ICARUS - Hawks x Reader

By WombatSquid

"Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew." -Jeremy Robert Johnson He was your Icarus, and you... More

A/N
PROLOGUE
ONE: Untouchable
TWO: Birds of a Feather
THREE: The Nest
FOUR: The Start of a Routine
FIVE: Graceful
SIX: Wager
SEVEN: Slip Ups
EIGHT: Anguish
NINE: Acceptance
TEN: Focus
ELEVEN: Relief
TWELVE: One Whole Bird
THIRTEEN: Dancing in the Clouds
ANIMATION SCREEEEEEE
FOURTEEN: Patience is a Virtue
FIFTEEN: Us
GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUUUUUUUYS
SEVENTEEN: Potential
EIGHTEEN: Panties in a Twist
NINETEEN: Against the World
TWENTY: Exhausting
TWENTY ONE: Parties and Plus Signs
TWENTY TWO: A Little...
TWENTY THREE: Butt
TWENTY FOUR: Estranged
TWENTY FIVE: Insecurities
TWENTY SIX: Shotgun
TWENTY SEVEN: Sentimental
TWENTY EIGHT: Four
TWENTY NINE: Once We're Out of Here
THIRTY: When Skies are Grey
THIRTY ONE: (H)armed
THIRTY TWO: Paperwork
THIRTY THREE: Nowadays
THIRTY FOUR: Hawkward
THIRTY FIVE: Divulge
THIRTY SIX: Jetsam
THIRTY SEVEN: Unwanted Answer
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL..?
THIRTY EIGHT: White Knight
THIRTY NINE: Pleasant Surprise
FORTY: De(ni)mise
FORTY ONE: Talk
FORTY TWO: Two Sides of the Same Coin
New Costume A/N
FORTY THREE: The Not-Date
FORTY FOUR: Letting Go
FORTY FIVE: Recommendation
FORTY SIX: Key
FORTY SEVEN: Odd
FORTY EIGHT: Plus One
FORTY NINE: Thanks For the Meal
FIFTY: Cross the Line
FIFTY ONE: Not Feeling It
FIFTY TWO: Give Me a Reason
FIFTY THREE: It's Always Been You
FIFTY FOUR: That Damn Smile
FIFTY FIVE: Ideology
FIFTY SIX: Opening Act
FIFTY SEVEN: Collateral
FIFTY EIGHT: Assistant
FIFTY NINE: Smoke Break
SIXTY: One More Secret
SIXTY ONE: The Seat
SIXTY TWO: Sunburst
SIXTY THREE: Only Human
SIXTY FOUR: Tomorrow
SIXTY FIVE: Reservations
SIXTY SIX: In...
SIXTY SEVEN: ...But Not Out.
SIXTY EIGHT: Desperation
SIXTY NINE: When The World Falls Down
SEVENTY: Hope(less)
SEVENTY ONE: Eventually
SEVENTY TWO: Reunion
Final A/N
ALT END P1 - Like This
Alt End P2 - Routine

SIXTEEN: PDA

21K 881 1.3K
By WombatSquid

“Holy fucking shit...You're real…” Hawks murmured; eyes wide as he slowly circled around the very confused Tokoyami.
“Yes..?” The avian-headed student coughed and straightened himself up. “It's an honour to finally meet you, Mr. Hawks. I am Tokoyami Fumikage.” His black cloak fluttered a little as he bowed respectfully, but my dear boyfriend was too busy to notice the formalities; no doubt cooking up a bunch of ridiculous stunts in his head.

“Can you fly?” I could only sweatdrop as the poor boy shook his head.
“No. I'm afraid I cannot.”

What the hell are you thinking, bird brain?

“Damn...I'll have to buy some kind of harness…” Mumbling to himself, Hawks threw his arm and wing over Tokoyami and gave him one of his boyish grins. “Can't you just picture it, kid? One whole bird..!” He swept his hand out dramatically, as though he were royalty showing off his kingdom. Tokoyami gave me a concerned look, but I just nodded once; reminding him of my earlier warning.
“Uh...Yes. One...whole bird…” As Hawks continued fantasising about ridiculous ventures, a familiar swirl of black erupted from the first year’s chest; forming it's shape with excited red eyes.
“Glowing lady!” Dark Shadow cheered; it's somehow solid form crashing into my body for a hug. I chuckled as it nuzzled into me and wrapped my arms around the sweet little quirk.

“Nice to see you too, cutie.” I cooed; extremely aware of the fact that Hawks was now completely silent and looking less than impressed.
Please excuse Dark Shadow. He seems to be awfully fond of you since the exam.” Tokoyami sighed; a slight pink showing through the darkness of his cheeks. Despite having informed Hawks of his new intern's quirk, he was still taken aback.

