The Shadows ✔️ [TSS#3][BXB]

Od emmastories

COMPLETED Sequel to 'The Wet Divide' Book 3 of The Sector Series Viac

The Shadows
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XXXX
XXXXI
XXXXII
Book 4

XXXII

2.4K 151 42
Od emmastories

I scream through the pain in my chest and body, everywhere was on fire before a hollow feeling entered and made its home in my chest.

I didn't feel anything, all I felt was a numbness as my hand slipped further to the edge of the platform.

Why couldn't I let go?

As my broken hand clings to the edge, it snaps again and a fluttering in my stomach emerges as the thought of falling through the air hits me.

So this is how I die; alone and in pain.

I never get the chance to fall however as a bloody hand is reaching forward and clasping my hand, another clasping around my upper arm painfully making me cry out as I'm being lifted up and over the edge by someone.

They grunt as they lift me up, once I'm lying over the edge they scuttle backwards as the concrete cracks loudly and pulls me over them just as the platform finally gives out and crumbles before us.

I groan in pain while whoever it was brings a hand to my back and rubs soothing circles in assurance. I go to get up but my limbs finally give out and I collapse on my saviour, the world turning dark as I knock out like a light.

I wake up in a tent.

Groaning quietly in my sleep as I shift on the mattress. I slowly blink away the sleep from my eyes. Expecting sunshine to be pouring in through the window of my room but when the sudden realisation of not being safe in my room, I'm bolting upright in panic-

"Woah-"

I jump at a hand on my shoulder and look at Bow with blinking confusion before memories begin to replay themselves in my mind and I can't help stumbling out of the makeshift bed and to the side, wrenching the contents of my stomach.

"It's alright Key." My brother's hand is on my shoulder as he rubs gently. When I'm finished throwing up, my hands bury in my face as I hiccup and sob.

I can hear him sniffle from behind me before he's sinking down to his knees and hugging my side, his head resting on my shoulder as he too hiccups in sorrow.

"I'm so sorry Keylin. I'm so sorry." He cries into my shoulder and I bring my hands away from my face as I bite my trembling lip.

"You're safe now, that's all that matters."

"W-Where.." I clear my scratchy throat and Bow rubs my shoulder assuringly.

"We're in a military base camp." He says quietly. "They set it up on platform 2 before...before blowing 1."

My eyes widen as I bring my (now noticing) un-bandaged hand to my mouth, tears again falling from my eyes before I take a shaky breath, removing my hand and nodding.

"The refugees are all here and so are the people we managed to rescue from platform 1." He says trying to lighten my mood but I don't react and nod silently.

"Max and his brothers..they're here too."

My eyes narrow at this and I turn to him.

"Are you out of your mind?" I question lowly. "Do you not realise how dangerous that is keeping them here?"

Bow bites his lip and frowns at me before nodding and opening his mouth to speak.

"Vixen has them contained, they can't get out." He explains and the thought of the witch makes my blood run cold.

"Leave him."

"Key?" Bow questions and I run my hand through my hair shakily.

"They're...they're going to be burnt at the stake tonight. The Gods want you to be there."

It was the darkest night I had ever seen in the Sky Lanes, one of the coldest too as I walked out of the tent, Bow right behind me as I look out at what seemed to be thousands of tents in lines stretching for miles on end. I blinked in shock before lifting my hood up and walking forward.

My nose was bruised, going as far as to bruise under my eyes along with bruises on my chin and down my neck, a busted lip and a large cut on my forehead. Not including the broken wrist that hung in a cast or the sprained rib that was causing the difficult breathing.

The doctor checked everything but he failed to notice the most broken bodily organ. My heart.

I was angry and sad. No in between. I should be happy that thousands were saved when yesterday they wanted to blow platform 1 to smithereens with everyone on it. I didn't feel joy right now. How could I? I wanted nothing more than to be alone. I didn't feel anything but anger and grief.

I curled in on myself as a mother and son came into view and walked by them briskly. Bow frowned at this and jogs catching up with me, placing a gentle hand on my back.

I flinched and shoved his hand off making him frown about to say something to me but stops and shuts his mouth. I look down and bury my free hand in my coat pocket as we walked to where the commotion was coming from.

We walked in silence towards the light of bonfires. Making our way through people to the centre where speaking could be heard.

I looked up and saw the three Gods, standing before the large bonfire with Max and his two brother's strung up behind them tied to crosses.

"Anya's over there." Bow says into my shoulder and I turn to see him looking to my right at Anya, her red hair blazing in the night.

