A Prescription for Love

By tufano79

Bella Swan works as a nurse at Cook County Hospital in the ER. She's older and desperate for love. It's hinde... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Epilogue
A Healing Touch

Chapter Twenty

2K 38 1
By tufano79

This is different from the norm. In all of the stories that I've read or that I've seen, all of the characters are disgustingly perfect unless they are written with very clear flaws. This story is about love (um, duh! Look who's writing it. I'm the queen of romance), and finding it in the least likely place with the least likely person.

Now, this story is based in a hospital. My medical training comes from...WebMD. I'm not a doctor, nor do I claim to be. I'm a music teacher who has a wild imagination and a penchant for all things Twilight (and with this story, added in a mix of ER! I loved Luca Kovac...) Which brings me to my disclaimer: None of this is mine. I'm not, nor ever will be, Stephenie Meyer. If was, I'd be rolling in the dough from her insane imagination that gave us Bella and Edward. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter Twenty

BPOV

"Rose, are you certain that Edward will like this?" I asked. I was folding his present, placing it into the brightly decorated bag. I knew he was a fan of the Cubs, but I was nervous that he would freak out at my present, or rather, presents.

"Bella, you could shit on his chest and he'd like it," Rose snickered.

"That's gross, Rose," Alice said, wrinkling her nose. "I mean, really. Next, you'll suggest that Bella give him a golden shower and he'd be praising her pee. He'll want to bottle it and drink it like water."

"Okay, that was gross," Rose laughed.

"There was a line, Alice and you sooooooooooo crossed it," I deadpanned. She shrugged, looking over the packet of information on my desk.

"Speaking of peeing," Angela grumbled, darting to the bathroom. Not even closing the door, she sighed heavily. "This kid is already doing a number on my bladder. Damn Ben and his super-atomic sperm."

"You love him," I crooned.

"I do, but I do not like what his child is doing to my body. I have to eat saltine crackers as soon as I wake up. I live off of zofran. I pee ever thirty seconds. Plus, I'm horny as fuck and all I want to do is molest, rape and pillage my boyfriend. Okay, not molest, rape and pillage, but get down and dirty with him." Angela finished in the bathroom, wiping her hands as she sat down back on my bed. "Though it was his peen that got us into this mess in the first place."

"You bitch and moan, but we all know you're excited," Alice said as she shoved Angela. "I see you when you're on shift, lovingly rubbing your belly."

"I am excited. Scared shitless, but excited," Angela said wistfully, placing her hand on her small bump on her stomach. "Now, back to Bella and her birthday surprise for Dr. Sexward. We have a mission, ladies. Let's go over what she's got planned for his royal hotness for tomorrow."

"His royal hotness?" Rose snorted.

"Shut it. Edward's a stud," Angela said, waving her hand.

"First, I'm going over to his place and cooking him breakfast in bed," I said, rolling my eyes affectionately at my roommate and my friend. I had all of the ingredients in his fridge to make him his favorite: Greek omelets with spinach and feta cheese, with a side of sausage and some silver dollar pancakes.

"Then, his birthday blowjob," Alice snickered.

"Alice!" I hissed, knowing full well that I was going to give him some oral satisfaction after breakfast, but it didn't need to be announced to the entire planet.

"Ali, that is my brother. I do not need to know that he's going to get a morning hummer from my sister," she giggled.

"I'm not married to him," I teased, staring at Rose and arching a brow.

"Yet. Soon, though," she smirked. "Back to Bella's plans and Edward's birthday, after the morning sexy times, what's next?"

"Lincoln Park Zoo," I replied.

"You noticed she didn't deny the sexy times," Angela snickered.

I smacked her, glowering at my roommate. "We're going to wander around there until we need to head to Wrigley Field. Edward's throwing out the first pitch and singing the seventh inning stretch against the Diamondbacks."

"How in the hell did you swing that?" Alice asked.

"A couple of weeks ago during my span of overnight shifts, one of the bigwigs from the Cubs organization came into the ER with stomach pains. He had acute appendicitis. Dr. Denali and I treated him and he was impressed with our professionalism and caring demeanor. The next day, he asked to see both of us in his room and asked if he could do anything for us. We couldn't accept anything as per the hospital policy, but I did mention in passing that my boyfriend was a huge fan of the Cubs. It was a few days later that I got a package in the mail, stating to contact his office for anything that I needed. I called up the office and made arrangements for the first pitch and seventh inning stretch for his birthday. Plus, we're sitting in the owner's box with all of the trimmings inside. I'm getting it at cost thanks to the connection in the Cubs organization."

"Edward will be over the moon excited, Bella. He's such a big fan, almost to point of sickness. My big brother bleeds Cubbie blue," Rose said, hugging me. "What about after the game?" She waggled her brows suggestively.

"Go back to his place and make love?" I squeaked. "I don't know!"

"You need to do something extra special for your man on his special day," Angela said, giving me a stern look. "Wear some risqué lingerie and give him a lap dance or something."

"I can barely walk on a straight, flat surface and you want me to dance for him?" I asked dryly. "That's an ER trip waiting to happen. I don't think so. I'm not even remotely sexy. He'd probably just laugh at me."

