2175 C.E.

By jonbrain

In the year 2175, a Hegemony science vessel was detached to an uninhabited exoplanet in orbit of star RN-06 i... More

Prologue
I: RN-06
II: The Swordfish
III: Task Force 6
IV: The Coming of the Black Ship
V: Black Ship Scenarios
VI: The Dark Shape
VII: Patient Olivia Mattingly
VIII: Footprints in the Dark
IX: 4:25 AM
X: Rumors in the Night
XI: The Interrogation Room
XII: The Zaha-Katchem
XIII: Do You Remember the 24th of July?
XIV: Who Are We Now That You've Seen Us?
XV:Captive (Revised)
XVI: Interview with the Telepath
XVII: Who Watches
XVIII: The Terrorists
XIX: Calamity of Calamities
XX: Minutes to Midnight
XXI: Flight of the Black Probe
XXII: The Gathering Storm
XXIII: Iacta Alea Est (The Die is Cast)
XXIV: The Battle of Nova
XXV: The Debrief of Yong An-Hong
XXVI: "The Council of Elrond"
Part 2
I: The Town of Jimeso is Burning
II: All the Medicine in the World
III: Shifts in the Winds
IV: Comes the Hurricane
V: Aftermaths
VI: Pray to the Stars
VII: Gennady Semyonov
IX: Zakal-Faah
X: Operation ZERO
XI: Welcome to the Homefront
XII: The Awakening
XIII: The Trojan Horse
XIV: The Battle of Earth
XV: The Treaty of Yvar

VIII: Rorith

48 12 2
By jonbrain

Personal Journal: William Aucaman

08/23/2175

I don't think I have much time to write tonight; today has been hectic and I know that there's supposed to be some really important news announcement from the Grushan Senate tonight. I don't know what it is, but it's supposed to be about the war, so everyone in our shelter is pretty interested in whatever it is. That being said, I haven't heard whether it's about the war on Earth or the war on Nova or the war in space. But anyway, I'm getting sidetracked. Rorith arrived today.

When Dumarith introduced us, I had this odd feeling like there was something different about him. I don't know what it is; every once in a while, my mom told me that she would get a feeling about someone or something, not something that she could pin down, she tells me, but something that wouldn't go away and would ultimately affect everything she thinks and does towards that person. She tells me that Dad was that way, and that she just "knew" right off the bat with him, not that that ever helped me that much. But I knew something about Rorith the moment I laid eyes on him. Or maybe it was when he started talking. Obviously, he was translated, but what I heard of his actual voice was one of the most peaceful sounds I've ever heard. I remember learning that the main Grushan language is actually three languages; the names get translated (and I looked this up) as warspeak, songspeak, and dayspeak. Warspeak is a heavy growl like a wolf, dayspeak is kind of a click and grunt language like a dog bark, and songspeak sounds like birdsong. Dumarith speaks with a mix of the three, but mostly in dayspeak; Rorith was exclusively songspeak.

Dumarith called Cynthia and I to his makeshift office in the government bunker. Rorith was there too. As far as Grushan go, he didn't seem remarkable; his feathers were a different color from Dumarith and his aides and a lot thicker, which make me think that he might have come from a different region on their home planet.

"I was told that you were looking for me," he said to Cynthia. That was when I noticed whatever it is that's different about him. It's this weird peaceful air, like he knows what he is and what he wants and everything else just falls away from him like shed feathers, which is something that the Grushan do at certain times of the year.

"My sister is very sick," she replied. "The doctors are saying that she may never recover from the coma she's been in. They say they can't help, and Grushan medicine won't help her either." She sort of paused. "I don't know if you can help either. The ambassador suggested that you might help if the Zaha-Katchem really have some psychic influence."

Rorith must have caught something in her voice. "And you doubt that this is the case?"

Cynthia hesitated. "I do," she said.

"Do you believe that I am a mystic then?" Rorith asked.

"I..." Cynthia looked uncertain. "The ambassador does."

Rorith laughed. "You should consider taking her as a protégé, Ambassador. She answers my question without answering it at all. I suspect she does not believe I am mystic, and is just grasping on the desperate hope that you offered." Then he turned back to Cynthia and sounded very serious. "I don't know either if the Zaha-Katchem really do possess the abilities that they boast to have. But if they do, I will do everything in my power to help, even if it is just prayer." Then he turned to me. "Have you also been touched by these creatures?"

I answered, "Yes, I was in a coma a few days ago. I had nightmares about them."

"I wondered," was all he said. Then he suggested that we go as soon as possible to see Olivia.

The ambassador came with us, along with his bodyguard detail, which is one part Grushan and one part human. There was another bombing raid outside, so we had to wait for a while to set out; when we did we managed to get across the city to our refugee shelter and got inside. Fortunately, there was no damage to the shelter this time; we've all been a bit on edge since the last bombing. We made our way to the shelter's infirmary and the doctor showed Rorith and us to Olivia's bed (she had to be moved a couple of times after the last bombing caused a lot of casualties). The ambassador waited outside.

I don't know what it is, but Grushan always look like they're hunting. Rorith had that same look in his eyes as the rest. He sat down on a stool next to Olivia's bed and examined her closely, sniffing every once in a while.

Olivia looked really bad today. She's gotten very thin in the last few weeks; I guess that almost a month in a coma would do that to just about everyone. She's extremely pale still, and there are huge bags under her eyes. It's like she's shriveling like a raisin. Cynthia started crying while she was watching Rorith do whatever it was he was planning to do. I held her hand.

