Cursed Saint

Von Bre2k9

THIS STORY HAS BEEN ABANDONED! PLEASE SEE THE CHAPTER LABELED WHY ISN'T THERE MORE!!!! It was such a simple a... Mehr

Cursed Saint
1 - Act of Bravery
2 - Taken
3 - Determination
4 - Will to Protect
5 - Pieces
6 - Promise of a Lifetime
7 - Before Your Eyes
8 - Zero to Hero
9 - Nature's Wonders
10 - Betrayal
11 - Not Alone
12 - Capture
13 - Secrets
14 - Truth Behind the Curse
15 - Escape
16 - Blind Love
17 - Had Enough
Halloween Special: Konoha Manor Ghost
18 - Someday
19 - Family
Why Isn't There More????
Midnight

The Dragon's Scale

46 1 0
Von Bre2k9

Relevant Tags: Contemporary Fantasy, Action, Adventure, Dragons, Male Protagonists, Humor, YA/Middle Grade

Summary

     When gym becomes a fight between reality and a burning forest, Josh Davidson realizes his recurring dream might be a sign he's going crazy. Especially when the school bully tries to murder him with energy fists. Not to mention his only way to survive is a voice in his head that won't shut up and a beautiful girl who can shoot ice arrows. 

     Turns out the truth can be crazier than insanity. The voice belongs to a dragon he's now soul-bound to and the girl is a Paladin, a group of humans like him. It's like a wish come true, and he cannot wait to join this new world of dragons and magic.

     Except the Paladins are not alone. A darkness is rising from its slumber, intent on destroying the Paladins and everything they stand for. When Josh's baby brother gets dragged into their plans, things get personal.

     With only a little bit of experience and a disjointed group at his side, Josh risks not only losing his brother -- he risks losing a war.

CHAPTER ONE

THERE WAS FIRE EVERYWHERE.

"Davidson."

Dark flames ate the surrounding trees as he sprinted through the forest. The fire turned the moonlight that slipped through the plumes of smoke into an eerie purple. Along with the enraged roars and shrieks of pain, it felt like he had run head first into his worst nightmare.

"Joshua Davidson?"

A loud creak broke through the crackle of the fire. He lunged out of the way before a burning tree could crash down on him. His heart twisted as he glanced back at the tree. This forest had been his home for his entire life, and now it was being destroyed without a second thought.

"Is Joshua Davidson here?"

A woman's anguished shriek broke through his haze. He shook his head and then continued bounding through the forest. A home wasn't the only thing he may lose. He had to find them before-

"Dude!"

Josh jerked as someone shook his shoulder. The blazing forest vanished, the school gymnasium taking its place. Curious students stared at him. A few snickered. Josh dragged his eyes from them to the one who had shaken him.

Tom, a guy Josh hang out with at school and played games with, glared at him. He pointed to their left.

Josh blinked, still adjusting to the abrupt scenery change, before following Tom's finger. Mr. Willis stood beside Mrs. Barlo. Both frowned in Josh's direction.

"Yeah?" He didn't know if he should be directing the question to Tom or the teachers.

Mr. Willis was the one to answer. "Glad that you could join us, Davidson. Here I was thinking you were absent," he said, then peered at Josh. "You okay? Seemed pretty out of it?"

He still felt out of it, but he tried to smile convincingly. "Just daydreaming a bit, Mr. Willis. Sorry about that."

Mr. Willis eyed him a moment longer before continuing with his roll call.

"You on something, Josh?" Tom whispered.

Josh scoffed. The action helped him feel more like himself. "Of course not. "Like I said, I was just daydreaming."

"Mr. Willis said your name three times and you just stared like you were on another planet."

"Exactly. Nothing important was happening," Josh said, and Tom chuckled.

Thankfully, Tom stopped his questioning and turned to another friend to discuss a new game that was coming out. Usually Josh would jump right into any gaming discussion, but he chewed on his lip and stared at Mr. Willis as he continued calling out names.

Three times. How could Mr. Willis call his name three times and Josh not respond? He faintly remembered something speaking his name, but it had been in the very back of his mind. A mere buzz trying to compete with all the other noises in the dream.

No, daydream, because he hadn't fallen asleep standing in the middle of school. Though what he saw in his daydream did mirror the dream that he had been plaguing him for a week.

At first Josh found the dream cool, but every time it occurred, it felt more real. The past few nights he had awoken in a cold sweat, awaiting the inferno to swallow him and battling a desperate need to find them, whoever they were. Maybe that was the issue now. Lack of sleep made for more intense daydreams, and those daydreams followed the only dream he'd had for so long.

"Okay, class, since it's nice out today, we'll be playing soccer down at the soccer field," Mrs. Barlo announced, giving Josh a gracious chance to avoid his thoughts. "Follow in an orderly line. Anyone who rough houses will have to sit out."