"Unlikely," Alice snickered. "Edward looks at you like you've hung the moon, babe. Do. It." I blushed and shook my head in the negative.

"Come on, Bella. We need to get you something special for when you get back from the game. PLUS, a hot outfit to wear to the baseball game. It's going to be warm but you can still look cute," Rose said. "I'll also see if my aesthetician has some availability for a bikini wax. You're due." I could barely form a thought as my friends grabbed me, dragging me out of the apartment to buy some hot outfit for the baseball game, sexy lingerie for afterward and to get my vajayjay waxed.

Being a woman sucks.

Three hours later, I was laden with bags filled with my new outfit, which was in the missy size range and very skimpy underwear to wear underneath the sexy outfit. Well, sexy for me. The shirt was still 'large' but I felt so proud of myself that I was able to walk into a store and grab a 'regular' shirt and not a plus sized one. It was a v-neck Cubs shirt in royal blue with white and red accents. It hugged my curves, accenting my assets. Cleavage. I also picked up a pair of navy blue Bermuda-length jean shorts, size twelve. I was a bit bummed about that, but Alice said that the brand I bought tended to run small. Alice wanted me to buy these red heels to wear with the outfit, but I said I was going to a baseball game, not a dance. I had a pair of red Chuck Taylors that would match the red in my shirt. As a reward for my graduation to missy sizes, Rose bought me a red bra and panty set from La Perla.

I found it to be very odd that my boyfriend's sister was buying me lingerie to seduce said boyfriend. As she swiped her credit card, Rose smiled smugly. She handed me the bag with a wink, linking arms with me as we walked to our next stop: the salon for my dreaded bikini waxing.

Angela and Alice were yammering ahead of us while Rose and I were lollygagging behind them. "I have to ask, Rose," I said. "Emmett? What's going on with you two?"

"Well, when I told him that I was going to stay in Chicago for medical school, he was so thrilled. He did say that he would be willing to move out there for me, but his family and friends are here, you know?" she said. Her green were twinkling with happiness but there was an underlying sadness behind them, too.

"That's great that he's happy about you staying. However, you know that's not what I'm asking, Rosalie," I chided.

"I know," she frowned, the twinkle dying in her green eyes. "Every time I try to get close to him, I clam up. Royce is always in my head, taunting me. Laughing at me because he..." Two fat tears fell out of her eyes. Hastily, she rubbed her face.

I pulled on Rose's arm, stopping her. Her face was scrunched up in a worried, sad grimace. Her hands were moving nervously in front of her as tears fell freely onto her cheeks. I pulled her into my arms, hugging her tightly. "Rosalie, Emmett loves you. He may not have said the words but you can see it in the way he acts around you, how he cherishes you and how he cares about you. He's not Royce."

"I know he's not," she sniffled. "But whether I like it or not, Royce is the asshole in my head, ridiculing me and teasing me for everything that I've done and will do with Emmett. I don't know how to get over that."

"You have to muscle through it, Rose," I said as I wiped her tears away. "For ten years, Jacob was the voice in my head. Seeing him stare at me coldly after we had had sex was the memory that was played on repeat in my brain until I met your brother. I still remembered it when I was with Edward. That's why it took so long for us to make love. It was me. All me."

"I can't even fucking kiss him," she spat. "I tried to be the instigator. No dice. I asked him to try but something happened where I was thrown into a massive flashback. Emmett had to call my dad to come get me because I was in such a panic. I had to be sedated."

I was about to respond when Angela shouted to us. "Hey guys, we're going to go into Pea in a Pod," Angela called out. "My clothes are too tight and it's time for me to break out the credit card to get into maternity clothes. Yay!"

"Let's not forget the maternity lingerie," Alice giggled, dragging her to nearby store. Angela grumbled.

Rose and I walked into the salon, sitting in the reception area. She sat, idly playing with a ring on her right hand. "I'm so scared, Bella. My body says yes to Emmett but my mind...it's all sorts of messed up."

"Rose, you can't push it," I said softly.

"I know," she murmured.

"Have you talked to Michele about this?" I asked. Rose shook her head. "That should be your first step, sweetie. She can help you."

"I feel like Michele is frustrated with me," Rose said, shooting me a look. She blushed slightly.

"Nonsense," I admonished. "Michele would never get frustrated with you. She cares about you and wants you to be happy. All of us do, Rose!"

"Maybe I'm internalizing it. I don't know," she sighed. "I'm just so afraid that Emmett is going to give up on me."

"Bella Swan?" called the receptionist.

"We're not done with this conversation, Rosalie," I said sternly. She nodded and sat back, picking up a magazine. I walked to the torture chamber, stripping out of my capris and panties. Fifteen minutes later, my girlie bits were scowling at me and I'm walking back out front to meet up with Rose. Seated with Rose were Angela and Alice, surrounded with a shit-ton of bags. "Dear God! Did you buy the entire store?"

"Only the necessities," Alice chirped. "Jeans, dresses, shirts, shorts, underwear, accessories." I walked to the counter, only to be waved away by the receptionist. I glared at Rose who smirked at me. "We've got to get you some saucy lingerie for birthday boy."

"What about the underwear that Rose bought me?" I asked. "Isn't that saucy enough?"

