SIXTY EIGHT: Desperation

"More than Twice...More than anyone...You should have been keeping both eyes on me..."

No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't lift myself up from the ground. My sight was warped, and my ears were ringing like church bells. Not to mention I felt like I was going to be violently ill.
"D..Dabi...T..Toya...You're...Todoroki Enji's son, right..?!"

My voice had become a rasping mess, but he had heard me. The way his shoulders went rigid told me that my observation had been a big mistake, but that was fine. It had been my intention. Anything to get his attention away from Hawks.

When he turned back to face me, his entire right side lit up in flames, eyes stabbing into me like the sharpest of knives.
"You really wanna join your brat, don't you..?" His half-chuckle tore away any thick skin I had left, the pain of his words seeming to seep directly into my blood.

"(Y..Y/N), don't..! Shut up..!" Hawks hissed out at me, but I ignored him, dragging myself into a sitting position.
"N..Natsuo...Fuyumi...Shoto...You really want them to suffer..? They already m..miss you..." I only knew for sure that Natsuo missed him, after what I had heard the night of Ending's attack, but I was ready to use whatever I could to distract him. To buy us some time.

Dabi started back towards me, easily avoiding Hawks' hand, which reached out to try and seize his ankle. There was murder in his eyes, and on his mind, that much was for certain.
"Natsuo and Fuyumi have nothing to do with this. Shoto, though? Shoto can perish..!" His boot flew up, connecting with my chest and pinning me back against the wall, but not hard enough to stop me breathing again.

Just a little longer...then at least maybe Keigo can get out of here...Somebody will come...

"I never gave a flying fuck about the League...A single person, with a single conviction, has the power to change the world." As he spoke, the flames began to creep down past his hip, trailing the length of his leg towards me. "There are no true heroes. I plan to make Stain's will a reality...no matter who I have to destroy..!"

"G..get away from her..!" Hawks' shouting was muffled beneath the fierce crackle of those flames, the colour near blinding me. My face felt like it was beginning to melt, and the contents of my stomach shot up into my throat. I had felt that particular feeling before, which scared me to the core.

Just as the flames began go lick at my cheek, they dulled down, shrinking until they snuffed out, the smoke curling into the air around us. Dabi was smirking at me, but his eyes were wild. There was nothing stable about that man.
"You, though? You're hardly even a hero...You couldn't even save one little thing..." He removed his boot, taking a single step back to bask in my absolute terror. "Why should I waste my time on you?"

I couldn't keep up with my own mind. If I couldn't keep his attention away from Hawks, then he'd be killed, but that was easier said than done. What else could I do?

No...I have to fight...Keigo is who people need...not me...

Wincing, I began to raise myself off the ground, using the wall behind me as a support. Dabi just watched me, amused by my struggle.
"We...have a score to settle..." I muttered, only just loud enough for him to hear.

"What, because of the kid? You really think this world would've been kind to it? That a hero and a reject whore could make good parents? I did it a favour." What he was saying made my skin crawl, and my eyes well up, but that was exactly what I wanted.

Hawks had managed to climb to his knees, but he was struggling to move, and I met his eyes for a brief moment. In that moment, we shared our thoughts as though we were speaking out loud. Shouting. Screaming.