Of Sinners & Saints

By paddycarr

"It is not out choices but our actions that define us as sinners or saints." "There is a darkness coming and... More

AUTHOR NOTES
Maps
PROLOGUE
ABEL
MARI
HANS
CAIN
RAZIEL (EDITED)
NIKITA (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
RAZIEL (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
NIKITA (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED) this is where I begin on ahura rwyn
MARI (EDITED)
NIKITA (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
MARI (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED)
NIKITA (EDITED)
RAZIEL (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
MARI (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
MARI (EDITED)
THE END

MARI (EDITED)

27 3 0
By paddycarr

I must not lose sight of why I am here. I must get Ezra back. One way or the other. I will succeed. "Surely you don't have to be a freelance mercenary," she begged in a sense for Emre to see the light and perhaps force him down another route. She was looking at him with those sultry sapphire eyes. Emre had said there was an irresistible beauty trapped in those beamers. "You must have some talent?" She put the question to him desperately. "You know, something that doesn't mean you have to do terrible things. I for one believe in you." Her hand reached for his. "You are a good person deep down. I know you are!"

He took her hand in his and left it on her lap. "Like I said," he mused quietly. "in my country, a man has to survive if he does not, he - "

"Dies!" She snatched the words from his mouth. "I know. I get it. And I can also forgive you for taking Ezra. If you help me get her back that is."

"I said I would I - "

"I'm not finished," she cut him of once again. Emre had to hold his tongue as he reached for another cigarette. He held up a hand in an apologetic manner. "I know you have a life to live, a sick gran to look after, but you must have a talent surely. Something that you're passionate about. Talk to me?" She implored him to see the light. She also stood to her feet recognising it was nigh on time to go. It was Emre who reminded her. Half an hour ago in fact.

"Let me tell you a story. When I was a boy, I was bullied, a lot all the time in fact. I was not tall or dashing or smart I had not talents. I just. . . did not fit in, I was a nobody. Then Sultan Ramzeez's soldiers caught me stealing food for my gran. A loaf, can you believe. My parents were in a coma and were as good as dead, I was as you say," he swirled his wrist around looking for the words. "The breadwinner. I pleaded for my life and swore to serve the Ishtar name in any way I could. The good Ramzeez gave me a choice. Become a mercenary or lose both my hands. You can guess which I chose. I threw myself at Ramzeez's feet and begged for mercy. I said I would do anything to serve the Ishtar name. Which I have done. . . faithfully. Until now that is."

"When we get Ezra back, come with me, bring your gran. There are places in Breton we can go. I have friends I - "

"Ah, Mari. . . if only I met a girl like you when I was young," he took a drag of his cigarette. "I could have been so much more. The least I can do is help you get your daughter back. Its only right."

"Your soul is not dammed yet," Mari informed him. With this news a smile came to his face. "So, can you really get me into the palace?"

"I do my best," Emre told her. "I cannot do more than that."

"Will there be much security around the palace?" She asked. Mari felt apprehensive. What the two were going to do was dangerous. She wanted to be prepared for any and every scenario. "You know," she said. "Will there be many guards or any Seasonal's?"

"There will be many armed guards," Emre had repeated this, but he was happy to tell her again seemingly. "As I said, the Sultan is in Zecosia so his Seasonal guards will most likely be with him. . . I think."

He thinks! That is not overly reassuring. "So other than the guards in and around the palace and perhaps a Seasonal or two. Will there be any other threats?" She asked him. She didn't feel threatened by Norms, not really, but their guns, on the other hand, made her feel uneasy. In truth, she just wanted to know what she was up against.

"Not exactly," Emre replied.

She knew Emre was not telling her everything. "What other threats will we face?" Mari asked sternly. "And dont lie to me!" Mari could only hope she had earned Emre's trust. She trusted him - to a point. For the previous hour and a bit, they were talking about Ezra mostly. Emre had told her his one regret was not settling down to have a family of his own. Mari in a seductive manner had informed him that it was not too late. They had bonded and both felt comfortable with each other. They said so themselves.

"Selezar Krulekai. The Serpent King," Emre explained. "He resides in the palace." Mari looked disquiet as her mouth opened just a bit. She had heard of this Serpent King. "A sorcerer he was in an age past," Emre informed her. "Are you scared, Mari?"

