Caged Bird Screaming

By altarviolence

Axe's nightmare has become reality. Not only has he been bought by one of the cruellest plantation owners in... More

The Auction
Reality
The lie
Henry and the angel
Yulana
Changes
Jack
Miriam
Despair
Injustice
Laura Smith
Fear
Isolation
The mistress
Man's memories
Running scared
Illusions
Past and present
Maze
Maze part two
Fear
Hawk woman
Bittersweet
Beautiful sadness
Sunday morning
Man of the sun
Deception
Secrets
She's the darkest horse
By the light of torch
Lies and demons
Sweet madness
The boy called....
The howling
Caged Bird Screaming

Loss

1K 67 15
By altarviolence

Henry opened his eyes and rose from his bed. He put on his coat, took his candle and left his chamber, slowly tippy toeing across the hallway. He smiled mischievously as he thought of the look Yulana would have on her face when he gave her a birthday card. Yulana said she didn’t know the date of her birth but was but said she celebrated it on the twenty fifth day of the ninth month. When he had inquired about her age, she had replied with a laugh “I am fifty two.” She had touched her cheeks and sighed. She later mentioned something about being old.

He held the small card in his left hand, hiding it behind his back. He stopped at the kitchen door, took a deep breath and entered, excited to see the surprised look on her face. He saw her standing by the bench cutting some fruit. He sneaked behind her and whispered quietly “Happy birthday Yulana!”

The slave jumped and turned around. Henry’s heart instantly sank when he saw the woman wasn’t Yulana. “I’m sorry to frighten you.” He said apologetically. “Do you know where Yulana is?”

“No master I don’t know where she is.” The slave replied and returned back to what she was doing.

“Oh.” Henry’s heart sank. “Well goodbye. I’m sorry for frightening you.”

Henry now had the woman’s full attention. Did the master’s son apologise to her? She turned around and smiled. “It’s fine master.”

Henry smiled widely and placed the candle on the floor. “My name is Henry.”

The woman raised an eyebrow. “It’s nice to meet you Henry.”

“Nice to meet you too. What’s your name?”

The woman didn’t know what to say for a moment. “My name is Ana.”

“That’s a beautiful name. I have to go but I hope I see you later. I have to go and look for Yulana.” Henry took his candle and left the kitchen.

The woman smiled and returned back to what she was doing.

Henry climbed the steps and entered the attic with the card in his hand. He sat by the window and looked out, hoping to catch a glimpse of Yulana. He felt sad because she wasn’t at the kitchen and didn’t leave him milk and cake like she always did. He sighed with frustration when he didn’t see her anywhere. He could feel panic rising in his chest but forced it down before it could take over.

He took his candle and made his way back to his chamber with a little flicker of hope burning in his chest that Yulana would be there with a grin on her face waiting for him.

She wasn’t there. Henry fought back tears as he burrowed himself under his covers. He tried to go back to sleep but couldn’t.  He didn’t know where Yulana was and it scared him.

His eyes fluttered open when something warm touched his cheek. “Yulana is that you?” he whispered.

“Yes it’s me.” Yulana eyes danced with happiness.

Henry hugged her and wiped the tears from his eyes glad she was with him. The only thing he could think of to say was “You didn’t leave me any cake or milk this morning.”

Yulana smiled and caressed his cheek. “I’m sorry about that. Tomorrow I’ll leave you a big piece of cake and some more milk to compensate for my forgetfulness.”

“Alright.” Henry smiled and hugged her again. “I thought you were gone.”

Yulana laughed “I didn’t go anywhere Henry. Don’t worry I will not leave you.”

Henry snuggled close to her chest and sighed. “Promise?”

“Yes I promise.”

“Good. I don’t know what I’ll do without you here. You’re my best friend.”

Yulana kissed his forehead. Henry gasped when he noticed her slowly becoming transparent and looked up. “Yulana what’s happening to you?” He asked with alarm.

Yulana didn’t answer. She was crying. “Henry.” She tried to grasp his shoulders but her hands went through his coat. She was fading away fast. “Henry look at me!” she ordered.

Henry looked at her through blurred eyes. “Don’t forget what I told you. God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love and sound mind. Remember what I told you.” She wanted to shake him but couldn’t. “Remember that when you have a bad dream all you have to do is go on your knees and pray because God would always be with you.”

“Yulana! Yulana!” Henry cried out as she faded away.

Henry woke up yelling “Yulana! Yulana!” She was nowhere to be seen. She was gone. On the floor was the small handkerchief she carried everywhere with her. She told him a preacher had given it to her as a child. She called it The gift. It was the only present she had ever received. Henry picked it from the ground with trembling hands. He plummeted onto his pillow and cried. Yulana was gone and never coming back.

Ana entered Henry’s bathing room ready to give him a bath. He was oddly quiet and withdrawn and didn’t talk to her.

“Good morning master.” Ana said with a smile. Henry glanced gloomily at her and looked back down again.

He trembled not from the cold, but from the way her black beady eyes flashed at him. She poured the warm water over his head and scrubbed him down. Henry flinched because she scrubbed his skin too roughly, making it burn. It made him miss Yulana even more. Her touch was different. She didn’t scrub his skin harshly and in a hurry, she did it gently and took her time. After all he always had stories to tell her.

“Do you want to know what happened to Yulana?” Ana asked.

