The Shadows ✔️ [TSS#3][BXB]

By emmastories

COMPLETED Sequel to 'The Wet Divide' Book 3 of The Sector Series More

The Shadows
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XXXXI
XXXXII
Book 4

XXXX

2.5K 151 136
By emmastories

It has taken me 3 Books and a bazillion years but I've done it. I have found the perfect Malakei and his name is Alec Mcgarry. He is in a band called new rules and he is such a funny and down to earth guy. Really charming and if you don't like that that's fine but this is it sis no one will come close to this lovely being (maybe Dylan Jordan)

Also while I have your attention, I hope everyone is keeping safe amidst COVID-19 and make sure to keep inside if you have flu like symptoms. Even if you don't, only go out if you absolutely need to for the moment until this begins to subside.

Happy Reading my loves x

~~~

"Malakei!"

I scream through the cluster of Dry Landers chopping wood as I make my way near the gate. Some Dry Landers turn to me curiously and I notice one tap someone on the shoulder. When he turns around curiously I grit my teeth at the sight.

Malakei goes to wave at me but when he notices the dagger in my hand being thrown at him he immediately ducks away causing the rest of the Dry Landers to move away from the scene. Knowing a fight was going to play out and didn't want to get caught in the cross fire.

"Key?" He questions in confusion. "Are you.." He trails off when he sees me coming closer to him, he register the punch I send towards him causing him to stagger back.

"What-"

"Imagine." I laugh bitterly as I go to punch him again only for him to block my hand but I knew him in the stomach making him groan.

"Imagine having to find out that your best friend is in love with you and just forgot to mention it."

Malakei pales at that as his grip loosens on my arm. He moves back and looks at me wide eyed. I take the opportunity to punch his chest with an angry scream.

"Why didn't you tell me you were in love with me?!"

"I knew you would react like this." He says quietly with furrowed brows as he blocks my punch.

"Maybe I would've reacted better if you told me but instead I had to hear it from someone else! When were you going to tell me? Did the thought even cross your mind you fucking.." I grit my teeth and tackled him to the ground making him grunt as he banged his head on the ground wincing. I pin his arms either side of him to the ground.

"How fucking long?" I question him angrily and he looks up at my building tears behind my eyes opening his mouth before closing it again. I scoff at that.

"How long?!"

"Two years."

I scream before bringing my hand up to punch him in the face but my face scrunches up as I hold my fist in mid air looking down at him. He didn't even try to block himself from getting hit at this stage. He was letting it happen and that angered me even more. Fuelling my emotions as I balled my fist but...I couldn't.

I drop my fist and get off of him, getting up and running my hand through my hair.

"Why?" I scream painfully. "You had so many chances-"

"-No. No I did not." He defends himself as I turn to him moving to get up and approach me. I can see the tears glistening in his eyes as he searches my face trying to show me what he did was right all along.

"You were with Raen and you were happy. You think I would ruin that?"

I wiped furiously at my face, tears in my eyes. He betrayed me, our friendship...it was all a lie. What made me angrier was that he didn't land one punch to me throughout my lashing out at him. I felt so betrayed.

"You lied to me." I state seriously. "And what worse is you lied to Raen. He trusted you! He..."

My voice trails off as I catch a glimpse of silver around Malakei's neck and he had his eyes closed, waiting for what I presumed was a punch from me but when it didn't come he peeled his eyes open, looking at me. He notices my stare and it immediately dawns on him. His eyes widen in realisation.

"Keylin..Key I can explain-"

"Why...why have you got his necklace?"

I whisper in confusion with trembling lips as I shakily move forward and reach for it. Taking the wing pendant between my bloody fingers.

"Why are you wearing this? This...this isn't yours.." I sob in defeat and he swallows, tears falling out of his eyes at my reaction as he tries to mask his pain.

"I'm sorry." He whispers. "You were never supposed to find out this way-I-I'm so sorry Keylin. Gods I'm so sorry."

"Did...did he-"

"He gave it to me." He swallows looking up at me trying to catch my eye but my gaze was on the necklace. My mind swirling with memories of Raen wearing it. Why would he give it away? Why give it to my best friend?

"Please Key, before you overthink things...let me explain-"

"I-I don't need you to explain." I say before bringing both hands around it.

"Take it off." I say sternly as I narrow my eyes at him making his eyes fall. Nonetheless he does as I say and slowly takes the necklace off handing it to me.

As soon as I take it from his hands I'm storming off. Pushing through on looking Dry Landers as I tried to get as far away from the scene as possible.

"Keylin!" Malakei says loudly as he moves forward clutching his stomach. I turn around and see him go to follow me but the look I give him is enough to make him stop.

"Please." I hear him "Please don't leave like this." He whispers defeated and as much as it pains me, my stubbornness was always my downfall- I shake my head painfully and turn around, stalking off.

All I wanted right now...was Raen.

"Raen!" I scream as I push through the trees and branches, trying to make my way to the lake where I last saw him.

I wondered why I never dreamed of him again. Maybe I had finally sent him away for good. What I thought was a good idea at the time turned out to be an awful one. Now I needed him more than ever. I needed answers.

