Yes, Sir

By Kota_G

She was just trying to make ends meet. What she didn't know was, ends meet was a sexy millionaire with the wi... More

0.1
0.2
0.3
0.5
0.6
0.7
0.8
0.9
1.0
1.1
1.2
1.3
1.4
1.5
1.6
1.7
1.8
1.9
2.0
2.1
2.2
2.3
2.4
2.5
2.6
2.7
2.8
2.9
3.0
3.1
3.2
3.3
3.4
3.5
3.6
3.7
3.8
3.9
4.0
4.1
4.2
4.3
4.4
4.5
4.6
4.7
4.8
4.9
5.0
5.1
5.2
5.3
5.4
5.5
5.6
5.7
5.8
5.9
6.0
6.1
6.2
6.3
6.4
6.5
6.6
6.7
6.8
6.9
7.0
7.1
7.2
7.3
7.4
7.5
7.6
7.7
7.8
7.9
8.0
Eilogue
Bonus Chapter Pt. 1
Bonus Chapter Pt. 2
Bonus Chapter Pt. 3

0.4

121K 3.1K 667
By Kota_G

•- Laine Bennett -•

I sit at my desk fiddling with the hem of my blouse as I stare at the phone with anxiety. It was bad enough I had trouble talking to anyone on my own phone, but making calls on another person's behalf was even more horrifying.

After a quick pep talk and a look at the clock telling me to get my ass in check, I lift the phone and dial Mr. Wood's mother.

She answers quickly, probably recognizing the number.

"Hello?" She says, her voice much more soft than I'd imagined. I'd never actually spoke with her to clear the confusion. His previous assistant left the information on my desk probably before she completely packed up and left yesterday so my knowledge was limited to a small sticky note attached to my screen.

"Hello, Mrs. Wood? I don't mean to bother you, but I'm Mr. Wood's new assistant and regarding your lunch today, he would like to reschedule for a dinner if that is okay with you?"

My voice was clearly shaken and I'm almost certain she could hear it which made me even more horrified. What do they say? Predators can smell fear. I'm damned.

"Oh that boy is always working his ass off. You tell him I'll move around my schedule. Thank you for informing me Miss-"

"Bennett," I say, "Lainey Bennett."

"Well, Miss. Lainey Bennett, it was a pleasure to speak with you. Don't let that kid get too under your skin. I know how those Wood men are. Have a lovely rest of the day."

I nod before realizing she couldn't quite see me. Or if she could, she probably flee like a man running from a penguin. Am I really afraid of penguins? Yes. Fucking terrifying animals. (would it really be me if I didn't put my own RATIONAL fears in?)

She hangs up the phone and I feel much better about myself. For no good reason either. It wasn't like she'd complimented me or anything, but she seemed like the polar opposite of her son, and that was a big relief that put to ease my fear of speaking with his mother.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding before dialing the number for the fancy restaurant that I'd only ever dreamed of dining at.

"Hello, this is regarding a reservation for Austin Wood scheduled for this afternoon. Unfortunately, Mr. Wood will be incapable of making it in time and would like to reschedule for this evening if there is an available opening at his usual table."

I chew on my bottom lip as I await the reply, thanking myself int he process for my choice of words. Very professional sounding if you were to ask me. I'm already getting the hang of this.

"It seems as though we are booked. We can offer another table however?"

I physically feel my heart drop to my stomach. Sure, that didn't seem like a big deal, but I was already at odds with the man and I'm sure my incapability to keep his preferred seating was only going to strengthen his distaste for me even more. If that was even possible.

"Oh dear," I sigh audibly, resting my forehead in my palm, "Is there any way there is a mixup? I don't mean to be a bother this early in the morning but it is crucial Mr. Wood has his usual table. I'm sure you understand, Sir."

"I can check again but I can't make any promises."

I wait, the silence slowly killing me inside. It was like God wanted me to fail.

"Miss?" The waiter says, or so I think he is I've never been to this place. My dining out is stricter to the Subway across the street from our apartment and if I'm feeling extra adventurous the Chinese restaurant just around the block.

"Yes, I'm still here," I say, confirming that I was still impatient as ever.

"It seems as though the table is booked but I think I can make an arrangement."

I sigh in relief even though this wasn't over yet.

"That would be brilliant, thank you so much," I smile brightly.

"Of course. Anything for Austin."

I was stunned for a moment. I'm well aware the man has a name. I've said it myself. But to hear it flow off the tongue so easily was just a bit concerning. How could anyone address a grouchy man like him so freely? College friends maybe? I could sit here and come up with a million reasonings why two human beings could have contact, but despite my job seeming easy, I did have a few things to do today.

"Yes well, it's so greatly appreciated. Thank you."

Our conversation ends and place the phone back into its position and let out a dramatic sigh.

I glance to the clock hung on the wall and notice how earlier it still was. It amazes me that even though I'd been late, the day was slowly passing.

Realizing I wasn't living up to Peggy's legacy of Sterling Cooper, despite that being a misogynistic time period, I lift the phone to my ear and call into Mr. Wood's office for a split second before the elevator doors open and steps off with a fresh cup of coffee in hand.

There goes my chance. Damn fool I am.

I clear my throat as he passes, making him turn my direction slowly.

"The reservations for tonight's dinner have been made. I don't mean to be a disruption, Sir, but is there anything else you would like me to do before the meeting begins?"

His eyes travel around the room, before landing back on me. He lifts his mug gently to his lips and tilts his head back slightly before coming back down to Earth. "Make sure everything in the conference room is in order and get the coffee orders now so they can make them all in time."

