The Light of Elysium

By MayaR-31

Book 1 (complete) - Veterinary student Elle wants to travel, but she doesn't plan on getting pulled into a ma... More

Author's note
Prologue
1 - Dreams
2 - The Journey Begins
3 - Not in Kansas anymore
4 - Kingdom under the Mountains
5 - No way home
6 - A New Partnership
7 - A dark encounter
8 - Did someone yell for a hero
9 - Down by the lake
10 - Dance of the sun and the moon
11 - The Rainbow Isles
12 - Queen's Conquest
13 - Lammas Festival
14 - Lord of the Emerald Isle
15 - Ill met by Moonlight
16 - Agape
17 - Amongst the trees
18 - Equinox
19 - Capture
20 - Lord Nero
21 - Glimmer in the dark
22 - My sweet
#31CreepyWords
23 - Leap of Faith
24 - Flight
25 - White Water
26 - Fearful symmetry
27 - Company of wolves
28 - Falling
29 - Arcadia
30 - A new dawn
31 - Mr Sullen, Mr Mischief & Mr Silent
32 - Green does not become you
33 - Battlelines
34 - Storm
35 - The wild hunt
36 - Temptation
37 - Whiplash
38 - The Chase
40 - Mid-Winter Ball
41 - Promises
42 - The Prophecy
43 - The element of air
44 - Home is where the heart is
45 - Destiny calling
46 - Icarus
47 - Journey by night
48 - A face from the past
49 - Aldebaran
50 - Trial of the White Queen
51 - Sleep, perchance to dream
52 - Lair of the Dark King
53 - Dark dreams
54 - Dark games
55 - Winter's embrace
56 - The Ice Queen and the King of Sin
57 - Politics
58 - A truth uncovered
59 - Back from the edge
60 - Muse
61 - Quandary
62 - Night under the stars
63 - Bound in blood
64 - A rolling stone
65 - Waiting for a hero
66 - Pride and Prejudice
67 - Sensibility
68 - Bedouin Night
69 - Flashpoint
70 - Reunion
71 - Denial
72 - Dreams
73 - A fire kindled
74 - Touched by a Goddess
75 - Ostara
76 - The fire within
77 - Options
78 - An inescapable fate
79 - Point of no return
80 - Bereft
81 - Journey's end
Characters/Cast List
The Queen of Elysium - sneak peek

39 - The white knight

3.8K 295 67
By MayaR-31

(Aren's PoV)

I urge my muscles on. Elissa is in my sight, though she is being tricky, weaving through the trees and making it difficult to close the gap.

She nimbly jumps up onto the bent bough of an aged oak tree and to my amazement it rises up, taking her with it. As she leaps onto another branch, the bough comes crashing down. Cursing, I am forced to jump backwards to avoid being thwacked by it.

From the ground I track her as she makes her way above me, jumping between outstretched branches. If I wasn't feeling so aggrieved, I might admire her agility, but I could swear that the trees are out to get me. Branches snag at my clothes and roots writhe under my feet causing me to stumble.

Finally, Elissa lands with the grace of a cat and sprints across frosted grass towards the small stream that marks the boundary with the formal gardens. Without stopping, she glides over the frozen surface to the other side.

I charge after her, but once again curse as the thin surface cracks beneath my weight, plunging me ankle deep into ice-cold water.

More determined than ever, I push on, the sound of the gravel crunching under my pounding feet.

Elissa hops up onto the edge of an ornamental pond to avoid Gawain, who is standing on the path. The fountain freezes up and stutters to a stop. I jump up hot in pursuit. She is almost within my reach but as I pass the fountain, the ice thaws and rains frigid water down on me.

I growl. My female is using magic. Well, two can play that game. Let me free and I will see how my kitten fares, the tiger urges me to shift.

Do not be a dullard; your bulk will not work to our advantage, the eagle reasons.

Morphing into the eagle, I spread my wings, rising up and then silently swooping down, talons outstretched ready to grab hold of the back of her cloak. Just as I am about to make purchase, Elissa suddenly ducks down and I sail right over her.

Wheeling around, I make another pass and land before the entrance to the castle. Transforming back into a man, I stand with my hands on my hips and block her way.

Elissa screeches to a halt, breathing hard and her eyes flicker to the doorway behind me. Not breaking eye contact, I take the last few steps to bring us together. I crush my lips to hers and enfold her in my arms. She stiffens before melting into me and returning my passion.

A loud cough breaks my reverie and I reluctantly break away from our embrace to find that we have an audience. All the others are gathered around, as is Gawain who is standing there with his arms crossed and eyebrows raised.

I grin, too happy to be affected by Gawain's sourly expression. My buoyant mood dampens slightly when I notice that Drake has an arm around my cousin and is wearing an expression like a cat that has got the cream. Uncertain of this development, I decide that I will have to have a serious word with my friend later.

Elissa's words encroach on my silent mulling. "I would have won if Aren had not cheated and used magic."