"Raen please. I need you right now." I say huskily before tripping on a branch making me yelp as I come tumbling down to the ground. Groaning as I pull myself up but when I spot a pair of dirty shoes in front of me I look up.

"Raen." I say up to him, lips wobbling as he frowns down at me, squatting down towards me with a knowing look.

"I knew you would come back to me Key..I hoped you would."

"I'm sick of this."

"Sick of what?"

"I'm sick of living Raen. I can't stand to be without you. I miss you so much. I-I can't do this anymore, I want to be with you." I choke as I bring a hand up to rub my tears.

I feel his cold hands move to cup my face as he looks at me sadly.

"I'm sorry you have to live this life alone. Forgive me, let me make it up to you." He says as one of his hands tangles in my hair and I look up at him glassy eyed and curious.

"You'll take me with you?"

"I don't have the power to do that." He smiles sadly at me and before I can say something he's moving forward close to my ear as the wind picks up around us.

"Just let me in Keylin. That way we can be together. You won't have to go through the pain alone. Never again if you let me in..." He says into my ear and I frown in confusion as he moves back but caresses my neck with his hand. Close to my scratch marks that were now starting to sizzle.

"How?" I question furrowing my brows and he chuckles lightly as his hand cups my cheek.

"Just say yes my beautiful elf boy.." He smiles at me lovingly and I frowned at his words, he never used to call me that but I didn't pay attention to it as I wipe my tears and nod my head.

"Fine. As long as I can be with you. Yes." I say in defeat and his smile widens.

The wind suddenly picks up, turning cold and dark and I look up at Raen and...

No. It wasn't Raen.

In that moment I realised that it wasn't ravens spirit trying to reach out to me this whole time as I had thought it was. This was something else.

Malakei was right.

Those were my last thoughts as I looked at the yellow eyed monster in front of me before my world turns dark.

Malakei's PoV

"When was the last time you saw him?"

Bow questions as he runs a worried hand through his hair, Anya watching from the doorway with Christa in her arms as I sat at the table with my hands in my face. Knowing that this was all my fault. Everything was my fault. Keylin wouldn't be missing right now if it wasn't for me.

"This morning when he found out." I sniffle and look up at Bow. "He saw the necklace."

Bow's eyes widen when I say this before he sighs and looks out the window into the dark night.

"I'm sorry." Anya says from the doorway making both of us look over. A look of guilt and sadness washing over her face as she looks at me.

"He gave me the impression that he knew. I should've never said anything. Forgive me Malakei."

"It's ok. This is not your fault." I say tugging my lips up at her before looking down at my hands on the table.

"All I care about right now is finding him. I have a bad feeling.." I trail off and Bow comes closer to me.

"What is it?" He questions sitting down quickly in the seat closest to me and I look up at him.

"I think he's in danger."

Bow wastes no time in getting up from the chair, grabbing his coat and putting it on quickly making me stand up abruptly.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to get the Dry Landers to send out a search party. If he's in danger then we shouldn't waste anymore time and-"

Tara suddenly bursts through the door, panting and looking worriedly as she looks at each of us searching.

"Where's Keylin?"

"Missing." Anya says as she comes closer to us with a sleeping Christa in her arms. She furrows her brows at a pale Tara.

"Why? What's-"

"It's Baja." She says quickly and before we can question her she lifts up her black jumper to reveal a large bleeding claw mark running along her forearm.

"Baja did that to you?" Bow worries as he comes closer on inspection and she nods glancing at me.

"Whatever is affecting Baja is affecting Keylin. Baja wouldn't just turn on someone, especially not me. She has been keeping me company for the past few days. She was fine this morning but suddenly it's as if something switched in her mind and she began to cry." Tara explains before frowning at Anya.

"You said he was missing? Then what are you all doing sitting on your asses? Let's go and find him!" She exclaims as she moves to the doorway.

I look at Bow who gives me a look before following Tara. I turn to Anya who looked fearful.

"Go, I'll wait here in case he shows up." She says and I sigh in relief before placing a hand on her shoulder, sending her a close mouthed smile as I quickly turn to the door. Putting on my jacket as I hurried out into the night, noticing how it was starting to rain.

Keylin...please be ok.

After, Bow had rallied his father's soldiers. Informing them how Keylin was missing and they needed to find him. The rain beat down on them as they searched through tents, houses and some going to the forest. Bow and I made our way to the forest as Tara stayed at the camp.

After Baja became wild she managed to lure her to the shed behind her home and lock her inside. Fearful that the panther would harm other Dry Landers if she let her wonder free.

"Where do you think he would've went?" Bow questions me as we grab swords from the sword smith, knowing the creatures that lurked within the forest at night.

"I thought he would've went to you at first but I knew by him, he didn't want that. He looked like he wanted to be away from here, away from me." I mutter quietly as Bow looks at me before stopping and placing a hand on my shoulder making me stop and turn to him.

"It's too soon for him Mal. Especially when he saw the necklace...he doesn't know unless you both sit down and talk. He needs to know the truth."

"He won't listen to me..he..he..." My words trail off as I look ahead, stopping in my tracks as a blonde haired figure, soaking wet stands in front of the fire pit looking into the pit void of fire as the rain beat down on him.

