Being Bad

By kathleenf4

| COMPLETE | [this is the first draft of my story. so, if there's grammatical mistakes and continuity errors... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Free
Chapter 2: New Changes
Chapter 3: The Gang
Chapter 4: I Challenge You
Chapter 5: Too Many Rich Kids
Chapter 6: Cat Got Your Tongue?
Chapter 7: Detention Is For Losers
Chapter 8: Fo Shizzle
Chapter 9: Just A Loner
Chapter 10: Your Cherry
Chapter 11: Playing The Game
Chapter 12: Just Hanging Around
Chapter 13: How You Get The Girl
Chapter 14: The Player
Chapter 15: Punches From Hell
Chapter 17: I'm A Sunflower
Chapter 18: Run!
Chapter 19: Forgiveness
Chapter 20: Meet The Parents
Chapter 21: Escaping Reality
Chapter 22: Okie Dokie Karaoke
Chapter 23: A Secret Is Revealed [Part 1]
Chapter 24: A Secret Is Revealed [Part 2]
Chapter 25: A New Friend
Chapter 26: Friday Night Lights
Chapter 27: Dancing Like Kanye
Chapter 28: Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire
Chapter 29: Friend Of A Friend
Chapter 30: Dramatic Halloween Bash
Chapter 31: Thank You Next Bitch!
Chapter 32: The Price To Pay
Chapter 33: An Unexpected Occurence
Chapter 34: A Question
Chapter 35: It's Not A Party Without Any Drama
Chapter 36: The Ultimate Betrayal
Chapter 37: My Answer Is Yes
Chapter 38: Andrew Is M.I.A.
Chapter 39: The Guitar Keychain
Chapter 40: More Than Friends?
Chapter 41: Lost But Not Found
Chapter 42: Always Come Back
Chapter 43: On The Right Side Of Rock Bottom
Chapter 44: Ruin My Life
Chapter 45: A Price Family Reunion
Chapter 46: Simm Records
Chapter 47: Amateur Night
Chapter 48: Sing!
Chapter 49: I'm Not Gonna Give All My Secrets Away
Chapter 50: A Strain In The Relationship
Chapter 51: Battle Wounds
Chapter 52: There's Something Really Wrong
Chapter 53: The Plan
Chapter 54: He's A Monster
Chapter 55: It's A Showdown
Chapter 56: Come With Me
Chapter 57: The Different Side of Andrew
Chapter 58: Andrew's Dark Past
Chapter 59: When Everything Changes
Chapter 60: The Business Gala
Chapter 61: You Can Either Peel The Mango Or Do The Tango
Chapter 62: Decisions, Decisions
Chapter 63: First Official Date
Chapter 64: Just A Glimpse
Chapter 65: I Want It All
Chapter 66: Visit To The Hospital
Chapter 67: Congratulations!
Chapter 68: Can You Get Me A Pregnancy Test?
Chapter 69: City Of Angels
Chapter 70: You Can Never Be Forgiven
Chapter 71: Dahlia.
Chapter 72: Things End Badly
Chapter 73: Broken
Chapter 74: The Inevitable
Chapter 75: The Aftermath
Chapter 76: A Glimpse Of The Future
Chapter 77: Prom Night At Hater High [Part 1]
Chapter 78: Prom Night At Hater High [Part 2]
Chapter 79: Prom Night At Hater High [Part 3]
Chapter 80: The Five Stages Of Grief
Chapter 81: You're In My Veins But I Have To Let Go
Chapter 82: Beginning Of The End
Chapter 83: Fairytale Wedding
Epilogue
Author's Note
BEING BAD IS GETTING A SEQUEL???
BEING BAD SEQUEL: FINDING BAD IS PUBLISHED!!!

Chapter 16: What I've Been Waiting For

158 4 0
By kathleenf4

Above: Colton Haynes as Oliver (Ollie) Carson. Oliver is honestly one of my favorite characters that I've created. He just seems so laid back, and chill, but also very attractive at the same time. I just thought that Colton Haynes was his match.

________________________________

Lia James

It was Thursday, the day of tryouts. Everyone was getting changed into their practice clothes in the locker room. It was after school, and everyone seemed to be wearing the same outfit: gray pants with a navy blue t-shirt that said Eastwood Warriors. I didn't fit in at all. But I promised myself that no matter if I didn't get along with my teammates, I would at least still try. I owe it to myself to try and get somewhere with the sport I fell in love with when I was little. I owe it to my Dad for coaching me and given me tips on how to be a better player. I owe it to my Mom, for always supporting me at my games.

If I didn't play professional softball, or even baseball, at least I would have this feeling in my heart that knows that I still tried everything that I could.  

