Hopeless? ~ Third Part of Lov...

נכתב על ידי doyoupedal

It's been a long ride. With all the ups and down they've had in the past year and a half, Ashley and Nathan... עוד

Hopeless? ~ Third Part of Loverboy.
Chapter 1. ~ Nathan.
Chapter 2. ~ Ashley.
Chapter 3. ~ Nathan.
Chapter 4. ~ Ashley.
Chapter 5. ~ Ashley.
Chapter 6. ~ Nathan.
Chapter 7. ~ Ashley.
Chapter 8. ~ Nathan.
Chapter 9. ~ Ashley.
Chapter 10. ~ Nathan.
Chapter 11. ~ Ashley.
Chapter 12. ~ Nathan.
Chapter 13. ~ Ashley.
Chapter 15. ~ Ashley.
Chapter 16. ~ Nathan.
Chapter 17. ~ Ashley.
Chapter 18. ~ Nathan.
Chapter 19. ~ Ashley.
Chapter 20. ~ Nathan.
Chapter 21. ~ Ashley.
NOTE.
Chapter 22. ~ Nathan.
Chapter 23. ~ Nathan.
Chapter 24. ~ Nathan.

Chapter 14. ~ Nathan.

366 26 2
נכתב על ידי doyoupedal

I couldn't believe how stupid I was to not see it coming, and much less, to don't know that something was actually happening. I couldn't stop clenching my jaw in anger I felt  towards myself and my hands were always clenched into fists throughout the flight from Los Angeles to Boston. 

—Could you please explain to me why the hell did I spend $600 on a plane ticket? —Roxanne exclaimed, removing her crossed arms from her chest as I walked out of the airport. She looked a little altered.  

—I promise I'll pay, and I'll explain while we are in the car. —I walked past her in the hopes that she would follow me. 

—Anyway, you got a place to stay tonight? If you want, you can stay in my apartment. —She said looking around. Finally she stopped her eyes on Josh, who made ​​a hand signal for us to walk toward him. 

The truth was that I'm not sure sure if I am going to sleep, much less if I'll actually spend the night in one place. —It would be the best, thanks. —I answered. 

I said hello to Josh and he helped me put my stuff in the burgundy pick-up. —This should better be something important, bro, this truck isn't mine and I'm supposed to be in the hospital right now. 

I sighed and tried to calm down. —Do you consider Ashley an important person in your life? 

He looked at me as if the answer was obvious. —Sure, she's my best friend. 

—Then you don't have to regret anything. 

Finally we got in the car and Josh drived out of the hospital's parking lot. 

Roxanne watched me over her shoulder from the passenger seat. She let out a sigh and smiled with little patience. —Now, could you please tell me what's going on? 

I clenched my jaw a little more. —I think Ashley's in trouble. —I ran my hands through my hair. 

—Yes, I think you said that already before—. Roxanne answered and turned completely towards me—. You'll have to be a little more specific this time. 

I let air through my nose. I was so altered, but I didn't want to be rude to anyone. —Josh, I need you to take us Ashley's dorm. 

—Why? —He asked, laying his eyes on me in the rearview mirror. 

—Just... I need you to do it. 

—Damn it, Nathan. Could you please explain what's happening!? You're not the only one who cares about Ashley. —Roxanne said, her eyes wide. 

—Listen, Roxanne. I think someone has Ashley—

Roxanne interrupted me. —Having her as in kidnapped?

My heart cringed. I couldn't process it. —Yes, something like that.

Roxanne gasped and Josh put his hand on her leg. —What makes you think that? —He asked me. 

—I'm not 100% sure, maybe I'm just being extremely paranoid, so I need to check her room. 

Roxanne saw me with disgust. —How can you jump to conclusions so serious so fast, when you're not even sure? You scared me a lot. —She said—. Maybe your paranoia just cost me $600. 

I sighed and tried to calm down. Women, sometimes they manages to get on my nerves. I took my wallet out of my pocket and opened it right on the separation where the bills were. I counted 6 $100 bills and gave them to Roxanne, my smile lacking some patience. —Yeah, there you go. I owe you nothing now, you happy?

