With You┃Dylan O'Brien ⓵

Oleh PrincessNoamy

Anita Burns has just moved from rainy Washington to sunny California where everything is different. With grad... Lebih Banyak

support my writing
Chapter One : Welcome to the Warmth
Chapter Two : Lockers Lunch & Learning
Chapter Three : For the First Time in Forever
Chapter Four : Getting Acquainted
Chapter Five : The Truth
Chapter Six : The Sun of the Beach
Chapter Seven : Day & Night
Chapter Eight : Finding the Right Words
Chapter Nine : Thanks to You
Chapter Ten : Go For It
Chapter Eleven : Remain Unspoken
Chapter Twelve : So Much About You
Chapter Thirteen : A Week to Remember
Chapter Fourteen : Nine, Ten, Eleven
Chapter Fifteen : Something to Smile About
Chapter Sixteen (Pt. 1) : How Unexpected
Chapter Sixteen (Pt. 2) : This is New
Chapter Seventeen : A Jealousy & A Conjecture
Chapter Eighteen : Lifeguards
Chapter Nineteen : Bad News Now Good News Later
Chapter Twenty-One : Monica & Claus
Chapter Twenty-Two : W.T.A.F.
Chapter Twenty-Three : Happy(?) Holidays
Chapter Twenty-Four : Castles & Kisses
Chapter Twenty-Five : Perfect Two
Chapter Twenty-Six : Christmas Day
Chapter Twenty-Seven : Another Christmas
Chapter Twenty-Eight : Hearts & Numbers
Chapter Twenty-Nine : That's Not True
Chapter Thirty : New Horizons
Chapter Thirty-One : Keep Going
TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE!
Chapter Thirty-Two : A Bad Start
Chapter Thirty-Three : Making the Most of the Worst
Chapter Thirty-Four : Blood Sweat and Tears
Chapter Thirty-Five : Trouble in Paradise
Chapter Thirty-Six : Never
Chapter Thirty-Seven : Don't Leave Me
Chapter Thirty-Eight : The Diagnosis
Chapter Thirty-Nine : Ever After
Epilogue
surprise!
A Preview of "Without You"

Chapter Twenty : Fantasy

12K 252 332
Oleh PrincessNoamy

"You know what I just remembered?", Adrian says, driving towards our school. It's dark outside and kind of chilly, for once.

"What's that?", Dylan asks.

"This is supposed to be a masquerade type thing and we don't have masks."

"Aw, man," Naomi sighs. "I knew we were forgetting something."

"Oh well," I shrug. "It's not like we really would have worn them anyway, right?"

"True," she agrees. "Plus none of that cliche 'I kissed you because I thought you were someone else' kind of stuff can happen."

"Um, I don't think that would've happened anyway," Dylan says.

"Yeah, that stuff only happens in cheesy teen romance movies," I add.

"They did it in Gossip Girl," she sasses.

Adrian laughs, "Further proving the point."

"Whatever!", Naomi huffs. "We're going without our freaking masks, that is that. Tons of other people probably forgot too, right?"

Wrong. Literally everyone in this gymnasium has their face hidden behind a mask; even the freaking DJ. The four of us stand out pretty well in this crowd.

"Well damn," Adrian says loudly. "We could not have been any more inaccurate."

"Yes, we can all see that," I reply.

Luckily, our ASB had the great idea to sell masks here at the dance. Bless them and their wonderful, ASB-ish ideas. The masks are in various colors, decorated with either rhinestones, glitter or ribbon. They actually look quite awesome and for five bucks, what a steal! We all put on our masks, our identities now hidden to fit in with the crowd of anonymous people.

The dances I had at my school in Washington were never all that great. Our ASB was not that well-funded, their ideas generally were for elementary school dances, and roughly only one hundred and fifty people out of over a thousand students would show up.

I've known from the get-go that Chatsworth would be different. But I never thought it would be this different. In a smaller school with only four hundred thirty-five students, I could tell just from glancing around the huge gym that at least half of them showed up.

