Duty

the_hooded_girl द्वारा

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... अधिक

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 6 Negotiations

1.5K 95 13
the_hooded_girl द्वारा

King Marcos let his eyes wander across the council room. All the lords of the provinces had come to join forces in this never-ending war. The house of Tirzé had come too. The kingdom of Tireze had been aiming for an alliance for a long time and now they had something to offer.

He had seen the girl last night. Nineteen years of age. She wasn’t a  beauty, but pretty enough. She would make a good wife.

He hadn’t said anything to Cyrus about it. If he played it right, his son would believe it had been his own choice. An alliance with Tireze would benefit both nations.

He hadn’t told his lords yet either. He needed this war council to succeed. And for that he needed the support of the provinces. He needed more men.

He placed his hands on the table and pushed up from his seat. “Welcome my lords, prince Darius. It is good to see that we are all capable of cooperating in these hard times. Hopefully we can come to an agreement that will suit us all.”

Darius nodded. “Yes, that is our hope as well.”

King Marcos inclined his head. It would be no easy task. The house Tirzé was known or its ill-tempered men. And he had heard what had taken place before last night’s banquet. It seemed negotiations had taken a nose dive before they had even started.

In different times, he might have been amused by the whole ordeal, but there was much at stake. If the prince of Tireze felt insulted, he could decide to turn his father’s eyes towards other allies.

They had enough enemies at the moment. Though Tireze was a small kingdom, it held much power.

His eyes moved to his own son, who was seated at the table. Cyrus had shown little interest in the politics of the realm.

Marcos sighed. He supposed it was his own fault. After his wife had died, he had retreated from public for a while. His father had ruled in his stead. And Cyrus had been left to his own devices.

‘Ah, Aelia,’ he thought, ‘would that you were still with us. What would you have made of this whole situation?’

He could almost hear her voice. “Let him have his Vara, my love. Let him be happy.”

But he couldn’t. The realm was important above anything else. Sacrifices had to be made. He knew that better than anyone.

“Alright,” he addressed the men in the room, “let us begin.”

***

Carefully Vara moved another pawn across the board. The room had filled with guests she was expected to entertain. She’d much rather be outside in the palace garden, but unfortunately the weather had been relentless all night and the rain was fiercely hitting against the shutters.

All across the room, soft conversations were going on. Some ladies were busy with their needlework, others were playing a card game. A minstrel was softy playing melodies in the corner.

Vara held back a sigh. Why anyone would find it such an honor to reside in her company was a mystery to her. She was the adopted sister of the prince, yes, but associating with her would not make Cyrus like them any better.

This time Vara did sigh.

Politics.

She was fed up with it. At least back home no one had a need to pretend to like her. They were honest. Here at court it was like stepping into a snake pit.

“You know,” Iolaus said while moving one of his pieces on the board, “you could at least pretend you’re enjoying this.”

As Cyrus would be occupied all day with politics and warfare, he had asked his friend to keep Vara company. Iolaus had complied without protest, but he would have preferred for the company to exist of more than young women eager to get close to  the prince.

“I am enjoying this,” Vara said in a flat tone, “can’t you tell by looking at my face?” She gave him a stiff teeth baring grin.

Iolaus raised an eyebrow. “If I didn’t know any better I’d say you’re about to eat me.”

Vara dropped her grin and leaned back in her chair. “How many more days of this?”

“As many as it takes to come to an understanding.” His eyes moved across the room until they landed on a quiet young woman at the far end. She was standing by herself, looking around uncertain. “Perhaps you should invite her over here,” Iolaus suggested, “she looks awfully uncomfortable.”

Vara followed his gaze and looked at Ariane. The princess of Tireze hadn’t spoken much at all since last night’s banquet. Even now she had not mingled with the other women. And they ignored her.

Vara bit her lip. She knew it was her duty to make the guests feel welcome, but Ariane was just so… demure.

“Vara,” Iolaus said softly, “she is a stranger at court. And Tireze has different customs. She does not know what is expected of her. Remember your first days at court?”

Vara glared at him. She didn’t need the reminder.”Fine,” she said,  “you bring her here.”

A faint smile passed across his lips and he stood up.

Ariane blinked in surprise when the young man from last night appeared at her shoulder to escort her to the lady Vara.

Her hands quickly straightened out some imaginary creases in her dress and she curtsied.

“No need for that,“ he smiled at her kindly, “I am only the son of a minor lord.”

“But you are still a lord,” Ariane said quietly.

Iolaus chuckled. “Hardly, I assure you.” He offered her is arm which she accepted.

