Special Someones

By mrbunnyban

Xue Ge, delinquent transfer student, just wanted to score the most beautiful girl in class. Because, well, he... More

Epigraph
Chapter 1 Migration
Chapter 2 Weird
Chapter 3 Beethoven's Fifth
Chapter 4 Pathfinding
Chapter 5 Appetizers
Chapter 6 Delta
Chapter 7 Musical Chairs
Chapter 8 Excessive
Chapter 9 False leads
Chapter 10 Spinner
Chapter 11 Open Season
Chapter 12 Heart to heart
Chapter 13 Nuclear
Chapter 14 Suspicion
Chapter 15 Evidence
Chapter 16 Dilemma
Chapter 17 D-Day
Chapter 18 Hunted
Chapter 19 Escape
Chapter 20 Respite
Chapter 21 Sanctuaries
Chapter 22 Glimmers
Chapter 23 Cramped
Chapter 24 Tumult
Chapter 25 Pact
Chapter 26 Rally
Chapter 27 Flight
Chapter 29 Resolve
Chapter 30 Assertion
Chapter 31 Epilogue
About Matthias
.

Chapter 28 Negotiations

28 5 15
By mrbunnyban

            Zeke, Xue Ge and Jennifer sat in the limo, looking grimly at each other. The bikini girls were thankfully not present.

Zeke's arms were crossed. "My terms are reasonable. My son stays with me. His mother can follow if she so chooses."

"And the rights as Matt's legal guardian?" Jenn queried.

"He's staying with me. As his father, I obviously need to make decisions as his guardian," Zeke confirmed.

"Matt will never agree to your terms. Please reconsider," Jenn asked.

"I don't think I have set any conditions which are unreasonable."

"If you really care about him, you should respect his wishes," Jenn said.

"What about my wishes? He is my son. I want him back. That is my right as a father."

Jenn grit her teeth. "Fine. We'll tell him."

"And one more thing," Zeke said, "I won't speak to anyone other than my son from now on. He needs to ask me himself. It's about time he pays me the respect I am due."

"Who want respect you, stupid jerk?" Xue Ge spat out.

"I paid for his livelihood until he was 11. I am going to save him in his time of need. Clearly I deserve respect. But I don't need to explain myself to you. Get out or I'll have you brought out," Zeke threatened.

Xue Ge answered Zeke with a right hook.

Men in black immediately burst into the car, dragging him and Jennifer out.

"Don't touch her!" Xue Ge screamed, struggling against them.

"Mark my words. I WILL have my son." Zeke shouted back at the kids. He closed the door, then rubbed his sore cheek. "And my wife will follow."

#

Eventually, the convoy left. Before they did, a man in black left contact details. And a note, which said: "It's the only way. Accept it."

Jennifer tore up the note but kept the contact details. When she got back in the house, she could see suitcases lining up the hallways. The ladies were moving in and out, carrying various items and packing them up. Fatimah and the boys were watching them work.

"What's going on here?" Jenn asked.

"They're leaving," Fatimah said, "The bank transfer was done. But I can't stand the sight of them."

The ladies looked pretty miserable. Some were holding back tears as they packed up.

"you're being too harsh on them Fatimah. no normal person could have resisted that money," Matt said.

Fatimah huffed. "I did. I saw the offer too, you know. It was all over the internet. But I ignored it."

"But you're special, Fatimah. A true lady," Chee Yok said.

Fatimah smiled. "Always a charmer. But it's better this way. I have to abandon this shelter. And they can handle themselves now that they have money."

Matt looked at the ladies. "but they're so sad now."

"They should be," Fatimah said.

Xue Ge looked at Matt, patted him on the back. Then Xue Ge stood up and 'WOI!'-ed loudly to get everyone's attention.

To the ladies, he said, "Please. Exchange number. Visit us again."

Jenn smiled and pointed at Fatimah, "Especially this grumpy woman here. She'll want to know that you're all doing well."

Chee Yok smiled. "That's right. You better not forget any of us."

Bolin was NOT smiling. "But one condition: help someone else first. Otherwise don't come back."

Matt nodded. "then tell us about it. please."

