Chapter Fifteen : Something to Smile About

"IS THIS SOME KIND OF JOKE?!", Naomi yells as she sits across from me on her bed.

I shake my head, grinning a little. I knew her reaction to my sleepover at Dylan's would be something dramatic. Not saying that I'm one to necessarily kiss and tell, but she's my best friend. And maybe I enjoy talking about kissing him, because he's basically perfect in my eyes.

"I didn't know he had it in him!", she exclaims excitedly. "But I guess you certainly had something in him, eh?" She chuckles at her own lame joke as she nudges me, causing me to laugh.

"You're dumb," I tell her.

"Sooo, remind me again why the two of you aren't just dating by now?"

"Originally, it was because we wanted to get to know each other better-"

"Clearly you've been doing a grand job at that."

"Hey!", I laugh briefly. "I guess you're right, but not like that. We actually know each other really well by now. Maybe we'll date soon then, I dunno."

"Alright well, when it happens I better be the first to know!"

"You always are."

It's Sunday evening and here I am at Naomi's house. She invited me over because Sunday is the only day of the week on which her family's restaurant is not open for business. We've been hanging out for the past three hours, watching tv, playing a dance game with her siblings, cleaning her room, and now talking.

"Okay, Anita... If someone told me something that had to with you, you would want me to tell you right?", Naomi asks after a couple seconds of silence.

"Um, yeah, of course," I answer. "What, did someone say something about me?"

"I told them I wouldn't tell, but I can't keep secrets from you; I love you."

"I'm not gonna tell! Anyone! Please just tell me," I whine.

"Alright well, a friend of ours has been slowly but surely developing a crush on you."

"Is this Dylan, because I already knew that."

"No, dummy! It's Michelle!"

I stare at her, "Are you being serious right now?"

"Totally legit."

"Why does she have to have a crush on me?!"

"Don't be offended!", she laughs a little. "You're just hot."

"I just want her to be my friend, now I feel bad."

"Don't feel bad, it's not like you can help it. You aren't obligated to have feelings for her. Or anyone, for that matter."

"I know," I nod. "Just kinda weird."

"Don't act any different around her," Naomi warns.

"It's not like I was planning on it anyway, but why?"

"She doesn't need to know that you know."

"She won't."

Back at home as I'm laying in my bed, it's ten o'clock. The screen of my phone lights up with a call from the man of the hour.

"Hi, Dylan!", I answer the phone cheerfully.

"Hey," he returns simply.

"On your way home from work?"

"As always. It was so busy tonight, Anita, you have no idea."

"Aw, poor baby. You tired?"

"Very. I'll sleep well tonight, that's for sure."