Of Sinners & Saints

由 paddycarr

"It is not out choices but our actions that define us as sinners or saints." "There is a darkness coming and... 更多

AUTHOR NOTES
Maps
PROLOGUE
ABEL
MARI
HANS
CAIN
RAZIEL (EDITED)
NIKITA (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
RAZIEL (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
NIKITA (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED) this is where I begin on ahura rwyn
MARI (EDITED)
NIKITA (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
MARI (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED)
NIKITA (EDITED)
RAZIEL (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
MARI (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
MARI (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
MARI (EDITED)
THE END

ABEL (EDITED)

36 3 0
由 paddycarr

Eventually, Rhian stopped, as did Madraban and Abel. The badger made an admission. "we're here, lads."

"But. . . there is nothing there," Abel pointed out, expecting to see a bosky area of some description. To the untrained eye, there appeared to be just more land with the backdrop of the great Half Mountain. It was called the Half Mountain because its split east and west of Emirulore. One side was rich with fertile land, that was the east. The West where Abel intended to go was knows as the poorer half of Emirulore. Poor land for the most part and endless hills for miles and miles.

"Remember what I told you," Rhian recollected, "there is an invisible blanket covering this wood. Follow me in, lads," Rhian would echo, "follow me in." Rhian walked forward first and then he just vanished. Abel and Madraban looked at one another and both were bemused. Rhian's head then re-emerged, and he held out a humanoid paw. "Are you two coming?" Rhian asked them and then the badger vanished once more. Madraban gulped as he looked at Abel and then the albino went in next and Abel not liking to be left on his own promptly followed.

The aberrant trio had entered the magical Runda Wood.

Abel gazed around, it was a tranquil bosky region with glaucous pine trees and mighty oaks, the trees here had their own space in which to grow and each tree seemed to respect its neighbours plot. Around the woodland floor were ferns, grasses, mushrooms, and tree seedlings. Abel's ears could faintly distinguish the echoing sounds of what he presumed were other Manimals murmuring far away.

"Excuse me," a faint squeaky voice came from below him and when he looked down, he saw there was an adorable dormouse on two feet. Another Manimal. The dormouse had black beady eyes, a pink nose, and other delectable features. He even wore a warrior's garment and even had an endearing toothpick size sword. Would you believe?

"Oh sorry," Abel said as he took a step back. He could if he wished to crush this little critter with his size nine boot.

"Hello Rhian," the dormouse said with a winsome smile.

"Florence," Rhian replied and just like that the dormouse scurried off into the depths of the woods. No doubt on the prowl for a merry adventure.

The woods seemed alive with hidden secrets that only it knew. Abel wanted to learn. Be the sponge he told himself. "This is brilliant," Abel said. This magical place temporarily took his mind of Raziel's horrific end.

"You think?" Rhian answered. The badger was probably used to these surroundings by now and probably saw nothing spectacular.

"Yeah," Madraban agreed as he winced again. The albino's jubilant response caused him severe pain. Abel gently patted his back.

"We'll get you patched up in no time," Rhian affirmed.

"If everyone just hid here, we might avoid war," Abel pointed out.

"Aye, and eh, for how long might everyone survive?" Rhian pondered to himself. "Ever hear the expression you can run but ya can't hide? Besides, Runda Wood is supposed to be a secret refuge. You must not tell anyone of this place. Got it?" Rhian's usually upbeat tone sounded seriously stubborn. Abel and Madraban looked at each other and sort of nodded their heads and then they gazed at Rhian. "Jennifer forbid my master will not be pleased."

"Will he be angry?"

"Livid," Rhian was quick of the mark to respond. "No one can know the way to Runda Wood, or so my master says. And now I must ask you both kindly to never share where this refuge is with anyone. Got it?" For the badger, as cute as he was, could still give you an evil eye when he wanted too.

"I swear by it," Abel said emphatically.

"Sure," Madraban added sounding less than convincing.

"Come on lads, not far to go now, nearly there," Rhian strode off in front on all fours. Madraban and Abel were hot on his heels.

What a magical wood indeed. As expected for mid-Spring viridescent shades were evident all around. So, this invisible blanket allowed in sunlight and unfortunately the rain. There was something about nature and a woodland area that Abel found wholly enchanting. The smell wafted into his nostrils, it was like some rare perfume that could not be bottled. This earthy smell mingled with life and death alike had an instinctive calming effect on him. Stones, dead leaves, and twigs had hidden an old murky path that must have washed away every time it rained but remained.

