Special Someones

By mrbunnyban

Xue Ge, delinquent transfer student, just wanted to score the most beautiful girl in class. Because, well, he... More

Epigraph
Chapter 1 Migration
Chapter 2 Weird
Chapter 3 Beethoven's Fifth
Chapter 4 Pathfinding
Chapter 5 Appetizers
Chapter 6 Delta
Chapter 7 Musical Chairs
Chapter 8 Excessive
Chapter 9 False leads
Chapter 10 Spinner
Chapter 11 Open Season
Chapter 12 Heart to heart
Chapter 13 Nuclear
Chapter 14 Suspicion
Chapter 15 Evidence
Chapter 16 Dilemma
Chapter 17 D-Day
Chapter 18 Hunted
Chapter 19 Escape
Chapter 20 Respite
Chapter 21 Sanctuaries
Chapter 22 Glimmers
Chapter 23 Cramped
Chapter 24 Tumult
Chapter 25 Pact
Chapter 26 Rally
Chapter 27 Flight
Chapter 28 Negotiations
Chapter 30 Assertion
Chapter 31 Epilogue
About Matthias
.

Chapter 29 Resolve

29 4 10
By mrbunnyban

S̶u̶m̶m̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶a̶m̶p̶,̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶ ̶2̶1̶  Vacation, day 21

Matthias answered his phone while the other kids and Fatimah waited together. They had shifted to the hotel yesterday for safety reasons since the shelter was compromised. Each of them had separate rooms, but right now they were in a private lounge.

"alright. thank you Zeke. i'll see you later." Matt ended the call and turned to the rest.

"How?" Xue Ge asked.

Matt gave a thumbs up. "mission accomplished."

The kids cheered in unison.

"I don't get it, but congratulations," Fatimah said.

"Thank you, Fatimah. This was really crucial. We have real chance now," Bolin said,

"I still don't really get it either honestly," Chee Yok said.

"Whatever it is, it's clearly big enough cause to celebrate," Jennifer said.

Xue Ge grinned from ear to ear. "Good! I got idea."

#

5-star hotel quality Japanese food was a real treat after so many days of the meagre portions at the shelter. The kids laughed and chatted with Fatimah and ate greedily. Zeke, their host, had plenty of embarrassing stories of Matt's childhood to tell the kids, much to Matt's chagrin. But he didn't mind so much when he realised his friends, especially Xue Ge, were enjoying hearing the lighter side of his past. Happier times.

As it got later, Zeke and Fatimah turned in. Xue Ge, Bolin and Chee Yok split off from Matt and Jenn to go to a karaoke lounge. Matt and Jenn continued to have desserts at the restaurant.

Matthias was having chocolate ice-cream. "i wonder why they wanted some time without us."

Jenn was having dorayaki. "They had something to talk about. You said you wanted to talk about something as well?"

Matt nodded, but took his time to breach the subject. "this solution of Xue Ge's. nothing but friends. don't you feel unsatisfied with it."

"It's the best solution under the circumstances."

"would the three of us really split up if he chooses one or the other."

"Well. We already know I couldn't take it. Losing both of you was too much for me."

"but you won't actually lose us."

"Not as friends. But I'm human Matt. I want to be loved too."

"i don't really understand but i'll take your word for it."

Jenn continued eating, then swallowed. "What about you? You didn't seem too great when you thought Xue Ge had succeeded in wooing me either."

"i thought i'd be fine. i still don't understand my feelings back then."

"Well, what went through your mind?"

"i thought if i were a woman like you maybe i'd have a chance. i wouldn't lose to you. i couldn't get that thought out of my head. it felt horrible."

"That's jealousy, Matt," Jenn explained. Her eyes were gentle.

"a bloody useless emotion is what it is. i hate it. i want to reject it."

"Don't say that, Matt," Jenn said gently, "Don't try to dehumanise yourself. Just deal with your emotions naturally."

"what would this natural manner of dealing with such pain be."

Jenn shrugged. "Take some time alone, maybe. Don't see us for a while. That's what I would do if it were me who lost out."

"would the loser get over it eventually and come back."

"Yes. Probably. Maybe. Hopefully."

"somehow that's not very convincing to me. i'm not sure if Xue Ge would be either."

"Xue Ge isn't willing to risk it. He values our friendship a lot more than he values dating us," Jenn explained.

"i understand that sentiment. after all we've been through it's heart-breaking to think we'd let this get in the way of our friendship," Matt said.