Roxanne took the money a little offended. —Why do you carry so much money around with you?—I ignored the question and ran my hands through my hair once again—. Let's see, Nathan, then why do you think that? 

—Let's just ... Let's just stick to check her room. If it happens what I think it will then I'll tell you the whole story. 

The two of them reluctantly stayed silent and Josh headed us to her dorm. Once  we got there, I got out of the car just when it stopped. 

—Roxanne do you have any copy of the key to her room? 

Roxanne hesitated before answering. —Er, no, but the dorm's counselor has a copy of all the rooms in her office. 

—And where we can find it? —I asked. 

—I think she's not here, but I know that her office is never locked so we can take it and no one will notice. 

—Great, I need you to tell me where it is. 

Roxanne guided Josh and me to the counselor's office and we got into it with no problem, where we took the copy of the key to Ashley's room, number 283. Again, Roxanne guided us through the halls until we got to her room. I opened the door. 

As I had imagined, everything was as if no one had been there for a couple of weeks: the bed was unmade, there was an empty can of iced tea on the desk as well as several books and notebooks opened on it and some clothes lying on the floor. 

—Of course, —Roxanne said as she watched the place and repeatedly nodded her head—. I was always the one who kept everything in order when we shared room. I figured out it would be like this. 

I checked the notes that were pinned on the cork over her desk. "REMEMBER to to those papers for Project V and  Project Management II!!!" I read one of them, the other was a reminder to study for 3 exams. 

I moved the mouse of her computer, and, surprisingly, it was still on. I clicked her username and typed in the password—she was so predictable. Instantly, I saw that her email was opened, and I noticed that she hadn't checked it for almost three weeks. 1st point. 

My eyes fell on her notebooks and I passed to the most recent used papers on which she had written, which were dated November 9th, 2012, three weeks ago. 2nd point. 

I turned to the calendar that was on her wall. The last time a box's day had an X crossing it over was November 11th. 3 weeks ago. 3rd point. 

I checked my messages. I had sent her a message that same day, on November 11th, telling her to call me when she got her dorm after leaving work that night. 

—She never arrived from the dorm that night. —I said softly. 

—What? —Roxanne turned around and asked me. 

I walked to where the calendar was and pointed to the date I was talking about. —I told her to let me know when she arrived here that day after work, the 11th of this month. She never told me anything after it. —I paused—. After that, she stopped talking to me. 

—What if it's a coincidence? —Josh said, raising his eyebrows—. What if she simply forgot to cross off the days that passed by? 

I laughed low and shook my head no a couple of times. I sat in the corner of her bed. —You don't understand, she NEVER forgets to do that. 

—You are right. —Roxanne shrugged—. She does it after she wakes up. 

Josh brought his hand to his lips. —Are you guys trying to convince me that that calendar without several days crossed out is actual evidence that she's in trouble? What if she's just out right now and we don't know?

I got up from the bed and walked back to the desktop. I showed them what I had found in her notebooks and on her computer. Josh still didn't seem convinced. —Maybe, I don't know, what if she's been staying with Aubree these past few weeks? 

—She would have told us and would have seen her. —Roxanne said, staring at a specific point on the ground. 

—Look at those notes... —I pointed towards them—. Plus, the exams are over. 

—Maybe she didn't take them off her wall? —Josh suggested. 

—Josh —I said, a little desperate—, do you think she might be able to break up with me? 

—No. Why you ask? 

—Because she did. Or at least someone made me believe she did. 

There was a heavy silence in the room. —Well, that is weird. 

—I can not believe that of all things, that was the one that convinced you. —Roxanne said. 

—That doesn't really matter. —I said, my mind in a million places at once. I sat on the bed—. Look, there are several things that don't fit for me, and I know that obviously she obviously hasn't been here for a couple of weeks. 

—Do you have more evidence? —Roxanne asked. 

—Yes. —I said and breathed—. Both my sister and her mom said they hadn't talked to her in a while, well, you, Roxanne —I looked at her— you yourself said that you haven't talked to her in a while also, and you haven't seen her in the campus right? —Roxanne nodded—. All right. She suddenly ended our relationship without any apparent reason, when we were both perfectly fine. 