"So, who lives in this enchanted wood?" Abel asked gawking around at his surroundings some more.

"It has become home to many Manimals," Rhian admitted.

"But I thought Prosperous was a refuge for Manimals," Abel pointed out a salient fact.

"Pfft. . . Prosperous is nothing more than a circus for tourists to gawk at Manimals living lives of humans. It's belittling I say. Belittling!"

"Well maybe - "

"No maybe about it, lad. Prosperous is not for me. Therefore, many Manimals have chosen to come to Runda Wood. With my master's blessing of course."

"Did he create this enchanted woodland?"

"In a sense, yes he did, but wait until you get to the cabin it's his slice of heaven, I tell you."

"How long has your Master, Metisagha and his partner Martha lived here?" Madraban put in. The albino still winced and often he would show the mark that Firbolg had left him. It looked painful.

"For over a decade they have lived in peace away from the mad world. They are not particularly fond of what goes on outside of this place, in truth. Too much bull shit, or so my Master proclaims."

"What are they like?"

"Ah, they are lovely people you'll see for yourself, lads."

"Tell me a bit about them," Abel asked yearning to know a bit about who he was going to meet. He liked to be prepared in advance. No names and such.

"Very well," Rhian said as he pondered where to begin. "They are. Well. They are a bit backward you could say, a bit old-fashioned and they highly value tradition. Their love for each other however knows no end and they can weather the most violent storm together, but boy do they bicker. Metisagha, that is my Master. Upon first appearances looks like a regular old man and at times he can be an introvert and I'm sure he has many secrets that he has not even told me. Mother Martha well she is a tough independent lady, she comes all the way from the south of Sumaria, now ruled by Cheikh Ibora, I do believe. Back then it was impossible to leave, she was one in a hundred who escaped that tyrannical ruler. We call her Big-Momma, but she hates that really. Like I said you will see them for yourselves. Then pass judgement."

"They sound interesting," Abel pointed out. "I think I would like them."

"I think you will like them too," Rhian assured both Abel and the albino. "I think you both will like them. Although my master might be grumpy when he sees you at first, don't mind him, I'll feel the wrath of his anger for sure for showing you the way into this wood."

"I don't want to get you into trouble," Abel said in Rhian's defence. That was the last thing he wanted.

"Me neither," Madraban echoed.

"Well lads. . . dare I say, it's a bit late to go back now," a regretful Rhian murmured. "A bit late indeed."

Hopefully, Rhian's Master is not too harsh. The brisk breeze dodged between the trees, and for a moment, Abel felt at ease. Then the heavens opened, and it started to rain, at first, it was no more than a welcoming drizzle, but then it began bucketing down. He was drenched in a matter of minutes. Pity this invisible blanket didn't act as an umbrella.

The rain began quenching the scattered puddles of which there were many. One puddle was rather deep, and Abel didn't see it until his ankle became immersed in one. "A damn it!" Abel exclaimed and then he huffed again. A squiggly noise infuriated him as it meant he had water in his shoe and sock. Rhian and Madraban began to titter. "Oh, shut up!" Abel snapped bitterly at them.

It was wet, and it was just as well when Abel saw the cabin where Rhian lived. "We're here," Rhian said. The trio came to a quaint wooden cabin in the heart of the wood. This cabin had been uniquely designed to be deliberately different. At the back of the cabin was a grand lake which reflected all the green surrounding the area. Rhian led Abel and Madraban up the steps and he opened the door and quickly the badger led his guests into his abode and out of the rain. All three shook the lingering wetness from them like drenched dogs. "Just hang your coats there," Rhian pointed to a set of hooks on the wooden wall then led the way to a spacious living room. There was a stove with a log fire burning ever so well. The place smelled of wildflowers. There were a couple of sofas made for comfort and a recliner that must have been the master's chair. A great rug spread across the floor and a coffee table was in the middle of the room. This was certainly a way to live if you didn't want any attention or were a notorious hermit of sorts. Rhian's abode was homely though not of his design for it was made for a fully grown human that much was obvious. "Go on now, make yourselves comfortable," Rhian stressed pointing at the sofa.

"That you dear?" A strong womanly voice called from the kitchen. It was blatantly clear she was from Sumaria. Such a firm thick voice.

