Special Someones

By mrbunnyban

Xue Ge, delinquent transfer student, just wanted to score the most beautiful girl in class. Because, well, he... More

Epigraph
Chapter 1 Migration
Chapter 2 Weird
Chapter 3 Beethoven's Fifth
Chapter 4 Pathfinding
Chapter 5 Appetizers
Chapter 6 Delta
Chapter 7 Musical Chairs
Chapter 8 Excessive
Chapter 9 False leads
Chapter 10 Spinner
Chapter 11 Open Season
Chapter 12 Heart to heart
Chapter 13 Nuclear
Chapter 15 Evidence
Chapter 16 Dilemma
Chapter 17 D-Day
Chapter 18 Hunted
Chapter 19 Escape
Chapter 20 Respite
Chapter 21 Sanctuaries
Chapter 22 Glimmers
Chapter 23 Cramped
Chapter 24 Tumult
Chapter 25 Pact
Chapter 26 Rally
Chapter 27 Flight
Chapter 28 Negotiations
Chapter 29 Resolve
Chapter 30 Assertion
Chapter 31 Epilogue
About Matthias
.

Chapter 14 Suspicion

76 7 23
By mrbunnyban

After school, study group at the canteen.

Xue Ge was looking really grumpy.

Well, he had certainly reason to be, considering the pain in his hand. But Jennifer had another guess why. "Don't be like that. We have to make up for the classes you two missed."

They were in the middle of Matt's tutoring session.

"You are both too cruel." Xue Ge slouched over workbooks. "Today stress like mad, okay? Cannot have break ah?"

Matthias said, "not if you keep speaking with grammar like that." And corrected his English.

"Matt, you are pushing me too hard!" Xue Ge whined.

"come on sit straight. you have to do it."

"I don't care, I cannot already! At least, give me chocolates again," Xue ge pleaded.

Jennifer's eyebrow twitched. Is he asking Matt to pamper him?

"are you sure. i was trying to fade that out," Matt said.

"I don't care already. I want I want I want!"

"alright fine."

Jennifer nearly fell out of her chair when Matt pulled out a packet of M&Ms. "Matt, you're going to reward him with an M&M every time he answers correctly, right?"

"close. i'm going to reward him every time he exhibits attentive behaviours. i will praise behaviours that indicate that he is paying attention and trying his best. such as obey instructions and sit at attention," Matt said.

He slid a list of rewardable behaviours in front of Xue Ge.

"I really don't think that's appropriate Matt," Jenn said.

"Haiyer... What's the problem now?" Xue Ge asked.

I cannot even count the number of problems here, Jenn thought. "Xue Ge, Matt is using classic Lovaas-style A-B-A. It's a teaching technique used for training people with autism."

"...So? I get chocolate right?" Xue Ge had spoken in Mandarin.

"...autism and dogs. DOGS, Xue Ge. You're trading your dignity for chocolates," Jennifer said with emphasis.

"What is dignity?" Xue Ge asked.

"Face. Eating chocolates like a dog makes you lose face." Jenn was sure that would convince him.

"Really?" Xue Ge's eyes widened briefly, then he eyed the bag of M&Ms. "...No lah, I don't see how it would."

You really don't see how or you just want to eat chocolates? Jenn fumed, Pig!

Matt, "i may be able to understand some Mandarin now but practice your English while you're with us Xue Ge."

"Yes, teacher. I try remember."

"i will try to remember," Matt said.

"I will try to remember."

"Thank you for correcting yourself. Have an M&M." Matt pressed an M&M into Xue Ge's waiting lips.

I knew it! I called it from the start! Jenn said, "Can you at least not feed him M&Ms like he's a dog Matt?"

Or your lover.

In response, Matt and Xue Ge stuck out their tongues at her.

"alright let's continue. sit straight... Good sitting." Matt rewarded him with another M&M, direct to his mouth.

"Ruff!" Xue Ge mimicked panting like a dog while looking at Jennifer.

Jenn got up. "Excuse me, I think I also need a break." From idiots!

#

School gates. Most of the students had gone home, so it wasn't overcrowded with cars as usual.

"I cannot believe you two made me go for volleyball practice as well. I'm injured!" Xue Ge said to Jenn in Mandarin while waving goodbye to Matt.

"Only your hand. So you did footwork. By the way, even if Matt isn't here you should practice speaking English," Jenn said.

"Give me chocolate then I consider."

