As Black As It Gets

By NJNJ14

(COMPLETE) Temah Amoah, an aspiring journalist and article editor joins one of the biggest companies that New... More

Author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Number 1!
Chapter 11
Chapter 11.5
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 13.5
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Wattys
New character contest!
Chapter 17
Chapter 18.1
Chapter 18.2
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 21.2
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Sweet Tooth update: Covers.
Chapter 28
Sweet Tooth out now!
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Help me out?
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
High school story?
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
New Book Alert!
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Guysss
Chapter 45.
Chapter 46
Epilogue
Last big Thank You
Violets Are Blue- Covers!
Violets Are Blue~ OUT NOW!
Blacker Than That ~ Out Now!
Newest Book: OUT NOW!

Chapter 5

26K 1.4K 627
By NJNJ14

^^ Icy girl- SAWEETIE
^^^^
Shoutout to xoxomelanintt , who was the first comment of the last chapter.

You already know how much I appreciate you, sis!
You're amazing! Keep doing you.  💛😁

Thank you for your support.

***

Temah Amoah's POV

Monday rolls around a lot quicker than I expected.

Curtís and I hung out for pretty much the whole weekend.

We didn't do anything!

We just hung out as friends.

Like always.

We decided to keep the relationship platonic as it always is.

Shit always gets awkward when couples around here break up, so we decided not to even go there.

In fact!

This weekend I'm helping him get ready for a date, with a supposedly amazing girl.

I get out of bed and trudge to my bathroom, doing my morning routine, before tying my hair up and taking a shower, careful not to get it wet.

After showering, I dry off and rub my body in Shea Butter, before getting doing my makeup and getting dressed.

I look at my outfit in the mirror and grin.

^^ Temah's fit

I look good.

I put on my shoes and grab my bag, making my way out of my apartment.

I quickly go down the stairs, only stopping once, to grab the bag of groceries I bought yesterday putting it in front of Mrs Birchman's door and knocking twice, before walking off.

Mrs Birchman is the local old sweetheart.

She always has something nice to say and a spot of knowledge to give.

Me and my siblings all love her like a grandma and she loves us too.

I make my way into the parking lot and find my car, throwing my bag into the back and then sitting in the driver's seat.

I put the key in the ignition and start her up, driving out of the lot.

Once I am on the road, I start to play my music.

I rap along to the lyrics, dancing in my seat as I drive along.

Soon enough, I pull up to the building with 20 minutes to spare.

I walk inside, and greet Crystal at the front desk.

"Good morning, Temah." She says, smiling brightly.

"Good morning Crystal" I respond, returning her smile.

She stands up.

"I'll show you to you around quickly, before Mr Coleman gets here and gives you your tasks." She says.

I nod and follow her.

She shows me where all of the fire exits are and the She shows me the bathroom and then the main conference room, where the majority of meetings are held.

Next up, is the common room, where employees go to relax on breaks and she shows me where everything goes.

Lastly, is Mr Coleman's office inn e again in case and then mine.

She gives me the key and then hands me a scrap of paper with the login details, and how to change the password so I can remember it.

She then leaves me, with a small wave, before disappearing around the corner.

I take a deep breath and slit the key in, opening the door.

I step into my office and I take in my surroundings.

It's beautiful!

I walk up to the desk and run my fingers over the table's smooth surface, taking in the room's fresh scent.

I snap out of it and sit in the seat at my desk and I use the piece of paper to login and set up the computer.

It takes its time, so I get up and make my way to the employee common room, to make myself a coffee, while I wait.

When I get there, there is a man there, filling a glass with some water.

He turns, hearing movement as I walk in.

Damn...

What, is it a requirement for people who work here to be extremely good looking?!

^^ Bryce Coleman- King.

He gives me a small smile and then extends his hand.

"You must be the rookie?" He says and I bite back a chuckle.

"Temah" I greet, taking his hand.

He smiles.

"Beautiful name, for a beautiful lady" He says with a wink, letting go of my hand and leaving me a little shocked.

Is he flirting with me?!

I grab a mug out of the cupboard and put it in the placeholder of the coffee machine, before clicking the settings.

"So, who are you?" I ask, when the machine starts whirring.

"I'm Bryce" He says with an easy grin.

I say nothing, but just nod a little.

"You the new Secretary for the boss?" He asks.

"Yeah, I start in 10 minutes" I respond, taking a little quick look at my watch.

"Ah, see" he responds.

"What section do you work in?" I ask.

He grins again and I can't help but smile back.

"I'm the chief editor for the clothing and design section" he says and I look at him , trying not to let the shock show on my face.

The machine 'pings' and I take off the steaming mug, adding the sugar.

"Interesting subject choice" I say and he chuckles.

"I agree. I can tell you more about it over the lunch break, if you'd like?" He says and I feel my face heat up, making me look away shyly.

"I'll see you around Bryce" I say, smiling at my coffee and walking out of the common room, to my office.

I get inside and just as I sit down, the phone next to me rings loudly, making me jump.

I pick up the phone almost immediately.

"Hello?" I say.

"Miss Amoah, my office now, please" Mr Coleman's voice says.

"Yes, si- -" I start to say, but he had already hung up.

What the fuck?

I stand up and quickly make my way out of the office and through the corridor, until I reach Mr Coleman's door, which is opposite my office.

I knock twice and wait.

"Enter" a voice says and I open it, stepping inside.

Woah.

This office is huge!

Now that I have time to take it in well, It's got to be double, if not triple the size of mine!

The walls a plain black colour and the floor wooden and polished without a scratch, the room is the epitome of tame but stylish.

There are several pieces of art on the wall, clearly extremely expensive and the large bookshelf on the side wall, contain several books, with aged spines and fading titles.