It's pitch black in here, other than the various colored laser lights everywhere, and the disco ball. A thin layer of fog rolls throughout the place, lurking on the floor weaving in and out of people's moving feet. The decoration is astonishingly elaborate, too. It has the kind of decor you would imagine they save for Prom.

In short, the place looks freaking beautiful, the awesome dance-y music they're playing is the perfect amount of loud, and everyone looks amazing and as if they're having a good time. A grand amount of students are dancing, the remaining of them spectating, talking among themselves, or filling up from things found on the elaborate snack table.

This is by far the best dance I've ever been to, and I just got here. I knew Chatsworth was loaded (since this is basically a public school for kids who are all rich enough to go a private school), but this just puts into perspective exactly how loaded they are.

And everyone looks so happy to be here. Great atmosphere to be in; it gets me into the mood to party. Apparently my best friend feels the same way.

"Woo! Let's get down!", she hollers and leads the way to the dance floor.

I follow closely behind her while both of our boyfriend's wander off somewhere else to find a table and food. How typical of them.

Naomi and I dance our freaking bodies off, not caring who sees us or what they have to say. But I have to say that the people here are incredibly social; multiple dance circles form at random times for small amounts of time.

Random people I've only maybe seen in the hallways and in a few of my classes approach us and dance crazy with us like we're all the best of friends. It just feels great to have fun without worry with so many wonderful people.

I love my school.

Eventually Michelle finds us, wearing a long blue dress with lots of sparkles. Her makeup matches, and she looks quite pretty even with her mask on. She lets loose and boogies down with us too, but not before heavily complimenting our outfits. It kind of amazes me how much about my life has changed since I've been here.

If this was Sophomore Anita, last year in Washington, on the rare chance I would have even gone to a dance, I would be that awkward girl sitting at a table in a far corner by herself. Speaking of people sitting at tables in far corners, that is exactly what my boyfriend is doing in this moment.

The only saving grace is the fact that he is with Adrian and not alone. I know he isn't one for dancing that much, but it is my goal to get him up and out here for at least one song tonight.

For now, though, I get caught up in the funky business that is the cha cha slide.

Dylan's POV

Dances aren't really my thing, probably because they revolve around dancing, and, as I have previously stated, dancing is not exactly for me. The sole reason I'm at this Winter Formal right now is because of Anita. She wanted to go pretty badly and I'd do anything to make her happy.

Plus I get to see her all dressed up. Which, even though it makes me nervous, is enough to make me happy for a month.

I guess Adrian and Naomi factor into it a bit, too. They are my only other friends besides Anita, and this seemed like it would be another good bonding experience. Guess I'm trying to be more social. I think it's working.

For the past nearly hour, Adrian and I have been going back and forth between the snack table and sitting at the round table in the back corner of the gym that we've claimed as ours. Every once in a while, our female counterparts will come over for just a minute to hydrate themselves and try to convince us to join them. It never works.

It's a bit surprising how reluctant Adrian is to dance, considering he's a dancer and all. When I ask him about this, he says dancing at dances is significantly different from dancing "professionally". I kinda get it.

Even though I've spent the majority of the night so far sitting and talking and eating, I'm still having a lot of fun. Good music, good company, and good food make for a great night. Not to mention the fact that watching Anita laugh, dance and lose herself on the dance floor is pretty... mesmerizing.

I don't know, every thing she does makes her seem like a Goddess. Every thing she does she seems to do it with unmatched grace, and it always looks so carefully crafted yet so effortless and spontaneous. I never would have thought I could think about someone in these types of ways, but it's happening. I like it though, I like her.

At nine forty-five, I leave to use the restroom. A girl in the hallway has her ridiculously high heels off and is crying, two friends of hers comforting her. Another girl, the one I know to be named Cassie, is being escorted out of the dance with a male friend of hers by security. Things really go down at Winter Formal, I guess.

When I return to the table in the gym, Adrian is out on the dance floor with both his girlfriend and my own. His seat has been taken by Michelle, who smiles at me as I sit.

"Hi, Dylan," she says cheerfully, speaking over the loud music.

"Oh, hi," I say back.

