Scythe || Bellamy Blake

By doing_great

||COMPLETED|| She was not a hero. It wasn't because she lacked bravery or because she lacked humanity. It wa... More

The Color Gray
If Not a Survivor
Rhythm of the River
The Heartless
The Burden of Atlas
The Sound of Wind
A Child's Guilt
The Purpose of Forgetting
Tortured Souls
A Shredded Canvas
The Nameless
A Currency of Blood
Racing Cowards
Defining Freedom
Powerful Stories
A Meeting of Warriors
The Honor of Friendship
Consequences of Identity
A Second Trial
The Suffering of Villains
Dying Decisions
A Meeting of Ghosts
The Perfect Braid
A Tether to Sanity
Undeserved Forgiveness
Tangible Death
The Final Choice
Burning the World
Bridging Space and Ground
The Song of the Dark
Baiting a Monster
Living Ghost
Mercy Kill
A Poisoned Alliance
Promising Tomorrow
Across Worlds
Cages and Guards
To Justify a Death
Lies and Betrayal
Stronger than a Promise
False Hope
Chosing Sides
Saving Skye
The End

Crying Blood

11K 309 54
By doing_great

    Bellamy's arms were warm around her and she leaned her head against his chest. He rocked her back and forth saying nothing, the both of them just listening to the wind. He held her close, his hand buried in the hair on the back of her head.

    Scythe wasn't crying. She wasn't really doing much of anything.

    Abby was dead.

    They were leaving in a few minutes to see if they could salvage anything from the wreckage. Scythe just hoped they wouldn't find any bodies.

    "How are you feeling?" Bellamy whispered to her and his voice was almost enough to make her smile.

    She really liked Bellamy. He was always so kind to her and his patience with her while she figured out how to live her life without chains made losing Abby slightly easier. But it still stung.

    "I feel... sad."

    She felt him nod and she wrapped her arm around his waist, "I can't imagine what it must have been like for you to lose your mom."

    He stiffened but she could tell he wasn't surprised. Scythe would have never brought it up if she didn't know for sure that his mind was already on her. And she could tell he was thinking about her.

    He sighed and rested his chin on her head, "My mom raised me to be good. She wouldn't like the person I've become."

   It came out in a rush- like he had bottled up the words for far too long.

    Scythe froze.

    She pulled away and studied him with absolute horror. His warm brown eyes were cast downward and she forced him to look at her, "How can you say that?"

    His lips pressed together tightly and his voice was deep as he said, "I'm not a good person. The Grounders are going to come and I'm not going to be able to stop them."

    "How does that make you a bad person?"

    "I made a promise to my mom. I promised I would look after Octavia," he scoffed, "but she's off with that Grounder who's probably going to end up stabbing her in the back."

    Scythe knew very well that there was nothing she could say to make him feel lighter. So she said nothing, only pressed a gentle kiss to his cheek.

    Octavia had been imprisoned her entire life. You don't always meet the best people behind bars. Scythe trusted her judgement.

    But she knew Bellamy wouldn't.

    "You're a good person, but you can't control everything. Your mom would be proud that despite everything you still care. I'm proud of you."

   His eyes were unfocused, like he was in his own world. She squeezed his hand, standing up, "We should get going."

    Bellamy gripped her wrist, "Will you stay here and watch over the camp?"

    She cocked her head, "Why?"

    "Raven's going," he said, as if that made perfect sense. But then he added, "And we need someone to stay in case the Grounders decide they're going to attack after all."

    Scythe sighed inaudibly. Honestly, she really didn't feel like dealing with Raven right now, not when her heart felt so heavy, "Okay."

~*~*~

    Octavia and Scythe watched while Jasper gloated over his Grounder kill, "I saw the Grounders in the trees. It was like nothing I've ever felt before. Pure animal instinct took over. One pull of the trigger, two Grounders dead."

    "Along with any hope we had of peace," Scythe said sounding bored, looking expressionlessly down at her nails.

