The Duke's Lady

By Lissa34

Holly was the youngest of ten kids, and the most beloved daughter of Lord John Campton. She befriends the Du... More

Chapter One
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Epilogue

The Duke's Lady

78.1K 1.3K 77
By Lissa34

Prologue:

1786, April.....

The hills were alive with activity, the Duke was arriving with his wife and children. Everyone was talking about it. Even the scullery maids, everyone was preparing for the arrival of the Duke. Lord John Campton and his wife saw this as an opportunity for their six daughters. The Duke had four sons and a daughter, at least one of their daughters would have a great opportunity to make an acquaintance with a Duke.. Lord John was sure of a match between one of his daughters to a Duke's son. It didn't matter which one, just as long as it was one of them.

Just to be accepted in the Duke's home would be an honor, but he had six daughters to wed off. Their oldest son John was in Cambridge, and was deep in his studies. He was heir to his estate, that was a nice size for someone who was just a viscount. He had to marry his daughters off, then his life would be peaceful. His daughters were pretty and not of great beauty, except his youngest. Now she was a beauty, but she was the youngest. She was not even fourteen yet. What a pity too, she would have caught one of the Duke's sons. If only she was older, no matter he still had five others that would do.

All six of his daughters were accomplished young ladies, they were well versed in the bible and poetry. They could sew a fine seam, run a house hold, and play a fine tune on the pianoforte'. Though he had his favorite daughter, she was very artistic when painting tables. They all could sing a lovely tune well. but again Holly was his favorite. Mary, Susan, and Charlotte were the oldest three. They were the first to go and he knew that they were getting close to being old maids. Then there are the youngest three, Hannah, Beatrice, and his favorite Holly.

Holly was the most fun out of all of them, she was the one not out of the nursery quite yet. She still ran around playing sword fights and climbing trees. Her brothers were very fond of her, of course she had four older brothers. John was the oldest, then came Paul, David, and Jason. In order of birth, John, Mary, Paul, Susan, David, Jason, Charlotte, Hannah, Beatrice, and Holly. Her sisters were not exactly fond of Holly, well except maybe Susan. Susan was such a lovely girl, she had such a sweet disposition. Martha was always fussing over all of her daughters, but she would fuss more over her Susan. All the girls had blonde hair, but it was a light blonde and they all had blue eyes. Well except Holly whose hair was more of a honey color, Sir John chuckled. She was something and her blueish green eyes were a sea of enjoyment. The man who married his Holly was going to be someone important. Not a baker's son, or the butcher's son. She was meant to be a fine lady.

He knew when the time came to bring her out in society was going to be quick. For who wouldn't want such a beautiful girl as a wife. Well as he rode horseback through the estate he was actually smiling. What could go wrong for his daughters to not make such a connection with one of the duke's sons?

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

" Girls!"

" Yes, mother we will be right down."

Martha was frantic, she was a fluster of nerves. The duchess has sent an invitation to her and her daughters for tea. She watched as her daughters came down the stairs in there best day dresses. She inspected them, making sure that they looked their best, even her youngest had been invited to have tea with them. Apparently the duchess's daughter was the same age as her Holly was. Who knows maybe they could be friends, and that would be good for Holly.

Her sons have taught Holly how to be most ungenteel like, and of course her husband didn't reprimand them for it. Holly was a beauty, she had to admit that but she had older daughters to worry about. As she went down the line of girls, she liked how pretty they all looked in their virginal white gowns.

They were going to be the talk of the town, and Martha loved it. She came to her last daughter, she smiled at her youngest" I am so happy that you decided to look very pretty today."

" Thank you mother, I do want to go see the duchess and meet her daughter."

" Well yes dear, maybe you can be her little friend, you would like that my dear wouldn't you?"

Holly nodded her head in agreement" Yes mother, I would love to have a friend to play with."

Martha patted her on her hand, and looked at all of her tall daughters. Holly was still shorter than her other daughters, but she was still young. They were all so pretty, she was proud to have such lovely daughters. They were sure to catch one of the duke's sons eye, to be married to someone of such higher standing in society was more than one could hope for.

As the carriage pulled around front, the girls started to giggle. Of course they were excited about going to the ducal estate. It was rumored the gardens were a most beautiful sight. Martha reminded her daughters to conduct themselves in the most polite and genteel way possible. They all nodded and were handed up one at a time into the carriage. When each and everyone was in the carriage and settled, they started the journey to the ducal's residence.

As they came around a turn in the road, the biggest estate came into view. It was very impressive to say the least. There was a stone wall surrounding the house, one couldn't see much. Surrounding the great walls of stone were green fields of the most luscious grass. Wild flowers of different colors, and a thick Forrest surrounding the right side of the estate. It was a breath taken view, they crossed the stone bridge that covered the creek down below.

They were almost there when Holly about fell out of the carriage. Martha screamed as she watched her youngest get pushed out of the carriage by her older sisters. A sole rider heard Martha's cries and came riding on horseback to aide the young lady. Holly was hanging on for dear life to the side of the carriage. The carriage came to a stop on the bridge, before the footman could react fast enough, the horseman came to her daughters rescue.