“You have such different customs,” Ariane whispered.

“You’ll learn,” Iolaus told her, “the secret is in confidence.” He straightened his back and held his head up high. He winked at her.

Ariane smiled hesitantly. If only things were that easy. She didn’t feel very confident. She was only a foreigner here. She could feel the eyes of the other women on her as Iolaus guided her across the room. She swallowed nervously.

Iolaus leaned towards her. “Confidence,” he reminded her.

Ariane took a deep breath and steeled herself.

“See?” Iolaus grinned, “much better.” He let go of her to pull out a chair.

Ariane carefully sat down across from Vara. “My lady.”

“Lady Ariane,” Vara answered her greeting, “I hope you slept well after last night’s event.”

“Yes, thank you.”

“You are awfully quiet. Is the accommodation not to your liking?”

Ariane’s eyes widened. “No. I mean.. I have no complaints. I like the room…” She bit her lip and looked down. “Everything is just so new to me. I have never been away from home.”

“Never?” Vara asked surprised.

“It must seem strange to you,” Ariane said, “you must have seen many places. My father prefers to keep me at home where he can protect me.”

Vara raised an eyebrow. “From what I have seen, that brother of yours is more than capable of protecting you.”

“He is the prince, lady Vara,” Ariane blinked at her, “he has duties to attend.”

“A brother’s most important duty is to protect his sister.”

Ariane shook her head and smiled sadly. “Not when he’s the prince. He is a prince before he is my brother.”

Vara stared  at her puzzled. It seemed that the kingdom of Tireze didn’t have  high opinion of women. But it left her to wonder, if Ariane had never left her home before, then why now for this meeting, an affair of men?

Wheels started spinning in her head. There had to be more to it.

And then it clicked into place.

The king wasn’t looking for a bride for Cyrus at all. He had already found one.

Iolaus watched her concerned. “Vara?” he asked quietly.

Before Vara could respond, another voice spoke up. “Are you interested in learning our board games, lady Ariane?”

Vara looked up at the newcomer and recognized one of Giulia’s friends. Giulia herself sat some distance away. Every time she crossed eyes with Vara, the girl’s cheeks heated up and she turned away.

Vara bit back a content smile.

Giulia’s friend smiled at Ariane, but there was no kindness in it.

Ariane did not seem to notice. “I don’t know. Is it very complicated?”

‘Not if you have some wit,” the girl answered. Helena was her name, Vara now remembered.

Helena turned to her. “Is it not so, lady Vara?”

“There is more to it than wit,” Vara said calmly, “but please feel free to demonstrate.” She stood up from her chair and invited Helena to sit down.

Helena took the seat hesitantly. She had hoped to play against lady Vara. It would do no harm to be seen with the prince’s sister.

But Vara had other intentions. “I will leave you two to get acquainted,” she said, “it is very kind of you to teach the lady Ariane our traditions.”

Helena bit her lip. That had not been her intention at all. She had seen lady Vara invite Ariane to her table and she  had envied to foreign girl for receiving such honor. She had wanted a part in it.

Now she was stuck with the unobtrusive Tireze princess. There was nothing interesting about her.

Lady Vara was a different matter. Secretly, Helena was amused by the trick Vara had played on Giulia at the banquet. And she was glad she hadn’t been the target. It was about time someone put Giulia in place. Just because her family was one of the wealthiest in the district, didn’t mean she could just waltz around like she was the queen already.

Maybe, by being kind to lady Ariane who, apparently, was a friend of lady Vara, she could get a little closer to the royal family. And just maybe it would give her a chance at winning the prince’s heart.

Helena smiled at Ariane. “Shall I show you how the game is played?”

Yes. This would definitely work.

***

“And what will we receive in return?” Darius asked calmly. He looked at the king. “If Tireze is to lend aid by means of soldiers, it is only reasonable to be reimbursed. What can you offer us?”

“Trade,” Marcos met the prince’s look, “not only with us, but with our other allies as well. Ties with our noble hoses. I am certain there are many lords here present that would not object to committing themselves to the noble houses of Tireze by means of marriage.” He let his eyes move around the room and noticed many of his lords nod at the notion.

Darius nodded content. This was only formality. The official negotiations had already taken place weeks ago by means of couriers, but now need to be repeated in front of the council.

“My father the king offers three thousand men to be added to your army, but it will be your duty to feed them.”

King Marcos nodded. “Agreed. We had an excellent harvest. It will not be a problem.”

“My king, if I may,” one to the men stood up and after a nod from king Marcos he addressed the prince. “Your father is vey generous, but how soon can your men be dispatched? The longer we wait, the more ground the enemy will gain. The North wile be overrun.”