    Jasper turned his attention to her, his eyes filled with an arrogance that wasn't there a night ago, "I saved your life, Scythe. Without me you'd be dead."

    She had to remind them who she was. She wouldn't have them mocking her while she was their leader. Scythe was not like the other campers and they would do well to remember it.

A leader without respect was nothing more than a nuisance.

She tutted with a saccharine smile before her eyes went dark and her smile turned sinister, "I should have left you to the panther."

She didn't mean it of course and it nauseated her to say the words, but in this game of war- fear generated respect. At least that's how it always was done in the Skybox.

Hopefully she could keep them alive long enough for the respect to convert to trust.

    Something in the way her eyes lit up made it impossible for them to break their stare at her. It helped that it was dark outside and her face was illuminated partially by the wicked hues of the crackling fire.

    They stared off for a while before Jasper reluctantly backed away, "Whatever. You don't know anything about this."

    His arrogance was smothering her. He was gloating over death- as if it were nothing. As if it were in the same league as winning a race.

    She raised her eyebrows, "You don't really think you're the only one who's killed someone, did you?"

    Jasper whipped around as fast as lightning and she felt Octavia stiffen next to her.

    "Scythe, what are you talking about?" Octavia whispered in horror, brown eyes wide and mouth agape.

    The truth had to come out sooner or later. Telling them now meant she could control when. She cocked her head to the side, giving Octavia a mockingly innocent glance, "Tav, come on, is this such a surprise?"

    She needed to portray herself as a monster. Jasper had to see what became of murderers. They could think what they wanted about her so long as they stayed out of her way.

    Hurt flashed in her friend's eyes and she stuttered, "I-I thought... I-"

    Scythe rolled her eyes, smirking, "I mean really, what did you think I was locked up for?"

   Octavia had tears in her eyes, but she shook her head, "No. You're just upset because of Abby. I understand what it's like to lose people, Scythe."

    The sinister grin on Scythe's face was wiped off and she narrowed her eyes, "Don't play therapist. You have no idea who I am."

    Octavia bit her lip and tilted her chin up, "I do, actually. You're my friend. It might take some time for you to remember that, but you will."

    Scythe's heart was heavy, so heavy she just wanted to run to Octavia and apologize for being such a heartless coward. But that wasn't going to happen. Was she wrong for trying to emulate the monsters?

    She took a threatening step forwards, but stopped when someone started yelling at the camp border, "Somebody hit the trip wire!"

    Racing as fast as wind, Scythe sprinted over to the delinquents as they clattered about, fumbling with their guns. Everything was silent except for the delinquents and Scythe hushed them.

    They quieted immediately and tried to peer through the dark.

    A rustle.

    "There! There!" A camper roared, aiming his gun and firing.

    Octavia was still next to Scythe, breathing, "Lincoln."

    But it wasn't Lincoln. Scythe rushed forwards to grab whoever decided to trespass in their camp and stopped in complete dumbstruck horror as she saw the brutalized, bloody body of none other than-

    "Murphy?" Octavia cried.

    Oh hell no.

    Anger filled Scythe and she grabbed Murphy's arm, slick with blood and yanked him so he was standing. He cried out, but she didn't care, "What are you doing back here?"

    His wide eyes searched hers for any kind of mercy. He found none. Swallowing he said, "The Grounders tortured me. I didn't have anywhere else to go."

    "If you want sympathy you won't find it here," she spat.

    He bowed his head down, his matted, greasy brown hair falling forward, "Please."

    She growled at him and motioned for the two campers to bring him to the drop ship, "I'll let Bellamy counsel for your freedom. Good luck."

    ~*~*~*~*~

    "Where is he?" Bellamy growled, marching into the drop ship as soon as he heard.

    "Caught him trying to sneak into camp," Scythe said cooly, leaning against a wall, arms crossed over her chest.

    Murphy scowled, "I wasn't sneaking, I was running from Grounders."

    Bellamy whipped around, "Anyone see Grounders?"

    Scythe examined her nails, "Nope."

    He gave her a dry smile, "Well then."