Rorith looked over at us suddenly. "Can I touch her?" he asked us. Cynthia nodded. So, Rorith turned back to Olivia and put a claw on her forehead. The feathers on the back of his head raised almost like he was a dog or a cat that got scared by something. His big eyes closed for a moment and he sang something that didn't get translated. Then he cocked his head to one side as if he was listening to something. He hissed something in warspeak that again wasn't translated. Then he started singing again. Then he stopped and stood up. He turned back to us.

"I believe that she will recover," was all he said. Cynthia and I both stood there and blinked. Cynthia frowned.

"What do you mean?" she asked. "What did you do to her?"

"I did nothing," Rorith replied. "But she is a strong willed young human and she will pull through."

"You did nothing at all?" Cynthia asked, and she started to get angry. "Then what did you come here for?"

"I did nothing of myself," Rorith clarified. "I don't have that power; I'm called a mystic, but I'm no wizard. But I have laid hands on her, and I have asked that she be healed, and I believe that she will be healed, as should you."

"You've...asked?" Cynthia was beside herself. "I...trusted you! You gave me false hope! You're nothing but a dirty con! I don't care if the Grushan like you! Go to hell you...you... stupid lizard!"

Cynthia ran out of the room, and she was crying. I started to go after her, but she was out the door before I could make it. And I'll have to admit, I was a bit mad. So I turned back to Rorith and threw in a rebuke of my own: "You know, you were her last hope."

"I often am people's last hope," he replied. "People usually don't come to me until all other options are expended." Then he paused and thought. "Believe it or not, my presence doesn't usually have an immediate effect. There are a lot of cases where people who ask me to heal a loved one feel the way that she does for a day or maybe two before the healing actually comes. Many who ask once don't ask again for that reason. Even those who are healed don't often connect the healing with my presence because of the time it often takes." He thought for another moment. "It's actually been quite a blessing in many ways."

"Well, I think you should perhaps make sure to tell people more often," I pointed out. "She's been through more in the past month than you can possibly imagine."

"I'll keep that in mind. And I'll remind the ambassador to do the same," said Rorith. "What about you though? You've been touched by the Zaha-Katchem as well, haven't you? Have you recovered from the experience?" I answered yes, mostly. I do get this feeling of paranoia sometimes, but that's about the worst of it. He said that was good. "From what I've been able to grasp of there technology, which isn't much, it seems possible, even likely, that whatever alterations to the neural pathway they make may remain after the source of their control is gone. It might make you more susceptible to their influence in the future." And he asked if he could touch me. I didn't see why not, so I said yes, and he put a claw on my forehead. After a moment, he withdrew it.

"I think you'll be fine," he said. "I also think that the female Cynthia will be fine. That's all that I can tell you. Now I must go; the ambassador has requested a word, and I have to grant it to him. He has been a good friend to me while I have been Earth. I will pray for both of you."

As he was leaving, I asked him if the Zaha-Katchem really were supernatural. He replied, "Who isn't?"

I don't know really what to make of Rorith, or his last words to me. I can say that ever since he left, I've felt more at peace than I have since leaving Montana. And it's not peace like happiness; Cynthia has been distressed even more than she was before, and I've shared her fear and anguish as much as I can. But it's almost as if I feel safe here, and that's something I haven't felt in a long time. Olivia's still in her coma, and bombs are still falling outside. But it's almost like, the world just started turning in a different direction. And I don't know what that means.

I have to stop writing for now; I just heard that the Grushan announcement has started. I hope they've found a way to defeat the black ship.

Official Transcript: Grushan Senate Broadcast: 08/23/2175

[Begin Playback]

ANNOUNCER: (translated) This is an official broadcast of the Grushan Senate. Worlds throughout the Federation and Nova take heed; the Federation speaks. This broadcast will be received by all colonies as well as the Terran Hegemony and all confederated worlds. Now, Deputy Chairwoman Halarizh of the Grushan Senate.

HALARIZH: (translated) May the sun shine bright upon all worlds that hear these words. All in the Federation will know that I have been appointed as Chairwoman of the Grushan Senate since the departure of Praetor Almarith, who has taken leave of his Senatorial duties since the destruction of the Federal Grushan Star Fleet in Nova. I have been left to guide the deliberations of the Senate. I now report to you the result of those deliberations. As Commander of the Federal Grushan Star Fleet, Praetor Almarith recommended the surrender of the Grushan Federation to the Terran Hegemony in anticipation of further mass destruction caused by the Zaha-Katchem black ship. With no fleet to prevent the destruction of further colonies, this would seem prudent to the survival of the Grushan cultures and peoples that inhabit these worlds. However, the Senate has deliberated long, and no one among us, not the wisest or the most cowardly, can accept these terms. So the Senate has dissolved. The worlds of the Grushan Federation are represented by great leaders and nations of their own. It is the decision of the Senate to allow each of them to deal with the Terran menace in their own way, until such a time as organized resistance can be offered. The military body formerly known as the Federal Grushan Star Fleet will be considered rogue, and welcome at no ports. We know that many of you hearing this broadcast will thing that the Senate has abandoned the colonies it has sworn to protect. This is not true. The Senate stands with you. But its service to you cannot be maintained while in captivity. May Grushamarith be with you all.

[End Transcript]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17K 2.8K 34
MINDSLIP is the catastrophe which hits the Earth at 8.15am GMT next Wednesday morning. It began six hundred and fifty years earlier when Betelgeuse...
39.9K 1.8K 36
"Grian, I hereby sentence you to be BANISHED from this land. Your acts have been deemed treasonous. You have one day to pack whatever you can carry a...
114 23 11
Killing-that's all he ever thinks about. . .there is an imposter on the ship who thinks he can save humanity by killing them. But how can he easily e...
451 17 4
After the end of the Great Gatlantean Era and the Destruction of the Gamilan homeworld, The Earth Federation has seeked out ways to prevent what woul...