"That's saucy to wear underneath the clothes for the game," Angela said as she rubbed her belly. "You need something saucier to give Edward the orgasm of his life!" Angela linked her arms with me and physically pulled me to Victoria's Secret. Alice and Rose were right behind us. Inside of the pink store, I was thrust into a dressing room and ordered to trip out of my clothes. I decided not to fight it, complying with their bossy requests. Mounds of lace, satin and pieces of string disguised as panties were hung in my dressing room. I tried things on, tossing what I didn't like out and keeping what I found to be alluring and sexy.

Okay, it was one negligee. It was a deep fuchsia with black lacy accents and a black lace thong. It had enough coverage to hold in my girls and was long enough to hide my imperfections on my thighs. I carried my find, clutching it to my chest and blushing the same color as the satin fabric I held in my hands.

"That's all you're going to get?" Alice chided.

"Yes, Alice," I said. "The rest of the stuff you threw at me was skimpy, trashy and downright pornographic. This is elegant and I'm certain that Edward will love it."

"She's right," Rose said as she fingered the lace. "But, I know exactly what you need to do to get Edward to explode." The secretive smile that spread over her face indicated that it was definitely going to take me outside of my comfort zone.

Well, crap...

Plus, she foiled my intentions for talking to her about her situation with Emmett. I will be talking to her, or Emmett.

xx APFL xx

Early the next morning, I snuck into Edward's brownstone. Tiptoeing up the stairs, I checked on him. He was strewn across the bed, holding the pillow that I normally slept on when I spent the night. His face was scrunched adorably as he curled around the pillow. He was mumbling incoherently, holding tighter on the pillow. I couldn't resist walking over to him, kissing his forehead, brushing his disheveled locks from his face. "Love you, Dr. Sexward."

"Love you, too," he murmured, sighing before rolling over and giving a loud snort. His breathing evened out and I knew he was dead to the world. I left the bedroom, scurrying down to the kitchen to make Edward's breakfast. I made the sausages first, placing them into the warming oven. Using the residual oil from the sausages, I made Edward's omelet. While the spinach was sautéing, I made the batter for the pancakes and got out some fresh fruit that I had purchased.

A half hour later, the breakfast was made and placed on a tray. I said a quick prayer before heading up the stairs. It would be just my luck that I'd fall going up the damn stairs, spilling the meal all over the carpet. Thankfully, I got up the stairs without stumbling. I moved slowly into Edward's bedroom, placing the tray onto the bench at the foot of the bed. Crawling onto the mattress, I tugged gently on the sheets, revealing my gloriously naked boyfriend. With a smirk, I kissed up his legs until I reached his semi-hard cock. I looked up at him and saw that he was still asleep. I giggled as I leaned down, running my tongue along his length.

"Hmmmm," he groaned as he shifted slightly. His hand moved to his belly. With my hand, I twined my fingers with his hand as I held his hardening member in my other hand. Languidly, I ran my fingers along the velvety smoothness of his cock. He shifted again, thrusting his hips slightly into my hand. I moaned quietly, wrapping my mouth around the head of his arousal. I swirled my tongue around the head, twisting my hand around the base. "More..." he rasped out.

I chuckled around him as I took him deeper inside of my mouth. His skin was slightly salty and warm from being covered by the blankets. He was also rock hard as I worked him with my teeth and tongue. I released his cock, keeping my hand pumping as I kissed down to his balls, sucking them between my lips. Edward's fingers moved from my hand and I looked up. His eyes were open, rubbing them sleepily. "Holy fuck!" he exclaimed.

I licked up to his head, swallowing him as far as he could go inside of my mouth. I hummed deeply while I bobbed my head, staring at his slightly bleary eyes. I sucked in my cheeks, earning a low growl from him. My hands were moving continuously on his body, bringing him closer to his release. His hands were tangled in my hair as he watched me, with now, rapt attention. I used my teeth, nibbling on the underside of his shaft. My palm was circling his head of his cock.

"Bella," he moaned. "You're killing me."

"No, I'm not," I said coyly, idly licking his soft skin around the base of his hardness. "I want to see you come." He let out a slightly strangled groan, flopping back on his pillows. I giggled before kissing up to the tip of his erection. Using my tongue, I toyed with the slit that was leaking with his pre-cum. "Do you want to come?"

"Yes," he hissed. "Please, Bella. I need you."

"You have me," I cooed. With a wink, I wrapped my lips around his hardness, bobbing along his length with gusto. He grunted as his hips moved with my mouth. When I scraped my lower teeth on the underside of his shaft, Edward shattered completely. His salty, musky and sweet release coated my throat and I eagerly swallowed all he had to offer. Once he was done, I released him, kissing the head of his now-softening cock. "Happy birthday, Edward."

"Yeah, brain is gone," he mumbled, staring at me. "You sucked it out with that amazing wake up call."

"You like that?" I teased, crawling up his body and curling up next to him.

"Hmmm," he hummed appreciatively, kissing my lips softly. "Best birthday morning ever."

"That's not all," I said, pulling away. I hopped onto the floor and gathered the tray filled with his breakfast. I placed it over his lap. "For you, Dr. Cullen." He arched a brow, giving me a smirk. "It's your birthday, Edward. Let me spoil you for once. You've spoiled me and now it's my turn."