"Just me Martha," Rhian made her cognizant of his arrival. The badger went into the kitchen and left Abel and Madraban to open a constructive dialogue, they were friendlier now than when they first met. Abel then noticed an alluring smell in the kitchen, he was hungry, as ever. Abel and Madraban didn't say much they just sat there quietly and gazed at the trinkets in a glass cupboard and the impressive watercolour paintings adorning the walls. They were amateurish but good.

Abel decided to listen to Rhian and Martha talk as best he could. Madraban seemed to do likewise. "Hello Shug," Martha greeted the badger. "Good to see your back, did you have fun out in the wild?"

"Fun. . . that is one way to put it, not the adjective I would use. Is the master back yet?" Rhian put the question to her.

"Not yet Shug, but he should be back soon. You know him, can't go more than a few hours without a bite. Even made him some sandwiches, they'll be long gone by now. Any second he will burst through the door and want his dinner."

"Martha," Rhian cautiously said in a noticeable hushed voice.

"What is it, Shug?"

"We have guests," Rhian said at least that is what Abel thought Rhian said.

"Now, you know you shouldn't have done that," Martha informed Rhian telling him of sternly in the way only a mother would if her child brought back a stranger. "Where are they?" She did lower her voice this time.

"In there," Rhian whispered.

"Well take me to these guests introduce them to me," Martha insisted.

"One of them. . . the boy claims to be none other than Abel Magia."

Abel's ears burned.

"Impossible."

Martha and Rhian came into the living room at that point. Abel beheld the fattest woman he had ever seen. Some folks have invisible addictions; to tobacco, caffeine or painkillers, but hers was too obvious to miss. Her skin was as dark if not darker than the night sky and her freckles were darker still like specs of coal doted all over her face. Martha had bell's palsy, so her face looked droopy on one side and she also had heavy bags under her upbeat brown eyes. Martha had style alright, she wore a long flowing tie-dye dress the colours predominantly dark blue, pink and purple although the dress did not hide her flabby arms. her breasts weighed her down immensely hence why she was slightly hunched. She also wore a headscarf that covered her bald pate. Martha managed to smile when she saw Abel and Madraban. Her smile was warm and welcoming and could uplift any troubled soul. "Hello Shug," Martha said, brimming from ear to ear.

"You accent," Madraban alluded to still wincing when he spoke. "You are from the south of Sumaria, am I right?"

"Born in the deep south shug, though I have been in Emirulore all my adult life."

"You have a beautiful home," Abel was quick to dish out a compliment.

"If only I can take credit for this place, Shug. I have added a woman's touch to it though." The silk drapery, the comfortable couches, the flowers, and the scented candles had to have been her input at the very least. "So, who have we got here then?" Martha asked, her eyes darted between Rhian, Madraban, and Abel.

"The boy is Abel Magia," Abel looked displeased at being referred to as "the boy" but nonetheless he raised a hand to indicate which of the two he was. "This is Madraban," Rhian added.

There was a moment's pause as Martha inspected her guests with a keen analytical eye. "Well, Shug's, it's a pleasure to meet you both. I am Martha." She introduced herself, but Abel already knew that.

"Martha," Rhian spoke.

"Yes Shug," she replied as she took a seat in the master's recliner.

"There was an incident," Rhian said.

"What kind of incident, Shug?"

"Firbolg," Rhian uttered the name of the giant cyclops.

"What has that beast done now," Martha asked. Abel looked down at the floor and Madraban too seemed despondent. This left Rhian to explain what had happened.

"He attacked them."

"These two?"

"They lost a friend," Rhian pointed out.

"Who, Shug?"

"Raziel," Abel said glumly. "An Enlighted. A... friend." He finished.

Martha's eyes widened as did her gobsmacked mouth. She offered up her condolences. "Shucks, I'm so sorry to hear that Shug," Abel noted she did not sound surprised to know of an Enlighted.

"Madraban there is in severe pain Martha, he needs medical attention."

"It's my side," Madraban moaned, "I think I have broken a rib or two. I should heal quickly, but some medication might dull the pain momentarily, for a day and a bit at least I should reckon."

Like a teen, Martha sprung to her feet. "Come on in here with me shug there is a bed you can lie down on." Madraban stood to his feet his gait rather clumsy and the albino followed Martha into a spare room that was conveniently downstairs, just behind the couch in fact. Abel and Rhian followed them in as well.