I don't know much about Michelle, other than the fact that she has English and History with me, she is-- or was, on the cheer team with Anita and Naomi. Also apparently she is a lesbian with a raging hard-on for my girlfriend, so there's that.

Metaphorically speaking, of course. She is very nice though, and good friends with all my friends, so obviously she isn't that bad of a person.

"Not much of a dancer, huh?", Michelle asks as she turns to face me.

"No, I'm more of a spectator."

"I was never that way, I'm always up and dancing."

"Except for now?", I ask.

She laughs, "Yeah, except for now. I'm taking a break, real tired."

"Understandable."

After a minute, we both turn to look back out at the dance floor, but continue to talk to one another as Michelle strikes up a new conversation.

"I have a question, alright?", she begins. "Might come off a little strange, but who cares."

"Okay," I say slowly. What on Earth could this be about?

"You ever fantasize about people?"

My mind immediately soars to Anita. Couldn't quite help that one. Of course I've fantasized about her, I'm sure any guy who's ever looked at her, has.

"Um," I reply in my usual awkward tone. "You could say that."

"Don't sound so embarrassed or whatever, it's perfectly normal. I do it all the time."

What is she getting at with all this? "Right. So... you fantasize about celebrities, or...?"

"Okay, well, do you wanna know something that's kind of a secret?", she asks quickly.

Oh God.

"Sure."

"Your good friend Anita, so hot. So hot. Do you know how hard it is to be just friends with someone that attractive?"

As a matter of a fact, Michelle, I totally do. I know the pain. I went through that pain for months. Wait, does Michelle not know that the two of us are dating?

"Yeah," I say slowly. "I know how hard it is, considering she's my friend, too."

She gasps, "So you do have the hots for her! I knew it!"

Yep, she has no idea about us.

"If only I could find a way to make her like girls," she says with a shake of her head. "If not lesbian, she could at least be bi. That way we could share her." She laughs.

Well that sounds like my cue to leave, this just got entirely too awkward for me.

I give a brief, very fake laugh to be polite before excusing myself to the snack table. I'm not even hungry! I just had to make a hasty exit in order to extricate myself from that conversation. I down my fifth cup of fruit punch, and throw away the paper cup just as my phone vibrates in my pocket.

From: Bonita Anita, 9:58pm

Where tf r u hiding, u nerd?

I just went to get some food. Again. I'm coming back now. PS I don't find 'nerd' an insult.

I've got plenty more up my sleeve if u don't get ur ass over here in the next like 2 seconds

"I'm here!", I exclaim as I take my seat next to Anita. Michelle is gone.

"Yay!", she responds with a smile, giving me a side hug. "How has it been sitting in the corner like a creeper all night?"

"Pretty fun, actually. Until a few minutes ago when I was alone with Michelle."

"Oh no, why do you say that? What happened?"

"Um, let's just say she brought up a rather interesting topic, during which I had to make a bee line for the food table."

Anita tilts her head at me, "What topic?"

"You! She so has the hots for you, it's frickin' ridiculous! I swear, she wants to have your adopted babies!"

"What?! Does she not know that you and I are dating?"

"Not at all, from how she was talking! You'd think she'd know by now, but what the heck do I know..."

She shakes her head, "One thing's for sure, she's damn good at hiding it. Either that or I mistake her flirtatious remarks for standard friendly ones."

I give her a look, "You know, she was talking about converting you out of heterosexuality."

"Is that even possible? Can you do that?"

My eyes widen, "Why, are you interested?"

"No! It's just a question, jeez," she replies with a light laugh. "You need to chill out, you know that you're my everything."

I turn to stare at her as my heart flutters, trying hard not to outbreak into a massive grin, "Did you just say that?"

"Yes," she says, looking up at me suddenly seeming worried. "Should I not have? Was it too creepy or cheesy or something?"

"No, it was like, the best thing I've ever heard."

My girlfriend smiles that stunning smile of hers before tilting her head back and pursing her lips in the cute way she always does when she wants a kiss. I give her what she's silently asking for and she grins before abruptly standing up.

"You know what part of your job is, as my boyfriend?", she asks.

