SIX: Wager

*Two Months Later*

"I SWEAR TO GOD, YOU SHITTY BIRD! I'LL CLIP YOUR FUCKING WINGS!" I screeched as I burst into Hawks' office; covered in a dapple of black and blue. "THAT WAS THE LAST TIME I GO SPAR WITH THAT SKULLFACED CREEPAZOID, ECTOPLASM!" I didn't pay any mind to the man sitting across from him at his desk; denim risen close to his smooth hairline. Hawks snickered; removing his boots from their place on the table and beckoning me over with a curled finger.
"You said that the last two times. Anyway, look who decided to come check on me! It's Jean! Say hi, Jean!" After spending every day with the young man, I could pick up on the sarcasm, even though it was hardly noticeable to others. The man; 'Jean', turned around and looked me up and down with calculating eyes.
"Please don't tell me you hired an apprentice, Hawks..." He sighed; turning away without directing any form of communication my way.

Uh, rude...

"So what if I did? I'm climbing the charts quicker than The Beatles! It's only natural I get myself a right wing girl!" Hawks stood up and slung his arm around my shoulders; using that hand to pinch at my cheek playfully. "Isn't she a cutie? Strong, too! I was hoping you'd meet her sooner, but you actually left me alone for a while!" This time, the sarcasm was oozing from his voice. It was kinda hot.
"I'm sure she's charming...but you're a novice, yourself. An apprentice is above your level of experience. You should still be an intern." Best Jeanist; who I suddenly recognised, said curtly whilst standing up. "Your sudden success in the ranking polls is due to your fresh, young face and demeanour. Give it a week or two and I'm sure the votes will lessen."

I glanced between the blonds; (E/C) eyes narrowing. Hawks' wings had dropped a little, and his posture had fallen along with it. He'd literally woken me up at four in the morning in a whirl of excitement when he had discovered he had reached the top twenty pro heroes, and despite me feeling less than enthused at such trivial things then, I was certainly ready to defend it now.
"Uh, BJ...my man..." I shrugged Hawks' arm off myself and took a surprisingly intimidating step forward. "We appreciate the input...we really do...but this little gremlin right here gave me a fighting chance at survival. If anyone deserves to be a chart-topping pro, it's him...So kindly hike up that...quintuple denim ensemble you call an outfit, and walk it right out the door."

D..did that just come out of my own mouth? Shit, I'm fierce...

Jeanist stared at me in shock for a few moments, as did Hawks, before he adjusted his sky-high collar and nodded to us in turn.
"My...you certainly are charming..." He said flatly before turning towards the door. "Hawks...I urge you to bring her to dinner with us tomorrow night. I'd like to know more about this...arrangement..." After the door had been closed behind the fashion icon, I slammed my fist down onto the desk.
"The fuck you mean, dinner?! Dude, you keep whining about how he babies you, and now you're going out with him?! I really don't know what goes on in that little peanut brain of yours..." I hoisted myself up where I had hit my fist; my legs dangling above the dusty floorboards.
"Etiquette, my dear Sunshine! I must maintain my connections!" Hawks replied in a posh tone, which only made me irk.
"You? Etiquette? Tch...the guy who doesn't know how to lower a toilet seat? Don't make me laugh."

I didn't exactly hate living in that apartment. On the contrary, it was rather pleasant for the most part. The only thing that put a damper on the situation was Hawks' presence. He was lazy, messy, and had no domestic skill sets at all. The man could burn air. Not to mention he would often stride around topless; making me rather antsy. I didn't quite enjoy being attracted to the body of someone as obnoxious as him.
"I'm working on it! For you! Look, I've got a surprise for you! A little something from your ace mentor!" Hawks said excitedly; almost skipping over to one of the rusty cabinets by the window.