"There he is.." I whisper trailing off and Bow turns his head quickly to match my gaze, immediately going to walk forward but as I watch Keylin with a frown stoop down to the fire. I could see his lips moving...he was talking to the fire?

Something didn't sit right with me.

I bring my hand out and stop Bow from walking forward and he turns to me confused.

"What-"

"Somethings wrong." I gulp as I watch as Keylin's hand moves out to touch the pit as the rain beat down, hair in his eyes.

"He's right there Mal, he's safe. Why-"

A dirt coated hand suddenly shoots up from the fire pit.

"What the.." I whisper wide eyed, heart beating fast as I watch Keylin move his hand to touch the hand protruding from the ground. They touch and thunder erupts from above them followed by lightning.

"What the fuck is going on?!" Bow screams through the lightning as I watch Keylin pull the hand from the earth, pulling the body from the ground.

I had no words as I watched the body coming up from the dirt, insects and muck coating him but his black eyes were visible through the lightning. It was enough to send me into action.

"He's rising the dead. We need to stop him." I say seriously as I shout in Bulgarian to some on looking Dry Landers who watched wide eyed. Taking my weapon in my hand as I tell them to get ready to fight.

"Shit that thing isn't of the dead...that thing is a monster." Bow remarks as he looks at the man shaking the dirt and insects from him before turning to look down at Keylin.

He suddenly turns towards the Dry Landers who slowly started to approach the scene cautiously before running at them and picking them off like flies.

Bow screams for the rest of the soldiers to attack the man, caught up as the plan was now changed to attack. My attention turned back to Keylin but with blinking concern, he was gone.

Anya's PoV

I held Christa close to me as I looked out at the lightning and storm brewing only moments ago before closing the blinds and turning around.

I jumped as I saw a soaking wet figure standing by the doorframe. Letting out a sigh of relief as I noticed it was Keylin and immediately begin to walk towards him.

"Keylin! Keylin I'm so glad you're ok. We've been worried sick." I say as I bring a hand up to hug his shoulder. He doesn't react but I knew he must be feeling horrible right now so I didn't think too much on it.

"Come on." I say as I assure him into the kitchen. "You look freezing! Come inside out of the cold and I'll make-"

"Where's the panther?"

Keylin questions and I stop, the smile slipping from my eyes as I gulp. Hearing the off tone of Keylin and I turn around slowly, clutching Christa closer to me in fear as I look closely at Keylin. I gasp.

"Y-You're not-" I speak and he tilts his head, eyes turning pure black and I scream causing Christa to begin to wail as the demon laughs.

"Where is the panther? Tell me and I'll spare the child."

"Please!" I wail clutching Christa close to me as I walk backwards away from the monster, hitting the counter top and I sink down to the floor as the monster watches me. Coming closer.

"Where is the panther?!" He screams making the window shatter causing howling wind to blow in and I clutch Christa tighter to me.

"T-Tara...Tara had her last. I don't know! Please.." I sob as he walks closer, glass crunching under his feet.

I shield my body over Christa, looking down at her with tears in my eyes as I hear him take a knife from the kitchen drawer above me. I close my eyes and shake in fear.

A purple light suddenly shields me and Christa and I look up wide eyed to see Keylin looking down in confusion and anger as he tries to stab the shield protecting us.

I see a figure in the doorway and I sob in relief and happiness as Vixen appears, frowning at Keylin when he turns around.

The lights suddenly go off before coming back on and Keylin is gone. No longer standing above me. Vixen sighs before the protective shield around me and Christa disappears and I move to stand up.

"Vixen. Thank the Gods you're here..Keylin-"

"I'm late." She whispers to herself in worry before looking up at me seriously.

"You need to take your baby and lock yourself upstairs. You'll be safe there." She says before moving to leave and my eyes widen.

"Wait! What's happening? What happened to Key-"

"He's been possessed by a demon from the forest." She says looking back at me.

"They're clinging to his bond with Luke..the part of him that's dead. They're starting to rise from the ground. I need to cut it before it's too late."

My eyes bulge at that as I gulp and take in a shaky breath.

"What about Keylin?" I question and she groans.

"I don't know I need to go!" She says hurriedly and before I have a chance to say anything else, she leaves and I waste no time in shutting the door and bolting upstairs with Christa, locking us both into the bathroom. For how long, I didn't know.

Third person PoV

Keylin's demon wrecked Tara's house in search of Baja. Screaming in frustration when he comes up short but when he hears the wail of the panther from the garden shed, he smirks and leaves the house making his way to the wooden shed.

Tara gulps as she watched from behind a nearby tree at Keylin, a shovel in her hand as she clutched it tightly before moving out behind it and screaming as she swings it at Keylin. Managing to hit his stomach and Keylin groans leaning forward.

Tara felt bad and was starting to doubt herself and Keylin but when the black eyes pierced into her soul with such anger and hatred. She knew this was the right choice.

"Bitch." The demon sneers and Tara hits his back with the shovel causing Keylin to groan and fall to the ground.

She hits him again as Malakei runs into the garden, eyes wide as he looks at Tara hurting Keylin. His heart constricts at the sight.

"Stop it!" He screams at Tara who looks up panting through the rain at Malakei.

"Stop hurting him!"

"It's not him!"