Her hand was shaking so she had to be slightly scared, but If she showed any sign of fear Emre might buckle on her, and she needed him, desperately. So, she decided to stay resolute. "No," she calmly replied, but she did not sound overly convincing. That she figured.

"Well, you should be," Emre told her. "With his staff he is as strong if not stronger than any Seasonal."

"Then we need to get rid of his staff," Mari pointed out. "Without it he is useless." It isn't rocket science.

"Leave that to me," Emre assured her as he clasped and cracked his fingers. She was comforted that Emre, this mere Norm, was going to risk his neck to get back her daughter, in a way it was the least he could do. "Have you forgiven me?" He put the question to her. Mari gave no reply instead she snorted another line. She felt more focused for some reason when she took drugs, she was surprised by that. "So much for being against drugs," Emre informed her.

"We might die right?" Mari replied with a smile.

"There will be enough guards to challenge your powers. When we get inside you will have to face Selezar." Emre went to grab the DVD case and snort a line, but Mari stopped him and held his wrist.

"You are driving," she said. "You have to get us there safely. You need a... relatively clear head. Right?"

"Sure," Emre replied, "sure. . . well, will we go?" He suggested thoughtfully. He seemed ready and willing to go the extra mile at least that is what Mari figured.

"Let's," Mari said, as she stood to her feet, not wanting to waste any more time. She was as ready as she would ever be. Emre led the way out of his den.

They walked down the stairs and Mari went to the front door whilst Emre went to see his Gran. One last time for this day at least. Mari heard him speak kind words to her. "You should be in bed," Emre said to his Gran, "you need your rest." He thoughtfully added.

"Omer," she said weakly.

"See you, Gran," and Mari heard Emre give his gran a peck on the cheek. He is far from the monster I thought he was initially. He is good with her, tender. This thought alone brought a smile to her face. She was still conflicted, it was now down to a coin flip as to whether she would take the life of Emre. He came out of the living room and clapped his hands. "Ready?" He announced rhetorically.

"Yeah, " Mari replied, still with that winsome smile.

"Why are you so happy?" Emre asked as the two went outside and walked toward the car they purloined from earlier.

"Oh. . . I'm just thinking," she said as she got in on the passenger side. Everything seemed so refreshing, she put that down to the drink and drugs. Emre got in the driving seat.

Once they were settled and buckled up, Emre hotwired the car. "Thinking about what? Might I ask."

"Not all in the Ishtarian Empire are bad. Are they?"

"No all of us," Emre admitted.

They had arrived at the palace a little after one in the morning. The palace had architecture like no other in the district. The reigning monarch, Ramzeez's father, Qadir, the redoubtable, some four decades earlier had shipped in an architect from Breton to erect such a beautiful modern palace. The open porch at the front held up with most ostentatiously detailed pillars, painted in brilliant white like the rest of the building. It had four sides around a central quadrangle and over five hundred rooms can you believe. There was a glass dome tower that had such intricate designs. There was a large and grand gate with sharp spikes at the top and a matching fence going all around the perimeter of the palace.

Just like Emre had said there were not that many guards present. Mari could count them all on her fingers alone. As they got out of the vehicle Emre put a question to her. "How do we - " Mari grabbed Emre's arm and then teleported to the front door of the palace. They were before a tall solid oak and bronze door. "Nice," Emre said as he and Mari heaved open the doors.

Inside there were surprisingly no guards. it was dark and there were numerous arches going this way and that. The flagstone floor had never been seen in the district before. "Where now?" She asked him.

Emre grabbed her hand, "this way." The pair followed the red carpet up to another grand door of wood and bronze and together they pushed the tall door open. They entered a grand cavernous room. There were guards on either side, and they all aimed their guns at the pair, but other than that they didn't move. They were statues awaiting a superior's command. This was the throne room, she figured. Banners with the crescent moon sigil hung from the plain grey stone walls, there was not a lot of light. Mari looked up at the intricate leaded glass dome and the moon shone down on them. On the left as you walk is a raised gallery that connects to other areas of the palace. A line of lancet windows is positioned directly behind the Titan Throne. Up ahead were steps that led to dais then the throne itself.