I sat on the bench, after the coach had assigned me to a locker. It took me three times to open the stupid locker, and every time I tried, I continued to get frustrated. When I eventually got it open, I managed to fit my huge backpack for softball inside, plus my bats. I put my school backpack in the car that I took to school at the end of the day.

I got changed into my usual black softball pants, and my championship t-shirt that I won last year with the school I went to back in Maine. Then, to top it all off, I wore my white cleats, with a black strip along the side. I had gotten those last year at the beginning of the year. I had originally found them online with Nike, but it was really pricey with all the tax and shipping costs. My Dad, one day, took me to a sports place, where we found the same exact ones in my size. It only took us like 5 years to find it, after tearing apart the whole store.

Those cleats were also my first payment with my one debit card. I applied for my first job just as I turned 16. It took us months to get all the paperwork, and get certain tests done. It was a process, but my Mom helped me through all of it. She originally worked at this place since I was about a year old. It was a daycare. While Henry was at school, my Mom would bring me there, and work, while I played with all the dolls, and colored.

Since all of her kids are grown up, and don't really need daycare, except for maybe Layla, she decided to only work once a week, while we were at school. When I turned 16, my Mom sweet talked her boss about me, saying how I was a hard worker and I always listen to instructions. Her boss called me one day after I filled out my application, and asked me a day to come in and interview. The boss, Christy, basically told me I got the job.

I began working the first week in August. I wasn't really fond of the shifts in the morning, just because the number of kids would sky rocket to almost 40, in just a small room. At night, it was more laid back, since Christy wouldn't be there. I learned all the names of the kids that continued to return at the same time I worked there. I made them pictures, tossed a ball around with them, and even played hide and seek. They all loved my positive, fun energy.

It took me about 2 weeks to finally get my paycheck, that would eventually transfer to me debit card. And that was how I paid for my cleats.

My father was always proud about how I was using my own money, how I earning it because I worked hard.

Still sitting on the benches in the locker room, I tied the laces to my cleats, and put my hair up in a ponytail. As I waited for the Coach to come in here and talk with us, I occasionally noticed the looks people were giving me. It didn't bother me as much as I thought it was going to, but it still made me uneasy.

I didn't see Megan either. She must be late, or maybe she's talking with the Coach. Either way, I'm still screwed. I don't know anyone here, and initiating social interaction isn't exactly my thing.

So, I walked over to my locker, opening it in one try. I mentally patted myself on the back for that accomplishment. I grabbed the iconic navy blue bandana, that was tied around a zipper on my bag, and I tied it around my ankle, making sure it was secure and wouldn't fall off. I began to do this ever since that football game I went to, and my best friend gave me something that she loved.

I lifted my ankle, placing it on a chair, that was situated near my locker, and began to tie it around my ankle.

"Who are you?" I heard someone ask, but I wasn't sure if they were talking to me.

They were talking to me.

After I finished, I turned around and saw a girl, that looked twice my height. She was practically staring down at me, while I hyperextended my neck. Her brown hair was tied up into a french braid, and her fly away's were secured with a Nike headband.

"I'm Lia. I'm here for a tryout." I was going to smack myself in the face for sounding so pathetic. And for my voice cracking mid-sentence.

"A tryout? Tryouts were months ago. Why are you even here right now?" She asked, her blue eyes turning into ice.

"I transferred in August. I wasn't aware that tryouts had already happened." I answered, and tried my hardest not to sound harsh. One, I didn't want this girl to eat me alive, and two, I didn't want this girl to eat me alive.

"No one wants you here, rookie. This team will be better off without an amateur."

"First off, Im not a rookie. And before you even think to second guess me, you can find my stats on Google. I'm certain they are better than yours. And second, I belong to be on this team just as much as you are." I crossed my arms across my chest, and stared at her blankly.

Her nostrils flared, but I didn't have a care in the world. Everyone deserves a chance to tryout whatever sport they want, regardless if they're new or not.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer." I spat, walking away after she continued to stare me down. The most important thing in softball, is to be fearless. Fear can prevent you from doing something you want to do, so don't let it stop you. At least, that's what my Dad would always say.

"What was that?" Megan stopped me. Thank goodness, I have someone to protect me from Shrek over there.

"Some girl was practically criticizing me for trying out to be on this team." I ranted, and I could feel my face heat up from anger.

"That's the way it is. This team is so used to each other that they hate change. Especially if it's someone that could ruin their chances of a scout coming to check them out." She explained, and I nodded my head.

"Sure, but that gives her no right to try and scare me." I scowled at Shrek, as she was talking to other girls on the team, occasionally looking my way.

"Just forget about them and just focus on yourself. That's what softball is, right? You have to play so damn selfish it's not even funny." She breathed. I understand where she's coming from. That's the way this sport is.