"It's still Keylin." Malakei says sternly as he came closer. Before he had the chance to say something else, Keylin's hand reached out and grabbed a hold of Tara's ankle pulling her down to the ground as she yelps.

The black eyes look at her with a smirk as it takes a hold of her shovel, snapping it in half and using the broken half as a wooden stake. He crawls up her body with the stake held high. Tara screams as Malakei scrambles forward. Jumping on Keylin's back and grabbing the stake.

They fight on the floor, wrestling with the stake as Keylin growls climbing on top of Malakei.

"Keylin! Snap out of it! I know you're still in there." Malakei yells desperately up at the demon.

Forcefully, Keylin yanks the stake from him and Malakei's eyes widen as he holds the stake over him, about to strike.

Tara suddenly hits him over the head with the top of the shovel causing Keylin to flop to the side momentarily unconscious. They both look at each other wide eyed and panting. About to speak when Vixen comes running into the garden. Skidding to a stop when she sees the scene before her unravel and she sighs.

"I made it." She says to herself in relief causing Malakei and Tara to turn to her with wide eyes. She begins to walk forward.

"V-Vixen?" Malakei questions in surprise and relief, glad that she was here as he got to his knees, carefully moving Keylin's body so that he was facing upwards. His head lulling to the side along with a trickle of blood falling down the side of his head.

"We don't have much time before he wakes up." Vixen says sternly as she brings her hand up to the sky creating a large purple shield around the garden, stopping the rain falling on top of them as well as keeping intruders out.

"What happened to him?" Tara questions as she clutched the shovel head tightly, looking up at Vixen with misty eyes.

"He's possessed." She states kneeling down beside Keylin across from Malakei.

"He's been seeing spirits in his dreams since he got back to the Dry Lands. They started to torture him at night and sometimes during the day. Talking to him and leading him to believe that the spirits were Raen.." She says sadly turning to look at Tara who's eyes harden and she grits her teeth.

All the while Malakei's heart sunk, eyes growing sad at the thought of doubting Keylin. Blaming it on hallucinations and dreams. It was real and Malakei would punish himself forever for not believing him.

"They succeeded." She says looking at Malakei Who pales as he looks at her.

"That's why you're here right? You're here to save him. Like you always do."

"I.." She bites her lip and looks away. Ignoring the pang in her chest. Tara's eyes grow hard as she lets her shovel head drop to the ground in realisation.

"You're here to kill him."

The statement hangs in the air and Malakei immediately pulls Keylin's unconscious body closer to him as he narrows his eyes at Vixen. Tara coming around to stand behind Malakei as she too glares at Vixen.

"I am not here to kill him." She says with sincere eyes. "I am here to extract the demon clinging to his bond with Luke. He's living on it. If I don't stop him he will end Gonora-"

"Keylin is not going to die." Malakei says seriously as he stares at Vixen. "He deserves to live more than anything and you're going to make sure he fucking lives, understand? It's the least you can do." Malakei seethes as he looks at the witch who closes her eyes and takes a breath.

"Say it Vixen." Malakei grits out wide eyed as Keylin begins to stir in his arms coming to.

"He's going to live." She says as Keylin opens his eyes and they immediately turn black.

"Hold him down." Vixen says as she grabs his legs planting them to the ground, Malakei doing the same as he clings to his back while Tara scrambles to hold his arms.

"Let me go!" Keylin screams only it was inhumanly deeper, definitely not Keylin's voice.

Vixen begins to chant a spell making Keylin become more restless in their holds and Baja growls loudly from behind the wooden shed door scratching at it.

Another moment goes by and Keylin becomes a bit weaker. The spell was working but the shed door immediately bursts open and Baja moves like the black of night coming forward as she pounces on Vixen.

Vixen holds up her hands in the last moment and forms a cage around the panther who wails as Keylin screams loudly before laughing hysterically.

"You're too late." Keylin chuckles and Vixen narrows her eyes at him as a black vein protrudes from Keylin's mark on his neck. Festering like a web as it crawls and stretches over Keylin's neck. Vixen gulped but continued her work.

Keylin began to get restless and pulled an arm from Tara's grip, punching her in the face sending her sprawling to the side before reaching back and clawing at Malakei's face who groans and shuts his eyes.

Vixen began to panic as she watched the scene, her attempts were useless to contain the demon and she worried if Keylin was capable of saving anymore. She knew what she had to do and that was to dabble into illegal territory. She refused all her life to become like her sister but it was time to do just that.

As she turned to Baja who roared at her with black eyes she bit her lip turning back to Keylin and began to tear the bond.

Vixen expected the screams and wails. At one point it was Keylin's voice that begged her to stop but she couldn't take the chance of thinking Luke's bond was ripped apart.

She watched as the bite mark burned on Keylin's neck, the black veins crawling back into the teeth inflictions before the scar began to heel completely. Keylins paw mark on his lower abdomen started to burn also and illuminate.

"B-Baja..!" Keylin calls weakly as tears slip down his face and Baja whimpers, lying down in the cage.

"S-Stop...you're..kill..." Keylin looks at Vixen tiredly as he pants, hair matted with sweat as Malakei clutched him close, crying silently looking up at her.