He jumped down from his horse just in time to catch the child, he didn't see the face of the child. She had stuck it in his shoulder sobbing with fright, he set her back in the carriage into her mother's arms. Martha thanked him over and over for saving her daughter's life, he told her there was no need. He was just doing his duty as any gentlemen would have done under the circumstances.

He was the eldest son of the duke, and was very handsome with his dark hair, blue eyes, and chiseled features of a Greek god. He was the most sought after bachelor in all of England, and it was tiresome. He caught all of the young ladies faces, they were all very handsome. Then the girl he saved from certain death turned around. It was like a punch to the stomach, her beauty was overwhelming.

Her sisters were nothing compared to this child, she was beautiful. He knew she was going to be a lot of trouble. He nodded to the ladies and rode back to where his party was waiting. He was thinking of a pair of sea green eyes as he went.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Martha hugged her youngest to her chest, she almost lost her daughter. Her sisters were paying attention to the estate instead of watching how they kept shoving her towards the side. She calmed her down and was thanking the very handsome young man who saved her life. She didn't catch a name but she was so happy that nothing happened to her baby.

They arrived at the grand hall, a footman helped each and everyone down from the carriage. As they assembled just in the hall, they were shown to the ladies parlor. The duchess was sitting with her young daughter waiting their arrival. Holly was still a little shaken up about her near fall to her doom, as she would say. Wait till her father found out, her sisters were going to be in trouble.

Holly knew that they saw her as competition, she couldn't understand why? She loved them all the same, but only Susan was kind to her. Her brothers told her it's because they were jealous of her beauty. She would look in the mirror and not see what was so beautiful of such a plain face.

She sat like a lady as she had tea with the duchess and her daughter. Her daughter was the same age as Holly. They became fast friends, in fact the duchess had planned on it and told her mother so. Lindsay was being sent off to Finishing school, so she could be more lady like. Of course she already had lady like qualities, but her mother said that she needed to refine those qualities.

The duchess took an immediately liking towards Holly, she reminded her of her daughter. What a beauty she was also. She was going to be a great lady one day, and the duchess was so happy that her Lindsay was so taken with her. Martha and the duchess were talking about the town, and then the duchess had a great idea.

" Lady Campton, I was just wondering if you would consider letting your daughter Holly accompany my daughter LIndsay to finishing school?"

" Your Grace, I don't know what to say, you are so kind to my daughter, I would have to speak to her father before giving an answer."

" But of course, I like to think that this opportunity would be most welcome for your daughter."

" It is your Grace, my other daughters were not so lucky as to have this opportunity, and I would think that my husband would not object to it."

" Well I can have my husband send for him, if you like?"

Holly was talking to Lindsay as their mothers conversed about finishing school. She liked her new friend and wanted to go, but she would miss her brothers and father. As Lindsay pointed out that it would give her parents a chance to marry off her sisters. Holly liked the idea since they were in need of husbands. The thought of having the house all to herself was like a dream. There would be no more fighting over whose clothes were whose. Holly could careless about what was in fashion, she just wanted to be outdoors in the gardens. She couldn't stand to be stuck in the house with her five sisters, especially when they whine about everything.

Holly was pleading with her parents the whole evening and the next day, she really wanted to go. They told her everyday for a week that they were thinking on it and discussing it. But would never come out with an answer for her. Till a couple of days before Lindsay was leaving for finishing school. They called her into her father's study and sat her down," Holly, we have come to the conclusion that to let this opportunity to slip through our fingers would be just wrong." Holly was sitting on pins and needles" so we have decided to let you go off to finishing school with her Grace."

Holly jumped up into her father's arms and kissed his cheeks and then her mother's. She immediately ran up the stairs to start packing. Her sisters were all jealous, they never got the opportunity to go to a fancy school. Then they knew that she would be out of the house and they would have a better chance of catching a husband. They weren't stupid, all of the gentlemen looked at her for her beauty. Holly was a great beauty inside and out, something they weren't. Though they loved her, but they were happy that now they had a chance to claim one of the Duke's sons.

The days passed fast, and their little Holly was going away for a couple of years to become a genteel lady. Gone would be the ruffian and in her place would be a lady. Holly was off on an adventure and she was going to make a splash when she came back. Look out world because here comes Holly Campton!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.3K 5.8K 28
Dating is difficult in any culture, at any age. It's hard to find someone who you want to spend time with and who also returns the affection and desi...
26.6K 1.7K 131
"I have sinned greatly against your Majesty" "This child is not your flesh and blood" she informed kneeling in court in the presence of all the offic...
12K 562 39
Riley has been single for over 4 years. By choice. Great family, good friends and happy with her career as a Thoracic Nurse Practitioner. But when he...
1.3M 38.6K 60
***completed*** NOW PUBLISHED ON AMAZON Harry Styles. The strange one. The freak. The one who was too kind for his own good, trapped in a world where...