“Two in one, aye..?” His lips puckered into a childish pout as he watched me smother the sentient quirk with affection, but he didn't say anything more about it. Not in that moment, anyway.

We had met up with Tokoyami out the front of the location where Hawks was booked to do a photo shoot. It was a large building with security and everything; likely due to the fact that celebrities and heroes alike would come and go on the daily for their usual advertising commitments.
“So, you've got an accessory line coming out?” I question vaguely remembering the pro mentioning something about a ‘sweet ass watch’. Regaining a fraction of his mojo, Hawks swept me under his other side; beginning to walk us into the building with his chest puffed out.
“Sure do, Sunshine! Rings, watches, chains...All designed by yours truly!” He winked, and I couldn't help but roll my (E/C) eyes.

“Are you sure Be-”

“Jeanist didn't help me, okay?! I'm creative, too!” The blond whined; wispy brows furrowing in annoyance that I had yet again underestimated him.
“If I may ask, Mr. Hawks...Is this stuff absolutely necessary to become a highly ranked hero?” Tokoyami queried as he silently willed Dark Shadow back into it's resting place. Hawks lifted his hand from the boy’s shoulder and ruffled the top of his head.

“When you become a pro, you basically become public property, kid. Keep ‘em safe, happy and entertained, and you see yourself flying up in the charts.” He explained with a wisdom that wasn't exactly legitimate. “And quit calling me Mister. Just Hawks is fine.”
“My apologies.” Tokoyami said thoughtfully as he internally mulled over the answer he was given. Hawks leant over closer to my ear; locks of his unruly hair tickling against my temple.

“Is he always so...you know..?” He whispered, as though he thought he wouldn't be heard by the subject in question.
“Articulate? Sure is! Now we've got brains and brawn on our side…” I smirked a little as I shrugged his arm off of my shoulders to walk ahead. “...and I guess you're...I dunno...the comedy relief, or something…”

“DO YOU WANNA THROW HANDS?!"

----------------------------

It didn't take long for me to flee away from the crowd of make up artists and photography staff when they swarmed around Hawks. Giggling women with pink cheeks and fuck-me eyes. It made me prickle with anger; not something I wanted to be around. Tokoyami followed me off into the abandoned tea room like a lost puppy; leaning up againt the counter as I made us some coffee.

“You seem agitated, (L/N). Penny for your thoughts?” He spoke up over the aggressive clinking of my spoon against the cup edge.
Do I? I'm just peachy…” I grumbled as I slid his coffee towards him. “There's nothing better than watching your dumbass boyfriend flirt with a bunch of dolled up beauties…” My shoulders had hunched and my teeth clenched together; cheeks puffed out as I glared at the steam rising from my styrofoam cup.
“My sincerest apologies, (L/N). I was unaware of your relationship with Hawks.” Tokoyami said softly as he sipped at his drink. “I'm sure his charming demeanor today is all a part of his people pleasing criteria…” Dark Shadow popped out in a puff of black; again nuzzling into my side.
“You have my attention! All of it! Undivided!” It announced; making my smile a little.

“You're a sweetheart, Shadow…” I sighed; running a hand along my (H/C) plait that fell over my shoulder. “We've only been together for a day...but we've been living with each other for months now...It's just hard to get used to, I guess…”

I'm gonna have to, though…

Just as Tokoyami was about to open his mouth to console me, a flash of something bright whipped past my face. Several vermilion feathers had gathered behind the both of us; pushing us towards the doors.
“I'm assuming that this is Hawks’ quirk..?” He coughed; swallowing a mouthful of coffee that almost spilled from his beak.
“Yep…” I said as I squirmed away from Gusty™, who was trying to press against my lips. “Get your bird lice away from me!” His quirk forced us down the hall and up a flight of stairs, which led us to one of the photography sets. Hawks was standing with his arms crossed; nose in the air.
“I'm lice free, thank you!” He huffed, but I was too stunned by his appearance to care about his attitude.

He wore a subtle, yet stylish grey T-shirt that hung loose against his frame, and his hair had somehow been tamed, to a degree. Black denim jeans hugged his thighs, and an assortment of accessories were strategically placed across his arms and around his neck; sparkling silver almost melting off into hues of red, which matched his wings perfectly. He looked like a wet dream.

“Fuck...Where's the sunscreen? I'm sweating…” I said under my breath; fanning myself a little as Tokoyami irked and Hawks grinned smugly.
“I know, right? I'd fuck me…” He chuckled; lowering his voice as he turned to strike a pose in a mirror leaning on the far wall. “I'd fuck me so hard…”

Aaaaaaand charm lost…

“Oh my gosh, Hawks, you look delicious!” My shoulders stiffened as a shrill, peppy voice sounded from the entryway, and turned to find two girls walking in with a bounce in their steps; along with their chests.
“It's sooooo good to see you again!” Both of them were blonde, tanned and busty, and their ‘work attire’ left little to the imagination.