I follow Bow over to Anya and I watch her glance around, spotting Bow and a small smile merges on her face when she sees him. Her gaze lands on me and her face falls, probably at how beat up my face looked.

To my surprise however instead of greeting Bow, she runs the small distance to me and wraps her hands around me in a comforting hug. I bite my lip as I wrap my hands loosely around her but I just didn't feel up to it. I didn't really feel up for doing anything.

"Keylin." She sniffles before pulling back and looking up at me with glassy eyes. She brings a hand up to my cheek and I wince slightly as she gasps.

"You're freezing."

She doesn't pull back however and I eventually sink into her warm hand. Red rimmed eyes looking down at her. She bites her lip to keep from crying but her eyes give her away.

"I'm so glad you're alive."

"You too." I say with a tug of my lips and she sighs at that, glad she finally got me to talk perhaps, now she knew I wasn't completely broken.

I take a breath when she pulls away and turns to Bow, he takes her in his arms as he kisses her head with worry and I bite my lip and look away.

We watch the ceremony as they so called it which in turn resulted in each of the Gods making a small speech about the terror the brothers had caused and the destruction.

They mentioned me. Saying how if it wasn't for my idea about bringing the fight to platform 1 that many would have perished. Max laughs at this and my eyes cut to him.

"Of course, your hero!" He screams in astonishment as if he almost forgot. I look at his sweaty appearance as he laughs to himself. He looked crazy. He was crazy. He was finally showing his true colours in the night, for everyone to see. This was the real Max Sarcovnia.

"Where is he?" Max questions looking out at the sea of people. "Too much of a coward to show up to the party?"

I go to step forward but Bow's hand holds my arm. I don't react as Bow does this but stop either way as Max chuckles.

"It is his choice whether to show up to your death or not, unfortunately for you, you don't have that choice."

Derik announces loudly making Max roll his eyes as he lets his head fall back against the wooden stake.

"Now quiet please and we will begin the ceremony." Victoria says to the murmuring crowd and turns to speak to someone I couldn't see through the crowd. I stood on my toes but immediately sink down afterwards when I spot jet black hair and knew exactly who it was.

Max laughs at the glowing purple fire Vixen formed in her hand.

"You think that will kill us? You can't kill Gods dear. We are everywhere, in the shadows and in your nightmares."

"Well it's a good thing you're not Gods then." Vixen hums before sending three balls of fire into the bottom of each of the brother's stairs where the fire began to crackle and come to life at their feet. Max scoffs and is about to speak when Vixen remembers something.

"Oh I almost forgot, we made sure to collect a piece of your blood from when we captured you."

Max stills at her words, about to interject when someone hands her a clothed item. She throws the cloth on the first brother's fire and he screams before combusting in ash. She does the same to the second before arriving at Max's feet, taking the cloth from someone and unwrapping it this time to reveal a small dagger inside.

My heart constricts at the sight of the dagger Malakei gave me and for a moment I fear she would throw it into the fire but she only wipes the blood from it and looks up at Max with finality.

"Goodbye Max."

"Fucking bitch." He sneers at her. She throws the cloth at his feet and he screams in agony.

I look down as some cheer at his screams of agony but a familiar scream makes me pale and look up.

My eyes teared up as I saw a sweaty Malakei screaming and withering in pain.

"Keylin! Help me please! I'm dying Keylin." He sobs and my lip trembles as I watch him combust before everyone is cheering at the loss.

I knew he was tricking me yet that trick seemed to be the deciding factor for me. My face turned hard, emotions guarded.

I wipe my eyes and turn around, heading back to the tents ignoring the calls from Bow and Anya.

I find myself trying to jog back the last small distance but wince at the pain in my ribs and let out a cough. Gritting my teeth as I pull back the curtain only to startle at the sight of someone in Bow and I's tent.

My father looks up from where he sits on my bed and immediately gets up as my eyes begin to storm and lip starts to tremble again. I don't hesitate in walking forward and burying my head in his chest as he brings his arms around me careful of hurting me.

"Let it out Keylin." He says softly, his hand coming up to my hair. "I'm here now, it's alright. It's alright to cry."

"I-I can't do t-this anym-more." I hiccup into his chest and my father shushes me.

"I know son, I'm sick of it all too." He says down to me and I look up at him to see him smiling reassuringly down at me. My eyes fill with pain as my nose becomes wet.

"I need to g-go. I can't s-stay here." I cry painfully and he nods massaging my head before kissing my forehead.

"We leave in three da-"

"No." I can't help but sob and let my head fall against his chest. My father shushes me but I'm hysteric.

