Of Sinners & Saints

By paddycarr

"It is not out choices but our actions that define us as sinners or saints." "There is a darkness coming and... More

AUTHOR NOTES
Maps
PROLOGUE
ABEL
MARI
HANS
CAIN
RAZIEL (EDITED)
NIKITA (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
RAZIEL (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
NIKITA (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED) this is where I begin on ahura rwyn
MARI (EDITED)
NIKITA (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
MARI (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED)
NIKITA (EDITED)
RAZIEL (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
MARI (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
MARI (EDITED)
HANS (EDITED)
ABEL (EDITED)
CAIN (EDITED)
MARI (EDITED)
THE END

ABEL (EDITED)

32 6 6
By paddycarr

"Abel!" Nikita had called for him in a reedy tone. "Abel!" She said again at the top of her voice. Why, those in Nirvana could hear her. Abel knew his food was ready. He eventually dragged himself away from the congenial company of the twins. Mary and Jane had urged him to stay up for another while, but Abel's incessant hunger had gotten the better of him, he was starving as his stomach growled again. "I need food" his gut was saying.

"I'll be back," Abel told them as he finished drinking the last of the wine from his cup. The twins had another bottle awaiting his return. That is if they did not drink it all before, he returned that is, which was likely. Abel quickly made his way downstairs, into the kitchen and wasted no time what so ever in settling down and eating. He was so fixated on filling his stomach he didn't even notice Bob and Raziel were no longer in the cottage. "Mm," he delightedly moaned as he ate, "delicious," he pointed out with a mouthful. Ham sandwiches with rippled crisps on the side.

"Eh. . . FYI. . ." Nikita said. "Don't talk with your mouth full," she added quite distastefully. "It's not becoming." Nikita always encouraged good proper etiquette, as she like Abel and the twins had a relatively stringent upbringing.

Abel, on the other hand, had spent enough time away from his adopted home, to pick up some bad habits. Abel shrugged his shoulders up slightly, almost expecting another slap of some description, but Nikita didn't strike him, not this time. A mean glare was enough for her to make a point, Abel understood where Kitty was coming from without hearing her speak a word. "Got it," Abel said once he had masticated.

Nikita began doing the dishes. Abel knew she preferred doing them now, so as when she woke up in the morning there wouldn't be any additional tasks to do. Nikita was usually busy come morning, what with completing mundane tasks in the house and out on the farm.

Abel was finished eating when Raziel and Bob walked back in.

Abel noticed Bob was deep in thought, as he made his way back into the living room. Raziel sat down at the table.

"What is up with him?" Abel proceeded to ask.

Raziel typically ignored the question. "What have we got here," he excitedly gloated, but before anyone could answer him, he had taken a bite to find out for himself. Raziel was just as famished as Abel, maybe more so. The Enlighted did after all live the life of a tramp. Scrounging on the streets. Abel pictured him moving from dustbin to dustbin to find nourishment. A half-eaten apple here a bag of chips there. Whatever he could find, Abel guessed. "Mm... my favourite," Raziel pointed out, "tofu and mustard, jalapeno's and black peppers," he smiled joyously. "This is very tasty," Raziel said as he began to eat. "How did you know?"

"Oh... I have a good memory," Nikita replied sweetly.

"Well thank you, Kitty," Raziel kindly complemented her efforts in between chewing. The Enlighted was fully cognizant of proper table etiquette even his elbows were low.

Nikita was pleased that her endeavours were indeed appreciated by someone this night. "You are quite welcome," she replied with a pleasing smile.

Abel looked strangely at Raziel, "is it not a bit hot?"

"On the contrary," Raziel replied. "It's still a bit mild for my liking."

"Mild!" Abel responded slightly flabbergasted. "That would burn out of my mouth."

"It's all I can taste really. I can only taste something extremely hot and spicy or something sweet and tasty. Besides, each to their own. Am I right?"

"True dat," Abel replied as he took up his near clean plate, only a few crumbs were left. He walked over toward the sink. Rather ungratefully he handed the ceramic plate to Nikita to wash up. "There you go," he said, he was rather insolent not that he meant to be.

"Abel!" Raziel disappointingly scowled at him having to stand for Nikita's defence.

Nikita was left speechless as she lowered her jaw.

"What?" Abel asked. He didn't even realize he was being rude. He was used to someone else cleaning up his own mess, you see. Namely Kai, when his friend decided to clean up that is.