Just as she finished her sentence, I noticed the familiar form of the Coach from my peripheral vision. He was wearing a blue T-shirt with 'Warriors' outlined in gold. That was the teams colors. It was similar to the one back home, and that was blue and white (with accents of black).

He stood there with his hands on his hips, scanning the locker room to make sure all of his players were present. He was serious about this team, and I could definitely understand especially with how hostile he's been. It was definitely a stretch when he called me about a tryout, but I wanted him to know that I wasn't going to give up my chances to play ball in college. It's taking up so much of my life I couldn't give it up now.

"Ladies! Get your asses out on the field! What did I say about not waiting for me? You don't need me to parent you around." He yells, and his voice makes an echo around the silent room.

"You know the drills. You can get started without waiting for me." The girls begin to scatter and grab what they need to practice, before exiting through the door. "Megan!"

Megan whips her head around from the Coaches voice. "What's up, Coach?"

"Keep an eye out on this one." He points his finger to me. "Make sure she knows what we're doing, and how we do it."

"Got it." She said, and he slammed the locker door behind him. I have to admit I might have jumped a little. He's a scary dude.

We ran outside in a hurry, both hoping that the captain, who I've yet to find out, wouldn't start the drills without us. Once we opened to double doors from the hallway that lead to the back of the school, we saw all the girls huddled up on the field.

Megan and I ran until we reached the huddle, and the glares that stared through us surrounded us.

"You're late," I heard a voice say. It was sort of an echo, considering the unknown person was behind the cult in front of us, staring us down like we're dinner.

"We had to talk to coach." Megan explained, and we both looked at each other in agreement.

A few people moved to the side, as the unknown voice pushed through to get to us. "I don't care about who you were talking to." The captain said. And I freaking knew it.

It was Shrek.

Why does everything bad happen to me?

She crossed her arms over her broad, and somewhat manly chest, as her head was practically looking down at the ground. Yeah, she was huge.

"10 laps around the field. Now." She said in a flat tone.

This is a prime example of a fight or flight response. I could've defended, and said it was my first day and I had to clarify something with he coach. But instead, I took off running a few looking like the time I had first watched a scary movie.

The baseball field was big enough to be a professional one. 10 laps? She's freaking crazy.

The girls began to warm up, and do their static stretches to get the blood pumping and muscles stretched, while I burned my lungs out running around the field.

On my 8th lap, I noticed a pair of teenagers, lazily sitting on the bleachers watching us. One had what looked like an Angels baseball cap on, while the other was strumming a guitar.

Strumming a guitar...

Oh no. Nope. Nope. Not today.

I stared harder and harder to actually see if I was correct. And to my dismay, I was. Eli waved at me eagerly while Andrew was completely engrossed in the instrument. But I'll give him credit, he's not bad at making music happen with his fingers.

I decided to wave back, because it's Eli, and then finished off my laps. All the other girls were running drills and other stuff, and I felt behind. So, I tried my best to keep up. It's hard when every girl on the team knows what their doing and not you.

We did lunges, jumping jacks, fire hydrants, suicides, planks, push-ups, and sit-ups. And that was just the warm up drills. I already had a gut feeling this wasn't going to be my year.

The Coach finally made his appearance outside, and he stood by home plate gesturing for all of us to gather around.

"Now that you guys finished your stretches, it's time to do some hitting and catching drills. I want half of the girls to stay here at home plate, while the others go out on the field and position yourselves correctly. I'll pitch the balls for the girls to hit, but it's your job to try your hardest and catch it. Everyone got it?" We all nodded our heads.

"Good. Now go."

I was one of the many girls that were stuck in the backfield, waiting for a ball to come flying towards, and hoping we won't make an embarrassment in front of the Coach. But the worse thing is, they are already a part of this team, I'm not. So I have to work extra hard.

I want to be a part of this team so bad. I want to play softball in college, and hopefully get a scholarship. That's my goal ever since I set foot on the baseball diamond.

I have to admit the first half of this practice was really taking its toll on me. I wanted to make it seem like I was a perfect candidate for the team, but everything seems to go wrong for me. It began with me having to run 10 freaking laps and practically collapse from exhaustion, and then having Eli clap about me for no apparent reason. Everything was just so completely F'ed up.

I prepared my stance, as the girl swung the back and watched the Coach.

"Did you see Andrew with Eli? God, he's so fucking hot."

"Is he looking my way?"

"I just want to suck his face off!"

I proceeded to roll my eyes, as the girls snickered around me in the backfield, flailing their mouths and mouthing disgusting words about those two boys to each other. I practically had to keep myself from projectile vomiting on the grass.

The first girl who stepped up to bat, and who is now waiting for the Coach to pitch, was Shrek, who's name I finally learned to be Tori. She was massive, probably about 5'11. That's pretty tall for a girl.

