Duty

the_hooded_girl tarafından

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... Daha Fazla

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 51 Baby steps

603 44 4
the_hooded_girl tarafından

Vara glanced at Chloe who stood at the window overlooking the garden. She smiled amused at the dreamy look in the servant girl's eyes. "Why don't you talk to him?" she spoke up.

Chloe flinched and turned around. She lowered her eyes. "Forgive me, my lady. I will go back to work now."

Vara rolled her eyes. "I'm sure the floors can wait a few minutes. They'll only get dirty again after I finish with this." She scowled at the table and glared at her hands.

Chloe looked up and frowned. "What on earth are you doing, my lady?"

Vara sighed. "I asked Eudemas to teach me how to make the bread, but now she has left me with this mess." She shook her hand and watched as a blob of sticky dough fell back onto the table.

Chloe couldn't help but let out a giggle. How lost Vara looked! There was probably more flour on her face than in the dough. She moved to the table. "It's not so bad, my lady," she assured Vara, "you only need to add a little more flour and keep kneading the dough. It is hard work and it takes a lot of patience, but then the dough will not be so sticky anymore and you can form it. Here, I will show you."

Vara huffed undignified and wiped her forehead with the back of her wrist. "I should be able to make the bread. It doesn't look so complicated when you and Eudemas do it."

Chloe shook her head amused as she took over from Vara. "Why would my lady even want to learn?" There was really no need to. She had servants to do the work for her.

Vara shrugged. "I like to be useful. This is my household. It is my choice if I want to work alongside you."

"Of course," Chloe said quietly while continuing kneading the dough.

Vara sighed. "Chloe," she said softly, "I didn't bring you to Boncini to punish you." She might have partially done it to spite Cyrus, but she had Chloe's best interest at heart. "I want you to be able to live your own life. Find happiness. Trust me, I know what it is like when others decide your life for you. Lykander is a good man. Perhaps you should give him a chance."

Chloe bit her lip and glanced at the window longingly. She had to admit that she had grown to enjoy Lykander's company. She was just afraid of getting hurt.

Vara smiled knowingly. "Go talk to him," she said, "in the end it will still be your choice whether you accept him or not, but you'll never know if you don't take the chance."

Chloe hesitated. "Like you with lord Iason?" she asked quietly. She bit her lip. The question was a little presumptuous, but Vara merely smiled.

"Yes," she said, "like that." Now she held a longing look of her own. Iason was currently away, making visits to the border patrol and reading through reports. He had been gone for several days and would be a few more. She missed him.

Fifty more men had been sent from the regiment to Salvire in Tirèze. A few days later, king Marcos had sent a hundred more. The reports they had received so far were promising. Still, it worried Vara that they seemed unable to put an end to the attacks completely. A few villages in the North had been pillaged. The soldiers had managed to capture some of the attackers, but a lot of people had lost their homes. It was Sylice all over again.

"He will be home soon." Chloe had been watching Vara carefully and had seen the loving expression on her face.

Vara smiled at her. "Yeah."

"There," Chloe said while dropping the large pile of dough on the table, "it only needed a little more time. Now it should rest so it can grow and then it can go into the oven. "

Vara blew a strand of hair away from her face and crossed her arms. "Next time I'll know how to do it myself."

Chloe smiled amused. "I'm sure my lady will."

Vara turned to her mischievously. "Just as I am sure you will go talk to a certain someone in the gardens right now."

Chloe blushed and smiled shyly. "As you say." She curtsied and hurried outside.

...

Ariane fumbled with her dress nervously as Cyrus lifted their son and planted him on the back of his horse. She was terrified he would fall and die. The horse was so large and Loukios was so small. He couldn't even walk yet!

"Stop fretting," Cyrus spoke when he noticed her restlessness, "nothing will happen to him." He was holding the boy securely while Iolaus held the horse. "He is a prince of Zeir. He needs to get acquainted with horses."

"But... he is still so small," Ariane protested weakly.

"He is almost a year," Cyrus retorted, "he is big enough. Don't be afraid. I will not let go of him."

Ariane bit her lip. She knew he was safe with his father. Cyrus might not love her, but he adored his son.

Cyrus glanced at her. "Or is it because you are afraid of horses?"

Ariane flinched and wrapped her arms around herself. "Tell me that brute of an animal cannot trample me with its hooves or bite off my fingers."

Cyrus smirked. "He can, but he has no reason to."

"Then it's best I don't give it a reason. I will keep my distance."

On top of the horse, Loukios crowed with joy and patted the animal's mane. Cyrus' horse snorted, making Loukios laugh louder. Cyrus grinned at his son proudly. "He'll be a great rider."

His horse chose that exact moment to sidestep. Ariane gasped in fright and rushed towards her son, but he only laughed again, securely held by his father.