She had a typical mean scowl and grinded her teeth. She quickly turned around and got into Abel's face, she looked very daunting and she also appeared to double in height as she stood on her tip toes. Through gritted teeth she blurted out with venom, "why are you so rude!" Abel coiled back and hunched his shoulders.

"Here we go," said Raziel who found this tension brewing to be amusing, he had a front-row seat for the spectacle.

"Woo. Peace," Abel wisely retorted, making a peace sign. "Peace," he said once again for good measure. He had already tasted Nikita's firm bitch slap once today, he certainly did not want seconds.

"Grr," Nikita growled like a wild dog, and then went back to do the dishes.

"Thanks," Abel said, at least leaving the room on a positive note.

"Abel," Raziel was quick to pull him up. "Make sure you get an early night would you."

"Eh, yeah, sure," Abel responded less than pleased in being told what to do. "Whatever," he rolled his sapphire coloured eyes.

"You would be in a better mood tomorrow if you were not too hungover. I don't want to hear you endlessly complain about your head. Got it?" Raziel leaned back and used a toothpick to clean his teeth.

"Who says I was drinking?"

"Oh, no one said anything, but your breath sure did. Jacobs Creek Chardonnay," Raziel guessed. "If I'm not mistaken." Incredibly it was the exact brand of Chardonnay Abel and the twins were consuming.

"How did you - "

"Know?"

"Yeah," Abel replied.

The smug Raziel merely answered, "I'm psychic I'd have you know."

"Woo, really," an impressed Abel responded somewhat astounded.

"Of course not, your gullible fool. I'm just good at listening," Raziel pointed out. "It's a handy trait I'll have ya know."

"Look. I don't have to ask you for permission to drink now, do I?"

"No, that is true, that is very true, so long as you're not crabby tomorrow, I guess you can do as you please." This was as close to a blessing as Raziel was going to gift him.

"I'll be fine," Abel avowed shooting down his own palm.

"Very well," said Raziel who sat back in the chair. "Is the kettle boiled Kitty, m'dear?" Raziel asked kindly.

"Yeah," Nikita said. "I'll make you a cup."

"Great" Raziel responded. "Just great."

Abel went back into the living room. There he noticed Bob was in his usual spot in the corner. His adopted father was moving his finger down a long scroll he held in his hand. He also had his reading glasses on.

"What have you got there?" Abel inquired at the foot of the stairs one hand on the plain newel.

Bob didn't pay much heed to him, but he did manage a reply. "Ah. . . it's just a list of names," was his adopted father's response, waving his hand in the air. Bob didn't even look up to acknowledge Abel for he was so fixated on that long bit of tea-stained paper. Abel didn't ask a follow-up question, he shrugged his shoulders, as he deemed it to be none of his business.

He walked up the creaky stairs and went back to the twin's room.

"Ya miss me?" He said, poking his head around the door. "Pour us another drink."

"You finished fast," Mary pointed out.

"Very fast," Jane added.

"I was starving," Abel patted his full belly he felt like he might just pop like a balloon. "Not had a bite to eat since yesterday. And that was only a pop tart."

"Right," the twins responded in their own unique way. They continued drinking and scrolling through their music player to pick out another track to sing and dance to.

"How many bottles do you two have left?" Abel asked them. Abel needed to drink to believe what he had been told this night.

"Oh. . . two more," Mary and Jane replied together.

Abel could tell the twins were rather drunk, they were a tad bit lightweight like himself. They had music playing loudly, singing horribly, and dancing badly. Abel at the behest of the twins opened another bottle and with a pop he began to fill his cup.

"So, what are the parties like?" Mary asked plopping down on the floor.

"In the big city?" Jane added following her sister to the carpeted ground.

The pair were ready to listen in eagerly as they sat on the floor and looked up at the only brother figure they ever knew and cared for. Abel felt rather sorry for Kitty and the twins as they rarely got the chance to explore Talamh and all its wonders. Bob would never allow his precious daughters to stray far from home, you could say he was an overly protective parent, yet the Wiseman could not restrain Abel.

"Ah, they're good," Abel informed the twins. "I was at one earlier tonight as it so happens." Abel began to tell the twins about Kai Oblongata's infamous parties. The twins began asking him endless questions.

"Kai's, your friend, right?"

"Correct," Abel coolly replied.