"If I-I stay here a-another day I-I might just g-go insane! Please f-father, please. I-I c-can't anymore. I can't." I say as he brushes the matted hair from my forehead before pushing it back around my ear. I look up at him brokenly.

"I've lost so much." I cry as my tears clog my vision.

My father suddenly shakes my head making me look up at him in confusion. He frowns down at me but moves closer in determination.

"You still have your family Keylin. Me, your friends and your countless Dry Lander brothers and sisters. We are all here with you. We grieve with you. Don't you dare think you are alone, you are never alone as long as you have people around you that love and care for you." He brings my head closer as his eyes bore into mine with hurt and sadness.

"Don't you dare become blind to that and get lost Keylin. Do you hear me?"

"Yes." I whisper.

"Say it son."

"I won't become blind and get lost." I say, my voice a bit stronger but still weak from crying. My father looks down at me with contemplation and soon enough, Bow makes his way into the tent and freezes at the sight. My father turns to him with a smile before concealing it and pulling away from me and heading towards the exit of the tent.

"Bow, change of plans. We're leaving tonight."

He says making Bow's eyes widen before nodding hesitantly. Father looks back at me with a small tug of the lips before exiting into the cold night air.

Leaving was easier said than done.

It took a rather long time to get the Dry Landers together and inform them that we were making the long journey back tonight.

An even longer time to explain this to the Gods.

Anya was crying. Not wanting us to go but knew that it was probably for the best. Bow didn't want to leave, I knew by looking at him that he didn't want to leave her, especially with only a month to go until she would go into labour.

The decision whether Bow stayed or left was made a long time ago to my surprise. They agreed on what was to happen.

Bow would return home for the remainder of Anya's pregnancy in order to get things in order for when he would take over the camp. Anya would spend her time in the Sky Lanes before leaving home and coming to live out her life with Bow in the Dry Lands.

I thought this was the same girl who didn't want Dry Landers shaking her hand, it's rather funny how life turns out for some.

Anya smiled a watery smile as she brought her arms carefully around my back to hug me. Letting out a sniffle before chuckling.

"Next time we see each other I won't be pregnant." She says through a watery smile.

I quirk my lips at that as I rest my chin on her shoulder, her scent of mint leaves and fire invading my senses.

"Boy or girl?" I question quietly and she pulls back to look at me.

"It's a surprise." She smiles and I can see she was crying as she stares up at me, bringing her hand up to rest against my cheek.

"I can't wait for you to meet them." She says, her words sounding like a promise as she looks at me for what seems like confirmation, that I would live to see her child.

"Have you decided on a name?" I question quietly, swallowing and looking down at her intense gaze. Her hand burning on my cheek.

"Not yet." She speaks with a smile and rubs her thumb over a small bruise delicately.

"I'm sure it'll come to me." She gives me a reassuring smile before removing her hand from my cheek and tilting up to kiss the area where the bruise was, moving away after a moment with glassy eyes and a put together smile.

"I'll see you soon. Please for the love of Gods promise me that you will stay out of trouble?"

I smile at that, the muscles in my cheeks burning at the simple action making tears spring to my eyes.

"Okay."

When everyone was gathered, my father made his speech and thanked the Gods on my behalf and for sheltering the Dry Landers. They were sad to see us go but the thing that surprised me most was Derik and my father shaking hands along with Victoria smiling and bringing my father in for a hug.

"Come back soon won't you?" She questioned him and he chuckles, eyes crinkling at his side before nodding and falling back to guide his men.

This was strange to witness. I knew my father would never travel the distance back just to visit. It would never be allowed. Yet, Bow and Anya, what they have is no different to my parents and everyone is so accepting...it makes no sense to me and makes me fear for the child's life. How unfortunate for that baby to turn out like me.

Maybe this was what Jason was talking about. A new Gonora. Where people could live in harmony together united instead of apart. The thought made the world seem a little less dark.

We begin to fall out, refugees and soldiers waving us and wishing us safe travel back to the Dry Lands. I watch the feet before me as they walked and I listen to chatter around me, zeroing out from the world.

Until a panther's roar could be heard a small distance away making me gasp and look up at the sound. I can barely see her in the darkness but I can hear her paws drumming against the ground and coming closer to me. I get to my knees just as she tackles me and I fall back to the ground with a soft grunt. She doesn't hesitate in attacking me with kisses and licks.

"How did you find me?" I whisper through the lump in my throat before swallowing and looking down at glowing green feline eyes. She purrs and I can feel her tail flick at my side.

'Baja followed Trainer's crying soul.' She states before mewling and licking at my forehead.

'Baja heal Trainer spiritually, will do what she must to heal Trainer.'