Cyrus raised an eyebrow at her. "I told you not to worry. He would not have fallen."

"He is my son," Ariane pointed out, "I could not take that risk."

Cyrus smirked. "So you are not afraid my horse will trample you? Or eat your fingers?"

Ariane blinked confused, but then realized how close she was standing to the animal. She flinched and gasped. Quickly she took a few steps back.

Cyrus rolled his eyes and dropped Loukios in her arms. "Here. He needs a change."

Iolaus chuckled. "Now you're quick to hand him back."

"Wait until Ophelia and you have your first child," Cyrus commented, "let's see how quick you hand them back to your wife."

Iolaus smiled lovingly. "I can't wait." A date had finally been set. By the turn of the summer, he and Ophelia would finally be wed. He had mad the deposit on a townhouse last week. It was close to the palace and had a small courtyard. Only a handful of days...

Cyrus shook his head amused. "Has Vara given note yet?" He noticed the slight flinch Ariane gave, but ignored it.

Iolaus nodded. "She and Iason will both come a few days early. Ophelia has asked her to help her get ready. They'll be extending their visit afterwards and will ride with us to Valais. We will visit my family and Iason will visit his with Vara. They'll return to Boncini from there." He smirked. "Think you can manage a few days without me?"

Cyrus snorted. "I'll be grateful for the peace and quiet." He chuckled and slapped his friend's shoulder. "Enjoy your honeymoon. It has taken you long enough to finally make things official. When are you leaving for Santos?"

"The days after tomorrow," Iolaus answered, "Ophi's brothers will accompany me. Your father gave them leave."

"They'll keep a close watch on you until after the wedding," Cyrus smirked.

Iolaus sighed. "Don't you know it." Ophelia's brothers had always been protective of their sister. He shook his head amused. "Perhaps I should have bought a house further away from here. Or perhaps you can make sure they are too busy with their guard duties to glare at me."

Cyrus laughed. "Don't tell me you are still afraid of them."

"They are intimidating!" Iolaus defended, "trust me, I'd rather face Balor warlords."

"Says the soldier," Cyrus grinned. He took his horse's reins from his friend's hands. "I'll take him back to the stables. You have preparations yet to make."

A wide grin spread across Iolaus' face. He was finally getting married. With a smirk still plastered on his face, he walked inside.

...

Darius didn't understand this feeling that spread across his body as he looked at the small bundle in his wife's arms. Elora was rocking it gently and spoke soft words only the child could hear. When she sensed his approach, she looked up and smiled at him brightly. She glanced at the child again. "Look, little one, your father has come to meet you."

Darius hesitantly walked up to the bed. He had never set foot in the women's wing before.

The servant and physician bowed deeply at his approach, but Darius ignored them. He sat down on the edge of the bed and placed a hand on the newborn's head.

"Your son, my lord," Elora smiled.

A son! Darius withdrew a breath. An heir! He was beautiful!

"What will you name him?" Elora asked.

Darius shook his head. "He will not be named yet. It is bad luck. When the time is right, then he will receive his name."

Elora nodded. "Then I will wait for that." She held the child out to him. "Will you not hold him?"

Darius looked at her uncertain. Hold the child? How? It looked so fragile.

Elora saw the helpless look in his eyes and smiled. "Like this," she instructed him and placed the child in his arms.

...

"We need more men."

King Marcos sighed at the words of his council. More men. They always need more men. No matter where they strengthened the border, Balor always seemed to find a gap in their defenses. So far they had managed to hold the border, but at this rate it was only a matter of time. The tribes of Balor knew their way in the mountains better than anyone.

It was frustrating and a strain on his resources.

"More men won't hold back Balor," someone else spoke, "they always seem to find a way around our troops. We need scouts. Men that know the mountains. My king, let us sent a small party across the border. Have them infiltrate the camp of Balor. We need more information."

King Marcos rubbed his eyes. The suggestion made sense, but the mission would be dangerous. Balor was not known for their mercy. If these scouts were captured...

"Who would we send?" he asked.

"My king," one of his advisors spoke, "the villagers and shepherds that have their settlements near the mountains, they know the trails normal travelers would not. They know paths we are not aware of..."

"They are also not trained in weapons," another spoke.

"Then sent a small group of trained soldiers to accompany them. My king, we need eyes and ears in the enemy camp."

"I have to think about it," king Marcos spoke. He looked at Cyrus. "What do you think?" His son had been listening carefully the entire meeting.

Cyrus cleared his throat. "It is not a bad idea," he said, "villagers often know more than we do. They are familiar with the mountains and they hear things through merchants." He looked at his father. "We can ask in the border villages for volunteers. Surely some will be brave enough."