"As long as this is the extent of the spoiling," he chided.

"Nope," I said. "Let me get you the next part of your present while you eat."

"Bella," he whined.

"Hush!" I admonished. I left him to eat in peace, grabbing the bag with his present from the kitchen. My contact at the Wrigley Field asked if I wanted a personalized jersey for Edward. I eagerly said yes and it was delivered to my apartment while I was out shopping with the girls and getting tips on my 'secret present' for Edward. So, the jersey I ordered for him were the same jerseys that the team was wearing today with his name blazoned on the back along with his birth year.

When I got back upstairs, Edward had eaten most of his meal. "Jesus, Cullen. Hungry?"

"Starved," he said, his voice muffled from the omelet that was inside of his mouth. He swallowed and smiled boyishly. "My hot girlfriend gave me an amazing birthday blow job and it drained my energy reserves."

"Oh, jeez," I laughed as I sat back down on the bed. "You are so overdramatic, Edward."

"But you love me," he said, wiping his mouth.

"I do," I smiled. I gave him a peck on his cheek. "Very much, Edward."

"Is that the best you can do?" he teased.

"When you have eggs all over your beard? Yes," I snickered. "Besides, you got a blow job. Doesn't that count for something?"

"I suppose," he sighed. He turned to me, giving me a wink before wrapping his arm around my waist. With a gentle tug, he curled me to his side. "So, what's in the bag?"

"Your present," I replied. "Well, one of them." My shirt was covered by a jacket since it was chilly this morning. "It's a hint to where we're going today."

He pursed his lips and dove into the bag, tearing through the tissue paper inside. Once his fingers grazed the fabric of the jersey, he smiled softly. He pulled it out and unfolded the jersey. "Bella," he breathed.

"You like it?" I asked.

"This is an authentic game jersey," he said, staring at me intently. He flipped the jersey over, gasping loudly. "With my name on it! Bella! This must have cost a fortune."

"So? You've bought me jewelry and you bitch at me when I complain about the cost," I argued. "It's your BIRTHDAY! Let me take care of you and spoil you today." He glowered at me. "Do you want me to take a scissors to that jersey, Cullen?"

"What?! No!" he yelped, holding it to his chest. His green eyes were wild. "I'm just pointing out...that...um...it's a lot, Bella."

"You deserve it, Edward," I murmured, cupping my hand on his cheek. "Now, you need to shower and shave this rat you have growing on your face."

"Sorry. Things have been crazy. Last night was the first night since Jacob's dismissal hearing that I've been able to sleep at home, in my own bed. Crowley turned himself in for selling drugs and Newton is AWOL. We're frantically searching for three new attendings since those assholes decided to try their hands at illegal drug dealing," he snarled. "Jessica has been put on administrative leave. The new nurses that have been hired aren't ready to be on the floor but we need the bodies and man power. The past three days has sucked. To put it mildly."

"I'm sorry," I frowned. "I didn't even see you during the day yesterday. You were working?"

"I was up in the surgical suites. I had to assist on a pretty nasty car accident with an exploratory laporatomy. The poor guy lost his spleen, part of his liver and about a foot and half of small intestine. Plus, he's got a colostomy bag for a few months while his wounds heal. To make matters even worse, he may be paralyzed from the waist down due to the nature of his injury. My dad wanted all hands on deck and he asked for me since I am a trained trauma surgeon. Eight hours in the surgical suite. Eight hours, Bella. My eyes were crossing by the time we finished his last suture."

"Baby," I cooed. "That sucks."

"It does. But, I'm off today and tomorrow before I deal with another whirlwind day of being a doctor and administrator. We need to search for those attendings and well, yeah, um..."

"What is it, Edward?" I asked. I laced my fingers with his.

"Things have been so crazy lately that I forgot to tell you something," he said, a blush creeping over his skin. "It's good news and bad news. I'll start with the bad news." Edward sighed, running his hand through his disheveled hair. "Have you noticed that Dr. Sanchez hasn't been at work since that day we worked on that girl. Maggie?"

"The leukemia girl?" Edward nodded. "Yeah, you covered for him because he was sick," I replied.

"Well, he was in his office and told me that the reason behind his illness. Dr. Sanchez, Eleazar, has colon cancer. He's taking a medical leave," Edward said somberly. "He was at Jacob's hearing but after that, he is going to be off until further notice."

"Will he be alright?" I asked, frowning.

"He hopes so. They caught it early," Edward replied, squeezing his fingers with mine. "Anyhow, Eleazar said that he was thinking of retiring anyway. He may not be back in the ER."

"What does that mean?"

"You're looking at the new head of the emergency department," Edward said, giving me a crooked grin. However, behind that grin was stress and trepidation.

"Congratulations, baby," I said as I snuggled closer to him. "I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you, sweet girl," Edward murmured, kissing my forehead and nuzzling my cheek. "Before Eleazar left, though, he did suggest that I hire an associate head, like I was with him. So, in addition to finding three new attendings, I have to find someone who is willing to work with me as my associate chief of emergency medicine."

"What about Felix?"

"He doesn't want it. I've asked him," Edward chuckled. "I've contacted a friend of mine in Seattle who is looking to relocate since he's also gone through a divorce. Garrett McGovern is a fantastic doctor and an amazing guy. He'd fit in nicely here at Cook County Hospital."

