This Life (COMPLETED)

By xojjuliaxo

Book 2 of the Next Life Trilogy: It's been three years. Three years since Alexander proposed. Three years si... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Chapter 21

41 2 0
By xojjuliaxo

The closer the plane gets to landing on the runway the more anxiety fills me. I had a few days being distracted from all the chaos that awaits me, but now I'm back and I'm more scared then ever.

Kain squeezes my hand as I stare out the window watching the ground get closer and closer. Closer and closer to the nightmare I tried to forget. But when your daughter is missing and your relationship with her father is crumbling it's not really possible to forget.

"I'm going to be with you every step of the way Charlotte, we will figure this all out together," Kain whispers in my ear.

I turn to look at him just as the wheels of the plane hit the ground and I'm stuck staring into his hazel eyes. And for a moment I picture what our lives would've been like if my father had never killed me in my first life, if we had found each other in every life afterwards, if we had been together all along. Would life have been easier? Would we have been happier? Would we have been able to have each other to lean on when times got hard?

But then I remember that if that had happened I would have never met Alexander and I would have never had Luna. And despite everything going on right now, I would never take back my time with the both of them. I don't know what's going on with Alex and I, but even if things don't work out in the end, I will forever cherish what we had. And Luna... Well I'm going to get her back. I'm not done making memories with her.

"Let's do this," I say to Kain.

It feels strange to be walking to my apartment that I share with Alexander with Kain by my side, but I brush that feeling away because I have way more important things to worry about.

As we approach the door I hear footsteps behind us and for whatever reason it sends a shiver down my spine. I immediately stop walking and Kain looks to me in confusion. When I turn around I find the same man who I had chased after that one day standing behind us.

"Ms. Crow will be pleased to hear you've listened to your instructions. If not I wouldn't be able to leave you with this note," the man says in his deep accent.

I feel Kain seething beside me as he realizes what's going on. "You're the bastard who hurt her!" I grab a hold of his arm before he can charge at him.

The man chuckles darkly as he throws the letter to us. "Well my work here is done, I'll be seeing you."

Kain pulls from my grip and I have to run in front of him to stop him again. I place my hands on his chest as his tense form stares the man down. I hear the elevator open and when Kain relaxes I assume he's gone. Kain meets my gaze and I place one of my hands on his cheek. "You should have let me go after him," he mutters.

"We can't do anything to risk Luna's safety Kain."

His hardened eyes soften and sadness swirls into his eyes. "Open the letter."

I finally break eye contact with him and lean down to get the letter that still lay by our feet. Kain hovers over my shoulder as I open the envelope and take out the letter.

If you're reading this that must mean you listened to me. Wise choice. Hello again Garrett. You must both be wondering who I am and how I know your true identities. Maybe you'll get your answer once you find me. That is if you get here in time. Luna here is waiting on you, wouldn't want another loyal person to lose their life for you two...

"What the fuck does that mean?" Kain hisses from behind me, ripping the letter from my hand.

Another loyal person... But no one died for Kain and I...

_______________

I sit on the back porch starring into the woods hoping for Garrett to emerge. He was supposed to meet up with me today since my parents would be gone most of the day.

"You know I always hoped Garrett would find someone like you," I hear a familiar voice say from behind me. I turn to see Martha standing in the doorway with a broom in hand.

"What do you mean?" I ask curiously.

Martha smiles, "Garrett has always been such a good, genuine person. Since he was a kid he always cared so much for others, not really worrying about himself. But with you for once he doesn't care what others think; he knows that you make him happy so everything else doesn't matter. Of course it's a good think to care for others, but he never put his own happiness first until you came along. I can see it in his eyes every time he looks at you."

My eyes felt watery from her words and I chuckle at my reaction. "You have no idea how happy that makes me Martha."

"Garrett hasn't had the easiest of lives so having you come into his life is a true blessing Elizabeth, you have no idea the change I've seen in him since you two met," she continues and one of my tears escapes, slipping down my cheek.

"All I did was love him," I say lightly.

"All I ask is you keep loving him Elizabeth, no matter what happens. You two are meant to be together."

"I'll always love Garrett, you don't need to worry about that," I smile at Martha and she gives me a grateful grin.

"Well that's a relief," A new voice joins our conversation with an amused tone. "What are you saying to her Martha?" He asks with a chuckle.

I turn back to the yard where Garrett stands staring at us with a smile. I can feel my face light up just at the sight of him and when his eyes meet mine I feel lighter.

"Hi," I say at the same time Martha says, "Oh just some women talk, just know you've got yourself a good one brother."

Garrett smiles at his sister as he approaches me, "You have got that right." His gaze turns back to me and he lifts me up off the porch step and into his arms. My heart races even after all this time we've been together. Everything about him makes me feel alive.

I hear Martha go back inside, giving us some privacy. "Hello darlin' how's my woman today?"

I lift my head from his chest and smile widely at him. "Really good, always good with you." Garrett's dimples emerge at my words.

Before he can say anything the back door swings back open. "Elizabeth! Your parents are home early! I didn't even hear them come in, but they're headed this way looking for you! I tried to stall them, but they need to talk to you!" Martha urges frantically.

Garrett sets me back down and gives me a worried look as we notice there's nowhere to hide out here. Martha groans and rushes to us grabbing Garrett's arm and dragging him down the stairs, "Come, hurry!" I watch as she pushes Garrett under the porch before rushing back to me, just in time for the back door to open again.

My parents stand staring at us suspiciously. "Oh! Mr. Walton I was just coming back to let you know I found Elizabeth!" Martha rushes out.

My father looks at her in disgust before looking at me expectantly. "Hello father, I apologize I was just sitting out here enjoying the nice weather," I say timidly.

"Well enough of that we have things to discuss," he says curtly.

My heartbeat picks up and not in the excited way it does when I'm around Garrett. "What about?"

"The next election is just a few months and our family appearance isn't as strong as it once was, you don't attend any events Elizabeth. You're making us look bad," he snarls. I flinch back and Martha puts a reassuring hand on my back that doesn't go unseen by my father.

"What are you still doing here help? This is family business!" He glares at her.

I feel angered by the way he talks to her and can't help but snap back. "Well then why don't we go elsewhere father? She's doing nothing wrong."

My father turns his glare to me, "Fine. We will continue this in my office in five minutes. Try actually showing up this time Elizabeth or I won't be so easy on you," he says before turning to Martha. "And you! Go get supper started it ain't going to make itself!"

With that he storms inside and my submissive mother who I forgot was even there follows silently behind him. I feel my body deflate with the absence of his presence.

I see Garrett apprehensively come out from under the porch looking to me for the okay. I give him a nod and he walks back over.

I turn to Martha with a smile as she gazes at me in concern. "Thank you for that. You're a really loyal friend..."

______________

Holy shit!

Martha! Martha died protecting us. Maybe not right away, but she died of complications from the knife wound. She got stabbed to protect Elizabeth and Garrett!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

165 9 21
BOOK 3! THE LAST BOOK! This is about Queen Thena she has found her place in the world! Her wedding will be the party of the century. But Her family i...
417K 12K 98
It's been two years since Beatrice Prior's death, and no one has taken it harder than Tobias has, he still can't get over her. But one day she will...
131K 5K 24
COMPLETED - 2015 - Sequel to These Four Walls - Book 3: "These Two Hearts" ~~~ Three years ago, Ross and Laura fell in love. Three years ago all w...
44 15 15
So much has happened since it all began. Weddings, Miscarriages, Funerals, Long-lost family members, Surprise pregnancies, Divorce, and so much more...