And, damn was she good. She maintained in shape during the off season, which wasn't that long ago, and a beast. She knows how to hit a monstrous one.

Coach had finally pitched to her, and she hit it with full force, and sending it straight toward the backfield. The ball came soaring toward the girl just a few meters a away from me, and she raised her glove high. Much to her dismay, the ball rolled off her glove and onto the ground as she failed to clutch it in her hand.

Tori moved to the back of the line, allowing the next girl to repeat the same actions. This process was now switched, and I was standing in line. It was about 3 people away from being my turn up to bat.

The girls still managed to talk about the idiots who were sitting on the benches refusing to leave the private practice. It was getting on my nerves. The reputations that these guys have hanging over their heads is ridiculous, and quite disturbing. But I don't think it fazes them. Their so nonchalant, it's not even funny.

My gaze wanders to where the boys where sitting. Andrew, who was still playing guitar, and has been for the past 2 hours, didn't seem to be watching the practice. He seemed to be sweating a bit, probably from the fact that he has his iconic leather jacket in between his skin and the sun. Eli, who was sitting next to him, noticed my gaze and raised a thumbs up. He wasn't wearing his jacket, but a white T-shirt. But I noticed the familiar black fabric hanging on the seat in front of him.

Time managed to go by quick, and my turn was rapidly approaching. The girls were menaces, hitting flies all the way to the backfield, and then just brushing it off like it happened on a daily basis.

Soon enough, my turn was up, and I picked up the bat that was laying in the dirt. I dusted off my batting gloves onto the grey pants, and gripped the bat. I bent my knees and angled the bat ever so slightly.

Coach's pitch was fast, but I don't think it was fast enough for me to strike out. I hit it with all my might, and the aftermath had me spinning around. The girls all raised their heads in unison, watching the ball gracefully fly into the sky and land.

Outside the fence?

Outside the fence!

Did I just hit a home run?

Apparently so, because I felt the light slaps against my shoulders, and the shouting. My smile was so big, I thought I would stretch out my cheeks.

The Coach's look was unforgettable. It was like from this moment he knew that I was going to be on the team. Greatest. Feeling. Ever.

I walked to the back of the line with my head held high. The received numerous amounts of nods and congratulations. This definitely was a turn of events, from everyone on the team hating me, until now when they all think of me as a part of their group.

Coach had us all huddle up, probably because it was getting late and we all had homework to do.

He gave us a few words of encouragement, before departing us and telling us to not stay up too late. Before I managed to get away, he told me to stay back.

"Wow, kid. You're one heck of a player. Don't think I failed to see that." The 30 year old man explained to me.

"I need time to think and sort some things out at home, so I'll let you know sometime next week, alright? But you better be getting your ass in shape, James." He narrowed his eyes at me.

"Don't worry, I will." I nodded in agreement.

"Good. I'll see you then." He says, before turning his back and walking off he field.

I waited a little before squealing and jumping up and down in excitement. God loves me! God loves me!

"What the fuck?" I gasp and turn around to see dumb and dumber.

"Woah, didn't see you there." I let out a nervous laugh.

"Good practice, James." Eli nodded his head, and Andrew just stood there. His guitar was slung over his shoulder, and his expression was completely blank.

"Eli, what the heck were you doing here? Were you trying to spy on me or something? You know you're not allowed to watch out private practices." I told him, and he shrugged.

"Private practices? You told me it was okay for us to go because of the hot chicks." Andrew puffed and I gave him a disgusted stare. "I'm not in the mood for another person in this fucking school to be up my ass."

"Shut the hell up, Price." Eli turned his gaze to Andrew.

"You want to explain why the heck you two idiots are here right now?" I cross my arms, patiently waiting for an answer.

"How about you come along with us tonight? For some fun?" Eli suggested.

~*~

Don't forget to tap the star at the bottom of the screen and vote!

Phew, this chapter was definitely something. BTW, sorry for all the softball nonsense, there won't be any of that next chapter, I swear. I know that it gets boring for some people who don't understand the sport or who just don't like it in general. Softball isn't the main point of this story so it won't appear as often.

Much love!!

XOXO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.1K 1.1K 37
I would bet none of you have ever had that dream summer that all of us want.... that summer where you meet a boy on the beach and go surfing even tho...
1.2M 26.3K 99
Lia I'm a sucker for romance, especially romance in novels because let's be honest, love like that doesn't exist in reality. Yet, he makes me feel a...
93K 4.6K 57
Have you ever wondered what more you could be missing when you have everything? Well, Michelle Reynold who is 17, a senior, blond and beautiful, have...
873 40 17
"If you hate me so much, then why do you stick around?!" I yelled. "I don't hate you. You're just so fucking annoying!" He yelled back, throwing his...