenly wrapped around my waist. " Rina, will you die for me?"

That question made me stiffen as I locked gazes with him.

"Die?" I felt a frisson of fear at his words. "Leone what is going on? You are scaring me."

"Sorry. That is not what I meant. I guess Cat is right, I really suck at explaining." he looked troubled which made my fear subside a bit.

"Calm down...and choose your words..." I stroked his back soothingly as I made small strokes.

"Okay. You see... Our family has always been gifted but it comes at a price. A very steep price. Our abilities usually manifest at an age when we are ready but sadly as we get older oftentimes our power will be too strong for us to control which leads to an early grave." he explained gravely. " It is not something that is written but it has been recorded that a born royal must make a connection or a bond with his other half to keep their powers from overwhelming them."

"And...what will happen if they find that connection?"

"Failure to do so leads to unspeakable consequences and death."

That surprised me. That was such a high price to pay but considering that they have to fulfill conditions to keep their supernatural abilities under control sounded more plausible.

For every boon, there will always be a bane as they say.

Looking at every recording, stored information and statues on this island, I looked at my fiance and felt sad that he was scared to tell me this.

"You are afraid that I might run if you revealed this?" I asked him and he leaned against me and crushed my body against his.

"...Yes. I have always had that fear. You have been so patient and so kind with my faults and my scandalous past; I was afraid that you may just be keeping it all in and that one more problem might send you over the edge." his voice sounded vulnerable.

This strong, proud, charismatic man who is half my size....is afraid to lose me.

"When...you asked me if I would die for you...Is this because...once I truly tie myself to you, it could happen?" I asked him and he heaved out an exhausted breath.

"Once we marry. There will be a ritual that will bind our fates together which in simple terms...mean that if your love for me is not strong; the possibility of death can happen. Many past kings have died because their lady love strayed or that their affection faded over time, Some past queens even died young because they could not keep their husband's powers at bay." he trembled under my touch. "Oh god, hearing that makes me understand why a lot of females back off when my ancestors tell them this."

"Leone?" I felt his sadness in my mind, the specter of death in his mind was enough to make him scared for me.

" Rina...this is why Illyrians go after a girl they want to get serious with; They are our anchor...our blessing from the Seer Lady. For us, it is a symbol of what true love is and what it represents. I have been around too many people who use and discard others like they have no care in the world and it feels empty. A Meaningless existence." he looked at me. "This is the royal family secret...our blessing and curse."

The gentle waters of the lake and the echoes of the crystals swooshing around the underground space were the only sounds I could hear apart from my beating heart

"I am asking you now...Sarina Larusso, Duchess of Ladon. Do you still want to be with me despite the fact that I'm fucked up and I have all these strings attached to me?" he asked me as he stepped back and looked at me with an unreadable gaze.

Being told all this before the Bride's Trial was scary. Any woman would have taken the easy way out and left him to his fate. But the second he pulled away from me....

A sense of loss filled my being so much that I grabbed his hand before he could move out of my reach. Despite laying out every scary incredible thing that could happen to us if our connection was not strong enough...

"Rina?"

I couldn't.

I am already in love with him.

Even if the Gates of Hell awaits me for being with him, I still want to be with him.

"If I walk away....Will you hate me?" I asked him.

"No." his golden eyes flickered with gentleness but it was also tinged with a bit of sadness. "I can understand why you would do it though."

"A-And....what if I end up betraying you or do things that will repulse you? Will you hate me?"

"No. We...will deal with it. I will be more than just your husband. I will be your mate and mates do not abandon one another. I am prepared to do that." he answered, his deep voice full of strength.

"Then...." I stumbled as I tried to close the distance between us. His massive arms went around me and I put my arms around his neck. "I will stay. "

A slight choking sound came from him as he hugged me and swung me around as he breathed out a sigh of relief.

As if the island can feel our emotions. The lake's waters hummed a silent song and the floating crystals glowed even brighter. But that was not the only thing that happened.

The Lady Seer's statue also glowed, the base of the statue flashing with a soft pink light as a warmth I have never felt before enveloped us. I blinked when I saw her in my mind.

Her raven black hair and quicksilver eyes stared right at me while sitting regally on a stone bench overlooking the lake. Her unworldly beauty was solidified even more from the smile of approval from her as she reached out and I felt a touch of her hand on my cheek. The feeling was warm like a Mother's love and I felt tears pool against my eyes.

Her rosy lips moved but no sound came from it but I can somehow understand it.

O' Bride of my descendant, you have passed my test.

In thine heart, I have seen your soul and thy love is strong.

Go forth. Be happy my child.

"Lady Vivienne..." I breathed in awe and surprise as I suddenly blinked and she was gone

"Rina? Are you alright?" Leone's voice made me grip his arm.

"I-I heard her! The Lady Seer...She-she talked to me!"

"Really? That has not happened in a long time." he nuzzled my cheek. " What did she say?"

"T-That I passed...whatever that meant." I hugged him tight. "but somehow I felt her hand and it was unlike anything I have ever felt before....like...like everything will be alright."

He laughed and then his lips came down to coax mine. I kissed him as I felt his overwhelming relief, wonder and love flow into me as our bodies seeked each other's touch.

Leone groaned deeply as his hand cradled my nape and tipped my face upwards as his mouth angled sideways to deepen our kiss. Heat infused my cheeks and I found myself becoming breathless by his kiss and the way he secured his hands on my body.

"Not here...Once the trial is over. Then will I hold you like this again." He raggedly growled out amidst our bated breaths once our kiss ended; his burning amber eyes were smoldering with male frustration. "Count on it duchess..."

I only nodded because sharing a kiss here somehow felt more magical than usual. It was like any doubts that I was even right for him was erased.

After we helped each other become more presentable, he took mybhand and lead me back to the dark tunnel leading outside.

"Leone...Can we go down here when the time is right? I want to read some of the old scripts here."

This time my husband-to-be smiled at me as we came out of the destructured fountain which began to fixe itself until it was a working again.

"We can. As my fiancee; the secrets of the Royal Archive must be taught to you in preparation for your role as queen." He then kissed my forehead. "But for now...baby steps. Let's get through the trials okay?"

I nodded and although I just passed the Lady's test. Now I must undergo another....

My trial as a bride now begins.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.9K 3K 65
A FULANI COUSIN'S LOVE STORY --- "Whether you love me or not that's your problem, whether you want this marriage or not that's your buisness, Halima...
885K 27K 35
"And how does that make you feel?" "You want to know how I feel when she refuses to suck my cock?" Red blotches donned on Isabella's cheeks. He had n...
1.5M 76.2K 113
In which, a paranoid schizophrenic vows to avenge his fiancee's death by taking revenge on the woman who Killed her. _____________ A modern day depic...
12K 766 29
Wattpad Exclusive! Nearly beaten to death, a man wakes up in a place he does not know. Neither can he remember how he even ended up there. Waking up...