“Yuriko! Katsuko! Double trouble!” Hawks greeted them with excitement; giving the pair a hug and making my blood boil.
“Did your biceps get bigger, or is it just me?” Katsuko; I assumed, squeezed my boyfriend’s arm, and in turn, I squeezed my nails into my palm. The flirting went on and on until, finally, Hawks seemed to realise I was ready to cut a bitch.
“Oh! Girls, this is my team!” He waltzed over and stood between Tokoyami and myself; his arms again slinging over our unprepared shoulders. “My brand new intern, Tsukuyomi, and my partner, Songbird!” It was all smiles and waves for the stoic student, but when it came to me, whoo-doggy, did I get a twin pair of glares that could have killed me dead.
“How cute! But, I thought you did soooo much better working alone…” Yuriko said as she stared at me; blue eyes chewing up my form and spitting it out on the floor. Coughing, I peered up at Hawks and gave him my sweetest, most genuine smile I could muster.

“Shouldn't we get this done as soon as we can, Hawksy? We've got a tight schedule…” With a flutter of my lashes, Hawks was already over by the ivory backdrop; flexing his arms and wings in unison.
“True true, Sunshine! Let's get this party started!”

Sunshine..?” Katsuko repeated with disgust; sharing a look with her coworker.
Hawksy..?” Yuriko sneered at me, and I just smiled back; glad to have gotten under their skin.

Soon enough, Yuriko was taking photos, and Katsuko had her laptop out as she sat beside her; asking questions for an apparent interview and typing down his answers.

“Do you think you might rank in the top three this year? I mean, it's obvious you will, but will you still be excited about it?” Katsuko questioned; trying to inflate his ego. Hawks placed his hand over his mouth; looking up towards the right as his wings curled over his own shoulders.
“Hmmm...Well, yeah...but I've got even more exciting things going on at the moment.” His amber eyes swept over to me, and I nearly crushed my empty cup in my hands. The playful smirk on his lips was apparent, even behind his hand. This seemed to peak the interest of both the girls, who leaned forward in anticipation.

More exciting than reaching the top of the charts? Is that even possible?” Yuriko asked; fiddling with the focus of her camera.
“Care to share?” Katsuko pushed as she poised her fingers ready to document the juicy gossip.
“Well…” Hawks started; continuing to pose casually. “...a few months ago I met a girl who had a rough start in life. She opened my eyes to a lot of things that I didn't really take much notice of in the past...mainly the issue of how many people are struggling out on the streets…She introduced me to someone who had kept her safe and loved, and it really made me think…” He stopped for a moment; chewing on his bottom lip in thought. My attention was on him and him alone, now, and my mind was trying to figure out the point of it all.

What are you getting at..?

“That man was important to her, and he became important to me, too. I went to see him a few times on my own before he passed away...but he wouldn't let me help him. We'd sit and chat about his life, and about that young woman who had basically been his daughter...and it gave me an idea…” Reaching into his pocket, Hawks pulled out a piece of paper and held it between his index and middle finger. “...so I bought the building where I used to rent out my old office. I'm fixing it up and turning it into a homeless refuge! Twenty nine stories full of places to sleep, an education facility, hired psychologists and staff to cook and also take care of the elderly and such. I hope to build them across the city!” My cup hit the floor; bouncing and rolling away from my feet as my hands flew to stifle the gasp that escaped my mouth. I couldn't even answer Tokoyami, who was asking if I was okay, as tears threatened to spill from my (E/C) eyes. He hadn't spoken a word of any of that. Not visiting Akitsugu, not buying out the old building, or his plans. I didn't know what to say.

“I'm gonna cry, oh my gosh…” Katsuko pretended to dab at her eyes.
“You're a saint!” Yuriko added; hands clutching over where her heart would be, if she had one. “So this girl you met will be the first tenant, right?” Even though I was in an emotional state, I still felt like using my vocal quirk to make her smash her pretty face into the wall. Hawks laughed; a loud, almost obnoxious sound, and shook his head.
“Nah, she lives with me…” I only managed to catch the drop of their faces for a moment before I was shoved forward; knowing full well that he had sent out a little platoon of feathers to bring me to him. “It was fate...right, Sunshine?” He cuddled up behind me; hugging my back close to his chest as the women gawked and began to fume internally.