The room was perfect for a guest. There was a double bed that had a wooden frame which was in keeping with the rest of the cabin. Dont you think? There was not much in terms of colour. There was a beautiful aerial photo of the cabin and Runda Wood as a whole. That photo was framed and was placed opposite the bed, but it tilted to one side. There was the customary furniture a chair beside the window that looked out into the woods, a wardrobe and chest of draws and lastly a standalone mirror. As informed, perfect for a guest.

"What happened shug?" Martha put the question to the albino.

"Firbolg smashed my ribs when I came to assist Raziel and Abel there."

"Why Shug you should not even be alive."

"But I am," Madraban said in a slightly sardonic tone.

"You a survivor?" Martha assumed.

"Uh-huh."

"My you have unusual eyes," Martha noted.

"Some call me a freak."

"Well we're all freaks here Shug," Martha kindly pointed out. "Come. . . take off your long shirt." Madraban hesitated for a second, after all it was the only clothing he wore, but he did as Martha instructed and he took off his long hemp shirt. Madraban was fast to cover his shrivelled manhood. Abel noticed a huge black bruise on his side now. He was lucky it was just a bit of bruising and a cracked rib or two. Abel knew it could have been a lot worse. It could so easily have been Madraban's life.

"Rhian," Martha called out loud for the attentive Manimal.

"Yes Martha," Rhian replied coming to her side.

"Go to the kitchen and fetch me some bandages, would you. And some morphine tablets there labelled so they should not be hard to find." So as Martha tended to Madraban, Rhian went to get the supplies from the kitchen. Abel looked on but was as useless as tits on a nun.

"Can I help?" Abel asked, willing to do whatever he could.

Before Martha could say anything, Rhian had called out for assistance "Abel, come hither." Abel walked into the kitchen which was in-keeping with the rest of the wooden cabin but had all the modern appliances one would ever need. Abel noticed Rhian needed a stepping block to reach the medical supply box. "A little help," Rhian asked. Abel promptly assisted the badger. The green medical box was in a high cupboard just above the washing machine and he left the box down for Rhian to rummage through. Rhian pulled out a rolled up linen bandage and some tablets. "Fill us a glass of water," Rhian softly asked.

"Where are the glasses?" Abel responded. Looking about him.

"In the cupboard," Rhian said his faint voice filtered into Abel's keen ear. Abel found the glasses easily enough and he filled one up with cold water and went back into the spare room.

Martha had all the supplies she needed now. "Here a couple of these will do shug," she gave Madraban two-minute white tablets. Abel handed the albino a glass of water so he could swallow the pills easier. "Now then on your feet," Martha softly ordered. Madraban gingerly stood up. "Raise your hands above your head," Martha kindly asked. Again, Madraban did as he was bid, and he raised his arms above his head and winced. "Whoa," Martha waved her hand over her nose she was repulsed by Madraban's underarm stink. "When was the last time you washed?"

Madraban shrugged his shoulders, "a month maybe."

"OH boy you do stink," Martha said as she gently wrapped the bandages around him, a couple of times she accidentally aggravated the pain, but she was done in no time at all. "Now you just lie down and rest," Martha insisted. "You'll be as right as rain, in no time at all," Martha told him and left his side and shooed Rhian and Abel out of the room and she closed the door to allow Madraban to rest.

"Will he be alright?" Abel asked worried for his new friend.

"He'll be fine," Martha assured him, "just fine. Boy will be up and about in no time at all."

Martha went back to the kitchen, probably to check her stew. Just as she left, Abel and Rhian sat down and made themselves comfortable, but not a word was said between the pair for the front door swung open with a loud slam and an elderly man stood there drenched from the vicious downpour.

"Master," Rhian said standing to attention.

This obviously had to be the master then, Metisagha.

繼續閱讀

You'll Also Like

701 39 26
Being rewritten [Book 1 of The Demoness's Chronicles] Alice was abandoned at the gate of the orphanage as a baby during a cold winter night. She got...
30.4K 3.3K 50
Twenty years ago, Garanth's father killed Garanth's mother and cursed the land by opening a passage for the spirits of the Void. Now the spirits of t...
714K 28.4K 33
By the age of sixteen, all elves are claimed by one of the six Gods and inherit some of their abilities. There is Aria (air), Lionel (earth), Kalama...
3.1K 143 31
From a fulfilled life to a powerful lizard?! Lena(now Lava), whom accepted an early death, is now fated to live the longest! After losing her mother...