The ladies had gathered around and gave the kids hugs, crying and exchanging numbers. They promised to make themselves available to anybody who needed help.

Even Fatimah allowed herself to be hugged. "Alright, fine. This is good too."

Matt was obviously pleased. "everyone deserves a second chance."

Jenn raised an eyebrow. "Even your father?"

Matthias didn't answer.

Jenn tried again. "Matt?"

"yes even my father," Matt said finally, "if he'd only take it instead of playing the jerk again."

#

It was time to go home for Jenn, Bolin and Chee Yok. Bolin sent Chee Yok back as usual. Matt saw them off, as well as Xue Ge and Jenn as they got on Xue Ge's motorbike.

Just as Xue Ge was about to start his bike, Jennifer held his shoulder and showed him the note. "Wait. Bring me to this address instead."

Xue Ge looked at the address. "What? Why ar?"

Matt looked at the address too. "the hotel. i should come too."

Jenn shook her head. "Just me and Xue Ge. I'm going to make this right."

"how--"

"I can do this. By tonight, I'll have your father redeem himself," Jenn promised.

As they rode to the hotel, Jennifer cursed herself silently. I said that so confidently, but it was only to convince them. I have no such faith in myself. I'm just acting out of desperation.

She slapped herself. No regrets. I need to focus on the task ahead. I'm going to talk down the world's biggest greatest spoilt brat.

When they arrived outside the hotel, Jennifer got down and stopped Xue Ge from doing the same. "I have to speak to him myself."

"Sure or not?"

Xue Ge is too brash to be of use here. "Please. I have to do this," Jenn said.

Xue Ge obeyed and wandered off.

A door man held the glass door open for Jenn as she walked in. The air was cool from tightly controlled air-conditioning, the floors and walls covered in large marble tiles. A live performance of traditional instruments was on-going, the music somehow adapted to the classy ambience of the hotel. Tourists who were obviously filthy rich lounged around. Jennifer even spotted a few sarong party girls.

Jennifer, a teenager in school uniform, was clearly out of place. She steeled herself to approach the reception. There, Jennifer asked to send a message to Ezekiel Williams, that Jennifer had come to see him.

"Anything else?" the reception asked.

Jennifer considered. "Tell him, I can help him convince his son."

#

They sat at a private lounge at the hotel.

Zeke was smiling. Confident. "I already said I won't speak to anyone but my son."

Jenn was also smiling. Faking confidence. "Yet here we are."

"Well, you gave an interesting proposal," Zeke conceded, "Smart young woman. I should employ you when you grow up."

"Let's focus on the issue at hand."

Zeke leaned in. "So how can you help me convince Matt?"

"By changing your mind," Jenn said as confidently as she could.

Zeke rolled his eyes. "And with that you've lost me. Good bye." To the bodyguards, "See her out."

Jenn pulled her arm away from a bodyguard. "You say you wanted a second chance? This is it right now. This is me giving it to you."

Zeke gestured for the men to stop a moment. "You? Can give it to me? Your arrogance is impressive."

"I can. Or you could not listen to me, and we all lose Matt forever."

Zeke smirked. "Fine, I'll bite. I'll give you 30 seconds."

Desperation drove Jenn's thoughts and words. "We both know he needs your help. But we both also know he won't accept it if you come at him with those stupid terms."

Zeke hmph-ed dismissively. "As if I had another choice. If I don't do this, I won't get him back. I won't get my wife back."

"Stop trying to get him or your wife back on your terms. Just focus on helping him."

"Really? How can you ask that of me? I'm his father. I love him."

"Then why are you trying to break his will like everyone else?"

Zeke frowned. "What?"

Jenn wasn't sure what she was saying, so she just let it out. "Everyone seems to want to force him to do something he can't manage. Matt, speak normally! Matt, smile wider! Matt, go for prayers! Matt, believe in Islam! Matt, love me! Matt, don't love me! I'm getting sick of doing that to him, of others doing it to him. I'm sure he is as--"

Zeke put up a hand. "Wait! Hold it! Just... back up a bit. What happened exactly? Describe each one to me."

