Crescendo: A Fantastic Beasts...

By xAtelox

It's 1927 when Tina receives a letter from Newt informing her that he will be returning to New York. During h... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57

Chapter 49

1.8K 65 12
By xAtelox

       Tina sat in the living room, filling out a form for a request to be employed as an Auror for the Minstry of Magic. Her white-gold Thunderbird quill flashed across the parchment, making a soft, repetitive, scratching sound. She'd completed the fields requiring personal information so far, such as name, date of birth, and height, but stopped at the segment labeled citizenship.

       She frowned as misgivings and doubts filling her. She was of course still an American, she had always been, and this concerned her. She thought that it would effect her eligibility to apply to be an Auror, but Newt had assured her that there were many people not from Britain who still worked at the Ministry. 

       Her other worry was about the fact that she was technically a criminal on the run from the American law. Both Newt's and her friendship with Jacob had violated the law, which strictly stated that relations with non-magic people were forbidden. However, as there were no such laws in Britain, maybe it wouldn't matter as much.

       Tina sighed, and her quill hovered over the parchment. She scribbled down  'American' in the blank space, and chewed anxiously at her bottom lip. This was the one thing that could prevent her from being an Auror at the Ministry. There was no way she would be reinstated back at MACUSA, as this was already her second strike. If she couldn't find a job here, then she would have to uproot and find another, that was neither here nor in America.

       "They won't take it that seriously," a voice spoke from behind her.

       Tina started, and twisted around to see Newt leaning his forearms on the back of the couch, where she was sitting. His hair was flopped over one green eye, and he had a crooked, reassuring smile on his lips.

       "I think they will," Tina responded despondently. "I'm a criminal, remember?"

       "Not an international one," Newt argued. "That title only applies to you in America, which you most certainly are not in."

       Tina had to admit that he was right, but worry was still gnawing away at her. If she was unsuccessful in acquiring a job here, then she'd have to look in other places, maybe even places that were a lot further away. And that would mean having to leave Newt.

       " know what you're thinking," he told her, and he walked around the couch to sit down beside her. "But you mustn't lose hope. You're strong, independent, and skilled. You've always had a belief in yourself, even when others couldn't see it. The Ministry will be sure to hire you, they could use people like you. And if they don't, well, then that's their loss."

       Tina smiled at Newt, his faith in her warming her. "Thanks," she murmured softly. "But it really all depends on what happens tomorrow. I'm going in for an interview, and that's when I'll know whether I'm hired or not."

       "Theseus is conducting the interview," Newt told her bracingly. "I know how he is. He'll let you join, no doubt about that. You might even be able to be on the investigation squad."

       "I'll make it work," she said, feeling more confident with his support.

       "I know you will. I've never met anyone more headstrong in my entire life. And I'm not just saying that to be nice," he added, blushing slightly.

       "That's good to know," she said.

       A faint mewling sound from outside distracted her. It was definitely a cat of some sort. This was odd, as there weren't many strays on this street. The shrill, desolate meow sounded again, this time louder, and accompanied by other mews.

       Newt tipped his head to the side, listening intently. He was frowning, and a slight crease appeared between his eyebrows. "That sounds like a Kneazle," he said. "Strange."

       He got up from the couch, and Tina followed him. Newt slowly pushed open the front door, and his eyes widened. The brunette peeked around his shoulder and gasped lightly. 

       Three bedraggled, cat-like creatures with execpetionally large, triangular ears paced back and forth in front of the steps. Their pelts were matted and knotted, and their ribs could be seen poking out from underneath their thin fur. The biggest one was dark gray and flecked, another one was speckled with a light, silvery gray, and the smallest was yellow and spotted. They all looked quite unwell, and Tina suspected that they had not eaten for a long while.

       The three cats banded together and shrunk back as Newt and Tina appeared in the doorway, and the largest one hissed and extended a threatening paw with claws unsheathed. 

       Newt looked them over thoughtfully, and concern shone in his eyes. "Those are Kneazles all right. It's unusual though. Kneazles are usually very solitary, and even ferocious. The three have to have been through a hard time for them to group together like that."

       "I bet their old owners kicked them out," Tina said compassionately. "They look like they've been on the streets for weeks."