"I know. But I don't trust myself either. So how can he?"

"so by staying friends we continue to love each but just never act on it."

"It seems like this is the only way then."

Matthias kept silent and ate dessert.

Jenn continued, "This is the point where you're supposed to say 'Yes, you're right Jenn. You're always right Jenn'."

Matthias still kept silent and ate dessert.

"...Stop it."

"i haven't said anything," Matt said.

"I know what you're thinking. The answer is no. Out of the question."

#

Karaoke rooms are never classy. Even at 5-star hotels. Décor, motif and lighting are always chosen to be as garish as possible.

So naturally, the boys loved it. They butchered their favourite songs in Mandarin with much enthusiasm.

Xue Ge took a break to talk about something on his mind. "Guys. Thanks for helping the three of us thus far."

"Well, to be honest we're not doing it for you," Chee Yok admitted.

"What he said."

Xue Ge smiled. "Still. I'm thankful for all the help. I really am."

"Just how thankful are you?" Bolin asked jokingly.

Chee Yok wasn't smiling. "Bolin, don't push it. We both know how he feels about them."

"Hey, I'm just kidding. Give me some credit."

Xue Ge looked away. "Actually, that was what I was thinking about. I was kidding about you two not being allowed to woo Matt and Jennifer."

Chee Yok and Bolin looked at Xue Ge with scepticism. "Really? You wouldn't mind?"

Xue Ge sighed. "Admittedly, I would mind. But once this is over, I'm still going to encourage them both to date you two."

To say Chee Yok and Bolin were shocked would be an understatement. "That doesn't make sense at all."

"Why would you do that?" Bolin asked.

"Right now they're waiting for the other to give up first and date one of you instead, "Xue Ge explained, "But neither will give in. And the thing I'm afraid of most is the friendship will be strained."

"You're telling us to take them both from you, so you can keep them both as friends," Bolin asked.

Xue Ge nodded slowly.

"There is no way they're going to go for that," Chee Yok said.

Xue Ge took another big swig. "I won't give them a choice."

"You can't be serious," Chee Yok said.

"Won't you be heartbroken to lose them both like that?" Bolin asked.

Xue Ge stared at the floor. "I'd be more heartbroken if I came between those two. They had been best friends for years."

"How about between me and Bolin, when the first one of us who succeeds, the other backs down and leaves you the other?"

"That's usually how it goes. In movies, at least."

Xue Ge shook his head. "I can't date the one who is left after that. The one who left for one of you will feel like he/she just lost. And the friendship will be strained again."

"Really?" Bolin asked sceptically.

"No, he's right," Chee Yok said, "They're both like that."

"The only way is to tell them both I absolutely will not date either. No matter what. So they should both give up. Date you two instead," Xue Ge said.

"Okay, now I feel bad for you," Chee Yok said.

"You're my childhood friend. I can't let you go through that," Bolin said.

"It's the only way. It's what's best for me, believe it or not. So please. Love them... for me." Xue Ge started to cry, and the two boys quietly consoled him.

#

Vacation, day 24

Hotel function room.

Journalists gathered around for a press conference called by the crazy rich foreigner. They were abuzz with rumours. Did he fly his son away to safety? Or has he turned his son in? Did he negotiate a deal with the politicians?

Ezekiel Williams, billionaire oil tycoon, finally made an appearance. He was wearing a snazzy new suit. He stood in front of the microphones and introduced himself and thanked the journalists for coming. "As you know, I've been a terrible father. And most of all, I've been a terrible husband. I may never truly redeem myself, but it won't stop me from spending every day of my life trying to make up for it."

He paused a moment. For dramatic effect, of course. "But what I say isn't important. There's someone else here who'd like to speak to you all."

He stood away from the microphones, and someone else stepped across the stage.

High heels clicked across the podium.

The journalists whispered to each other:

"It's Puan Afeen! She's here with her ex-husband!"

"Didn't he abuse her? Why is she here?"

"Is she going to plead for her son to come home?"

Puan Afeen barely glanced at her ex-husband as she stood in front of the mikes. She introduced herself and greeted everyone else cordially. "As you may have guessed, I'm here to talk to you about my son."

She continued, "I'm no saint. I'm just a simple Muslim woman. Matthias has told me that he's always admired my faith and the strength it gives me. He even told me he would like to be able to experience that for himself one day. Yes, it's true. He wanted to be a Muslim."