"The Titan throne," Emre said in a hushed tone. "Created by none other the Henry Breton. It is made of obsidian stone."

On the throne sat Selezar Krulekai.

The Serpent King had a long black staff in hand. Two guards were protecting him and stood on either side of the throne. They aimed their weapons at Mari and Emre who now approached the dais. Mari now knew why Selezar Krulekai was called the Serpent King the second she laid eyes on him. Selezar looked rather terrifying. He had skin like a black mamba, a snake's nose, but Selezar also retained a man's features. He had hands and feet like any man. He also had ruby red eyes. He wore an immaculate white dishdash.

"Emre," Selezar sounded like he had throat infection or something. "You bring me another."

Mari turned to look at Emre with a look of disdain. She went to use a Seasonal attack, but she couldn't use her powers. No flame could she create. She was speechless. Did. . . Emre just set me up? Am I trapped? She looked at her palm. "Igni" she said the words softly. Still looking at her palm no flame could she create.

"I... might have forgotten to mention," the sly rat Emre spoke. "There is a dark magic in this place that prevents Seasonal's from using their powers," she went to strike him and did so violently. She smacked him square in the jaw. She hurt her fist in the process. Emre felt her full force and he held his jowl in the palm of his hand. The fierce velocity of the punch had nearly dropped him to his knees.

"Guards," Selezar called out before she could lay another hand on Emre several guards came out from the shadows and surrounded poor Mari. They pointed their guns at her, ready to fire. Emre wisely took a step back. "You have done well Emre to bring this one," and from Selezar's pocket, he pulled out a black pouch and threw it at Emre's feet, "here is the gold as requested."

"May I leave?" Emre said as he looked at Mari with unforgiven eyes.

How could he? How could I be so foolish and be deceived so easily. . . I'm so stupid. "How could you?" A pugnacious Mari asked. "You are a cunt," she added with real venom as Emre walked off with his gold. She detested his grating swagger.

Emre stopped and turned around he waved his finger to and fro. "Remember what I said Mari," he looked at her unkindly. "A man must survive if he doesn't survive, he dies. . . thanks for the memories," and on that note, "The Rat" Emre Yilmaz left her in misery.

Mari watched him leave and loathed him more than any other man she had loathed before. She vowed revenge as she silently cursed his name, but then Selezar spoke. "Ah. . . the mother I presume."

"Where is she?" Mari looked back at the Serpent King. "Where is Ezra?" Her fury was bubbling out of her. She was red faced. Her usual loving eyes gave way and she showed a wickedness that could not be un done.

"That I cannot say," Selezar said. "You're a brave woman to come here alone."

"I swear I will kill all of you if she is harmed," Mari vowed.

"That I would like to see. Guards," Selezar called out. "Take her to the dungeon." She was seized by four men and escorted to the depths of the dungeon that was conveniently adjacent to the throne room.

She was led down a flight of stairs the stone here was bare, not plastered. It was dank and dark down here. She was put into an austere cell and was handcuffed to the wall the chains were rusty and chaffed her wrists. The guards left her and her misery as they closed the iron gate and locked it with a click.

There was no bed just a clump of hay and a chamber pot. Thick cobwebs filled the corners of the room, and wisps of webbing hung from the ceiling too. What was wholly disturbing was the fact that rats inside had come to feed on a putrid corpse lying in the centre of the floor in the same dark cell Mari was in, she nearly bulked. The Sultan had forgotten and neglected his prisoners seemingly. She sat down and started to cry and realized there was nothing she could do.

"She's coming," was the hushed voice from the cell opposite hers. "She's coming," she heard again. She would hear this mad man rant until she fell asleep, she feared. "She's coming. She's coming. She's coming!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.7K 617 25
An initiate angel prophesied to save the world, and a low-class demon send to stop her. But something about it all doesn't sound alright. And for som...
636 221 60
(Fantasy•Romance) COMPLETED Zach made a decision that will again put his own life on the verge of death, but his love for his only maiden is very str...
216 70 14
As a young girl, she never once felt alone.. As her parents split, she goes to live with her aunt. Finding out her mother has kept some pretty import...