       "Maybe months, even," Newt said.

       He slowly approached the group of scared Kneazles and crouched down, reaching out a careful hand. "It's okay," he murmured. "I'm not going to hurt you."

       The Kneazles hissed and pressed themselves to the cold, concrete ground, arching their backs. The fur along their spines was lifted, and Tina could tell they were frightened. She felt a stab of sympathy for the creatures, imagining all the terrible ordeals that they must have gone through to be in this shape. 

       "I'm not going to hurt you," Newt said again. "I'm – we're here to help you."

       The tiny, yellow Kneazle slowly crept forward. Its eyes were large with fear, but hope sparkled in thier green depths. It mewled quietly, uncertainly, and edged forward pawstep by pawstep.

       "That's it," Newt coaxed. 

       The other Kneazles followed the yellow one's lead. They stalked forward and kept their gazes directly and warily fixed on Newt and Tina. Step by step, all three Kneazles drew to a halt at their feet, keeping their large ears pricked. Their lion-like tails flicked back and forth, like a metronome. 

       "Kneazles have an excellent sense of character," Newt informed quietly, as to not startle the felines. "They can detect suspicious people in an instant."

       He stretched out his hand and gently pet the yellow one's head, lightly drifting his fingertips over its fur. The Kneazle meowed again, and purred slightly. Tina walked slowly up to the other two, and bent down to gently pet the dark gray one. 

       The creatures seemed to be warming up to them, and maybe even starting to take a liking to them. The silver one wound itself cautiously around Newt's legs, and when he didn't show any signs of aggression, it moved more confidently, its blue eyes brightening. 

       "They can make highly faithful pets if they happen to like the witch or wizard," he said. "These three seem to be liking us, so far."

       Tina stroked her finger through the largest Kneazle's dark, tangled, fur. "Do you think we'll be able to keep them?" she asked. "They look friendly."

       Newt frowned thoughtfully, and carefully parted the thick fur at the neck of the cat. "No tags," he informed. "Either their previous owners really did abandon them, or they're strays. If we take them in, I'll need a license to be able to domesticate them."

       Tina gazed down at the Kneazle she was petting. "We should. They need help," she said.

       "That they do. I was thinking the same thing. Well, shall we see how they like the apartment?" he said, straightening up.

       He stood up and cracked open the front door further, inviting all three of the Kneazles to go inside. They shared a glance at each other, green eyes that met blue that met amber. Then, as if they shared one mind, they padded forward in sync and stepped lightly into the house. 

       Newt and Tina followed, leaving the door wide open in case they wanted to leave. The felines sniffed around curiously, scoping out the room. They seemed much more relaxed now, as they had gained each other's trust, but their ears were still pricked alertly.

       "They're fancying the apartment," Newt said.

       Tina shot him a curious glance. "How do you know that?"

       "Thier tails," he nodded to the cats' tails, all of which ended in a plumed tuft. "When the tips are spread out, that means they're pleased about something."

       Tina peered closer, and the tail tips were indeed forked and split. The Kneazles prowled around the living room, poking their noses into the corners and rubbing their scent on the furniture. 

       Then they padded back to Newt and Tina, with the largest one in the lead, and sat in an orderly line at their feet. They stared unblinkingly up at them, eyes stretched wide. Their fur was smooth now, and their hackles had been lowered, showing that they no longer felt threatened. The Kneazles all began to purr imploringly, filling the room with a low, rumbling, and even melodious thrum. They did this for a moment or two longer, and faded off one by one, and stared intensely at them again.

       Newt grinned broadly, and turned to Tina, both pleased and happy. "That means they're ours now."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.7K 3.1K 51
Newt's travel ban was not in place until after his book was published and he was able to visit Tina in New York before then. They become close, very...
446K 20.3K 53
Upon his return to Britain from his adventure in New York, Newt Scamander meets an unusual, very unusual witch, one he knows from long ago during his...
130K 3.6K 26
Newtina Fanfiction: Newt has come back to New York after a year in England, where he has finished his book and returned to see a certain person. But...
53.5K 1.5K 26
Newt and Tina are on an adventure of there own in Europe! Finding out more about each other's pasts, Grindelwald and their feelings towards each othe...