"Was there much drinking at the party?"

"Too much."

"Were there many people there?"

"Too many."

"Oh. . . I would love to have been at a party like that," stated Jane.

"Oh, me too," Mary added all giddy like.

"I'm sure you both would have loved it," Abel replied. "If you were a few years older that is. I mean, if you looked a few years older that is. I know a lot of good people, but I also know a load of bad'ens as well. Letterdam is a dangerous cesspit you are safer here."

"I'm sure," Jane and Mary typically said in sync.

"Were they playing any drinking games?" Mary asked.

"Oh. I love drinking games," Jane followed her up.

There was that vexatious look Abel was familiar seeing. How he missed it.

"We like to play spin the bottle when we drink," said Mary.

Both the twins then looked at each other and then they looked at the enticing empty bottle that lay invitingly on the floor.

Abel knew what they were going to ask next.

"Want to play spin the bottle?" The blurted out in a race to beat the other.

Abel wanted to shout NO WAY! Shoot this thought down immediately before it could materialize. Abel thought it would be too harsh, it's best if he let them down gently. "Eh. . . maybe another night," he suggested rolling his eyes.

Both twins understandably bemoaned.

"Ah, you're no fun," they both said in a huff.

"You used to be cool," said Mary.

"I'm still cool," Abel informed them.

"Well, what drinking games were played at Kai's party then?" Jane put to him.

"A game called kings," Abel said. "If you must know."

"Kings" they both replied, again at the same time, scrunching up their little noses and pulling a face of bewilderment. They had never heard of this game before, they were intrigued, to say the least.

"It's the number one way to get properly fucked up."

"Oh. . . " the twins said together, a rather drawn out sigh. They covered the mouths with their hands as if they had said something wrong.

"What is it?" Abel asked not realizing what he had done.

"You said a swear." They both informed him.

"Whoops," Abel belatedly covered his mouth with his hand.

Like giddy school girls the twins both laughed out loud. They had heard it all before. All sorts of unacceptable language. After all, the twins were much older than Abel. They aged, but their age progression was slow.

"So how do you play Kings?"

"Well," Abel begun. "First you need a pack of playing cards."

"Oh. No," Abel staunchly responded shaking his head. "We're not playing Kings," he was obstinate about this. He had no idea what was in store for him tomorrow, he wanted to remain relatively sober, go to bed soon. Hopefully, have a good night's sleep and avoid the dreaded hangover. That was his strategy at least. The last thing he wanted was to hear Raziel say; "I told you so."

"Oh, why not," the twins continuously moaned.

Abel didn't want to tell them that he simply didn't want to play, that would be sort of uncouth. He came up with another good reason why they couldn't play kings, a rather logical reason. "Well," Abel proceeded, "we also need a lot of drink to play, and... we only have two bottles left so... I'm sorry there is just not enough drink to play." There, that should simmer them down.

"So, I guess we can't," said Mary.

Both the twins looked rather gutted as they slumped an inch.

"No, but I can tell you the rules if you like, and maybe next time we can play," Abel kindly suggested. "Or you two can play on your own."

"We'll hold you to that," they both replied in their own unique way.

The twins listened keenly as Abel proceeded to divulge the rules of kings.

"An Ace is a waterfall. This starts with everyone chugging. Then the person who picked the card can stop whenever he/she wants. This allows the next person to stop when he/she wants and so on and so on. This version is classic because it does a great job of getting everyone plastered. While also providing opportunities to berate people who suck at chugging."

"Two: Two has and always will be the classic "you". This means that whoever picks the two card gets to choose anybody they want in the game to drink."

"Three: Three is another staple in Kings Cup, "me". Pick a three and you have to drink."

"Four: The four card incorporates the ladies, by telling them they are "whores" and have to drink."

"Five: Bust a jive. One of the best. The person who picks the card must do a dance move. Then the next person must do that dance move and add to it. This continues until someone screws up and must drink. Anytime you can get drunken uncoordinated people dancing you have to do it."

"Six: Six is "dicks" All the guys prove that yes they are packing by drinking."

"Seven: Seven equals heaven. All players reach for the sky. The last person must drink. Great card when people aren't paying attention, or someone is too drunk to realize a seven was picked."

"Eight: Eight is mate. The player who picks the card chooses another player to be their mate. This means when one of them drinks they both drinks. Perfect for letting the fine girl across the table know you are interested."