“Peace Crassus,” king Marcos held up his hand to calm the man down.

“With all respect, my king, but what does a boy know about the urgency of these matters?”

“My father,” prince Darius said in a  clear voice. He stood up from his seat and started pacing the room wit his hands behind his back. “… entrusted this mission to me. He knew that , as his heir, I would be capable of  leading these negotiations on behalf of Tireze. Lord Crassus, the army has been under my command for many years. I assure you, I am well aware of the urgency of these… matters. And it is in everyone’s best interest to conclude this meeting as soon as possible. So let’s come to an agreement, shall we?”

It was silent in the room. The men wore various expressions, from deep thought to annoyance and admiration.

It was Cyrus that broke it. He cleared his throat loudly and smirked. “Well then,” he said, “let’s get started. The sooner we can conclude this meeting, the sooner we can go have lunch. I don’t know about you, but  I am famished.”

***

Vara stared out of the window that overlooked the courtyard. The conversation she’d had with king Marcos a few days ago flashed through her mind.

“Your father saved my life.”

Her father had never mentioned anything like that, but now that she thought about it, she could pinpoint the moment.

He had come home one day injured. There had been a large gash across his ribcage. He had told her it had been an accident, but had avoided her eyes.

She had only been a child back then, then years old, so she had thought nothing of it at the time.

The king had told her an assassin had managed to enter the palace. He had been dressed as a servant. When Vara’s father hadn’t recognized the man, he had gone after him. The assassin had already reached the king’s quarters.

Her father had taken the knife meant for the king.

They had treated his wounds, but he had died from an infection a few days later at home.

Too late had they realized the weapon had been poisoned.

Vara bit her lip and wiped away the tears that had fallen from her eyes.

Why had he not told her?

“Vara?”

A hand fell on her shoulder and Vara jumped.

“I’m sorry,” Iolaus said, “I didn’t meant to frighten you.”

Vara shook her head. “You didn’t. I was in thought that’s all.”

Iolaus carefully took in her tearstained face. “Is the upcoming engagement upsetting you?” he asked softly.

Vara sighed and looked out over the courtyard again. “Perhaps a little, but I was thinking about my father, actually.”

“You still miss him.” It was a statement, not a question.

“I will always miss him. He was my father.” She sighed. Life had played a cruel trick on her. Her father could still be alive, if he hadn’t jumped in front of that assassin.

Her father could have lived.

But the king would have died.

And Cyrus would be king instead.

Things would have turned out so differently.

“I know it’s hard,” Iolaus interrupted her thoughts, “but try to be happy for him. He’ll be quicker to accept it if you do. Your opinion is important to him, he listen to you.”

Vara shook her head. “It doesn’t matter what I think. He’ll do it because it’s his duty, but he won’t accept it.” She bit her lip and looked at him hesitantly. “It’s Ariane, isn’t it? The king has already chosen.”

Iolaus sighed and looked out of the window. “I think very likely, but the king does not confide in me.” He glanced at Vara. “You know, she’s not that bad. Her brother may be an arrogant prick, but she’s very kind.”

“How can you tell? She’s hardly said a word.”

“She’s shy,” Iolaus smiled, “and a stranger. I told you before, V.”

“How’s Ophi?” Vara changed the subject. She didn’t want to talk about engagements and politics. “When will I see her again? It’s been so long.”

Iolaus smiled in understanding. “I will  tell her you asked about her.” He winked at her. “Don’t worry too much. Everything will turn out for the best. You’ll see.” He tapped her cheek and strolled away down the corridor.

Vara watched him go and sighed. “Best for who?” she muttered. Because in all honesty, she could not see it.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

2K 149 28
❝ 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑘𝑖𝑠𝑠 𝑜𝑓 𝑎𝑛 𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑙 𝑐𝑎𝑛 𝑝𝑢𝑡 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑎 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑡𝑜 𝑠𝑙𝑒𝑒𝑝, 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑎 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑖𝑠 𝑐𝑎𝑝𝑎𝑏𝑙𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑓...
567K 15.7K 31
He did not love her. It was a loveless marriage to him. In his eyes, she is just a burden who cooks food for him. And in return, he will earn money a...
6.3K 171 36
A spoiled elvish princess in love with a lowly soldier. Unfortunately (well, fortunately. But don't tell her that) she will come to realize her life...
79.9K 3.9K 52
Have you ever thought that you would go back in time? Especially, 1000 years ago? Have you ever thought you would fall in love with a person there? ...