I purse my lips at that and bury my face in her fur as she growls low in her throat in warning at Dry Landers passing by. It reminded me of how we were when I first met Baja only now it made more sense. She was protecting me, like she always did. The only difference now is I wasn't sure if she was protecting me from the world or protecting me from myself.

"Home." My voice cracks as I bring a hand up to wipe furiously at my eyes. "Let's go home Baja."

The journey was long and dangerous but we knew that of course. There was no other way home. I can understand why my father and his hunters took so long in getting to the Sky Lanes in the first place. Bow had even mentioned that they lost several hunters to the icy conditions the High Peaks had caused. It made me shed a new light on my thoughts, hating myself even more at the memories of screaming at Raen for being too late to save us. I didn't know they lost people. I didn't know they went without food, skipping out on hunting so that they could get to the Sky Lanes quicker.

The trek through the snowy mountains was just as painful as I imagined the first time riding through it only this time I so desperately welcomed the pain. It was only when a large coat was placed on my shoulders that I took notice of my shivering and looked behind me, disappointment filling my eyes as I see a worried Bow frowning at me before patting my back and offering me a small smile as he got back up on his horse. He offered a hand down to me to ride with him and I shake my head.

"Keylin." He voice's in frustrated worry. "Please. You've been walking since we left. Give yourself a break."

With a sigh I move forward and climb up the horse, gritting my teeth in anger when my foot slips and I bang my forehead against the saddle. Bow holds a hand out to help me up and I grip it with my good hand in frustration as I try again to pull myself up but I was even too weak to do just that.

"Hey it's ok." Bow assures me with a sad smile as he hops off and helps me onto the horse. I hang my head in shame and say nothing as Bow makes his way up, taking hold of the stirrups and glancing back at me with a raised brow.

"Seriously Keylin. It's fine, don't beat yourself up about it."

"Ok." I say before bringing my arm around Bow to try and hold onto him as the horse begins its canter to catch up with the line of hunters. After a while I let my chin fall on Bow's shoulder as I look up at the foggy sky above me, memories starting to rush through my mind making me let out a shaky breath and take my chin from Bow's shoulder. Bow picks up on this and glances over his shoulder at me.

"You alright back there?"

"I...just feel a bit sick."

Bow frowns at this and tries to turn around to take a look at me.

"How's your wrist?" He questions. "The medication must be wearing off by now. We'll stop soon and I'll help you ok?"

I look down between us at my broken wrist nestled comfortably in its bandaged cast along with a sling looping around my shoulder to hold it in place. I experimentally try to wiggle my fingers but result in my index and middle finger jolting up in spasm and I grit my teeth at the pain, not biting back the whimper in time making Bow freeze.

"Don't try and move it Key." He scolds me lightly before sighing. "It's broken in several places and will take some time to heal. It'll heal quicker if you don't move it."

"C-Can I have something for the pain?" I question as I shift on the saddle. Wincing when my cast hits off Bow's back.

"Sure." He sighs. "Can you wait a few minutes? I promise we can stop and eat too."

"Y-Yeah." I say resting my forehead between his shoulders with a sigh and letting my eyes close, feeling a headache coming on. It was a few moments of silence between us with nothing but the footsteps of hunters and the hooves from the horse's clapping against the snow when Bow cleared his throat.

"When we heard what happened..I couldn't...The only thing going through my mind was 'I don't have a brother anymore."'

I lift my head at that through hooded lids as I listen to Bow chuckle to himself.

"I've lived for so long without one you'd think it wouldn't hurt so much having someone crash into your life and be torn straight from it without so much as a goodbye, I'd get over it in time right?" He questions and I watch him silently from the side as he speaks what has been plaguing him all this time.

"I cried like a bitch." He chuckles and I quirk my lips at that, tilting my head to the side at him.

"I cried because, even though I've only known you for a short time Keylin; you're family. You're still my little brother that I swore to protect. I felt like I failed you."

"No." I state seriously. "Don't think like that."

"I'm sorry." He smiles a sad smile back at me before looking down at his hands holding the stirrups.

"I guess I don't know what way to think anymore. I...so many people have died and I. I just keep thinking that you're slipping away from us and I can't.."

"Hey.." I call quietly and he looks back at me, only then I notice the glassy look in his eye and I sigh.

"I'm not going to slip away. I'm not getting lost remember? What I face...it's for me to deal with, I don't want it to be yours too."

He nods at that and brings a hand up to wipe his eyes and I smile sadly at that.

"Besides, you should be thinking about other things, like how you're going to be a father."