"Stop Vixen, he's ok!" Malakei yells at her and she shakes her head watching the scar as it refused to leave Keylin.

Suddenly, a bright light formed making Vixen stop and shield her eyes as she winced, Malakei clutched Keylin close as he ducked his face into his neck trying to shield Keylin from the light and Tara put her hands in her face as she whimpered in fright of what was happening around them.

It was silent. The protective barrier having been struck by lightning causing the shield to be charged before cracking and falling around them like purple snow.

When the light faded, Vixen turned back as did Tara. Malakei blinked in confusion. Quickly taking notice of Keylin who whimpered in his arms and Vixen's heart broke at the sight of what was becoming of Keylin.

The black veins began to crawl out from the scar again like an infection only this time Keylin struggled to breath, eyes bulging as he battled with the dark to keep his sanity. His green eyes were losing their light they once held.

"No no Key.." Malakei says looking down at him but Keylin was too far gone..his vision was starting to become black again.

"I did the best that I could." Vixen says teary eyed as she looks at Malakei.

"I'm sorry." She says sincerely and Malakei's face crumbles at that as he shakes his head, looking down at Keylin and what was becoming of him. He was turning into a monster.

"Look at me Keylin." Malakei says and there was a slight flicker in Keylin's eye as he stares emotionlessly up at Malakei, croaking for air.

Malakei smiles a teary smile down at the dark eyes beginning to swallow Keylin but he could still see the green in his eyes. He was still with them.

"You don't have to fight anymore kid." Malakei whispers down to Keylin as tears stream down his face, he pushes back Keylin's matted and dirty hair between his fingers and took a shaky breath.

"Rest Key. Everything will be ok."

Tara who had been looking at the scene with tears in her eyes the whole time, turned her head to the side when movement caught her eye and when she saw the figure, her eyes watered as she brought a shaky hand up to cover her mouth in shock. Unable to take her eyes from them.

She watched as the figure came closer and managed to take her hand from her mouth whimpering as she let out a breath.

"Guys.." She informs them and Malakei and Vixen stop mid sentence to look at her. When their eyes caught onto the approaching glowing figure they gasped.

"Raen." Malakei breaths out as tears come to his eyes at the angelic features of Raen who had his eyes trained on Keylin, brows knitted in slight worry as he knelt down beside a semi conscious Keylin.

Malakei watched Raen as he brought a hand out slowly to touch Keylin's head but hesitated and moves to touch the scar on his neck that was causing the boy breathing difficulty.

Malakei's breath hitches as he clutched Keylin's body close to him and Raen meets his teary eyes calmly.

"Please.." Malakei pleads. "Don't take him yet. I'm begging you." Malakei says as a tear slips down his cheek.

Raen looks at him for a moment before nodding slowly in understanding and turning his head back to Keylin when he whimpers painfully.

Vixen watched as Raen's hand touched Keylin's scar making Keylin immediately take in a gulp of air, his chest moving up and down quickly as he took in sharp breaths of relief before blinking fully awake after a few moments, turning his head as he blinks up at Malakei in exhaustion. No trace of the scar on his neck.

"M-Mal?" Keylin questions as his eyes lock on the crying blood covered boy. Emotions swimming in his eyes along with the memories of earlier coming to light in his mind.

Before he can say that however, Malakei speaks.

"Key.." He sniffles. "Key turn around."

He says down to him and Keylin was confused as he turned himself around on the floor with a wince, looking up.

When he looked up into the eyes of a peaceful Raen smiling down at him, his eyes filled quickly with tears as he began to take sharp breaths.

"Am...am I...are we dead?" He question causing Vixen to chuckle shaking her head.

"We're alive thanks to him." She says referring to Raen who smiles and Keylin hisses as he gets up into a sitting position, turning his head towards Raen.

"It's...it's really you this time?" Keylin questions with a trembling lip and Raen nods with a sad smile. Wanting to reach out to him but hesitating and retreating his hand back.

"Raen." Keylin whimpers as he brings his arms up to hug Raen but Malakei who was watching saw Raen shaking his head and grabbed Keylin's arms before he could touch Raen making Keylin fall back into him as he frowned.

"You can't touch him Key. He doesn't want you to touch him." Malakei states slowly as he looks at Raen who nods at Malakei with an understanding smile and Keylin looks between them at that.

"W-Why not?"

"He's an Angel." Vixen informs quietly and Raen hangs his head slightly before looking back up at Keylin. Wanting nothing more than to wipe away his tears.

"I'm so sorry Raen." Keylin whispers through a choked voice and Raen shakes his head but Keylin persists.

"I-I did this to you. If I was stronger I-"

Raen goes to speak but nothing comes out and he looks distraught at this.

"He wants you to know it's not your fault Key. He doesn't blame you for his death." Malakei says from behind Keylin as he pieces together what Raen wanted to say. What he would say. When Raen smiles a sad smile at him, he knew he said it right.

Keylin bites his lip at that before looking back up at Raen. Catching the small smile form on Raen's lips as he catches Keylin's eye before bringing his fingers up to his lip edges and tugging upwards.

'Smile for me'

Keylin's lips tug upwards at that in a watery smile, eyes growing lighter as he showed his dimples to Raen who in turn looked more at peace.