"Showering you with kisses?"

I see her smirk a bit, "Besides that."

"What is it that you have in mind?"

"You have to dance with me!"

I groan, "Do I have to?"

"Yes! You asked me to a dance, what did you think was gonna happen?"

"Will it make you that happy?"

"Very!", she takes one of my hands in both of hers. "Please, baby?"

Well damn it all, I have to give in because she's giving me that face. It's hard to say no to her at all, but it's even harder when she gets all dressed up the way she is. It's downright impossible to tell her no when she's making her puppy dog face. It is ruthless. It gets me every time.

"Alright, let's go."

"YES!", she yells excitedly before grabbing my hand and pulling me onto the dance floor.

From the tables it was easy to see how packed the dance floor was, but once you're actually on it, it's miraculous how anyone is even able to move. I may be over-exaggerating a bit, but the point is, it's packed. We finally come to a stopping point where we've located the rest of our group.

It's then that Anita begins to make me dance with her, and it goes about how the dancing went at her Grandmother's birthday party. My "dancing" is more just her pulling me this way and that and moving my arms around with her like crazy noodles. Despite myself, it's still rather entertaining and I somehow find myself laughing the entire time.

Time flies by and before I know it, it's eleven o'clock and the dance is over. The DJ makes a goodnight announcement and tells everyone to drive home safely as we all exit to the parking lot. The four of us climb into Adrian's car and decide we should get some food from our usual place: Chick-a-dee's.

But as we're waiting to pull out of the lot, Anita stops us from doing so.

"Hold on," she exclaims suddenly, looking around. "I left my phone in the bathroom."

She unbuckles her seat belt and opens the door, "I'll be right back."

"Do you want me to go with you?", Naomi asks.

"No, I'll just be a minute."

She quickly walks back into the building, disappearing behind the large amount of people crowded in front of the school.

A lot of time goes by, or at least it feels that way. I check the time on my phone every thirty seconds. Almost ten minutes have gone by and she hasn't answered her phone the three times that I called it.

"Maybe she just hasn't found it yet?", Naomi suggests in a hopeful manner.

"I don't know," Adrian disagrees. "This is taking too long for my liking."

"I'm going in," she says with a determined face, quickly entering the school.

~

Anita's POV

When I leave the car, I head straight for the bathroom. A few people are still lingering and socializing in the hallways, though most are making their way out of the doors.

I walk far down to the end of the hall where the restrooms are, but before I'm able to even swing the door open, someone stops me. A hand grabs my arm as I'm reaching for the door, and I retract it immediately.

I turn my head and see that guy... That guy from my first week at school, the bad one. What's his name? Jason?

"Anita," he says in an upbeat voice. "It's me, Jason."

At least I got his name right. I tell myself to remain calm and play nice, "Oh, hi, you startled me."

He chuckles, "Sorry about that, just wanted to talk to you while I had a chance."

"Talk to me about what?"

"There's been this sort of rumor going around school that you're apparently dating Dylan O'Brien?"

"Yeah?", I raise an eyebrow.

"So, it's true then?"

"Very much so."

"Well that's quite a shocker," he says while crossing his arms.

"What's so shocking about it?", I mimic his gesture.

"Him. With you."

"I know what you're getting at," I say slightly irritated. "Everybody always says the same damn thing: he's such a quiet nobody blah blah and you're so out there and blah blah. Why can't you all just accept the fact that he and I are very much together and incredibly happy about it?"

"Whoa, calm down. I was just making an observation."

"Mhm."

"I just never thought he would ever even talk to anyone, it's the surprise of the century," he laughs.

I throw my arms in the air wildly, "That's another thing! Everyone says 'oh I didn't know he could even speak' or 'wow Dylan actually said more than three words'. None of you actually know him and you never freakin try to. You just assume all this shit about him that's absolutely ridiculous. If you spent just five minutes talking to the guy, you would realize how amazing and normal and insanely intelligent he is."

He puts his hands up in mock surrender, "Okay, okay, obviously you really like him. I wasn't trying to make you mad, I was just saying--"

"I know what you're just saying and I'm 'just saying' I'm tired of hearing it! I'm done!"