    He rushed in to attack Murphy and Scythe watched with interest. But then Finn burst into the dropship, Clarke at his heels, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

    Scythe moved away from the wall, "We were clear on what would happen to him if he came back."

    Finn tried to argue for his life, "If he was with the Grounders he might know things that could help us."

    "If he was with the Grounders he knew things that could help them," Scythe ground out and everyone turned to Murphy.

    "You told them about us." Bellamy growled. It wasn't a question.

    "Yeah," Murphy shook his head, a haunted look in his eye, "Everything. I told them everything."

    The four of them looked at each other and Clarke spoke quietly, "Once he's better, we find out what he knows and then he's out of here, okay?"

    "And if he refuses to leave?"

    She looked over at him, "Then we kill him."

    ~*~*~*~

    Scythe was talking to Conner, debriefing him, "Is that everything you can remember?"

    He nodded and then Scythe looked away for a second, cursing Murphy. When she turned back, Connor's cheeks were stained with blood.

    He was crying blood.

    "Connor," Scythe breathed in horror and his legs gave out.

    Scythe caught him by the waist, slinging his arm around her shoulders to support him. He coughed violently into his sleeve and when he pulled back his shirt was flecked with blood.

    She half supported, half dragged Connor to the dropship, "Clarke!"

    Clarke exited hastily and Scythe stilled when she saw the bloodied tears on her face. What was going on?

    "Connor?" She asked, reaching for him.

    He coughed, "It won't stop."

    The blonde pulled them into the dropship and Scythe gently set Connor down and tried to help him get comfortable. She stood up and rolled her shoulders right as Bellamy came in.

    "Bellamy stay back," Clarke warned.

    He looked around and his eyes landed on Scythe, "Did he do something to you?"

    She shook her head and he turned around, "Then what the hell is this?"

    Clarke closed her eyes, "Biological warfare. You were waiting for the Grounders to retaliate for the bridge? This is it, Murphy is the weapon."

    Bellamy's eyes lit up with fury and he whipped around to Murphy, "Is this your revenge? Helping the Grounders kill us?"

    Murphy held his hands up, "I didn't know about this, okay? I swear."

    "Stop lying! When are they coming?"

    Clarke held her hand out and Bellamy quieted. She turned, "Think okay? What can you tell us that's useful?"

    "They are vicious, cruel."

    "You want to see vicious?" Bellamy threatened, stepping towards him.

    "Stop!" Clarke commanded, "Whatever this thing is, it spreads through contact."

    Bellamy's head whipped to Scythe just as Finn walked in. It gave them time to talk in private.

    "Scythe, are you sick?" He tried to take a step forwards, but she moved back. He didn't use her real name and Scythe was grateful he remembered.

    "No, I feel fine," it was the truth. She didn't feel anything unusual and she certainly hadn't cried any blood, "but you still have to stay back, I don't want to risk getting you sick."

    She turned around and closed her mouth when she saw Murphy staring at the two. She shook it off, turning back to Bellamy, "Go out there and lead our people, there's going to be chaos."

    Just then, Derek, another one of the sick campers began throwing up, blood coating the gray floor. Scythe immediately flew to his side, to Bellamy's protests, but Derek went still right as she touched him.

    "Is he-" Bellamy asked in horror.

    Scythe felt for his pulse, trying to banish the memories of her younger self in this same position, "Dead."

    There was silence for a count of five as reality began to set in. People were going to die. Lots of people were going to die.

    "We need quarantine," Clarke decided heavily, "Round up anyone who's had contact with Murphy."

    She turned to Scythe, "Can you remember who was with you when you found Murphy?"

    Absolute terror drenched Scythe and her eyes widened, turning to Bellamy, "Octavia."

    Bellamy practically sprinted out of the dropship.

    ~*~*~*~

    Clarke was beginning to become weary, Scythe could see it in her motions. Still, she examined Octavia, "No visible signs of swelling or bleeding."

    "So she doesn't have it?" Bellamy asked anxiously.