"But please understand. My son is a man of very strict principles. Not because he's some sort of angel, but because it's his nature. He cannot lie, or rather he will not lie. He's terrible at telling lies because of autism. But instead of trying to learn to tell lies, he decided to take pride in always telling the truth. It's a part of him he will not compromise on."

A break. "No one can believe in Allah from fear of men. It's impossible. Anybody who claims to fear Allah when threatened by a man is lying to others, and maybe to themselves."

"But it goes deeper than not being able to lie about his beliefs. Matthias wanted a faith that was genuine. He felt that his faith would be cheapened if he believed only because someone demanded it."

"He wanted it to be real. Not some fake... some fake..."

She broke down. "I regret ever bringing my son back here! He'd have grown into a wonderful Muslim man if only they hadn't tried to force it on him!"

The crowd reeled back in shock.

"You've all ruined my son! You stupid pigs!"

Zeke stepped forward, tried to console her. "I'm so sorry."

"You useless, rotten husband! You did this to us!"

"I'm sorry," Zeke said softly.

"Give me back my Muslim son!"

"He's safe with me. I'll keep him safe here. He's just in the hotel room," Zeke assured her.

#

Later,

Xue Ge watched the press conference again from Matt's laptop. I can see why Matt says his mum is cheating when she gets to work. "How did Zeke convince your mum?"

The five kids were in Matt's room, sitting on and around the bed. Even the carpeting felt more comfortable than the bed back at the sanctuary.

"he didn't really have to. he just delivered a letter for me," Matthias responded.

"What did it say?" Jennifer asked.

"i don't want to run away. help me fight."

Xue Ge frowned, not comprehending. "That's it?"

"that's it."

Jenn took a moment then nodded. "...Ah. I get it. No wonder."

Chee Yok nodded. "Savage."

Bolin nodded. "I see. Clever."

Xue Ge looked at all his nodding friends. "How come ah?"

Jenn shook her head. "I don't want to explain this one. Figure it out."

"I still don't get what we were trying to accomplish though. How exactly does this help us?" Chee Yok asked.

"Well, winning Matt's mum over is a really big deal. Even my parents offered to help now, though it's kind of late. What about yours, Xue Ge?" Jenn said.

Xue Ge shook his head. "Don't expect anything good from mine. But is that it? The law is still the same!"

"I actually don't understand either," Jenn admitted.

"it's not just the law we were fighting," Matt explained, "public sentiment was against us. is that correct Bolin."

"Correct. If people don't support, how also cannot fight law. Now only got chance."

"Okay, I get that now. We needed the support of the public," Chee Yok said, "But there's something else that bothers me."

He took the laptop from Xue Ge and skipped to a section of the video.

Zeke was speaking. "...with me. I'll keep him safe here. He's just in the hotel room."

"What the hell was Zeke thinking by telling them that?"

#

That night,

Men from the Islamic council knocked on the hotel room door. A policeman was with them, as was a hotel manager.

"Open up! We're here from the Islamic council!" the lead council rep shouted.

No response. The men nodded to the manager, who pressed a key card to the door. It 'zeep'-ed open to reveal a Malay man and woman on a bed together.

"Oh no! Dear, we've been caught!" The woman said.

"Never fear! I have the solution," the man said. Turned to the council reps, "We are married."

The council men were a little confused. They were here for an apostate in hiding, not a khalwat raid. But they did not neglect their duty. "A likely story! We're bringing you to the council centre for suspected 'khalwat'."

The man groaned. "Oh, but if you insist!"

The Malay woman dramatically held the man and looked as if she were about to faint. "Dear, this is such a terrible misunderstanding!"

"I'm sure we can clear it all up later at the council centre," The man reassured the woman.

The men from the council did not forget their original purpose. "Hold on. We need to search the room for the boy."

But they found no one else. And so they left for the council centre.

#

Later

The men from the council had left the couple at the processing centre, and had come back to check other rooms booked by Ezekiel Williams.

"Open the door! We're the Islamic council!" the lead council rep commanded.

Hearing no response, the manager pressed a key card to the door.

'Zeeep.'

Another Malay couple was in the room.

"Oh no! Dear, we've been caught!" the woman said.

"Never fear! I have the solution. We are married," the man said.

The uninvited visitors were feeling quite a bit confused.

#

Later, again...

"Open up. We're hear from the Islamic council."

'Zeeep.'