Dammit, I've not remembered to keep calm, and I'm letting my emotions get the best of me. No no no, I feel tears stinging my eyes, stop stop stop. Jason wisely walks away after a second, and I finally duck into the bathroom. Venturing into the stall I had used earlier, I see my phone waiting for me on top of the toilet paper dispenser.

When I turn around and walk out, I see Naomi standing right there in front of me, causing me to jump. What is with people and sneaking up on me?

"Jeez, you scared me," I tell her.

"Sorry," she says with a slight laugh, then surveys my face. "Are you crying? What's wrong?!"

"No, nothing. I just ranted at someone about Dylan and I let my emotions get the best of me," I'm forced to take a paper towel from the wall and dab at my eyes with it until the tears are gone.

"Aw, babe," Naomi says, giving me a hug. "Who was it?"

"Jason."

"Jason Moore?", she asks with a disgusted face as she pulls away.

"Yeah."

"Gross. He isn't worth the time, okay? I admire the amount of emotion you feel for your boyfriend, though. It's amazing."

"Naomi, I think I love him."

Her green eyes widen for a second then a gigantic smile outbreaks upon her face, "AWWW! Really?!"

"I've never really been in love before, but... I think so. It feels like I imagine it would," I tell her honestly.

"That is the single greatest thing I have ever heard!", she smacks my arm excitedly. "Wait, Dylan not Jason, right?"

"Don't be stupid," I smack her back.

"Okay, well I came in here to get you, mostly because the boy you're in love with was worried. We better get back."

We start walking back out to the car, "So can you like, not mention the whole 'being in love' thing?"

"What 'being in love' thing?", she winks at me.

"There you are!", Adrian exclaims as we climb into the car. "Did you stop in China on your way back?"

"Wow, my bad," I say with a small laugh. "I had to wait to get into the stall." My lying game is on point.

"Good thing this diner is twenty-four hours," he mentions as we pull out onto the street.

"You sure you're okay?", Dylan asks me in a quiet voice.

I'm still getting used to his face without glasses, but in truth it isn't all too hard; his face is freaking gorgeous.

I grin at him in the darkness of the car, "I'm great."

He grins back and slowly slides his hand to the leather seat between us, obviously waiting. The only reason that seat is even vacant is because it's seat belt is broken, and I don't know about you, but I'm not one to take chances while in motorized vehicles.

His fingers tap the seat rhythmically, impatiently, as I purposely make him wait longer. When I can't wait anymore, I giggle lightly and join my hand with his between the two of us. His face suddenly is lit up by the glow of his phone's screen as his free hand taps away on it. I have a feeling I'll be receiving a text message soon. Just as I thought, I feel a violent vibration on my leg.

From: Dylan O'Bae, 11:21pm

For future reference, I don't like to be kept waiting

For future reference I like it when ur straight- forward

For future reference, bring clothes whenever we're out together this late

For future reference does this mean I'm coming over or nah?

That would be for present reference, first of all, and second of all, I would love for you to come home with me tonight

For present reference I will gladly accompany u home tonight despite my lack of formal night wear

"Formal night wear" okay, that isn't a problem we haven't dealt with in the past

So I get to wear ur clothes to bed again?

Well if you want me to be honest, you don't have to wear anything but

Dylan you did not just say that

Don't you like when I'm straight-forward? :)

I've created a monster

I'm a monster now? :(((

A lovable monster! And a hot one bc monsters r supposed to be like hideous or something and ur the exact opposite of hideous. So ur not really a monster, I take the whole monster thing back this is becoming way too complicated

Okay.

Have I ever mentioned that Chick-a-dee's is basically my favorite restaurant? It's not so much that the food is outstanding or the prices are out of this world. It's not super clean or elegant, and some of the waitresses are kind of scary. It's my favorite place because every time I come here, I have a marvelous time.

Every time I'm here, new memories are made along with inside jokes that cause raucous laughter. Stories are shared, new traits are exposed, and overall my friends and I have the greatest time. This is our fourth visit here as a group, and it is no different.