I nod my head gently, glad he was cooperating right now. I might lose it if he keeps up his whole charade. There had to be more to this guy. Shrek said it best.

Ogres have layers.

Maybe I should start leaving the house with Thea. That'd be a hell of a change.

He gives me one last look before disappearing into his office.

Whatever the hell pissed in his coffee should rot in hell. I'm just saying.

I walked around the office in search of the conference room but to no avail. It was like I needed to open a wardrobe to Narnia or something. Maybe run through a brick wall? These references are getting out of hand.

"Do you need some help?" Someone calls after me, making me turn on my heel to find the culprit.

"Oh, actually, yes, that's be fantastic," I smile politely as I secretly judge this man. He was for sure the Kenny of the office. Tall, dusty blonde hair, a little muscular but not to the point where he was ripping out of his dress shirt. Cough cough Austin Wood.

"Where exactly is the conference room? Mr. Wood wants it all orderly and I can't even find it to do that so," I ramble slightly to this strange man who had a humorous smile on his lips.

"You must be the new girl. I'm Brent. I work in the social media department," he extends his hand out, which I carefully take in my own.

"Lainey, nice to meet you."

Once introductions were out of the way, he leads me towards the conference room.

I must have passed it millions of times to get where I met Brent, so clearly my eyes were nothing more the deceiving little bastards.

"Thank you, I would have been wandering for another hour if it weren't for you," I laugh, stepping inside the spacious room.

A glass table was centered perfectly and around it were those egg like chairs in a clear plastic color with teal cushions on top. It looked nothing like Mr. Wood's taste from what I can see from the short lived glances into his office before the door closes.

"You wouldn't happen to know who all will be at said meeting and what their preference of caffeinated drinks are, would you?" I ask, a happy smile on my face for the first time all day.

"Here, let me help," he chuckles, walking into the room and getting ready to help me set everything up.

Boy was it my lucky day.

•———•

I arrived soon after the last person with a tray full of coffees from the coffee shop in the lobby. It was very convenient and with Brent beside me to help along the way, it was easier than I thought it'd be.

Brent was seated at the long edge of the table and smiles brightly at me when I walk into the room.

I was sure some people caught glimpse of his friendly actions due to their quick turns to see who he'd felt the need to smile at, but their interest simmer down as Mr. Wood clears his throat.

All eyes dart to him, excluding Brent who was still watching me to make sure I got everyone's drinks right.

Brent has given me a full run down of the seating chart, and I was beyond thankful that I managed to memorize it beforehand otherwise I'd be giving people the wrong cups.

As I hand Brent his, he winks up at me, causing me to roll my eyes before traveling along the line of people.

I stop in front of Mr. Wood and carefully place his in front of him. He refrains from making eye contact which made me feel ten times better than I had this morning. He always had an intense glare. Even from the pictures in the many magazines and news articles, you could tell he was a very guarded man and that was more intimidating than bringing a boy home to meet your then strict grandmother for the first time. Now that is horror.

I dispose of the cardboard tray and take a seat at one of the positioned chairs in the back and position the iPad Brent had set aside for me, onto my lap.

Opening a document, I prepare the device to type out what is discussed, seeing as that was what Brent told me to do and he hadn't steered me wrong yet.

I look up to see Mr. Wood staring in my direction, and if I wasn't sure there was a wall behind me, I might have actually looked to make sure.

For the first time since I got to the conference room, I take a look at him. I mean really look at him. His hair had been ruffled like someone had run their hand aggressively through the locks of hair. A single strand in particular was away from the rest and down in front of the corner of his forehead. It was odd to see him in this state but I'm sure his job of broodingly sitting in his office was so difficult. Note my sarcasm.

Even if I hadn't been at my desk very much this morning, I can assure you he never took a call. Or if he did, it was clearly for personal use.

People seem to catch on to his what looks to be a fascinated stare fixated on me, and it was clear he had too as he begins the meeting.

"Do we have any new developments regarding the Livingston Project?" Mr. Wood asks, his eyes darting around his other employees who held higher positions than I do. Not that I minded considering this was just something to hold me off until I can find one pertaining to my college degree.

I almost lost myself before regaining my conscience and vigorously typing my fingers on the glass screen.

Every time I brought my eyes front he device, I could see more and more of Austin Wood in his element. It was like our short staring contest was a distant memory now as he talked budgeting and other plans they could incorporate to the particular project.

Whatever it was that made Mr. Wood show up to this meeting looking like he'd just had intimate sex with Christina Hendricks was beyond me.

But one thing was for sure, I really need to stop relating my career to Mad Men.

•———•

I came home excited to write and that hasn't happened in a long ass time. So something in me must have sparked. I'm just kind of happy to be writing again and it's weird because it feels like I never took a break from Climax King. Or my poor updating skills because shit I take too long to update I'm sorry.

•Climax King

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8 0 4
*THIS SORTY IS ON GOING BUT I AN CURENTLY ALSO EDITING IT AS I GO ALONG. EXPECT A LOT OF CHANGES* Sophia Darling was a ray of sunshine. She saw the g...
1.4M 54.4K 43
When Logan Hunt, CEO of Hunt Company tries to help his fiancée in getting into the desired fashion show, the last thing he expected was to come face...
1K 84 68
"This is a deal Miss Wonder Hart you can't back away " It was meant to be a simple deal right, I needed a job and he wanted an assistant what can r...
422K 12.4K 40
His words had me heated. As he spoke he made it sexy, and it turned me on. He was right about the pull towards us. The sex between us worked...and it...