    Clarke pressed her lips together, "I'm saying she doesn't have any symptoms. We still need to keep her here in case that changes."

    "No way," he scoffed, "she'll get sick just being here."

    The blonde made a face that told Scythe she was too tired to deal with this and said, "Look, I'll put her and Scythe on the top floor with people who aren't symptomatic yet. Think of it as a way to stop her from sneaking out again."

    Octavia narrowed her eyes as Bellamy reluctantly left the dropship, "Screw you, Clarke."

    Clarke waited until Bellamy was completely out of earshot and then sighed, "Octavia wait. I need you to sneak out again."

    ~*~*~*~

    Scythe and Octavia made their way through the forest and the former could feel her friend's silence like a blanket around them, suffocating her.

    "Spit it out."

    Octavia pressed her lips together, "I've never seen you so cruel."

    "You've seen me cruel plenty of times," she retorted, "starting with that guard who kissed you."

    She shook her head, "You were harsh for a reason. But this time? You seemed like you were just cruel to be cruel. To prove you could be."

    That's exactly what had happened. She owed Octavia- her closest friend, an explanation.

   Scythe sighed softly, closing her eyes, "Tav, I was locked up when I was thirteen."

    Octavia stilled, "Why are you telling me this?"

"I just need you to understand."

    She continued, "Before that I wasn't allowed outside for more than a few hours a day and I didn't have anyone to talk to for the rest of that time. It was just me in a dark room."

Her voice wavered and nearly collapsed in on itself to admit it. She had never even hinted to Octavia about what her life was life.

    Octavia had gone white and she stopped walking. Scythe kept talking, "I'm eighteen now and sometimes- because of that," she fumbled for words, "I have a hard time talking with groups of people."

   She stopped and turned to face Octavia, jaw clenched against the pain, "There are bad people on the Ark, Tav. They do bad things to prisoners. And sometimes the prisoners find that the only way to survive the monsters is to become one of them, no matter how cruel they have to be."

    Octavia's mouth was open in an expression of such genuine shock, Scythe almost wished she hadn't said anything at all.

    "Why didn't you tell me?" She breathed out, horror filling her eyes.

    Scythe pressed her lips together, "Because the only other person I told turned on me the second I got the words out of my mouth."

    It took a second, but it dawned on Octavia, "Raven."

    Putting her head in her hands, Scythe took a deep breath, "Look. I've done some horrible, horrible things. I don't blame Raven for leaving. If you want to leave and cut ties off with me, that's okay. I'm giving you a way out, no judgment, no argument."

    Octavia was still for a moment before she scoffed, "Scythe, you must be absolutely crazy. I know I'm not getting the full story right now and honestly, I don't care if I ever do. You're my friend."

It was easy to forget down on the ground how important Octavia was to Scythe, how close they had been in the Skybox. Octavia had matured, and she was growing into a young woman that Scythe felt proud to call her friend.

    "I remember what you looked like when we first came down here," Octavia touched Scythe's cheek, "I know that the guards beat you and starved you for what you did for me."

    Scythe flinched at the memories, knowing that they did much, much worse. Octavia saw that, and tears built up in her eyes, crystal clear and she swallowed, "You did that to protect me. I'm not giving up on you."

    And in that moment all was forgiven.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.4K 522 81
"Then let me die a hero's death." If I could grow up differently, with my mom and dad- I wouldn't. I wouldn't because I don't want to doom someone el...
86.3K 2.5K 49
Xania was treated as an outcast because of the color of her blood. Her father Marcus Kane wasn't the best at being a father. She didn't know who her...
287K 5.9K 55
"You say that you have a whole hell of problems, but you underestimate the hell I've been through," I murmur, as he tilts his head downwards towards...
304K 10.3K 33
{Book 1 of 3} 𝙒𝙄𝙇𝙇 π˜½π™€ π™€π˜Ώπ™„π™π™„π™‰π™‚ π™Žπ™Šπ™Šπ™‰! I came to the ground being one of the 100s. Clarke Griffin kept an eye on me, they all did reall...