"Yeah, sure, nice out," Tom grumbled as he and Josh made up the back of the line heading out. "That's why I almost fell on my backside this morning."

"It's not the teachers' fault if you can't handle a bit of morning dew," Josh said.

Tom pushed his shoulder. Josh stumbled away with a laugh. "You know what, Josh? I'll love seeing you survive the game tonight without an assassin watching your back."

"At least you'll enjoy watching me be awesome." Josh laughed harder when it earned him another shove.

Their conversation remained on games as they walked to the soccer field, and Josh could hug Tom. They weren't the closest of friends, but he was grateful to have someone in the class to ground him. The more he talked to Tom, the further away the dream felt.

The class walked across the school parking lot and followed a side road leading to the sport areas. To the left was the football stadium and to the right were the baseball and soccer fields.

When they reached the soccer field, Josh had to admit that Tom was right. The grass was slick, but anyone with an ounce of coordination should be able to handle it. Anyways, it was cool to play in a place specifically for soccer.

"Okay," Mr. Wilson said. He glanced over the class as they formed a line at the field's center. "Gifford, Nelson, you two are team captains this game."

Josh resisted an eye roll. Of course, Brian Nelson and Darren Gifford. At least Mr. Wilson hadn't chosen his football players as team captain's the first time the class played soccer. Two broad, muscled boys broke away from the rest of the students. They smiled while tossing taunts back and forth.

"Okay, boys, pick your teams."

The first few picks came at rapid fire, but as the line dwindled, the two captains analyzed their remaining choices. Brian had already claimed Tom, so Josh mentally pleaded for Brian to pick him as well.

Darren's eyes scanned the line. When they landed on Josh, he was reminded that he wanted on Brian's team for other reasons than to be with Tom.

A rush of annoyance and disgust flowed through Josh as his eyes met Darren's. He must have felt the same because his analytical frown turned into a sneer.

A spark of excitement joined Darren's anger. Josh's stomach rolled and he straightened from his slouch. Was the brute going to pick Josh just to spite him? He relaxed when Darren picked a girl a few students down. Brian chose Josh next, only adding to his relief.

"You glare Darren out of picking you or something?" Tom asked when Josh jogged over.

"Something like that. Who wants to be on a team with a ball hog?" Josh waved off the subject.

Tom accepted the reasoning. Josh released a long breath and willed the tension away from his shoulders. Great. Two subjects he had lied about to avoid.

To add to his glorious day, Brian decided Josh would be best fit as the goalie. Tom coughed to hide his smirk. Josh sent him a quick glare before running to the goal.

Brian assigned the rest of the team their parts, and Darren did the same for his team. Mr. Willis checked with both sides, nodded his satisfaction, then gave the whistle for the game to begin.

And with it came the chaos of high school gym.

Josh would rather be out on the field, but being stuck at the goal provided a hilarious view. Students on both sides almost fell on their faces trying to kick or steal the ball. Missed passes had the ball changing sides every few seconds. If he was playing, he would be annoyed. Waiting at the goal, he snickered at the failed attempts to play.

Where were they? They had to be here somewhere.

Josh stiffened. The edges of his vision danced with the flames as thoughts not his own whispered through him. No, not again. He had already escaped the dream.

The grassy field before him wavered, momentarily replaced with the burning forest.

How was this attack even happening? The sanctums were guarded from anyone finding their location. They should have been safe.

This wasn't going to happen again. Josh gritted his teeth and rubbed the heels of his palms against his eyes.

"Josh!"

He jerked his head up as a few different voices called his name. The forest was gone again, but he didn't have time to be relieved. Darren's team had gained the ball and kicked it his way. He dove for it, but the ball sailed past his fingertips.

Josh groaned before pushing himself up. If he thought his teammates had looked foolish, he could only imagine how he had just looked. This dream was getting annoying.

"You daydreaming again, Josh?" Darren asked, just quiet enough the others running back toward the center wouldn't hear.

Josh clenched his jaw and tossed the soccer ball across the field. "How about you just shove it, Darren?"

Darren gave a nonchalant shrug and smiled innocently. "Just checking on a classmate."

Josh glowered at Darren's back as he ran toward the center, his shoulders shaking with laughter. If Josh had a say, Darren's team was not getting another point. All he had to do was shake off this dream.

Except the dream didn't agree with his plans. Dark flames clouded his vision and random burning trees sprouted in the field as the game proceeded. Josh pursed his lips and willed himself to concentrate despite the annoyances. He had a few close calls, but the other team failed to get the ball passed him again.

Josh really needed to sleep that night. He couldn't let his daydreams get this intense again. At least it wasn't consuming again. He felt like himself while seeing the flashes of the daydream, not like he was being absorbed into a mind not his own-

Voices drifted his way from the left. He craned his head in their direction. When he didn't recognize them, he ran in the opposite direction. There was too much of a chance they were the ones who caused the fire.

