Crashed Into a Gangster

By exceptionallyapoet

#1 in ROMANCE Started Jan. 2019 Completed April 2019 Rio fanfic [au] When a registered nurse of Detroit cras... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
SEQUEL!
THANK YOU!!

17

74.1K 2K 431
By exceptionallyapoet

Victoria

"His name is Rio." I begin the moment my sister picks up on the other line. I hold my cell up to my ear, focused on the road ahead of me as I drive to work.
"What? Who?" Ann asks, confusion lacing in her tone as I hear rummaging in the background over the line.
I sigh quietly, quickly glancing in the rear view mirror to switch lanes before I continue. "The gangster, Ann. His name is Rio." I bite my lip, and shrug although she can't see me. "I just wanted to tell you. I know I haven't had the chance to. And now that he's gone I just-"

"Wait, what do you mean 'gone'?" I hear my sister gasp over the phone. "Is he...dead?" I immediately roll my eyes, "No, Ann. I mean..." I stop myself from telling her about the negotiation. I can't tell her I gave Rio Jack's name, let alone the possibility of something bad happening to Jack because I gave Rio his name. So I lie. "...I mean when I last saw him...he said that would be his last time seeing me. I guess his boys won't need the help, anymore." Guilt boils inside me for my twisting of words, but my sister can't know too much...not with Rio being so dangerous - yet so...so....

"That's a good thing, right?" Ann pulls me from my inner thoughts. "You don't have to put up with him. Now you're...safer." She finishes. I breathe, "Right. Safer." I arrive at the Hospital parking lot and pull in, putting my car in park once I settle in my usual parking spot. "Look, I'm at the Hospital now, I'll try to call you later, Ann. Love ya."
I had to tell her something about Rio. So I gave her his name - in case I ever slip out his name or anything if I ever talk about him - she had to know eventually.
I run a hand through my hair, tired from the lack of sleep last night, and hang up after she responds, "Love you too."

Moments later I rush in my job with my purse, heading toward the locker room to put up my belongings and begin the shift. I'm tired, really tired. But I keep up my pace and begin the shift by helping a young girl who was rushed into the ER just moments after I exited the locker room.

-

Hours in, and my boss orders me to collect a blood tube for the fourth patient we're taking care of. I rush into the usually busy hall, and head in the direction of the spot I pulled Rio off to the side, to talk to him about not making his gangster appearance so noticeable here. I remember his rebellious, confident words. And I let them replay clearly in my mind. Let them see me, darling, he said.

I remember the worry that probably hid behind my eyes - and when he disappeared behind the glass doors at the end of the hall; I almost thought I wanted him to turn back around. But he didn't.

I suck in a low breath, and decide to avert my gaze from the spot in the hall and walk past it, carrying on with my job and heading towards the lab.

After I retrieve the blood tube, I pass the hurried nurses and doctors again, and head back to the patient's room. On the way, I pass the entrance glass doors - medics rushing in a stretcher as the workers make way. It takes me back to when Eddie, a gang member that neither Rio or I ever brought up, was rushed into the ER, but unfortunately didn't make it from the fatal bullet wound. Rio's people really need to stay away from guns.

"We've got a victim who was assaulted," One of the medics call out, pushing the stretcher toward a doctor who takes over. "Punctured eye socket and damage in the lumbar region." I overhear the medic inform the doctor, afterward the medic who I know meets my eyes, and he gives me a wary look. I begin to slow down in my tracks, the blood tube in my gloved hands. Then, the doctor who pushes the stretcher toward the ER glances behind his shoulder - his gaze lands on mine.

I watch the two exchange shared, knowing glances a moment. There's a reason the two of them looked at me. Suddenly everything seems to sink within me, and I still carry the tube as I rush toward them. I run up to the stretcher - the victim not recognizable until I'm close enough.

My heart drops, my brown eyes widen...when I look into the swollen, bruised purple and blue, eyes of Jack's body on the stretcher.

---

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to make that star golden!!

Lots of love,

xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 2.6K 32
Andy Lorenzo has been undercover for almost a year. Now she is being transferred to Detroit, MI to take down one of the most dangerous criminals in t...
567K 17.4K 80
1 BONUS CHAPTER IS NOW UP! Sequel to Crashed Into a Gangster! With her inevitable feelings aroused, Victoria dwells into Rio's world, his aura, his...
3.8M 86.3K 34
"No one speaks to me the way you have been lately" He warned, his eyes trained on mine. "What are you going to do, kill me?" I answered back, my gaze...
4.3M 83.5K 45
"I'm not gonna have sex with you baby. Not yet. Just a little fun with the help of some old toys." He smirked and then it suddenly hit me. He stole t...