"Oh no! Dear, we've been caught!"

"Never fear! I have the solution. We are married."

As one, the men from the council sighed. "Okay, we believe you. Sorry for troubling you."

But the Malay man held the door open as they tried to shut it. "Wait! Are you *sure* we're married? Don't you need to check if we're *really* married or not?"

"No, it's okay. Have a happy honeymoon."

"Perhaps we could invite you to join us for some drinks for your trouble," the woman suggested, "You've been working so hard--"

"Good bye!"

And they slammed the door shut.

Then they checked a list, then moved to the very next room door.

"Open-up-we're-here-from-the-council," the lead council rep mumbled.

'Zeeep.'

"Oh no! Dear, we've been--"

The lead council rep closed the door immediately.

His colleagues looked at him questioningly. "Er, what are you doing?"

"Out of the 17 rooms we've been to so far, have any of the couples not actually been married?" the lead council rep asked.

His colleagues shook their heads.

"And how many more rooms are there?"

"Uh... 82 more."

The lead council rep felt ill inside. "I'm going home."

#

"I'm going home."

Xue Ge, Chee Yok and Zeke hollered and cheered, nearly dropping the mobile device they'd been looking at. Xue Ge pressed the replay button.

"I'm going home."

They broke into laughter once more.

"Did you see his face? Did. You. See. His. Face?" Zeke gushed.

"I cannot," Xue Ge giggled out, "I cannot take it, ha-ha-ha..."

Across them were Matthias, Jennifer and Bolin. They were all in the living room of a private residence Zeke had prepared. Bolin had a big grin on his face as he punched numbers in a calculator and wrote notes. Jennifer and Matthias were less enthusiastic.

Jennifer's eyebrow twitched even as she gave a polite smile. She whispered to Matt, "Are all the super-rich people like this?"

Matt didn't bother to whisper. "no. he's the only one. i hope."

Jenn thought, Who in their right mind even considers booking every room, much less filling every room with a married couple? Her fake smile was starting to crack. "Bolin, don't you have something to say about how so much money was wasted?"

But Bolin was too absorbed in his work.

"...Bolin?"

There was a certain gleam in Bolin's eyes as he wrote in the final figure. "Yes! Got enough for me, a husband, and can send 3 kids to college some more!"

Jennifer pulled Bolin's notes out of his hands. "Your emergency funds wasn't that much. Just how much did he compensate you?..."

Her eyes widen.

She glared at Zeke. "Uncle, are you insane?"

Zeke winked. "Don't worry, kid. It's all safely held in a Swiss bank account. Even his parents can't take it away from him."

Jenn pointed a finger accusingly at Zeke. "I mean no 16-year old should ever have that much money dumped on them! How irresponsible can you be?"

"Irresponsible? I just wanted to compensate the boy who so freely gave his important life savings to my son--"

"let me see," Matt demanded.

Jennifer passed the notes to Matt. He took one look, and passed it back. "Bolin you're giving it back."

"But, this money! I got no chance to smell also. I need it!" Bolin whimpered.

"No, you don't," Jenn told him, "You'll be spoiled rotten if you take that much. We'll work out a more reasonable compensation together."

"But..."

"if you're in trouble you can stay at my place," Matt said.

That convinced Bolin.

But now Xue Ge was leaning in. "I want see. Maybe can give me instead..."

"No," Matt & Jenn said together.

Zeke laughed heartily. "Come on kids, no need to be so serious. It's such a drop in the ocean and I feel like celebrating--"

"father. when are you going home," Matt interrupted.

"...Of course, a responsible parent like myself would never dream of doing something so extreme," Zeke changed his tune, "We'll work out another arrangement that is more reasonable."

Matt's phone rang. "excuse me. i should take this call."

He walked out of the room for some privacy then answered it. "hello mum. it's great to hear from you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 138K 26
At first glance, nobody would be able to tell that Nathaniel Jean had a problem. Or second glance, or third, or fourth. After all, he had every...
1.5K 102 25
When Samuel finds himself lost and incapable of facing his problems and the whole lot of insecurities he'd built up from childhood, he comes to reali...
43.3K 1.5K 34
In an all boys boarding school surrounded by football players 18 year olds Alex, Sam, Jason and Parker have two years left in school. Two years, to f...
195K 9.7K 84
The new, geeky kid in school gets partnered with a popular jock in biology. He believes that geeks and jocks can't be friends until this particular j...