"Each one?" Jenn saw a ray of hope. "You want to know, don't you? So much has happened in 3 years. New country, new school, puberty. I've been right beside him the whole way, helping him as his peer mentor."

A bodyguard cut in. "Sir, 30 seconds is over..."

"Shut up. It's over when I say it's over," Zeke told the bodyguard. To Jenn, "It appears that I may have misjudged you, young lady."

Jenn smiled, feeling a mix of confidence and relief. "Yes you have, old man. Are we going to keep posturing or can we finally be civil with each other?"

#

A restaurant. French, waiters dressed in vests and bow-ties. Classical music over the speakers. Wine glasses at every table.

Jennifer waved at Xue Ge at another table. He waved back, and looked through the menu for something to eat.

Jenn sipped on her orange juice. "Right, Xue Ge is nice and comfortable. So where were we?"

Zeke was having a light snack. Nachos. (Yes, nachos. In a french restaurant.) "You were telling me about my hypocritical ex-wife. How she tried to force Matt to believe something he doesn't."

"While that is true...," Jenn hesitated, "And I'm sorry to say this after we've gotten acquainted, but hear you're no better."

Zeke took it well. "Come on. Being able to talk and show facial expressions normally isn't exactly something anyone should do without. We're talking important communication skills here."

"Maybe. But you know, I think he already can do that now. Just doesn't cos of a mental block."

Zeke stopped eating. "What? What makes you think that?"

"Because he resented being forced before he was ready. And after his mum got hurt trying to protect him, he may even feel he *has* to keep talking like that to justify all the grief his mum endured."

Zeke took a while to consider this. "...You're saying that if I was just a little more patient after we gave him the skills, he may have started using them himself eventually?"

Jenn shrugged. "No way to know for sure. But a lot of people with Asperger's can speak normally. And Matt's very smart. He comprehends when others use different intonation and can even mimic how other people talk."

Zeke 'uh huh'-ed knowingly. "You love him, don't you?"

"I beg your pardon?"

"I'm not trying to antagonise you. Just look at how far you're going for him. I'd like to know because he's my son."

"I... did love him once," Jenn admitted, "But I'm happy enough being good friends now. Matt likes someone else."

Zeke's eyes looked to something past Jennifer. "I think that someone else is having trouble with his food."

Jennifer turned back to look at Xue Ge. True enough, he was struggling with escargot. "I can help him eat that. Is it okay if he orders something else?"

Zeke nodded and hailed a waiter. He instructed, "Please recommend something simpe for the poor boy. Maybe a beef bourguignon or sole meunière."

Jenn thanked Zeke. You're familiar with French cooking but you made them serve you nachos? ...Hold on. "How did you know Matt likes Xue Ge?"

Zeke smiled. "Give me some credit. Did you think Matt's smarts came from his mum?"

Rude. But. "Huh. I didn't think of that."

"That and my jaw still hurts," Zeke admitted.

They laughed.

"I bet you... you... huh." Zeke lost his train of thought. "My son is loved. My son is lovable. He loves someone. I... didn't think it was possible. As he is now."

"By the way, as he is now, he gets along just fine speaking the way he does. I and Xue Ge have even learned how to read his expressions," Jenn added.

Zeke smacked his own forehead. "Damn. Matt really wouldn't be impressed by the bikini girls, would he?"

In spite of herself, Jennifer laughed. "No. No, he wouldn't. Uh... I'm surprised you're so open-minded."

"I get that. Southerners aren't often so. But don't forget I married a Muslim. I'm not your typical conservative Southern cowboy."

"Huh. How did that even happen?"

"What can I say? She was a wonderful woman. Still is. I miss her dearly. As well as my son," Zeke said.

"You know, if you want to get along with him, you really need to do a better job of not making him despise you."

"Point taken. Do you have another suggestion?"

"Do I need to spell it out? Apologise," Jenn said.

Zeke laughed. Bitterly, this time. "I've been doing nothing but apologising."

"Do it again," Jenn said, "And just apologise. Nothing else. No demands. No devil's contracts. No excuses. Give up on being the man of the house. Being in charge."

Zeke frowned. "How can I be a father or a husband then?"

"You won't be either of those things. You'll just be a man who is there for the family he failed."