King Marcos studied the large map on the table. They didn't have much choice. He had already sent a hundred men to Salvire in Tirèze. Double that had been added to the regiment of Stregare and Moraye. Tens of thousands were currently defending the large Northern border. "Very well," he said reluctantly, "send out riders to the border villages. Request for volunteers first, if there is no response..." He sighed. "If there is no response, call all available men to arms."

A silence fell over the council room. Calling villagers to arms was always a last resort.

"My king," one of his advisors said hesitantly.

King Marcos' face was grim. "It is a drastic measure, I know, but it is better to implement it now when there is still time to train them."

"Do we even have the soldiers available to train farmers?"

"We will have to make due," king Marcos said firmly, "have the reports from Moraye come in?"

"They have," one of his advisors spoke, "they sunk two of the enemy's ships. The survivors were taken captive and are in Moraye's stronghold awaiting judgement."

"Stregare has also sent their report," another said.

"Nothing from Boncini yet."

Cyrus lifted his head at those words. "When should the report have arrived?" he asked, "they are close to the border. Were there any raids?"

"At ease, my prince," the lord who had spoken said, "there is no reason to believe something is amiss. Boncini has sent soldiers to Salvire, as you well know. Reports from there are slower. We expect one within the next few days."

Cyrus clenched his fists and shifted restlessly. Late reports were never a good sign. He didn't like the thought of Boncini being attacked. What if something had happened? If Vara was hurt... or worse. What if she was taken by Balor tribes? In his mind he pictured her beaten, broken, raped. He shuddered and felt the blood drain from his face. He would ride to Boncini tonight.

"Cyrus."

Cyrus looked up at his father's stern face and noticed the room was almost empty now. The council was slowly filing out of the council room. Had the meeting ended already? He rubbed his eyes and sat up straight. "I'll take my leave. I have things to take care of."

"You're staying here," his father spoke in a tone that left no room for argument. "There are things to discuss." When he saw the stubborn look on his son's face, he narrowed his eyes. "If I find you riding off to Boncini, I will have you confined. Do not test my patience, boy."

Cyrus gritted his teeth. "Have you no concern at all?! You took her on as your own daughter!"

"Exactly!" king Marcos agreed, "so quit acting like a jealous lover and focus on your own wife. On your son! You have your own family now. Vara has her own family."

"You heard what was being said," Cyrus protested, "the report is late."

"What I heard is that the report is expected within the next few days. There have been no disturbances in that region. Besides, Boncini is well protected." He looked at his son. "I have my informants in that area who will notify me if anything is amiss. Or did you truly believe I would leave her to her own devises?"

Cyrus blinked surprised. His father kept an eye on Boncini? He had not known.

King Marcos looked at his son sternly. "No riding off towards Boncini, you hear me?"

Cyrus gritted his teeth. "Father," he complied stiffly.

King Marcos gave a nod, accepting his son's word, and walked out of the room.

...

Ariane watched with a loving look in her eyes as her son happily crawled across the room. He was such a fearless child. The memory of him on her husband's large horse still made her shudder, but Loukios had been delighted. Perhaps it was because he was a boy.

But then again, Vara enjoyed riding too and she was definitely not a boy.

Ariane clenched her teeth and looked down at the floor. Vara had been gone from Auros for months, yet hints of her presence were still everywhere, not only in the physical sense, but also emotionally. Ariane couldn't help it. Every time her sister-in law was mentioned, she felt like screaming. She had hoped that in time Vara would be pushed to the background, that if Cyrus wasn't constantly confronted with her, his feelings would diminish.

Now she was beginning to think that would never happen. Vara might live far away, there would always be family gatherings, visits, and shared friends. She was a permanent part of their lives.

She would have to accept it. That didn't mean she had to like it.

A triumphantic crow made her look up and she gasped. Loukios had managed to pull himself up and was standing on two feet, supporting himself against a recliner. Her first instinct was to pull him away from the potential danger. He might fall and hurt himself.
But the proud look in his eyes halted her actions. She sat down and watched him quietly.

All thoughts of her rival vanished from her mind.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

80K 3.9K 52
Have you ever thought that you would go back in time? Especially, 1000 years ago? Have you ever thought you would fall in love with a person there? ...
2K 149 28
❝ 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑘𝑖𝑠𝑠 𝑜𝑓 𝑎𝑛 𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑙 𝑐𝑎𝑛 𝑝𝑢𝑡 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑎 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑡𝑜 𝑠𝑙𝑒𝑒𝑝, 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑎 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑖𝑠 𝑐𝑎𝑝𝑎𝑏𝑙𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑓...
746K 22.6K 40
• BOOK 1 IN MEANT TO BE SERIES • • COMPLETED • • STANDALONE • ~ "I was never yours." I retorted angrily. "Oh sweetheart. You were always min...
24 0 1
Princess. All my life, I have been waiting to become Queen, to finally be entitled to the throne. Having sleepless nights, studying hard, practicing...