He rolls his eyes at that but I could see him start to lighten at the change of subject.

I take his mind off of it until we stop for food and medicine. Bow helps me down from the horse and gets two bowls of bone broth for us. After I've taken a few spoonfuls, he gives me the painkillers and I swallow them quickly, impatiently waiting for them to start kicking in and I could feel drowsy again.

"Here." Bow says handing something to me and I look down at the object in his hands. Face falling and lip trembling as I look at the bloody dagger in his hand. The one Malakei gave to me years ago.

I knew Vixen was the last one to have it so she must have given it to Bow knowing he'd give it back to me. The thought makes me bite my lip as I take the dagger from Bow with a nod and he smiles sadly.

It's not until we get packed up again and back on the horses that I start to feel the affects Of the medication and my eyes begin to drop.

Bow chuckles from above me and I open my eyes to my face buried in his neck. I quickly go to lift away from Bow and apologise but he speaks.

"Rest Key, you need it."

He didn't have to tell me twice, I was back to making myself comfy and searching for warmth amidst the cold temperatures before falling into a deep sleep.

"Help!" I call out over the edge. "S-Somebody, ...Help!"

"Keylin-"

"D-Don't worry, we're going to be f-fine Raen. I-agh. Just hold on-"

"Keylin-"

"Just hold on okay? H-help!" I yelp as my hand starts to slip and become sweaty. Raen adjusts his grip on my sweaty hand also.

"Keylin...look at me baby." I open my eyes and look down at him blinking, head feeling dizzy as I try to shake off the feeling of sleep.

When I meet his tearful gaze he frowns up at me looking into his eyes before taking a breath.

"Why would you kill me?"

"I-" My eyes widen as tears spring to my eyes. Raen looks up at me with disappointment.

"You could've saved me, you could've saved us."

"I-I'm sorry." I sob as I clutch his hand tighter, the pain in my hand too much as it begins to slide along the concrete, I scream in pain as I cling to whatever chance of surviving we had. My blood coating the edge of the platform and I gulp.

"No." Raen growls and I look down at him only what I saw wasn't the Raen I knew, it was Raen but in murk form. Eyes yellow and hungry, his purple tongue darting out as he spoke, black spots contrasting against his pale complexion and I wanted to scream.

He brings his other hand up and digs his nails into my arm causing me to scream in pain as he punctures the skin with his claws.

"If I die, I'm taking you with me!"

With that, my wrist snaps and I scream as I fall.

I jolt awake in a sweaty and panting mess. Looking around me in the dark with only the light of the moon illuminating and shining through the tent and falling onto the end of the bed that I was currently wrapped up in.

I run a shaky hand through my hair and lay back on the makeshift bed as I try to steady my racing heart and expel the nightmare from my thoughts. Only the more I tried to do so, the more I began to think about that day and about Raen. I couldn't help the tears coming to my eyes and rolling down my cheeks as I tried to hold in my cries.

I shut my eyes and rolled to the side, using my free hand to grab the pillow and bring it closer as I bury my face in it and scream.

I scream, yell, cry for what felt like hours. I punched the pillow and kicked at the blankets until I was all cried out, throat raw and eyes burning.

I lay there staring up at the tent ceiling in pain and completely spent as I think of the people I've lost.

My friends. Anya and Bow were the only ones left. That means Tara and Mila were most likely dead.

Raen was....M-Mal.

"Why?" I whimper to the ceiling before anger overcomes me.

"Why take them from me? They..they were all I had!" I scream at the ceiling, knowing that I was going crazy and there was no one there, no one listening to me. No one could hear my pain only me and the tears clog my vision once again.

"They were all I had." I whisper before bringing my hand up to run over my face. Stopping and swallowing before looking up at the ceiling again.

"Stop being a fucking pussy and do what you have to do. Just kill me already. Stop m-missing." I state before biting my lip and rolling onto my side, yelping when I accidentally put too much pressure on my broken wrist.

"Put an end to this nightmare, I beg of you."

**

😭

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

2K 115 16
We pick up book 3 the same night of Art and Fiats wedding. After their perfect vacation it's sobering to return home back to the things they felt the...
731K 42.2K 128
[mlm] The lonely Elf had waited many years to meet his bonded mate, but reality was harsher than he would have liked when he finds out his mate is no...
1.5M 69.7K 65
Why the Straight One? Or, my struggle with being gay and married to a totally straight prince. Yeah, you guessed it. This is about an arranged marr...
561K 27.1K 34
(COMPLETED Book 1 of The Sector Series) Keylin is a young elf trying to get by in life. Looked down upon because of his looks, he is known as 'snake'...