"That's great," I said, giving Edward a warm smile. "Now, we can talk more about this after you shower and get ready for our day together."

"And this is a hint?" he asked, arching a brow.

"A pretty big one, Dr. Sexward," I said dryly. He smiled widely, bounding out of the bed. With a soft kiss to my lips, he darted into the bathroom with his jersey and a pair of shorts. I carried the tray downstairs and made sure that I had the tickets to the ballgame, along with the credentials that I was sent to get us onto the field. While I waited for Edward to finish upstairs, I sent a text to Rosalie.

You have my 'surprise?' – Bella

I have it and will be delivered while you're at the game. You are going to make him cream his boxers! – Ro

This is your BROTHER, Rose. Doesn't that squick you out? – Bella

Nope. I'm living vicariously through you and Eddie. :P – Ro

You could also live in reality with your own hot trainer, Rose – Bella

*Sighs* He's coming over tonight. To my place. Or rather, my parents' place. I want him to try again. Well, at least try to kiss me. Wish me luck – Ro

You won't need it. You'll succeed, Rose. Emmett loves you. Everything about you. Let him in, sweetie – Bella

I know. I'm going to. Anyhow, I'll let you know what happens. Give my brother a birthday kiss on the cheek and a hug from the family. Love you, sis! – Ro

Love you, too, sis! – Bella

I was finishing up my conversation with Rose when Edward came downstairs. He was in his jersey, a royal blue t-shirt underneath and a pair of gray shorts. Held in his hands were his shoes: a pair of royal blue Chuck Taylors. His hair was covered with a Cubs hat with a pair of sunglasses on top. He looked so adorable and young, not like the esteemed doctor he was. He looked more like a college student and it was so perfect.

Not to mention, undeniably sexy.

"So, are you going to give me anymore hints?" he asked as he sat down to put on his shoes.

"Nope. Though, I'm surprised you haven't figured out part of your gift, Edward," I giggled.

"I'm guessing we're going to Cubs/Diamondbacks game today, right?" he asked, his green eyes twinkling.

I nodded, removing my jacket and revealing my own Cubs shirt. His eyes darkened when he saw the outfit I wore. After careful consideration, the girls suggested I wear a skirt since it would be cooler and 'easier access.' Pervs. "You are correct. But first, we're going to Lincoln Park Zoo," I said as I pulled on his hands. I swiped his Volvo keys from the bowl near the garage door. "Oh, and I'm driving."

"What?" he barked.

I laughed, skipping to the driver's side of his car, sliding into the cool leather interior. Edward scowled as he got into the passenger seat. I backed the car out of the garage. The drive to the zoo was relatively short. Edward's fingers were weaved with mine. We wandered around the zoo. Edward told me more about his new position and his friend, Garrett. Listening to the description of Garrett, who just ended his marriage with his high school sweetheart, he sounded perfect for Alice. One of the selling points of getting Garrett to move out here was Alice: a cute, spunky spitfire of a nurse with violet eyes, an awesome bedside manner and a nice body. I shot him a look. Edward smirked, saying he loved my body more and that Alice was not curvy enough for his tastes. She had no boobs and her ass was flat like a pancake.

It was the truth but Edward got a smack to the chest. He shouldn't be looking at Alice's tits or her non-existent ass.

Shortly before one, we left the zoo and I drove us to Wrigley Field. Using the parking pass that was included in my packet, I parked in the private lot designated for VIPs, dignitaries and other various important people. "Bella, what is the deal? These spots are for like famous people," Edward said warily.

"We're famous today," I smirked. I reached into my purse and handed him a lanyard with our credentials to get us into the game. "Happy birthday, Edward. For your gift, you're throwing out the first pitch and singing the seventh inning stretch."

"How? What? Why? Who? Huh?!" he sputtered. He stared at me blankly, blinking rapidly as his mouth fell open. With a snicker, I put the lanyard over his head and gently closed his jaw. "Seriously, sweet girl. How?"

"A couple of weeks back, one of the Cubs bigwigs came into the ER. I treated him for appendicitis along with Dr. Denali. He was grateful for our discretion and caring. Now, before you turn into boss-man, admonishing me for pandering for gifts, I didn't ask for any of this. I just merely said that my boyfriend was a big fan of the Cubs and his birthday was coming up. He asked for the date and this arrived on my doorstep for today," I said with a wide grin.

He blinked at me. His mouth dropped in shock. Then, his mouth closed and his responding grin was blindingly beautiful. "Today I'm not Dr. Cullen. I'm just some dude enjoying his birthday," Edward said as he reached across the console of the car, crushing me to his chest. "Thank you! Thank you! This is the best birthday ever!" His mouth was on mine in a heartbeat, massaging my lips with his. Edward's fingers were tangled into my curls. His tongue slid between my lips, dancing with mine.

We broke apart, breathing heavily. "We probably should head inside. It's nearly time for the first pitch and National Anthem," I said quietly, blushing a deep crimson. "The game can't start until you're there."