Tonight I find out that Adrian can juggle those little plastic cups of cream for at least three seconds at a time. Naomi finds an abandoned deck of cards and shows us a fascinating magic trick that blows our minds. Adrian beat boxes at one point and I sing random lyrics while Naomi and Dylan try their hand at freestyle rapping. They're pretty bad at it, but it's hilarious nonetheless.

We spend more time talking and laughing than eating.

My boyfriend and I get dropped off at his house at one in the morning. He quietly unlocks and opens the front door, closing it behind us carefully. We walk through the living room towards the stairs when the light at the top of the stairs turns on. Oh, son of a--

"Go hide," Dylan urges me as we hear his mother make her way down the steps.

I nod and quickly run to the kitchen where it's entirely cloaked in dark shadows. I can hear the conversation in the living room easily.

"Well there you are," his mother says, surprisingly in not a sleepy voice.

"Sorry I'm home so late," he replies. "My friends and I went out to eat afterward."

"It's okay, I used to do the same thing when I was in high school. You look so handsome, did you have fun?"

"Tons of fun. But I'm also really tired so I'm gonna head to bed."

"Don't forget Anita," she says smartly. OH wait, that's me! What?!

"What?!", Dylan voices my exact thought.

"I know high heels when I hear them."

"Oh," he says in his signature awkward tone. "So do you-- do you not care?"

"No," she says nonchalantly, I can hear her walking up the stairs. "Just know that I'm right across the hall."

"Your mom is the best," I say in a hushed tone, emerging from my hiding place.

He smiles, "I know."

In his bedroom, Dylan starts rummaging through his drawers, "So I was joking about the whole no clothes thing earlier..."

"I know."

"Yeah, because I don't really want you to just sleep naked with me. Okay, well, eventually yes, wait... Anita I'm not articulating... Just--"

"Babe!", I say with a laugh. "It's alright, I get what you mean!"

"Good," he exhales, handing me the clothes.

I run a hand through his hair with a grin on my face, "Are you blushing?"

"No," he says, swatting my hand away playfully. "Well maybe I am, but it's your fault."

"All in a day's work."

The two of us lay side-by-side on his bed, our hands intertwined as I play with his fingers.

"Why do you look the way that you look?", I ask him randomly.

"Um, genetics."

"I know that, I'm just saying... You're a very attractive individual."

"Can't tell if you're talking to yourself or not."

"I'm talking to you, you need to realize exactly how attractive you are," I tell him firmly.

"How attractive am I?"

"Are we doing this on a scale of one to ten thing?"

He chuckles, "I don't know, this is your thing."

"You're a solid ten."

"Thank you, I've always dreamed of the day someone would tell me I was 'a solid ten'."

"Glad I can make your dreams come true."

"You make all my dreams come true," he says, which causes me to go crazy on the inside.

He turns his entire body towards mine, burying his face into my neck, "Have you ever considered a career as a human pillow?"

I giggle, "Never."

"You're just really comfortable," he says in a sleepy voice, draping one of his arms over my midsection.

"Wait, are you falling asleep like this?", I ask.

He makes a noise.

"Babe?"

He makes another noise with an infliction at the end that makes it sound like a question.

"Goodnight."

Instead of another noise he places a soft kiss on my neck. I smile to myself and enjoy his presence until my eyes fall on their own.

~

A/N

Hey, y'all! Sorry this is a day late, I've been participating in Summer dance again, & to say the least it is time-consuming and exhausting! I'm always inspired to write though, so don't worry about this stopping suddenly or anything (:

Also, thanks to everyone for the lovely comments & votes! Love you all so much! xo

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

1M 17.7K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
1.5M 44.8K 35
rileymuller: andrew garfield was a better spiderman than tom holland ever will be js tomholland2013: i hope your team loses tomorrow js ...
772K 26K 70
A story where a girl would do anything to get rid of her studies including getting married with a Mafia king but fate played opposite of it even afte...
25.9K 867 16
It's no secret that it's not easy getting noticed on Wattpad. Whether you're a new writer, just posted a new story, or looking for some extra promo...