—And she told me she was out of town with you when she actually never was. —Roxanne said. 

—Exactly. —I paused—. I read the messages she sent me on the plane again, and she called me "Nath". I was stupid enough not to realize before that she never calls me that. Also, she always likes to say things in my face and if she wanted to put an end to what we had, she would probably have waited until the time when she could be able to do it in person, not by text message. And although it sounds strange... She didn't seem to be the one writing down the text. The phrases were very serious and concrete. She never sends serious things in her messages. 

—Wait —Josh held up a finger, ordering me to stop talking—. Does her phone work? 

—Yes, but she won't answer it. The last time I tried to call her, she said she couldn't speak.  

—Have you tried calling her again?

—After that? Yes, but it's the same. 

—No, I mean recently. —Josh said. 

—No.

Josh pulled his phone out of his pants and dialed a number. He held up his phone to his ear and waited for someone to answer.  

After a few moments, he ended the call. —It's working, but nobody's answering. 

Roxanne, who hadn't said anything for a while, had her arms crossed over her chest whilst she bit her lips. —This is wrong. 

—I know. —Josh added. 

—What person with a twisted mind does this? —Roxanne asked. 

And, as if someone had turned on a light bulb in my brain, as if the two ends of a cable had been connected, I remembered the call I received while I was with Ashley and the others in these cabins that Nano rented for us in Tennessee. 

Be careful, Nathan, you're going down. 

Dionne was in America. Dionne had threatened me. Dionne wanted Ashley and I to break up. Dionne hated Ashley. Dionne had a twisted mind. Maybe she had something to do with this. 

—Dionne... —I whispered. 

Roxanne exploded. —WHAT? THAT STUPID FUCKING BITCH? OOOH, YOU'RE GONNA SEE, SHE'S—

—I'm not sure if it's her. —I said. 

Josh put his arms around Roxanne to calm her own. —What makes you think that? 

—Let's just says she has her motives. —I answered. 

—HOW THE HELL CAN YOU BE SO CALMED KNOWING THAT SHE COULD BE DOING ANYTHING TO ASHLEY? —Roxanne exclaimed—. IF YOU AREN'T GOING TO DO ANYTHING THEN I WILL CALL THE POLICE. 

—NO! —I took her hand before she could grab her cell phone from her pocket—. You can not call the police. 

—Why not? 

Josh sighed. —Let's see, first, calm down. —He told Roxanne and looked in her eyes—. If you alter a lot you can't think straight and then we'll do things the wrong way. —Roxanne closed her eyes and breathed for a moment. Josh turned to look at me at me—. Why can't we call emergency? I think it would be the most appropriate thing to do right now. 

—It's that...—I sighed—. If we do call, the news will be everywhere.

No one reacted. 

—So? —Roxanne asked. 

—I know it will sound extremely selfish and wrong, but maybe the record company won't like if it happens, well, I'm not the only one in the band and—

—To hell with your band, my best friend isn't right and I will call the police. —Roxanne said, dialing a number on her phone. 

—YOU THINK THAT I DON'T CARE? —I stood up from where I was sitting and launched myself toward Roxanne. 

Josh stood between us and put his hand on my chest. —Hey, hey, calm. I know that you both are concerned but we must remain calm. 

I looked away and let air out through my nose. I ran my hands through my hair. —I'm sorry. —I said and sat down—. It's just that if anything happens to her... I don't know what I'd do.  

Josh sat next to me. —It's all right, I completely understand what you must be feeling right now. But I think it's best to let the authorities know, after all, we can't do anything to fix this. —He paused—. Also, Nathan, you have to know that whatever happens to you, your life will always be public. There will always be someone trying to know of every little tiny movement you make. This is the life you chose, pal, and I think there is no turning back. 

Sometimes I just want a little privacy, but I guess he's right. 

—Do it. Call them. They'll find her faster. —I finally said. 

Roxanne called 911, where she presented our case. The operator redirected us to Cambridge City's police station, where we talked to the sheriff Henry Jefferson, who said he wanted to asks us some things in person. 

So we went to the police department where his office was. The sheriff, a mustachioed man who looked about 50 years old, met us and we all sat. 