"Right," Edward said as he smiled boyishly. With an excitement that I never seen before in him, he nearly ripped the door off the car. Eagerly, he helped me out of the car, nearly running us to the stadium. We were ushered through the turnstiles and into the VIP lounge. We were greeted by the concierge who verified our identities. With a warm grin, she led us to the locker room and out into the Cubs' dugout. I snapped a few pictures of Edward with several of the members of the team. One of the guys went to college with Edward and they yammered for a few minutes before the announcer called for the two teams to come out of their respective dugouts.

The singer walked up to the microphone and began belting out the National Anthem. Afterward, the pitcher for the Cubs handed Edward a ball and guided him onto the pitcher's mound. A few official pictures were taken while the announcer introduced my boyfriend. The pitcher stepped away and Edward smiled excitedly at the catcher. With a flourish, Edward whipped the ball across the plate, earning a low whistle from the catcher. They jogged and met in the middle, shaking each other's hands. Edward laughed and nodded before he walked back over to me.

As we left the field and headed up to the box, I arched a brow at Edward. "What was that about?"

"The catcher asked me if I wanted to join the team. Apparently, I've got a stronger, more accurate fast ball than Carlos Marmol," he snickered. His fingers glided along my arm as until we reached a secluded corner in the maze of hallways beneath the park. Edward pressed me against the wall, pinning me with his hips. His green eyes darkened and he licked his lips. "Do you know what this means to me, Bella?" I slowly shook my head. "This has been my dream for like ever."

"I wanted to make your birthday special," I whispered.

"You have, sweet girl," he purred, dragging his lips along the column of my neck. Gently, he nipped at my earlobe. I squeaked at the feeling of his teeth scraping my skin. "God, I want you, Bella."

"Not here," I moaned wantonly.

"Why not?" he pouted.

"Um, in the bellows of Wrigley Field," I snickered. "Not exactly romantic, Edward. Plus, I have something special planned for when we're done with the game."

"You in a bow?"

"Kind of," I smirked. "Come on, Dr. Sexward. Up in the box, I'll let you grope my boob."

"Now we're talking," he laughed as he cupped my ass, pulling me away from the wall. A few moments later, we were in the booth. I chose all of the typical baseball game fare for food in the box: hot dogs, pretzels, beer, peanuts and popcorn. Edward made himself a plate and sat down. I got a hot dog and a handful of popcorn. I chose some light beer and sat down next to him.

Edward watching a baseball game was a hoot. He was totally in the 'zone.' I was pretty much ignored for a majority of the game. Before, I would have been upset about that but I knew that the past few days had been rough for him and Edward was decompressing. I used the time that he spent focused on the game writing in my journal. I also needed to decompress.

June 20, 2013

So, today is Edward's birthday. My strapping, sexy boyfriend is thirty-four. Though, sometimes he acts like he's twelve. For example, now. I got him tickets to the Cubs/Diamondbacks baseball game. He's sitting here; staring at the baseball game like it was going to disappear or something, randomly cursing the Cubs for their overall suckiness. Scares the crap out of me when he blurts out 'Come on, you fucking douchebags! My dead grandmother can hit the ball harder than that!'

However, he deserves it, the relaxation (as unrelaxing as it is...sorry for your team to be horrible, baby). I intend to make sure that he gets the birthday of a lifetime, spoiling him as much as he's spoiled me. For our entire relationship, Edward's been the one who spoiled me. Now, it's my turn to spoil him. I managed to wrangle up tickets with the assistance from a patient who works for the Cubs' organization. It's a whole experience for him and I can tell that he's enjoying it.

Minus the swearing...and spilt beer.

Things are changing for him. He's been promoted to the Chief of Emergency Medicine. Our former chief was diagnosed with colon cancer and is taking a medical leave, which may turn into his retirement. I'm sad for Eleazar. I will pray for him and that he gets quick and speedy recovery. Eleazar is a great man and a wonderful chief. I'll miss him. I'm happy for Edward but I can tell that he's overwhelmed with his new position. It's been so crazy in the ER, that Edward just told me this morning. He was notified of his promotion nearly two weeks ago. Additionally, he's been inundated with the fallout from Jacob being fired for stealing drugs and the subsequent issue with Crowley, Newton and Jessica. Crowley turned himself in. Newton is missing. Jessica has been placed on administrative leave and will probably lose her job.

Things are changing for me, too. But unlike before, I'm not cowering in the corner, terrified of those changes. I'm embracing them. First off, Angela's pregnant. She and Ben are expecting a bundle of joy in a few short months. As a result, she's moving in with him. Ben's apartment is bigger and in a safer neighborhood. When she told me, I was floored and freaking out. Where would I go? I couldn't afford to stay in the apartment on my own.

Edward, being the brains of our outfit, came swooping in with a solution to all of my problems. Well, at least the living situation. Much to my shock and surprise, Edward asked if I wanted to move in with him. Then, he gave me a gorgeous diamond eternity band as a 'promise' of making me an honest woman. He said that he wants to marry me. Shit, he wants to move in with me. He wants it all with me and I'm elated. I'm scared. I'm...at a loss for words...

Of course I said yes. I'd be a fool if I said no. But the bigger issue is are we going to stay in the brownstone he has currently or move into something bigger. We haven't had the time to discuss it or even look for anything if we are going to move into something on a larger scale. Additionally, I'm still worried about the money situation. I make a decent amount of money from the hospital, but I'm still paying off my student loans. In a relationship, it should be equal. I don't want to feel like I'm being kept by Edward or that he's completely supporting me.