I am incredulous. "But you used magic first."

"I didn't..." Elissa's expression goes from mild outrage to contrition and then she cups my cheek with her hand. "If I did, I was not aware. I admit that I wanted to win, but I would not have cheated on purpose."

.......

I march into my parent's reception room. I fail to comprehend what the issue is and am ready to argue my case. The tension in my shoulders eases to find the room empty.

The door to father's study is slightly ajar and the muffled sound of voices herald from within. Since father is evidently busy, I turn to leave but freeze when I hear Elissa's name being uttered. Curiosity piqued, I creep over and peek through the crack. Father is sat in his favourite chair, which is angled towards his mirror, though I cannot see who he is talking to.

"Have you had a chance to examine the white knight?" Father asks.

"Yes, it is pure quartz. You say that this is from the set that I gave you?" A male voice responds. I cannot quite place it.

"Yes. I believe that Elissa is used to the elven version of the game, where the wooden pieces are enchanted to transform between light and dark, so she was completely unaware of having done anything unusual to the jade knight."

"Hmm. It is possible that she is an earth Elemental. Has she shown any other signs of elemental powers?"

"The other day I observed her inadvertently moving a book without touching it and according to Gawain, she froze and unfroze water today."

"Command of more than one element is rare." Surprise is evident in the man's tone. "What do you know of her origins?"

Torbjorn sighs. "Very little. She is an enigma and heralds from a kingdom beyond Elysium."

The man's voice falls to a shaky whisper. "Is there a breach to Tartarus?"

Torbjorn places a hand over his heart and shakes his head. "Oh no, thank the gods not that. Elissa comes from another realm unknown to us. One without magic. Though she evidently has latent gifts. She brought a foal back from the brink of death and has garnered the attention of the Priestesses of the Crystal Temple. The High Priestess herself spoke to me and..."

"I thought that she was under a vow of silence."

"Well, something has happened to make her break that vow. I tell you, Sirius, that woman manages to make me feel like a child rather than a grown man. She practically ordered me to protect Elissa at all costs. I am worried, my friend. Aren is completely enamoured. He tells me that she has elven blood and if she also has Elemental, well I need not say anymore."

I want to know! However, I dare not storm in there demanding an explanation and thereby let father know that I have been eavesdropping on him and Sirius. Well, at least I know who he is conversing with; Sirius, the disgraced former King of the Elementals.

"Whatever you do, do not let my nephew get wind of this possibility." Sirius urges. "Anything that hints towards the prophecy does not bode well. He is obsessed with finding the Light of Elysium."

Father pales for a moment before regaining his normal demeanour. "Are you and Aine coming to the ball?"

"But of course. Your family has been so good to mine when so many others have forsaken us. We would not miss helping to celebrate Leo becoming a man."

"And you, Sirius, were a pillar of strength when father was taken from me too early. While you are here, perhaps you could both cast an eye over Elissa. I may be worrying for nothing."

My knuckles are white where I have been grasping the doorframe. My mind is a tumbling mess, so I spirit myself away to mull over what I have heard.

.......

In Avalon, Garret has just given his evening report, but the High King knows that there is something else on the mind of his Chief of the Guards. A simple quirk of his eyebrow elucidates a response.

"We have been keeping an eye on the girl."

"Which girl in particular?"

"Lady Elissa. She has settled into the court at Arcadia and the younger of the princes has grown quite fond of her. He claims that she used magic today, though it is difficult to ascertain for sure. It might just be coincidence."

The king is not sure what he is blathering on about, so motions to his mirror and watches the scene unfold for himself. He stops the image on the girl's embrace with the prince.

"Quite fond indeed!" He looks away from the mirror and stares into the fireplace. The flames dance and the fire roars. "I need to know whether she is a threat."

"Sire, I do not believe her to be of great concern."

"I will be the judge of that. Now, I seem to recall Rowan prattling on about her brother and sister going to Prince Leo's ball and how we have not had a ball in ages. Frankly, I switched off." The king rolls his eyes. "I think that Rowan should attend with her siblings and I would like you to personally see to her entourage. I am sure that it will be an informative trip."

"I understand, your Majesty." Garrett bows. "I will make the necessary arrangements."

............
AN - the song is You & Me by The Hunna.
It looks like might be more to Elissa than she is aware of.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.8K 4K 37
Book 1. If there was a way to forget all the horrible things life had done to you. A way to get away from the people who made you miserable day after...
321K 24.2K 94
Book 2 (Complete) - A game of Queen's conquest is set to be played across Elysium and in the four corners stand Elissa's suitors: - The High King...
307 20 24
When Phoebe is woken up by James, the boy she's been crushing on since she can remember, she's surprised to find him in a panic. His sister Kara is m...
132K 7K 92
Josh dreams of dragons. He thinks it's just a welcome escape from everyday life. Until one morning, he wakes up with scales, wings, and a tail. Josh...