Childhood Friends (Attack on...

By missymaris

Nora Westfield, a noble girl from inside Wall Sina, was rescued by a teenaged thug by the name of Levi when s... More

Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five// Epilogue
Author's Note// Afterward
Sequel?
SEQUEL POSTED

Childhood Friends (Attack on Titan// Levi Ackerman Fanfiction)

79.6K 1.9K 3.1K
By missymaris

DISCLAIMER: This is the most asked question I've had on this story so I'll clarify -

This story was written long before Isayama revealed Levi's age so I took creative liberty and assigned him an age.

In the current timeline, Levi is 25 and Nora is 20.

When they first met, Levi was 15 and Nora was 10.

They are 5 years apart. Nora is slightly older than the other recruits (I believe they are 15/16 in the current timeline). This is important, because it makes Nora reasonably age appropriate for any character as a partner.

_____

"Levi! Levi look!"  a bumbling girl calls, dark brown curls dancing on her shoulders. "Look how pretty!" she exclaims, holding up a pale yellow daisy.

"Very pretty," he replies, voice drawl as usual. She didn't seem to mind, though.

"Can I put it in your hair?" she asks, the green hues of her hazel eyes coming through more in the sun. His grey eyes look up at her from under his black lashes.

"No," he says simply, the sun illuminating his pale skin.

"Please?" she asks, eyes wide and lips curled into a pouting face.

"Must you?" he asks with a sigh.

"It'd look so pretty in your hair!"

"No."

"Please?"

"Here,"  he sighs again, taking the delicate flower from her small hands. "It looks better in your hair," he says, gently tucking it behind her ear, repositioning her curls to hold it down. "Especially with your Sina clothes."

She smiles brightly at the young man in front of her. "Thank you, Levi!"

Another sigh comes from the young man. "You're welcome, Nora."

~~

"Levi, are you awake?" Commander Erwin asks, knocking on the door to Levi's bedroom. "We're supposed to be leaving to go meet the new recruits."

"It's a surprise new recruits are even joining," the raven haired man replies, voice as bored as always. Commander Erwin enters his room.

"I see you're dressed already. But laying down?" the blonde head of the Survey Corps looks questionably at the young Captain.

"Daydreaming, is all."

"I never took you for one to daydream," Erwin chuckles, extending his hand to the sleepy eyed Levi. "Although I am sorry to interrupt your slumber, as I said before, we must get going."

"I have other things to do, Commander," he sighs. "Besides, I'd rather not see a bunch of brats pissing themselves when they join us."

______

"What is your name, brat?!" the drill sergeant yells, suddenly grasping one of the curls belonging to the girl in front of him. "You look more like a doll than a soldier!"

"My name is Nora Westfield sir!" she replies, attempting to make her voice sound less shaky.

"Why are you so dainty, recruit?"

"Because I was born this way, sir!"

"Where is the rest of you, cadet?"

"I am only this tall, sir! At the age of 15 I don't think I'll be growing anymore, sir!"

The drill sergeant releases one of the curls that he was absent mindedly twisting between his fingers. "You hair is the most ridiculous mess I've ever seen!" he yells, regarding the natural mess that her curls always seemed to look like.

"I know, sir! They are despicable, sir!"

After spewing more insults at her for her 'stupid name' and 'stupid appearance', the drill sergeant left her side and went over to another helpless recruit, bombarding this young man with the same natured insults that she received.

She didn't take them personally. It was simply her first day. The first day of her journey. The first step to take to become a soldier.

She actually managed a smile. She was happy. She was going to make him proud.

~~

"Nora," the ashen haired boy next to girl next to him. "That's your name, right?"

"Right," she replies, fingers shaking. "And you're-?"

"Jean. Jean Kirshchtein," he says, trying to smile. "We've graduated, and you still haven't learned my name?" he teases, light brown eyes twinkling.

"Sorry, I haven't," she says, looking down. "I haven't talked to many people. I've been kind of a loner," she adds with a shrug, eyes still planted to the floor.

"I've noticed," he sighs. "Listen, you should be more confident and less anxious."

"It's been four years, and I feel like everyone has already formed their groups of friends. I'd feel strange to interject this late in the game," the girl pushes a curl behind her ear. "You seem quite chipper, given the circumstances."

"I've learned something, you know,"  he sighs once more. "My friend Marco told me I was a good leader, because I was weak. I've decided to embrace his words."

"Where is your friend now?" she asks, fearing the answer.

"He's staying with Trost." Jean's words are hollow and detached. "However, as a leader you should be able to connect with everyone, whether they be subordinates, equals, or superiors."

"So am I a charity to you? Or a test of your leadership ability?"

"Neither. Since we've graduated and are finally able to pick our factions, I've decided to at least get to know you, considering we may end up in the same group."

"Jean, I may have never talked to you, but I do know you're a pretentious jerk who's dead set on joining the Military Police just to simply live the lavish lifestyle of nobles, which, may I add, is very mundane and boring. I, on the other hand, will not be joining you there. I, for one, was ranked #11 in our class, meaning I cannot join, and two, never in my life will I willingly go back to Wall Sina."

"See, there's an expression of personality!" Jean says happily. "I actually like seeing this side of you. It suites you," he adds with a smile. "But, return to Wall Sina?"

"I'm from the Capital City. And I don't plan on going back there."

"So your reasons for joining the army are just as messed up as mine?" he asks with a laugh.

"Meaning?"

"You wanted to get away from the inner city, and I'm just dying to get into it."

"Bad idea," she says with a grumble.

"Either way, I have something to ask you."

"Go on."

"I know it may be strange for me to ask you this now, considering it's been four years and I've never talked to you before, but better late than never, right?" he says with a chuckle.

"You're losing my interest, and we're about to pick our branches."

"Right, right," he replies, waving her off.

"Then?"

"Why did you really join the military?"

"I've got a friend I want to see again."

~~

Shaking palms.

Was I making the right decision?

Nervous sweats.

Of course I was.

Anxious side glances.

Do I really want this?

Trembling salutes.

Is this just my emotions speaking?

"Yessir!"

No. If nothing else, he's all I have left.

"I welcome you, then, 104th Trainee Squad, to the Survey Corps!"

Too late to back out now.

Thoughts ran through her head. She had stayed, even after the final warning. She listened to the words of Commander Erwin, leader of the Survey Corps. She took in every last syllable that he had uttered.

She accepted the words. She deeply enjoyed them. She smiled when he finished. She was terrified, there was no denying that. Her heart was hammering inside her small body, and she was consciously aware of her fingers trembling. But she knew this was right.

If I could survive Trost, I could survive this, she told herself with a smile. And here I am. I am officially a soldier. I'm going to make him proud of me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 104 14
When wall Maria was breached many lives were devastated. It was a horrific sight...seeing your loved ones being eaten by giant titans. Everyone evacu...
38.5K 1K 43
You are a strong young woman, Y/N Hanzer, who escaped from the Underground City with your best friend, Greg Schneider. But one day, Commander Erwin S...
42.7K 1.7K 43
《Levi x Reader》 |Levi's Time Travel Trilogy| -BOOK 1- ✦•······················•✦•······················•✦ (Y/N) Jaeger, a young woman attending her s...
531K 20.9K 123
[COMPLETED] "(Y/N), after everything we've been through, I have become certain of one thing. I love you. Having to stay away from you for so long onl...