He then points to his heart as he watches Keylin, circling his heart. Like the first time he told Keylin he loved him.

Keylin fought back the tears as he smiled.

"I love you too Raen. Always."

"Hey.." Vixen says squinting her eyes before recognising the boy coming closer with a light smile on his face, she smiles at him.

"Looks like we're in the middle of a reunion."

She says causing Malakei, Tara and Keylin to turn to her in confusion. Keylin looks in her direction and gasps before his eyes begin to water again.

"Corrin.." He whispers as the elf walked towards him with a smile, worry laced behind his eyes as he knelt down beside Raen.

"Corrin..I-"

Corrin holds up his hand with a roll of his eyes, a knowing look in his eyes as he stops Keylin from apologising for his death. He knew Keylin too well. His blood wasn't on his hands.

Keylin grows silent as he watches Corrin smile warmly at him before tapping the side of his head to Keylin. Keylin immediately brings his hand up to the side of his head, wincing when he touches dried blood, taking his hand away to inspect his fingers before smiling a lob sided smile up at a worried Corrin.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of it." Keylin says huskily and Corrin frowns, not completely satisfied but he turns to Malakei and nods at him. A silent conversation going between them before Malakei is nodding at Corrin with an assuring smile before tightening his grip around Keylin protectively.

Keylin's stomach fluttered at this but he refused to think on it. He refused to think about earlier with Malakei. He refused to feel the guilt threatening to wash over him for hurting Malakei.

"How is this happening?" Tara questions in confusion under her breath as she turns to Vixen who looks as stunned as her.

"Must have been the lightning." She shrugs and hid a smile.

Raen suddenly waves a hand in front of Keylin in slight concern before smiling at Keylin and training his gaze to the left by the trees.

Corrin turned his attention to a wounded Baja who sniffed him cautiously before chuffing.

Keylin turned his gaze blinking tiredly at the bright light coming from the trees. Once the light dimmed and a figure could be made, Keylin's lip began to tremble.

"Mater?" His voice cracks as his eyes gaze upon the approaching woman. She was young and exactly like the photos and paintings young Keylin had been shown of his mother. Her blonde almost white hair falling down her back as she wore a white flowing dress.

"How interesting.." Vixen whispers in awe as she looks at the elven princess who would've been the current queen of the High Peaks. Her heart sped up at the look Fhara had on her face as she looked at her son who she hesitantly approaches. Afraid of judgement from him, afraid of rejection. Little did she know that this was all Keylin ever wanted ever since he was a boy. All he wanted was to see and be with his mother.

Keylin winced as he got to his feet, ignoring the pain in his head as he slowly walked the rest of the distance to his mother. Fhara stopped her movement and watched her son as he came forward, taking in every detail from his ears to his tanned skin. From the blood coating him to the pain in his bright green emotional eyes.

Fhara smiled at the familiar green eyes staring at her. It was as if it were only yesterday that she had held Keylin in her arms. The same bright green eyes looking up at her.

Keylin moves closer before he was standing in front of her, looking down and processing the moment of being in the presence of his mother. He watched her reaction to him. Always hoping that she would be proud of him looking down but now that she was here in front of him, he felt fear and could feel himself becoming rigid at the thought of rejection from his mother.

As Fhara looked up at her son, she noticed how strong he was. How he resembled his father in many ways but she could see herself in him more than anything.

Her eyes grew misty as she smiled up at him and Keylin's heart grew warm at the sight.

He forgot that she was still a princess. That he had no right to stand in front of her like this without showing gratitude for being in her presence.

He quickly bent down on one knee in front of her and hung his head. Remembering the way to greet nobles. He was also fearful of making a good impression on his mother. He wanted her to see he was respectful after all of these years. That....and he didn't know what to do.

"Princess Fhara..." He gulps looking at the grass. "It is an honour to be in your presence."

Keylin noticed Fhara sink down to the ground and he blinked up at her in confusion.

Fhara smiled a breath taking smile at her son before shaking her head at him lightly.

'Don't do that.'

She brought her hand out towards Keylin and hovered over his skin where she cupped his cheek and Keylin let's a breath at this as he stared at his mother.

"Mother..." Keylin whispers quietly and Fhara's ears twitch at the sound of her son's voice.

"I...I can't believe it's you. I-I...I'm sorry, for how everything turned out. I-"

She shakes her head at him with a smile and a tear slips from her eyes.

'I'm not sorry.'

She mouths an elven word to Keylin and when Keylin understands the word he blushes and ears twitch as he looks down. A word that he was never called throughout his childhood in the High Peaks, a word that was never used to describe him in elvish.

'Pulchra.'

'Beautiful.'

Fhara noticed the necklace around her son and her expression was loving and peaceful as she brought her fingers down to hover over the necklace.

"Father gave it to me." Keylin says looking at her softly and at the mention of Maekin, Fhara's eyes grow watery as she smiles sadly looking up at her son. A look of relief and happiness coming over her at the revelance of her son being with his father. She always wanted them to meet, sometimes she wondered if she had been alive would Keylin have been able to meet his father?

Throughout everything that has happened, under the circumstances. She wouldn't change what had happened. She's glad she got to see her son now. He was like what she always wished for him to be. Strong and a fighter like his father but also with sharp and noticeable features, a heart of gold like his mother. That was all she wished for from her son and Keylin was not a disappointment. She couldn't be more proud of him.