The biggest issue is that will this ruin what I have with Edward? Will he get tired of me after we move in together?

I felt a kiss on my head. I turned, seeing Edward reading over my shoulder. "I won't ever get tired of you, Bella. You're it for me. My girl," he said. "Why the insecurity?"

"Living separately and then moving in together changes things, Edward," I said, biting my lip.

"It does change things, Bella. But not necessarily in a bad way," he said as he gently pressed his lips against mine. "Anyhow, I'm getting ready to sing the seventh inning stretch. You're going to help me."

"What?! No!" I squeaked. "I can't sing."

"Nonsense. I've heard you in the shower," he quipped, tugging on my hands. "You've got a beautiful voice. Besides, most of the fans are drunk off their asses anyway. The Cubs are losing and the only way to cope is to suck down the beer. Come on, sweet girl. Let's sing it up, Sonny and Cher style."

"I've got you, babe," I said resignedly.

"That's the spirit," he snorted. He wrapped me into a warm embrace. "Kind of." I scowled at him, smacking his chest playfully as he dragged me to the booth where the announcers were located. The concierge opened the door and we waited as they finished doing commentary on the last out of the top of the seventh inning. The announcers introduced Edward and much to my chagrin, me. Sharing the microphone, we belted out 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame,' with Edward shouting out "Let's get some runs," at the end of the song.

Unfortunately, they didn't get any runs. They got creamed nine to two. Despite the Cubs losing, Edward had a wonderful time at the game. We had our picture taken with the team and got an autographed baseball.

We didn't want to deal with traffic or the insanity, so we headed to a local diner to eat an early dinner. Plus, Edward had this look in his eyes that indicated he wanted to talk. The last time we had a discussion, I ended up with a ring on my finger and moving in with him. Next thing you know, I'm engaged and we're planning our wedding...

And this is a bad thing because?

We walked into Clarks on Belmont, sitting down in one of the booths near the window. I ordered a chicken sandwich while Edward got a cheeseburger. "Where do you put it?" I teased. "With the amount of food you eat, you should be the size of a house."

"I work out, Bella," he shrugged as he sipped his water. "Thank goodness the gym that Emmett works at is open twenty-four hours. I had a rough overnight shift the day that Jacob was fired. Instead of sleeping, I worked out for two hours at the gym."

"Why didn't you call me?" I frowned.

"I needed to punch a few things," Edward shrugged. "A domestic abuse case came in. A father beat the crap out of his kid and well, I was just mad at the world and cruelty of it all. So, I punched the bag for two hours, sweating out the anger I felt toward that asshole of a dad."

"Was he arrested?"

"He was. The kid was placed into protective custody. His mother's sister is caring for him," Edward sighed.

"What about the mom?" I asked.

"She's dead," Edward whispered. "The police are looking into her case as a possible homicide due to the extent of the injuries that the kid had. Originally it was ruled an accidental death. Now, they think otherwise. Anyhow, I'm not here to talk about my eating habits or shitty days at work. I want to talk about us. About moving in together. Where? When?"

"Oh," I replied.

"Bella, what do you want? I know that Rose is interested in purchasing my brownstone so we could get something together," he murmured, taking my hand in his. "Be honest with me. You won't upset me, Bella."

"My concern is that we won't find anything that would become available when I have to move out of the apartment," I said. "Besides, your brownstone is beautiful."

"It is but it's just me. I want something that represents us," he said fervently. "I've asked my mom to look at the real estate in the same neighborhood. She has a knack of finding awesome deals on homes."

"Why don't we look at some real estate listings?" I offered. "If you want our home to represent us, we should be the ones to find it."

"Really?" he asked, his jade eyes sparkling with happiness.

"Yes, really. But, honestly, finding a home, closing on it and moving in together in matter of weeks is nearly an impossibility," I said. "How about when I move, I just move into the brownstone and we'll get a house together when it's convenient for us."

"I like that," he smiled softly. "That could be honestly the best present you could have ever gotten me. Well, short of telling me that I'm going to be a daddy. You're not pregnant, are you?"

"No, I'm not pregnant," I laughed. "If you must know, I just finished my little friend."

"Damn," he said, giving me an amused smile.

"Besides, I am an old-fashioned girl. My mom said that she wanted grandchildren but she wanted me married first," I said in a teasing tone. However, my eyes were serious. I did want to be married before I had children.

"Okay," he said. He laced his fingers with mine. "Marry me?"

"Edward," I chided. "That was a pitiful proposal."

"I know. It was," he snickered. "But you know I'm going to propose to you. This," he picked up my right hand, kissing my promise ring, "is a clear indication that I'm with you. Forever."

"I'm with you, too, Edward," I whispered, staring into his warm, green eyes. Something clicked between us and the world fell away. Nothing mattered but the man sitting in front of me, holding my hands. His skin was slightly pink from sunburn on his cheeks. His hair was matted from being underneath his baseball cap, but still incredibly sexy. Swirling in his evergreen depths was love, happiness and unadulterated joy.