Jennifer thought, Fat chance. "I don't have any."

"If not... how about reward me with a kiss?" Xue Ge leaned in with puckered lips.

Fatter chance. Jennifer pushed his lips away.

"Hmph. Reject me again. One day I may give up and find someone new."

Jenn laughed. "Who would want you?"

She immediately regret asking that.

"...I'll just go now," Xue Ge said, letting the moment of awkwardness pass, "See you tomorrow, Jenn."

#

Xue Ge and Jenn were in the park again at night, sitting on the same bench.

"Jennifer. I have a confession to make," Xue Ge said.

"What is it?"

"Jennifer... I like someone else. I..."

Please don't say it..., Jennifer thought.

Xue Ge, "...I..."

Please, no...

Xue Ge, "...I..."

...Erm?

Xue Ge, "...I..."

"...Okay, just say it already," Jenn blurted out.

"Jenn, I'm pregnant."

"...har?"

Xue Ge's belly instantly ballooned up to pregnant proportions. "I'm carrying Matthias's child."

"Harrrr???"

Xue Ge sniffled. "I'm sorry, Jenn. I have to follow my heart."

"But--"

Matthias suddenly appeared in a groom's suit, and it was daylight. "Xue Ge, let's get married!"

"Of course!" Xue Ge was also dressed in a groom's suit, and the two now stood at an archway in front of a priest.

"But--"

The priest said, "Since it is your intention to enter the covenant of blah blah blah, say the vows."

"I, Matthias Williams, take you, Tan Xue Ge, to be my wife."

"I, Tan Xue Ge, take you, Matthias Williams, to be my husband."

"You may kiss," the priest announced.

"Don't I get to object or something?" Jenn asked.

Nope. Xue Ge and Matthias kissed. Mendelssohn's Wedding March begun to play. Then the two drove off in a car covered in ribbons into the sunset.

"Good bye Jennifer!" Xue Ge & Matt said together.

Jennifer stood at the archway, dumbfounded. "But... what about me?"

Jennifer woke up with a fright and sat straight up. Sweat was dribbling down her face.

She slapped herself to make sure she was fully awake. What type of stupid dream was that???

Jennifer switched on the bedside lamp, and peered at her calendar. Feb 11 had been crossed out, and Feb 14 was still highlighted with a very big pink heart.

Two days left. And I'm further away than ever.

#

Tuesday, Feb 12

Between lessons, Jennifer had made it a point to check on Xue Ge's progress. She was responsible for tutoring him on half the subjects, after all. She was there to take notes what Xue Ge needed tutoring on later, but she noticed Matt rolling his shoulders now and again.

"Your shoulder pain is it?" Xue Ge asked.

"sore after all the spiking practice yesterday. aren't you sore too. you only did legwork after all," Matthias responded.

"Of course lah. Sore until father die." To Jenn, Xue Ge asked, "You leh? Not sore meh?"

"Not really. I haven't been pushing so hard lately as I've also got coaching duties for the new recruits."

"Like that... Are we holding you back, Jenn?" Xue Ge asked furtehr.

"Don't think of it like that. I'm just investing my time in the new hopefuls."

"i can give you a massage to help reduce the soreness. then you do the same for me," Matt suggested.

"Wah, good idea Matt..." But Xue Ge's eyes met Jennifer's. "Uh, maybe just show me how?"

Matt caught the look Jennifer and Xue Ge were sharing before they could hide it. "never mind. forget i said anything."

#

At the end of the next period, Jenn got up and turned around to check on Xue Ge's progress again. She was greeted with the sight of Xue Ge massaging Matthias's shoulders. She knocked the table with her knuckles to get Xue Ge's attention.

Xue Ge and Matt looked towards the noise, but Xue Ge quickly looked away again when he saw her. With Matt looking at her, Jenn put on a fake smile and gave a wave.

"yes Jenn."

"How about I take over from Xue Ge? His arm is hurt, after all." Seriously, giving a massage should actually hurt.

Xue Ge gave her with a look that asked, Really?

Matt looked at Xue Ge's bandaged arm. "good point. just use your good hand Xue Ge."

Xue Ge complied, and let go of Matt's right shoulder.

I won't be beaten so easily. Jennifer walked over, and patted the side of Xue Ge's thigh.

Xue Ge stared at Jennifer in shock.

"Make room, don't just stare at me," Jennifer instructed.