Josh groaned. Come on! That wasn't supposed to be a jinx.

A small crowd built in the center of the field, battling for the ball. They shifted between a group of people and a cluster of trees. The dream tugged at Josh even as he tried to shove it away.

Stop it, he ordered. His insides tightened into a painful ball when the dream didn't listen. Something thundered in his ears. He couldn't decide if it was the burning forest, the enthusiastic students, or his own fear. Whatever it was, he wanted to escape it.

His eyes flicked to the teachers. All he had to do was yell and they would come running. Would they think he was crazy? Was he really going to risk them thinking that over something he could probably fix by sleeping?

Josh jerked his attention back to the center when he caught movement from the corner of his eye. He fought the urge to groan again even as a thrill traveled through him.

Darren had the ball and barreled his way. As much as Josh wanted to deny the jerk a point, could he not have chosen a better time?

Steeling himself against the dream flashes, Josh spread his stance and focused on the ball. A few students tried to stop Darren, but their attempts proved useless. Within moments, he would be in scoring range with nobody between him and Josh. Darren must have realized this as well because he sent Josh a quick sneer before dodging another player.

A flaming tree flickered over the other boy. Josh squinted until he saw Darren dipping past another playing. This was getting bad. Maybe after this he would ask the teacher to go to the nurse's where he could lie down. For now, he would stop this ball.

Fear clenched his heart as he sprinted deeper into the forest. The sounds of battle had risen to an unrelenting roar all around him. Please, he mentally pleaded. His eyes burned, and he didn't think it was from the smoke. Please be okay. I need you to be okay.

Josh threw his head to each side until all that remained of the dream was a desperation constricting his chest. Just in time, too, because Darren had escaped Josh's teammates.

Josh mentally kicked himself as he prepared to block. From Darren's angle, the ball would be going toward the left. Sure enough, when he kicked, the ball was mid-height and to Josh's left.

Easy enough to block. Josh wouldn't even have to dive. He went to lunge-

Where were they? He had to find them.

The dream yanked at him at the same time he tried to jump for the ball, and Josh's foot slipped on the dew with a shout. He fell sideways, and the ball was coming straight for his face.

Josh started to raise his hands-

He couldn't take it anymore. Even if it revealed his location to the enemies, he had to know.

Josh felt something smack against his face. The ball. It couldn't be anything else, but the dark fire had consumed his vision. He felt his head jerk back, and he thought he heard laughter. Maybe a yell. Then he felt himself falling. It was all so sluggish and distant. More like a dream than any of his "daydreams" had been.

He threw his head back and cried out, "Mother! Father!"

Josh slammed against the ground. The impact jolted through him and sent his breath rushing out. He sat up with a wince and rubbed his eyes. Then he waited for the mocking jeer he knew Darren would send his way, because, well, how could he not insult that epic fail?

None came, though, and it took a moment for Josh to realize that was because there was no sound around him. He dropped his hand and his eyes snapped open. Endless darkness greeted him.

Josh scrambled to his feet. This wasn't the dark fire from before. It had quivered as it licked at the air and ate the trees. What surrounded him was a still void. Not a dark void, but instead utterly black.

His heart pounding, Josh looked down. He could see his body, but below him spread more void. It looked as if he was suspended on nothing. His breakfast tried to crawl out as he dragged his eyes upward again, searching for anything to break the void.

"Hello!"

Joshua.

He jumped as a voice echoed in the empty space around him. Josh craned his neck every way in search of the source. It had sounded like a young boy had spoken. There was nothing around him, though, much less some kid.

"Who's there?" Josh called. His only response was his words echoing back to him.

He tried to gulp down the panic bubbling within him. It didn't work. Instead all his uncertainties entangled his chest and made breathing harder.

"Calm down," he whispered aloud. At least his voice broke the silence. "Just think. Calm down and think. At least you're in control of yourself this time."

Yes, because the most positive thought he could think was the only thing that made this feel different from his dream.

A yell built up in Josh's throat. He didn't know if it would be for help or just to scream in frustration, but before he could, something else broke the void's silence.

A low growl resonated from every direction.

The hairs on the back of Josh's neck rose. He spun each way and searched the blackness. He found nothing, but there had to be something.

Another, louder growl sounded, as if the source was trying to agree.

The bubbling panic overflowed into full-blown terror. Josh's chest heaved for breath as he took a few steps back. How could he breathe so hard yet feel like he was breathing so little?

Josh, can you still hear-

Josh flinched as the young boy's voice returned. Before it had time to finish, the ground beneath him shook. He stumbled with a cry, barely managing to stay on his feet. What was going on?

Foolish boy.