"I found them!" Bow calls behind them as he moves forward but when he notices the three glowing figures around them his heart begins to race. When he spots his brother with a blonde woman, he knew that something big was happening that he was intruding on.

Maekin runs in from behind the house, calling for his son but he stops when he catches the eye of the elven princess. Stopping him in his tracks.

"Fhara.." Maekin says softly as tears begin to build in his eyes and he drops his bloody sword as he runs to her and his son. Heart beating loudly.

"We have been blessed by the presence of angels Maekin." Vixen says to Maekin with a smile who blinks in confusion before worry washes over him and he notices Raen and Corrin. He glances at Fhara and Keylin before walking the rest of the way to them. Heart beating with worry as she notices Fhara touching her son but also, a bittersweet feeling. He knew that something was wrong for Keylin to be seeing his mother, especially on such circumstances that the world was ending.

"Bow stay over there." Maekin says as he notices his son move closer in curiosity as he sees Raen and Corrin smiling at him but frowns at his father's worry and stays put. His hand on his sword as he watches on with an emotionless face.

"Keylin." Maekin says gently as he slowly moves forward, his eyes flying between his lover and his child. Keylin turned around with glassy eyes and smiled.

"Keylin..be careful." He says getting down to his knees beside him and reaching out for his son.

"It's her." Keylin says to Maekin before wiping his eyes. Fhara smiled at him softly at this before turning to look at her husband only to frown as his eyes are cast down in guilt and shame. Afraid to look at her.

"She shouldn't be here son. She's here for a reason and I..." He bites his lip as he places a hand on Keylin's shoulder.

Keylin immediately hugs his father who clutches him as he struggles to contain the tears in his eyes.

"Don't be afraid father." Keylin says into his shoulder before pulling back. "Raen saved me. They all did."

Fhara watches with a warm smile as her son and lover embrace. She feared how Maekin would be as a father. She wasn't fooled for she knew the custom of the Dry Landers. They were tough with their children. Their views of making them into the perfect soldiers, sons. She feared their bond wouldn't be strong and Keylin would fear his father for the wrong reasons. She was wrong about Maekin and she was wrong about Keylin.

Fatherhood changed Maekin. She knew by looking at him that when Keylin came into his life something in him stopped and he changed everything for him. He did a good job.

Maekin looked up at Fhara with sad eyes but she only smiled down at them, a glowing tear rolling down her cheeks.

"You would be so proud of him." Maekin whispered. "He is everything you would have wanted him to be." The words get caught in his throat as he looked at Fhara with a smile and Keylin pulled back to look at both of them. Noticing them gravitate towards each other.

In that moment, Keylin knew exactly how something so innocent and pure such as love between his father and mother was real. It was strong. Even after all of these years, his father still loved his mother and will always love her. This love split families. It caused the death of so many people, so much heart break and so much pain. This love...was the love worth fighting for.

Keylin turned back to look at Raen only to see him smiling at Malakei who spoke worriedly to him. The more Keylin looked at the two, the more he started to think about earlier. How Raen gave Malakei his necklace. Why?

Raen shook his head at Malakei and sighed before bringing up a hand to hover over his shoulder in what looked to be assurance.

When Raen lifted his head to look at Keylin, it clicked.

'Raen knew. He must have known something was going to happen to him. That's why he gave the necklace to Malakei..?..did he know Malakei loved me? This whole time and..'

Keylin's thoughts ran wild as the world began to slow around him. He wasn't angry. He was a little hurt but more importantly...he was confused. For the first time, he was listening to what he was feeling. The warm feelings that he didn't care to notice around Malakei. The looks..when they rolled off the bed, when he was dancing with Malakei to make Raen jealous. In the dungeons, when he came running for him with concern when he saved Lany from the burning building. When he saved his life multiple times from drowning. When Keylin took off his blindfold expecting to see Raen but found Malakei instead. The same Malakei who saved him when he was drunk and almost raped...the same Malakei who risked his life and reputation to travel Gonora with him to find Vixen..who stood up for him all these years...who took the time and trained him how to fight because he was afraid of him getting hurt. Who ran with him in his arms through the forest when Keylin was becoming a Trainer. The Malakei that found him shivering in the rain clinging to Corrin's body and brought him home safe. The person who stayed up all night in fear of him sleep walking into danger one night. The same Malakei who called him an asshole the first time he met him. The same Malakei who loved him after all of these years.

Keylin didn't know how to feel anymore about his best friend but he knew he wasn't angry with him. How could he be? It was Malakei. The same twit that did everything to protect him and make him laugh when Keylin was sad or had something on his mind.

Unknown to Keylin, he found himself frowning thoughtfully at Malakei, not noticing Raen looking at him and Raen smiled turning to Malakei who glanced at Keylin but when he noticed Keylin looking at him, he stared back with a frown.

Raen watched Malakei looking at Keylin longingly before he too looked at Keylin.

When he saw the look in Keylin's eyes, he knew he would be ok without him. He could see the small flame for Malakei burning in his eyes. Raen knew that it would only get bigger if he saw Malakei with someone else. It was only a matter of time before they got close and they were already so close as it was.