“Y..you're a couple?!” They exclaimed in a double shriek, and I cringed at the noise. I couldn't keep my trap shut any longer.
“He did say we were partners, didn't he?” I said pointedly; turning my head to give his cheek a quick kiss. I was a petty brat, I had to admit it. My only shred of pity went out to Tokoyami, who looked completely out of place in this whole situation. I'd have to make it up to him later on.
“My Songbird, here, is making her big debut tonight! Won't be long before she's up in the charts by my side!” With that, Hawks did the one thing I had hoped he wouldn't do. In one swift movement, he dipped me down and kissed me. A deep, passionate kiss; lasting a little too long when we had an audience. Once he had finished showing off, he stood me upright again and gave a little salute to the girls, who were now visibly agitated. “On that note, we'll be off! See you two next time, ‘kay? Take care!” Pulling me along and giving Tokoyami a nod of the head, we were soon out the doors and wandering towards the changing area.

“I must say, I admire your dedication to helping the unfortunate beings on the streets.” Tokoyami said; breaking the awkward silence.
“Well, as I said...meeting my Sunshine here gave me a whole new perspective.” Hawks held me close to his side; the metal of his jewellery line feeling cool against my (S/C) skin. “It's not just my duty as a hero, but as a person. Everyone deserves a chance.”

Everyone...deserves...a chance…

“You hideous little demon!”

“We could never love something as disgusting as you…”

“You're so creepy! You should just go throw yourself off the roof!”

Nobody wants you.”

“Just disappear. It's better for everyone.”

With a harsh yank, I pulled Hawks against me; burying my head in his chest to block out the memories that flooded my system. My hands clutched the grey material of his shirt, and I didn't say a word as I just stood there; trying to keep myself from falling apart. Hawks didn't hesitate in wrapping me up in arm and wing; slightly turning his head to address the startled intern.
“Sorry kid, could you give us a minute? I'll take you on patrol in a bit.” Nodding in understanding, Tokoyami disappeared down the hall, and Hawks nuzzled into the top of my head. “Did I do something wrong, Sunshine?” His voice was soft now, and it made me cling to him even harder.

“N..no...That's the p..problem…” I whimpered; his chains pressing into my cheeks, which would definitely result in lingering indentations. “Where...were you when I n..needed you the m..most..?” My words were unbelievably selfish, but that's what was running through my head. If I had met this man; this boy, even a year or so before I had, then maybe some of the scars that blemished my thoughts wouldn't exist. Perhaps I wouldn't be carrying such heavy, painful secrets of what my past entailed. I had started out as a fighter, but there's only so much fighting you can do before everything becomes numb. What may look like fighting was simply a bitter acceptance.

“Wherever I was, I was oblivious…” Hawks murmured; one of his hands sweeping my (H/C) plait from my shoulder. “But, guess what, Sunshine? I'm here now. You and me against the fucked up world, alright?” I finally looked up, and his soft smile barely faltered at the sight of my puffy, tear-streaked face.
“But why?” No matter how many times I tried to figure it out, I couldn't. He could have anything he wanted, but he chose a snarky, broken rat off the streets of Japan. It was ridiculous. Gusty™ appeared between us; brushing gently across my cheeks to dry my tears as Hawks just explored my eyes with his pools of striking amber.

“Because you're the sun. Hot to the touch, lighting up my sky, and I love you more than anything else…” He whispered; pressing a feather-light kiss to my lips before I smothered myself in his neck.
“Y..you got into the corn again...d..didn't you..?” I sniffled; earning myself an amused sigh.
“What can I say? It's good shit.” He chuckled before pulling away; still smiling. “Now, you go grab our little chick while I go get changed and see about a sturdy harness.” I narrowed my damp eyes; crossing my arms across my chest to show my disapproval.
“You are not strapping Tokoyami to your chest to be one whole fucking bird, you sparrow shit…” I growled; warning him with my expression. He heaved a sigh; placing a hand over his chest and one in the air.

“I promise I won't go get a harness to strap the kid to my chest to make one whole bird…” He vowed; turning and heading in a direction that was definitely not the way to the change rooms.

Where are you going?!” I shouted after him; ready to sprint after him and tackle him to the ground.

“I think you know!”

***So, I get no reception out at my mum's place (here for the week to look after her after surgery) and of COURSE the Wi-Fi is down after a huge storm...so I'm wandering around having internet withdrawals and suffering because what is life without the interwebs?

Anyway, of course I swiped inspiration from the glorious back cover illustration from issue 20...like...my GOD.

Will One Whole Bird become a reality? Stay tuned x***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 156 39
Your quark turned you into a lab experiment. one day your world suddenly flipped upside down when your given freedom. But... do you cling to the man...
160K 5K 20
Thanks to Izuku's quirk, he was left behind, abandoned by his own mother. For her, his wings were a curse and not a blessing, including his healing q...
52.1K 1.6K 42
Hawks was blessed with an amazing quirk, unlike you. But that's okay, you didn't really want to be a hero anyways. You had dreams about opening your...
225K 7.5K 29
Can even damaged wings take flight again? This fanfiction is a Dabi x reader story and includes some events that occur in the My Hero Academia anime...