Zeke's eyes narrowed. "I'm sorry, I thought we were trying not to antagonise each other."

Jenn wasn't sure where this was coming from, but kept going. "Hear me out. For you; all the authority, respect and even love. It's gone now. But YOU can love and support them."

Zeke frowned some more. "You're asking me to give so much, but expect nothing in return."

Jenn smiled. "Isn't that the very definition of love?"

Zeke fell silent for a good, long moment. "...Wow. I walked right into that one."

"Yeah, you kind of did."

He sighed. "Fine. I'll think about it."

#

Summer camp, day 20

Only one black car from the convoy arrived at the gates the next day after school. Jennifer was already there, and she received a sealed envelope from them. She brought it in while the car waited.

Jenn passed the envelope to Matt, who was in the room with Xue Ge and the other two boys. "A letter from your father. For you."

Matt looked at the envelope a moment before accepting it. "i'd like some time alone please."

After they left for the living room, Matt slowly read the letter while hugging his teddy rabbit in bed.

#

When he came out of his room, Matt had an important announcement to make. "no conditions. so i've decided to accept his help."

Bolin sighed in relief. "Hěn hǎo. Can cross out money on checklist. He has a lot, correct?"

Jenn eyed Bolin suspiciously. "Checklist? What checklist?"

Bolin hesitated, but Matt explained, "it's not his money we want."

Xue Ge looked concerned. "You're not leaving, are you? Overseas."

Matt gave Xue Ge a kiss on the cheek. "no. but thanks for asking."

Xue Ge blushed.

Jennifer glared at Matt, then pulled Xue Ge in to kiss his cheek as well.

Xue Ge blushed some more.

Chee Yok and Bolin poked Xue Ge in the ribs and coughed.

"sorry couldn't resist," Matt said, "i meant to say i have a task for him which only he can do."

"What ah?" Xue Ge asked.

"well you see..."

#

All five kids greeted Zeke cordially as they got in the limousine.

Zeke was smiling. Warmly? Nervously. "Hello son. Xue Ge. Jennifer. Bolin and Chee Yok as well, I believe? It's nice to finally meet all of you together. Thank you for coming."

"Where are the bikini girls?" Chee Yok whispered to Xue Ge in Mandarin.

Xue Ge quietly shushed him.

"thanks for agreeing to support me unconditionally. it's going to be a deciding factor in our fight," Matt said.

"Fight?" Zeke laughed, "Matt, I don't want to fight you. I'm so glad to see you. I'm sorry for giving you so much grief earlier. Now I'm just here to help in any way I can."

"i was not talking about fighting you. i have an important task which only you can complete."

"Always straight to the point. Relax a little," Zeke said, "I haven't spoken to you in years. Why, I've even got some charming young men lined up..."

Jennifer gave him a little kick.

"I mean of course! My vast resources are at your disposal," Zeke said.

"your vast resources are irrelevant. listen closely." Then Matt explained.

Zeke balked. "...Wow. You sure don't ask for much."

"i wouldn't ask this of you if it were not critically important."

"I don't understand how it could be. The private jet is waiting for you. So how can this be relevant once you're in America?"

"i'm not going to run. running feels like losing. i'm going to fight."

Zeke couldn't hide his shock. "Matt, you can't be serious. Even I can't fight society. I can't even do this task you gave me."

"are you saying you won't do it."

"I'm saying I'm not sure if I can. This may be beyond my ability."

"you can do it. i'll be providing you a letter to support you."

Zeke sighed. "Alright. I'll wear my best suit."

I'm not explaining what this is.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 76 26
[Warning.May contain] Bad language (Doesn't really appear a lot) A boyxboy love story. This story goes about the life of a Filipino boy named Blake R...
319 28 7
Contrary to popular belief, hell really does exist on earth. More specifically, it exists in the American public high school system. If you aren't on...
22.6K 3.1K 89
To cover the traces of his depravity, Gu Xiao constricted himself to the role of a jester while being torn between the idealisation of others and rea...
1.9K 184 30
In this heartfelt and thought-provoking tale, we meet two individuals whose paths couldn't be more divergent. There's a young boy who harbors a deep...