He cleared his throat and our waiter appeared out of nowhere. "We need our food to go," Edward said in a velvety smooth tone.

"Of course," the waiter replied. "Check, too?"

"Yeah," I breathed, not breaking my gaze with Edward. I didn't even hear the waiter's response. Soon, bags of our dinner were placed on the table along with the check. Edward must have already had his wallet out as he put a $100 bill inside, barking to keep the change. He swept the bags into his hands and helped me out of the booth. We left the diner. Edward was walking briskly. I could barely keep up with him; my legs were too short. "Slow down!"

He stopped abruptly. Turning, he pinned me against the wall of a nearby alley. His eyes were black fire. "Bella, I want you. I need you. I have to get you home," he purred, lightly running his lips along mine. "I want to make love to my girl. I have to, Bella."

I whimpered.

"Get a room!" someone yelled.

"I fully intend to," Edward snapped back. "Now, come on, sweet girl. I need to get you home before we get arrested for public indecency." He pulled away, twining his fingers with mine. We continued our trek back to the car at a slower pace. Edward plucked the keys from my purse and guided me to the passenger side. I didn't fight him. I was on an 'Edward-induced' high. I couldn't drive, even if I wanted to.

The drive back to the brownstone was tense. Not in the sense that we were upset with each other. More like, if Edward touched me, I would have jumped across the console and fucked him senseless on Lake Shore Drive. When he pulled up to his brownstone, I saw Rose's car parked on the street.

Shit! My surprise and Rose's diversion.

"Why is my sister's car parked across from my house?" Edward asked dryly. "I don't want anyone near us right now. I just want you, naked, writhing from my touch."

I'm so going to spontaneously combust.

"Eddie!" Rose squealed as she danced out of the house. "My favorite brother!"

"What do you want?" Edward asked flatly.

"I want to give you your birthday present. Would you mind if I borrow him for a few minutes, Bella?" Rose asked, winking at me.

Yes. "No, go right ahead. I've had him all day and I'd like to take a quick shower," I lied. Edward pouted adorably as Rose linked her arm with his. She physically dragged him away from the brownstone as I slipped inside. As much as I hated being away from him, especially now, I wanted to follow through with my 'surprise.'

I walked upstairs and took a quick shower to hose off the sweat and grime from the game. I didn't wash my hair. Instead, I pulled it up into a messy, sexy bun after I put on my fuchsia negligee and barely-there panties. Edward's bedroom had a slight makeover while we were gone. Rose had changed the sheets. On his normally beige bed were black satin sheets with a black duvet cover. Candles were lit all around the room and twinkle lights from when he first made love to me were back up, lighting the room in a beautifully ambient glow.

I turned on Edward's sound dock and lay down on the bed, mentally psyching myself up for what I was about to do. Edward loves me. He thinks I'm beautiful. No matter what I do, he'll be happy.

Maybe?

His voice filtered up the stairs. "Rosie, I love you and thank you for the random gift, but I really need my girl," he whined.

"It's not a random gift. Well, it is. For what will be my house. That painting will look perfect over the fireplace in the music room," she giggled.

"I never knew your style included 'Dogs Playing Poker,'" he deadpanned.

"It doesn't. I'm kidding, Eddie. My gift and our chat was all a ruse," she snickered. "That painting is Emmett's and well, he wants it back. Go to your girl."

"You suck, Rosie," Edward growled playfully.

"You won't be thinking that when Bella's done with you," she cackled, shutting the door.

"What?" Edward squeaked. I giggled at the sound that came from his mouth. However, I shook it off and tried to look alluring on the bed. Not an easy feat when you're trying to suck things in and hide imperfections. I heard Edward's feet shuffle up the stairs. In a last minute decision, I shook out my hair and plastered on a seductive smile. "Bella?"

"In here," I replied breathily. I sound like a moron. Edward walked into the bedroom and he looked around. His eyes were darting at the candles, the lights, the sheets and finally, me. I smiled slowly. "Take off your clothes, Dr. Sexward. You're in for the ride of your life. Are you truly ready for your birthday surprise?"

A/N: Cliffie! But a good one! I want this lemon to a great one and well, I don't want to rush it. Bella's going to bring the kinky out in her personality. Up next will the kink, along with some stuff at the hospital: introduction of Garrett, hiring new attendings and the Fourth of July at Cook County Hospital. Additionally, Jasper is going to make his return. Will he redeem himself or dig himself further into the ground?

Pictures from this chapter are on my blog (link in my profile). Also, there's a poll up in my facebook group: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation on which bad guy should be redeemed. Join us and vote! Finally, find me on Twitter: tufano79.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.6K 800 28
Edward "The Boss" Cullen and his wife, Bella, survived hell and back. They are looking toward the future, which included a new path for the Cullen Co...
49K 1.7K 62
Cordelia Austin is an extroverted introvert. A red headed girl with a wacky side that seemed to make her stand out. What happens when a new family mo...
100K 2.4K 30
Edward Cullen is the heir-apparent to the most infamous crime families in Chicago. He was notorious for his time with his enemies, his many dates and...
20.1K 1.2K 10
Ronnie is Rosalie's biological baby sister. She was turned by her sister to save her life. After a couple of months being in Forks, Ronnie unexpected...