Xue Ge obeyed. Jenn sat on his chair next to him, and worked on Matt's right shoulder.

Matt squirmed. "what Jennifer what are you doing."

"Sit still and be quiet. You obviously can tolerate Xue Ge giving you a massage now."

"... huh. i wonder why," Matt said.

Jennifer rolled her eyes and pressed her fingers in extra hard. Well, duuuuuuuh. Mr I-don't-like-massages-but-suddenly-I-like-massages-from-a-cute-guy. What a big mystery!

Jennifer noticed there was a lot of whispering around them, and in the corner of her eye should could see her fellow classmates pointing and staring. It occurred to Jennifer then to take a look at Xue Ge to her left. He was looking away from her and his ears were bright red.

What was I thinking? We're really close together right now. Jennifer decided to just continue on until the teacher arrived.

#

Just before recess, Xue Ge's phone message tone pinged. A message from the 'Goddess': "Meet me near the sports shed at recess."

Xue Ge sighed. She definitely wants to scold me.

#

Jennifer was standing by the shed when she saw Xue Ge approaching. And here he is. Looking less enthusiastic about meeting a girl alone than usual. "Hey. We need to talk."

"I know you want me not to give him false hope, but I cannot stand to see him sad," Xue Ge responded.

You must have prepared answers on the way here, Jenn figured. "Why can't you stand to see him disappointed, Xue Ge? Friends shouldn't always expect to get massages from each other."

"Both of us had a really hard time yesterday. Give us some slack. Okay?"

"Is it really okay to keep doing this to him? Did you think of his feelings in the long term?"

"I'm sorry Jenn. I know you asked me not to give him false hope, but I want to care for him in my own way too. If there's nothing else, I'm going." Xue Ge turned to leave.

Not yet. "How much do you care for him, Xue Ge?" Jenn demanded.

He stopped and turned back, showing off his bandaged arm. "Enough to let him bite me. Good enough? Can you respect my decision now?"

"Good enough? It's too good, Xue Ge. You care too much."

Xue Ge narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms. Waited.

What am I doing? "I'm sorry. Forget I said anything. Let's go and eat," Jenn apologised.

Jennifer walked past Xue Ge towards the canteen.

But Xue Ge caught her arm. "Jenn. That's not fair. Explain. Please."

Why am I hesitating? Jenn took a deep breath. "Xue Ge, how long have you been watching Matthias feed pigeons?"

Xue Ge's face was now one of shock. "When did you see me watching him?"

I can't back down now. "I'm not going to tell you how many times I saw you watching him because I want you to answer me honestly."

Xue Ge fell silent.

"Answer me, Xue Ge."

Xue Ge mumbled, "...Every day since I first saw him do it. About two weeks."

Why am I not surprised anymore? "Don't you think that's not normal?" Jenn asked.

"I was curious why he did that, that's all. Don't read so much into it."

"Isn't the reason he does that obvious by now? You know he likes aviation and likes to draw the birds. Why would you keep watching?"

"It's still interesting to watch. If it wasn't interesting, he wouldn't feed the birds either."

Jennifer had had enough of the excuses. "Xue Ge. You're falling for him."

Those words hit Xue Ge like a rock. "How can you think such a thing?"

"Because I used to do the same thing! Because I had fallen for him," Jenn admitted.

Xue Ge had no comeback. He couldn't even look at Jenn anymore.

Jenn wasn't done yet. "You know what else? You're not the first person Matt's had a crush on. That's why I know he likes guys."

"How is that relevant now?"

"Because the first guy he had a crush on pushed him away! You're not the first guy he liked. You're just the first guy who liked him back!"

Xue Ge paced for a while, looking as if he had something to say. Some counter. But he didn't. He just said, "I'm going to eat."

And he left her alone by the sports shed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

506 48 47
The story flows with 3 young people , Their fate might be the will of the universe. Do they live in a happy life? Do they have a happy ending? STRICT...
1.9K 184 30
In this heartfelt and thought-provoking tale, we meet two individuals whose paths couldn't be more divergent. There's a young boy who harbors a deep...
26.5K 1.1K 17
"It was the best orgasm I've ever had. It was so intense that for a second there, it felt like my soul would escape through my nipples." Luke and Dan...
1.5K 102 25
When Samuel finds himself lost and incapable of facing his problems and the whole lot of insecurities he'd built up from childhood, he comes to reali...