Raen rolled his eyes at them. One was blind and afraid to love again while the other was so sick with love that he was afraid to jeopardise everything for the sake of it.

He got up then with a relieved sigh and turned around, knowing there was one more person left that he had to see before it was time to go.

Tara stared at him silently, tears of hurt and betrayal in her eyes as Raen moves down to sit in front of her.

"You promised me." She whispered as she narrows her eyes at him, fighting to look strong and show anger but failed as the tears fall from her eyes and face crumbled.

"You promised you wouldn't leave me."

'I'm sorry.' Raen mouthed as he conveys his pained features. This was hard for him. He knew it would be hard for Tara but it was the only way for everyone to be ok. For the world to be ok. He knew that it would be hard but Tara would eventually get over his death and move on. Like everyone else but she will always remember him.

Tara stares at him for a long time after that, lip trembling as she brings her hands around her middle and brings her knees up.

"I don't know if you were brave or stupid to do what you did and I don't understand why. You shouldn't have died. You should be here." Tara grumbles as he moves forward to heal her claw wound on her arm and she sighs when he touches her arm in relief, no more bleeding or pain. She looks up at Raen.

"I don't know if I can forgive you yet." She says quietly to Raen who nods his head in understanding.

"Even if I never do.." She points out before sniffling and offering him a small smile. "Your my brother and i'll always love you."

That was all Raen needed to hear. Just hearing Tara's words made Raen feel relief for his sister. He knew that she would forgive him, she was already in the stages. He only wanted her to live her life to its fullest and be happy. Find someone that made her forget about her troubles and have children of her own. He could wait to see her again. He knew that it would be a long time before he would and that assured him that she would be ok. They all would.

Raen looked around at everyone with a smile, Keylin laughing as Corrin made a joking face at him before he too started to laugh. Fhara and Maekin who had been lost in their own little world before turning to watch their son with a warm smile on their faces.

Bow had moved closer and had joined in on Malakei and Baja play fighting. Malakei filling Bow in on what had happened.

Raen eventually turned to Vixen who had been looking at him with a sad smile.

"I'm sorry I never told you how it would go. I tried to but...I could never find the right words. I still can't." She says as Raen sits down beside her watching the scene take place. It was like everyone was in their own bubble. A calmness washing over them. Peace.

"You seemed to figure it all out on your own." She smiles at him and he turns to her with a sad tug of the lips as he looked out at Keylin.

"I'll make sure he doesn't make anymore stupid decisions from now on although I think someone else will happily take my job." She notes with a roll of the eyes as she looks out at Bow and Malakei, watching Malakei chuckle as he glances at Keylin every so often only to smile wider.

"He will heal him, trust me. They'll be alright."

Raen sighs peacefully at that and gets up, moving to the trees slowly before stopping and looking back. Corrin notices Raen and immediately gets up, pretending to kiss Keylin on the cheek as Keylin giggles and says goodbye to his friend, the smile slipping from his face as he watches him leave along with his eyes setting on Raen. He immediately gets up.

Fhara also gets up and with a blow of a kiss to Maekin, begins to walk in the direction of Raen and Corrin by the trees. She turns to Keylin and comes up from behind him, moving to stand in front of him as he looks down sadly.

"Please don't leave yet..I've only just met you." Keylin whispers to her as she smiles a small knowing smile at him before turning to his necklace and bringing her delicate fingers up to touch it. The necklace begins to glow and Fhara smiled at that bringing her hand up like she had done before to hover over Keylin's cheek only this time, Keylin was shocked to feel warmth coming from her palm as his eyes widened down at her. She smiled tearfully up at him.

"Te amo Keylin." She whispers and Keylin's eyes begin to mist at her words. He heard her. She spoke to him. Her voice...it sounded just like an angel's.

He was so shocked that he didn't feel her hand leave his cheek when he's stuttering out.

"T-Te amo mater. Always." He promises making Fhara smile a dimpled smile at him as she moves back, blowing a kiss to her son as her dress sways with the wind. She moves to the trees and falls in line with the others.

Corrin is the first to disappear behind the trees, followed by Keylin's mother but before Raen can walk forward Keylin is calling for him.

"Raen!" Keylin calls out causing Raen to turn to him curiously and Keylin smiles a knowing smile at him.

"Thanks for saving my life again." He states with a mischievous smile and Raen hesitates for a moment before walking back in Keylin's direction, coming to stand directly in front of Keylin as he moves his lips down to hover over Keylin's. On instinct, Keylin's eyes close and Raen watches him for a second before smirking and letting out a peaceful breath that fanned over Keylin's face.

When Keylin opened his eyes, Raen was gone.

**

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

222K 12.7K 31
(COMPLETED Sequel to 'The Dry Lands' Book 2 of The Sector Series)
92.8K 4.9K 31
When an asteroid nearly misses Earth, a stange pod lands amongst the debris. It ends up in the new city museum as an attraction. This thing throws th...
71.2K 2K 37
Season 2 of In Another Era Bound by a forbidden love, Prince Kenric and Archie have to navigate a world of secrecy and magic. The stakes are rising a...
725K 41.8K 128
[mlm] The lonely Elf had waited many years to meet his bonded mate, but reality was harsher than he would have liked when he finds out his mate is no...