There is a grey rug underneath his mahogany desk and I can't help but feel slightly intimidated by his wealth.

The most expensive thing I own, is the couch I bought from IKEA, a few years ago and it was on sale...

My boss sits at his desk and looks up, when I close the door.

He wears a grey suit that looks tailored to his body shape, not a single thread hanging loose at any point.

His face is oiled to perfection and even from where I am standing, I know that he must smell incredibly good.

"Miss Amoah" He greets, curtly, his deep voice pulling me out of my daydream.

"Sir" I respond and he puts his pen down, clasping his fingers together to make a steeple.

"I trust that Crystal has shown you around, with all of the procedures?" He asks.

"Yes, sir, she has, quite well" I say.

He nods.

"And I trust that you are settled and ready to work?" He asks.

"Yes sir" I respond.

He turns to the side in his chair and picks something off of the ground.

He stands up with it and walks up to me with a huge stack of...

Newspapers?

"You have until the start of tomorrow morning's shift to analyse all of these papers" he says, dropping them in my arms, making me stumble back a little.

Tomorrow morning?!

To analyse all of this will take at least 3 business days!

Is this nigga being for real?!

Son of a muthafu- -

"Yes, sir, I'll have it done as soon as I can" I say, cutting off my thoughts before I can blurt it out.

He nods and returns to his seat.

"You'd better get started then" he says and then he goes back to writing.

I exit his office as quickly as I can, half expecting myself to drop the stack, with its weight, throwing me off balance.

I walk to my office and as soon as I am inside, I drop the newspapers at the side of my desk, letting them land with a 'THUD!'

I sigh and sit down at my desk, picking up the red highlighter as well as a normal black biro-pen and the clean notebook next to it.

I pick up the pen, wear my glasses and get to work.

I start by highlighting the important dates, writing them in the notebook and then making brief notes on the important parts.

I double take as I look at the date.

These newspapers date back to 1985!

What an asshole!

Yeah, the asshole, who's paying your bills, T!

I sigh and continue with the work as best as I can.

***

Why didn't I just apply for a job at the school nearby?!

It is now 8:45 in the evening!

My shift ended hours ago and I have managed to achieved just over halfway of them and my neck and back as well as my fingers are aching so much, that I have decided to take a break.

My head is down in the table, supported by my arms and I'm trying to keep my breathing consistent.

Don't... Fall... Aslee-

A knock at the door wakes me right up.

"Come in" I say clearing my throat.

The knob clicks and the door opens.

Without looking, I start to speak in a rush.

"Sir, I've nearly finished here, it should be done by- -"

"Hey, hey calm down" a voice says.

I look up to see Bryce in the doorway, holding a couple of coffee cups.

"I noticed that your light was still on, so I figured you'd need this" He says, approaching my desk and placing the coffee in an empty space away from all of the strewn papers.

I look at the mug next to me that is quarter-way filled with cold coffee.

He sits in the chair opposite me and takes a sip.

"Analysis duty?" He asks.

"Yeah, you familiar?" I ask almost sarcastically, dropping another newspaper on the 'done' pile.

He grins a little.

"I got given the job on the spot" he says making me look up at him in shock.

"Oh, don't worry, he gave me my stack of newspapers immediately after that and I had the day to get it done, if I wanted to keep the job" he chuckles and I laugh along with him.

"He's pretty ruthless, huh?" I ask.

Bryce shrugs a little.

"He isn't always this brutal" he says and I snort.

"What, are you two close?" I ask him.

When he remains silent, I look at him.

"He's my little brother. Half-obviously." He says with a chuckle.

"Brother?!" I ask in shock.

"Nah, get out my office! You're a danger to us all!" I joke and he bursts out laughing and I join him.

"Very, funny" He says sarcastically.

I grin.

"So you and the boss are literally the same person" I say, poking more fun at him.

He snorts and then holds his chest as if offended.

"I'll have you know, that we couldn't be more different if we tried to be the same person" he says, picking up a newspaper.

"I'll tell you more about us at breakfast tomorrow, since you skipped lunch with me" He says nonchalantly.

I look at him open mouthed.

"You really don't quit, do ya?" I ask and his face breaks into a smug smile.

"One of the qualities of an esteemed business man" he says with a wink.

I giggle.

"Right, let me get back to work, I say, trying to grab the newspaper off of him.

He pulls back, holding it out of my reach.

"Nope. I'll read and highlight, you write down." He says.

"But, Mr Coleman said- -" I start, but he waves his hand dismissively.

"Mr Coleman, is at home, fast asleep, so that he doesn't loose brain cells at tomorrow's meeting." Bryce says, putting sarcastic emphasis on the 'Mr Coleman'.

"Unless he goes around checking the security cameras to see what time you leave and what you're doing, which I assure you he won't, he will never know!" Bryce says with a shrug.

I regard him for a moment.

"What, you think I was able to do all of that analysis by myself?" He asks with a wry knowing grin.

"Alright, let's do this!" I say.

He smiles broadly and starts reading aloud.

"2007, 'Child Gone Missing on Holiday'- Warren Mills." He starts...

———————————
Hey all!

Did you guys get my newspaper reference?

What do you all think of Bryce?

What do you think will happen next?

Let me know in the comments.

Until next time

~ Xo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

644K 16.5K 34
"We're not supposed to be doing this Sebastian..." Sebastian pulled me closer to him not looking away from my forest green eyes. "You and I both kno...
136K 5.2K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...
214K 12.3K 40
(COMPLETED) "What... do I make you nervous your honour?" He asks into my ear, his tone enough to make my stomach flutter. "I'm not a judge yet, you...
622K 23.8K 67
"Why do you do that?" "Do what?" "Talk down on yourself. Every time you get frustrated with yourself you resort to talking bad about yourself." "Thos...