—Let's see, tell me what's happening. —He said with a marked British accent. 

We told him what we thought was going on, I told him about the evidence we had—no matter how stupid it were—and I waited to be told what we should do next.  

The sheriff laughed a little. —And how is it that you can be so calm, young man? 

—Believe me, I'm saving it all because I know it will not be pretty. —I answered. 

The sheriff cleared his throat. —I see, you said that she, or this unknown person, has sent you messages from her phone, right? —I agreed—. Well, with those messages we can localize their exact location. —A small flame of hope was kindled in my body—. I just need you to give me your phone so we can track them down. 

I slid my phone over the table and he took it. 

—Well, you know where was the last time someone saw her? —He asked. 

—The night in which I think she got hijacked I told her to let me know when she got to the dorm after leaving work, but I think she never actually arrived, so I will say that the last time she was seen was probably at work or in the way to her dorm. 

—Tomorrow we will send some inspectors over to her job to ask questions, could you give me the address? 

I looked at Roxanne, because I didn't know the address. She wrote it on a paper and handed it to the sheriff. 

—Thank you. —There was a moment of silence. The sheriff cleared his throat—. Do you have the slightest idea of who could be doing this? Is there anobody with a purpose, or perhaps miss Underwood has some few enemies? 

I felt Roxanne's and Josh's eyes on me. I closed my eyes and forced myself to confess. —About that, sheriff, I think I know who did it. 

—Why hadn't you said anything? 

—Because I'm not sure yet. —I cleared it up—. You see, I have been threatened with this before and I was thinking that maybe that has something to do. 

—Who threatened you? 

I sighed. —Dionne Bromfield, my ex-girlfriend. 

The sheriff raised his eyebrows and wrote the name on a sheet of paper. —A case jealousy, maybe?

—I... don't know. —I paused—. I know that she's here in America when she doesn't live here. I thought it was maybe a coincidence. Maybe you're just looking at this like a simple case of jealousy, but I really don't know what she's capable of. 

—Well, we will make every effort to know where she is. As for you, you look very tired. You better go to sleep. We will keep you updated. 

I didn't like the idea, but I knew staying up wasn't going to be any better. So we grudgingly left the station and arrived at Josh and Roxanne's apartament. 

I had already said goodnight to them when and entered the guests room when I heard someone knocking the door. 

—Come in. —I said. 

Roxanne slid rthrough the open door and sat next to me at the end of the bed. 

—Hey, it's okay, you don't have to keep it all in. You know that keeping in feelings is toxic. —She said, placing a hand on my back. 

—I just... I can only feel anger against myself for not realizing it before.  

—Nobody realized it, Nath, you know how Ashley doesn't like it when people worry about her, maybe that's why she gave us both so convincing excuses. No one would have noticed. —She tried to calm down—. Moreover, it was very smart of you to manage to connect the points so fast. 

I breathed. —Did you tell a Aubree? 

—No, I will tell her in the morning when she wakes up. I don't think it's good to tell her now. You know she's crazy, I don't even wanna know what she'll do when she finds out. 

I laughed softly and then we spent some time in silence, both deep in our thoughts. 

—Maybe if I... —Roxanne's voice broke and I completely turned toward her—. If I were still her roommate we would have realized right when it happened. 

—Hey, no, don't say that. —I said and I hugged her—. It's all our fault, but it also isn't, okay? 

She blinked quickly so the tears wouldn't leave her eyes. —We will find her, right?

—Of course we will. —I smiled a little—. Now, we'd better both go to sleep if we want to be useful for something tomorrow. 

I said goodbye to her again before failling to sleep.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

38.7M 1M 75
In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." His voice is low, sending shivers down my...
4.9K 68 18
Charlotte McGuiness just graduated college and is getting ready for the real life. She goes with her brother, Jay who is a boyband member, in London...
26K 582 37
Nathan cheats on his high school girlfriend, Christy. Christy is pregnant with his baby but she doesn't get chance to tell him before they split up...
924K 14.8K 23
Best friends forever, right? Well, it's time for a twist. Raquan and Chantelle are your average pair of best friends. Nothing was done without the ot...