Josh's blood ran cold. This voice was the exact opposite of the boyish one. It was much deeper and rough, a spine-tingling growl lacing every word. He could feel the anger seeping from it.

The void heaved before Josh could get control of his fear. He stood no chance; his knees buckled. He crashed onto his hands and knees. His body shook, but he couldn't tell if terror or the tremors caused it.

This is just a dream, Josh told himself. It had to be. Nothing else could explain the insanity. Yet when he heard the third growl, it took all his will not to curl into a ball. This growl had come from right in front of his face. Mouth dry, he forced himself to raise his head.

Something dark grey had broken the black void before him. Its surface shifted like contained smoke. At first it appeared to be a lump close to the ground, but it slowly gained form as it rose higher and higher. The shape wrenched itself upwards, leaving only its bottom part attached to the ground. Josh's eyes widened as he realized what shape the smoke was taking. It looked like a human on their knees. Except no human could make the sounds it did.

Move, Josh ordered his limbs, but he was frozen in place. The only thing moving was the heart hammering in his throat. You need to move!

The smoky figure began to jerk like a wild animal, and as it did, the darkness began to quake harder and harder. Josh threw himself backwards onto his backside with a shout. He pushed himself back a few inches, but he could barely move with the convulsing ground.

Josh screamed as the smoky figure gave an extra hard lurch and the void almost sent him flying. Before he could start moving again, the sound of something-maybe glass-shattering froze him. A splash of white drew his eyes to the creature's head.

White cracks spread across the area that would be the thing's mouth if it was human. He didn't have the chance to breathe before the cracks exploded in smoky bits. Josh caught a glimpse of human skin before the figure released an eye-splitting roar.

The roar drowned out Josh's own scream of pain. He threw his hands over his ears, but it didn't help much. They still rang. The figure paused for only a moment before throwing its body back and releasing another, louder roar. As it did, more white cracks formed, decorating the smoky form like veins.

The figure's roar fell away as it drew itself upright. It tilted its head toward Josh. A sneer spread across its face. Josh expected it to growl at him or, worse, let loose another roar. What it did was far worse.

It spoke.

"You foolish, foolish child. You dared think you could touch his power and I wouldn't notice?"

Josh's heart stuttered as his breath caught. It was the same growling voice from before. He opened and closed his mouth, not sure if he could talk his way out of this, but no words came out. They were stuck behind the dread clogging his throat.

The figure growled. "Your senselessness shall be your end."

The void shook again as the creature snarled. More white cracks spread down one of its legs, only this time, the cracks spread along the void. With a roar, the figure yanked upward. The void lurched as the figure's leg broke from it, leaving a space of blackness and white, jagged lines. The figure got into a half-kneeling position, and then cracks formed along its other leg.

Before the figure could get any higher, blinding white chains burst from the surrounding area. They wrapped around everything in reach - its head, its torso, its arms, its legs, and everything in between. Where they touched, white steam rose and the cracks sealed themselves. The figure howled as it struggled against the chains. It nearly got its second leg under its body, but the chains jerked downwards, dragging it back to its hands and knees.

Much like it had come from the blackness, the figure began to sink back into it along with the chains. The figure thrashed, causing more cracks on its smoky exterior. Most of them were sealed nearly as quickly as they formed. The ones on its face, though, only increased.

The chains had almost pulled the figure completely under before more smoky pieces broke away. First fell a piece from its nose, and then a chunk from its cheeks. Finally, as if a last hurrah, a chunk broke from the right half of its very humanoid face, revealing the only thing possibly worse than everything else.

A fiery red eye stared directly at him. Josh only saw it for a second, but the intense gaze sent a dagger right through him, trying to accomplish the death sentence the figure had not been able to carry out.

Then the figure, and its terrifying eye, was gone, leaving Josh in the unbroken void once more. And this time, he wanted to be alone in it. Of course, he couldn't get his wish.

He didn't even have time to adjust to the lack of the figure before a blinding light replaced the black void around him. Josh threw his arms up to guard his face. He tensed when he realized the ground gave out beneath him, sending him falling once more.

It is time, said a third voice as Josh fell. This one felt oddly familiar, but in his troubled state, he couldn't place where. He is awakening.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

224K 3.6K 57
Naruko is naruto's twin sister... The girl that also have a beast inside of her and wants to be the strongest kunouchi. Sasuke is a lone Uchiha survi...
3.8K 72 19
*Discontinued* Haru a diehard Naruto fan died and was reincarnated as a nonexistent character in Naruto and that character was Kakashi's younger bro...
16K 486 28
[COMPLETE] When Sataki was really young she was tortured for unknown reasons by the guy known as the archer. Raised by Minato, she becomes friends wi...
31.5K 1.4K 17
Pain, that was all I felt as her blade pierced my chest. A bloody smile made its way across my face as memories ran through your mind. I knew from th...