Chapter Five : The Truth

I get to school a little later than usual, but I'm still in History on time. Cassie isn't here today, so I don't do much the whole time but sit and actually pay attention to the nonsense coming out of Lofton's mouth.

In Calculus there are a lot of people hollering "hump day", which Mister Trivino finds hilarious but I find annoying. We're given a worksheet that we're meant to work on in groups of three. Adrian and I team up with a guy who kind of scares me and looks an awful lot like Harry Potter but without the glasses. Or the scar. He turns out to know a lot about what we're doing, and we're the first group to finish with three minutes to spare.

Adrian and I walk to the first floor together, making polite conversation. He asks me how tryouts went, I say great and ask him how football practice was and he says it was okay. We go our separate ways as we get to the first floor and I head into English. I take my seat that's warm from the sun, and Dylan joins me soon after.

"Hola," I say to him.

"Hey," he returns. "What's up?"

"Nothing really," I lean my chin against my hand. "I'm kinda tired."

"That's me everyday. How did tryouts go?"

"Really well! I was surprised by how much fun I had."

"Then its a good thing you're trying out," he's been going through papers in his binder for a while and finally pulls one out and slides it over to me. "You're super good at Math, right?"

"Yeah, I guess. Are you in Calculus, too?", I ask him.

"No, I'm in Pre-Cal like all the normal Juniors."

I decide to ignore that comment, "What don't you understand?"

"We're learning about limits, and I got it for the most part. But this one here, number fifteen, I'm stuck on."

I look over the problem and tell him what he did wrong, and show him how to fix it. Just as he finishes the problem the right way, the bell rings and announcements begin playing loudly through the speaker. The announcer talks about a few things and one thing he mentions is that there's a cooking club meeting after school today. Beside me, I hear Dylan remark about how he forgot about that, and I can't help but pry...

"You're a part of the cooking club?", I ask him.

"I'm the vice-president or sous chef as we call it."

"So you can cook!", I exclaim delightedly.

"Well you'd think so, wouldn't you?"

I look at him, "You're the single most sarcastic human I've ever met."

He shrugs, "It's in my nature. Plus you just give me a lot of opportunities to use sarcasm, so. Blame yourself."

I roll my eyes but smile to myself as Missus Hathaway starts addressing the class. We work on our vocabulary a little more (which Dylan finishes and then helps me finish my own) and then we have to read twenty-five pages of the book.

Whatever we don't read in class is homework, so I block everyone out and solely focus on the words written on the pages in front of me. I shut the book a couple minutes before the bell is due to ring and I put it away in my backpack. Over on my right, I see that Dylan has fallen asleep with the book covering his face.

Trying not to laugh, I wake him up nicely, "Dylan." I tap his shoulder. "The bell is about to ring."

He opens his eyes and slowly sits up and fixes his glasses. He takes a look at his watch, stretches, and puts his book away. The whole time I'm still trying not to laugh and he finally glances at me.