"Nine: Nine can either be one of the best or worst cards depending on how creative the group is. It is called "bust a rhyme". The simple version has the player who picked the card say a word and everybody has to say a word that rhymes with it. Say for example the word is bite. Other players would say fight, kite, tight, right, etc. This goes on until somebody cannot think of a word that rhymes."

"Ten: Ten is categories. The player who picked the card chooses a category. Then everyone goes around and says something that fits in the category. Good categories to use include types of liquor, sex positions, and types of cereal (there are tons of different cereals). Whoever cannot think of anything in the category has to drink."

"Jack: This card is the reason to play the game. Jack represents the game "never have I ever." Everybody puts up three to five fingers. To start the person who picked the card says something they have never done. Then if you have done it you put your finger down. The game continues around the circle as players continue with more "never have I ever." The first person with all their fingers down loses and must drink. This is a great opportunity to get to know people better, call out friends, and hear ridiculous stories. It doesn't get much better than hearing one girl say to another, never have I ever blacked out then slept walk down a flight of stairs, broke into a random girl's room."

"Queen: Queen is questions. The player who picks the card starts by asking anyone a question. This player then asks anyone else a question. This process continues until someone fails to ask a question. Questions should be as absurd and vulgar as possible to trip up other players into either laughing or answering the question."

"King: Finally, the King. The player who picks a King gets to "make a rule". The rule can be anything but must always be followed until another King is picked and the rule is replaced by another. If the rule is not followed the person, who broke the rule has to drink."

"Phew," Abel sighed after explaining the rules of kings, it felt like he had been talking forever. He even got sick of his own voice. Unusually, the twins had sat still and listened. They asked him to slow down his speech and repeat a rule a couple of times. Other than that, the twins listened to Abel as he explained the rules clearly to them. Mary and Jane jotted down what they needed to know on a colourful notepad near at hand.

"Oh, that does sound like fun," they said again in a giddy fashion.

"Next time," Abel nodded his head. "I promise you," his hand on heart, "we can play. It's a fun game even better when there are plenty of people to join in."

"Fair enough," the twins replied in their own unique way.

Everyone took a drink.

"Did you play that game at the party?" Mary asked.

"Na, not this time. I left just as they started playing."

"You left," said the twins looking at each other with disbelief etched onto their faces.

"Why on Talamh did you leave!"

"It sounded like such a cool party."

"Oh, it was, but eh, I-I was getting a bit of a headache, ya see, and needed some fresh air so naturally I left."

"Is that when you met Raziel?"

"Yeah," Abel reminisced about the Assassin with yellow eyes back in Letterdam. "I met Raziel outside the flat. He said I had to go with him, for what purpose I still don't know."

"Raziel brought you here?" Jane pointed out the obvious.

"Yeah," Abel said as he poured himself another drink.

"And Raziel didn't tell you why he took you here?" Mary put the question him.

"Nope."

The twins looked at Abel expecting him to say more, but he didn't. He was not going to tell them how close he came to peril. Again, it was time to change the subject, he felt. "All right," Abel said having a change of heart. "Let's play spin the bottle," he thoughtfully suggested, just to keep the twins happy.

This brought a delightful smile to their cute faces.

Mary proceeded to grab one of the empty bottles. "OK," Mary said passing the bottle from one hand to another allowing her sister to divulge the rules.

"You're allowed three truths," Jane stipulated holding up three fingers.

"And then you have to take a dare," Mary finished off her sister's sentence, as per usual.

"Fair enough," Abel shrugged his shoulders understanding the stipulations paying them a warm smile as ever.

"Let's begin," the twins suggested in earnest.

"I'll go first," said Mary as she spun the bottle.

The three so–called siblings began to play truth or dare. Without a care. This is bonding. Then the bottle landed on him.

Great.

"Truth," he said which was ironic dont you think? For Abel was withholding the truth from the twins.

Here we go.

Here we bloody go.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

300 63 29
In a world where select few can manipulate Yin and Yang energy, equilibrium has been maintained by fair treatment to users of both sides. In recent y...
12.7K 617 25
An initiate angel prophesied to save the world, and a low-class demon send to stop her. But something about it all doesn't sound alright. And for som...
1 1 1
This is a story of a normal seventeen-year-old girl forced into a war between good and evil. At seven they separate her from her twin brother by a st...