Henry didn’t reply but just looked away. Ana rolled her eyes and continued talking “She was hanged yesterday at around dusk.”

Henry’s heart shattered like glass when he heard the words. 

“She was accused of stealing something valuable from your mama.”

Henry wanted to scream out that Yulana was innocent and would never steal anything from his mother. Ana didn’t notice how the boy felt. She was enjoying recalling the events of the day before.

Ana kept talking “She said she was innocent. But we all know she stole it. It was found in her hut. After all she is a liar. I could help but smile when they put the noose around her neck.” Ana made rings with the water and laughed with glee. “Yulana couldn’t stop saying she was innocent. She kept saying that until they hung her. The executioner let go of a rope and the ground under her feet gave way. She dropped and her eyes rolled back. She died swiftly. I’m sure of that. She was swaying from side to side like leaves on a tree when it’s windy. Then they took her down and cut off her head. It was later put on a large pole. Master said it served as a warning to anyone who’d dare to steal anything from him. Yulana’s head is in the town square if you want to see it.”  Henry shuddered.  She reminded him of a serpent.

“Goodbye Henry.” Ana said as she picked the empty tin bucket from the floor and walked out of the room.

Henry took slow deep breaths in a bid to calm himself down. He turned pale. Yulana could not have been hanged. She would never steal anything. She was loyal. No. No. Henry shook his head. Ana had been lying. She only said Yulana had died in order to scare him.

As much as Henry wanted to believe the thoughts in his head, Ana’s harsh words came back to haunt him. He had seen people’s heads hanging on poles in the town square. The images had were the source of his nightmares. He couldn’t imagine Yulana’s beautiful face on a pole. He couldn’t. The thought of it made Henry feel gutted to the core.

The thinking threw his head into chaos and the images of Yulana’s severed head became too much. Henry couldn’t take it any longer. He could feel the bile rising up his throat. He leaned over the tub and emptied the contents of his stomach onto the ground heaving heavily. Yulana was gone. She was never coming back.

He looked up as another slave came to get him dressed. Henry turned away “Please leave me alone. I want to dress myself.” He said.

The woman turned around and left without saying a single word. She would come back later and clean up his vomit from the floor. He slowly got out of the tub, put on his clothes and stumbled out of the room traumatized about what Ana had told him. He fell back onto his bed shaking fervently.

“God Yulana told me that when I’m scared I should talk to you. I am scared. I want Yulana back. I don’t know if what Ana told me was a lie. Yulana would never steal from anyone. I don’t know what has happened to her.” Henry said softly trying not to cry. His sorrow soon turned into exhaustion and he fell asleep.

Henry turned over and groaned when his name was being called. “I’m tired.” He mumbled.

“Wake up.” It was his mother. Henry opened one eye. She was standing over him, with a frown on her face.

Henry sat up rubbing his eyes and yawned.

“Why didn’t you attend breakfast?” She demanded.

“I was tired.” Henry complained.

Harriet sighed and sat on the edge of his bef. “Henry are you sick?”

“No mother. I’m fine.”

“The Negro told me you vomited this morning.”

“I’m feeling better now.” Henry tilted his head and smiled weakly. His mother touched his cheek. Henry jolted. Her hand was lifeless. Harriet noticed his discomfort and took her hand away. Both of them sat in silence not knowing what to say. There was an unbreakable barrier between them. Henry only knew of her as his biological mother...He didn’t know her. She was just a part of his life, and he didn’t share an emotional attachment with her.

Henry looked around tapping his fingers on the bed not knowing what to do. He really wanted to know what happened to Yulana. As much as he dreaded the thought of the way she allegedly died, he needed to know the truth for himself.

“Mother?” He said still unsure of himself.

“Yes Henry.”

Henry shuffled a littleand bit his lip before summing up the courage to ask her about Yulana. “What happened to Yulana?”

Harriet’s eyes narrowed. “What about her?” The little calm and love she had left in her seemed to vanish that instant.

“I...I haven’t seen her today.” Henry stammered.

“Forget about her.” Harriet said harshly and looked away.

“But mother Yulana-”

“DONT YOU DARE TALK ABOUT HER!!” Harriet screeched.

Henry jumped in fright. Harriet stood up and knocked his books from the bookshelf screaming like a mad woman. Henry began to cry. He wished Yulana was with him.

“God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love and sound mind. God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love and sound mind.” Henry said the words over and over again with his eyes closed. He could feel the fear slowly seeping out of him. He felt different. He felt brave. He felt strong.

He opened his eyes and watched his mother turn his room upside down. She then stopped and stood by the window. “Laura is coming to stay with us tomorrow for a week.” She then turned around and walked away.

Henry’s mouth flew open. Laura coming over meant trouble... a lot of trouble.

***

Heya! I hope y'all enjoyed this because ias much as I love you all and updating, 'm going to be updating every saturday! :) please don't forget to comment and vote. thank you. you are the best. xoxo shaba

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.3K 2.2K 21
I don't deal well when I'm pissed sometimes I'll punch a wall, thats weird isn't? Bad start anyway my parents are abusive and aren't the parents some...
204 1 25
Brighton grew up in a Muslim household with more then a dozen siblings. While his biological mother was pregnant she was sent away and when she retur...
67 2 25
In this small town, they are cut off from the rest around them do to a beast in the woods. Any who have entered have never come back to their homes...