Chapter Seventeen

This is different from the norm. In all of the stories that I've read or that I've seen, all of the characters are disgustingly perfect unless they are written with very clear flaws. This story is about love (um, duh! Look who's writing it. I'm the queen of romance), and finding it in the least likely place with the least likely person.

Now, this story is based in a hospital. My medical training comes from...WebMD. I'm not a doctor, nor do I claim to be. I'm a music teacher who has a wild imagination and a penchant for all things Twilight (and with this story, added in a mix of ER! I loved Luca Kovac...) Which brings me to my disclaimer: None of this is mine. I'm not, nor ever will be, Stephenie Meyer. If was, I'd be rolling in the dough from her insane imagination that gave us Bella and Edward. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter Seventeen

BPOV

"So you just left," Alice squeaked. "You left Alinea. The restaurant that has a year-long waitlist for reservations."

"Yes, Alice," I said. "Your ex boyfriend was being an ass. We ALL left."

"Damn," she said. "I don't get why he's so hell-bent on hating you, Bella."

"I don't either. But, I'm not going to fixate on it. If Jasper hates me, then fine. As long as his hatred doesn't affect my relationship with Edward or his family, then I'm not going to worry about it," I said strongly. "Based off the reaction of all of the Cullen's, I don't think it'll be an issue. They were all pretty embarrassed with Jasper's behavior. I'm also guessing he got a stern talking-to when he got home. He just received his doctorate in history but he's really stupid."

"He is," Alice spat. "He let me go."

"Yes, he did. What moron would want to lose a wonderful woman like you?" I asked, hugging her. As I hugged her, our cell phones rang. We were getting some coffee from Perkalator. I desperately needed since Edward, despite his promise of just one romp between the sheets, was quite amorous. We eventually fell asleep around three in the morning. I had to get up around eleven to get to work at noon. Bella needed lots and lots and LOTS of coffee. And a sex ban from Dr. Sexward Tattward. Unfortunately, no coffee for us. Checking the phone number, it was a text from the ER. "Crap. Apartment fire."

"Ugh, I hate burn victims," she grumbled.

"Me, too. The smell of burnt flesh and hair takes so long to get out of your nose and clothing," I cringed. My phone dinged again and it was Edward. He was called in since it was a mass casualty situation. "Edward's coming in early. It's all hands on deck, Ali."

"Shit," she spat as we walked quickly back to the hospital, minus our cups of coffee. When we got back to the ER, it was already hopping with several ambulances bringing in smoke inhalation victims. They were divided up into the examination rooms with nebulizers and oxygen. The residents and interns took care of those victims while Eleazar, Felix and, ugh, Jacob, worked on the more serious patients.

Alice and I were called in with Felix, Dr. Denali, to work on a young teenage girl who was caught in her apartment. She had burns on her legs, arms and face. Nothing too severe, but enough to char the skin and perhaps garner some skin grafts. Unfortunately, it was her lungs and swelling in her airway that were causing our concern. She was not getting enough oxygen to her body and her pulse ox was dangerously low. To make matters worse, her airway was swollen. We couldn't intubate her due to the swelling and Felix was talking of performing a tracheotomy.

"Dr. Denali," Alice said as she read the girl's lab report. "She's pregnant." Her eyes were wide and nervous.

"How far along, Alice?" he asked.