The Light of Elysium

By MayaR-31

Book 1 (complete) - Veterinary student Elle wants to travel, but she doesn't plan on getting pulled into a ma... More

Author's note
Prologue
1 - Dreams
2 - The Journey Begins
3 - Not in Kansas anymore
4 - Kingdom under the Mountains
5 - No way home
6 - A New Partnership
7 - A dark encounter
8 - Did someone yell for a hero
9 - Down by the lake
10 - Dance of the sun and the moon
11 - The Rainbow Isles
12 - Queen's Conquest
13 - Lammas Festival
14 - Lord of the Emerald Isle
15 - Ill met by Moonlight
16 - Agape
17 - Amongst the trees
19 - Capture
20 - Lord Nero
21 - Glimmer in the dark
22 - My sweet
#31CreepyWords
23 - Leap of Faith
24 - Flight
25 - White Water
26 - Fearful symmetry
27 - Company of wolves
28 - Falling
29 - Arcadia
30 - A new dawn
31 - Mr Sullen, Mr Mischief & Mr Silent
32 - Green does not become you
33 - Battlelines
34 - Storm
35 - The wild hunt
36 - Temptation
37 - Whiplash
38 - The Chase
39 - The white knight
40 - Mid-Winter Ball
41 - Promises
42 - The Prophecy
43 - The element of air
44 - Home is where the heart is
45 - Destiny calling
46 - Icarus
47 - Journey by night
48 - A face from the past
49 - Aldebaran
50 - Trial of the White Queen
51 - Sleep, perchance to dream
52 - Lair of the Dark King
53 - Dark dreams
54 - Dark games
55 - Winter's embrace
56 - The Ice Queen and the King of Sin
57 - Politics
58 - A truth uncovered
59 - Back from the edge
60 - Muse
61 - Quandary
62 - Night under the stars
63 - Bound in blood
64 - A rolling stone
65 - Waiting for a hero
66 - Pride and Prejudice
67 - Sensibility
68 - Bedouin Night
69 - Flashpoint
70 - Reunion
71 - Denial
72 - Dreams
73 - A fire kindled
74 - Touched by a Goddess
75 - Ostara
76 - The fire within
77 - Options
78 - An inescapable fate
79 - Point of no return
80 - Bereft
81 - Journey's end
Characters/Cast List
The Queen of Elysium - sneak peek

18 - Equinox

5K 358 129
By MayaR-31

(Elissa's PoV)

I am surprised to find myself climbing through a window into a strange room. In the dim light, I can just make out a figure in bed. He is asleep but awakes with a start when I jump down into the room and I'm relieved to discover that it's Darish.

Holding a hand to his chest, he exhales deeply. "Thank the Mother that you have gotten here safely and in such good speed. I only arrived last night. Did you have any trouble?"

"Father sneaked me out. But the king, he..." I hang my head with shame, unable to look at him. "I am..."

Suddenly, I find myself lying in bed in a different room. Based on the wooden walls and ceiling, I'm in Darish's treehouse. Confused, I sit up too fast and feel woozy, edging on nausea.

"Elissa, you are in danger!" the voice of the old man, with the golden-yellow eyes, warns. "There are forces out to capture you. On the morrow, leave at first light. The dragon can fly you to safety."

"Go away, I need to sleep," I grumble.

Not feeling so good, coupled with the effort of keeping my eyelids open, sends me snuggling back under the covers.

"Child, you must heed my words."

I feel rather belligerent and answer back, "No, the festival is important to Darish. I am not leaving before then."

I start to drift off, but he shakes me. I stare up at him blearily noticing his clenched jaw. What has got his panties in a twist?

"Can you at least hide the locket?" His voice is laced with exasperation. "Put it in a safe place and say the word Celo."

.......

I awake to find Darish standing by my bed, with my favourite dragon cup in one hand. Sitting up, I am somewhat bemused to discover that I am still wearing yesterday's clothes. Everything after that second goblet of wine is rather hazy and I must admit that I can't actually remember coming home last night. I must have slept like a log.

I sip at the spiced tea and ask, "Are we going to practice shortly?"

"I already did some hours ago."

"Oh!" I can't keep the disappointment from my voice. Every morning we exercise together. "Why didn't you wake me earlier?"

"I thought it best to allow you rest. What do you recall of last night?"

"Er, I remember sitting with Zane in the tavern and then going to get some air." I screw up my face trying to concentrate, but draw a complete blank about the rest of the evening.

"You were... how shall I phrase this? Not quite yourself. Zane had to carry you home. You sang most of the way."

"Oh my god!" I hide my face in my hand.

"You also declared to Zane that you loved him, but apparently you would not touch him with a barge pole."

Peeking through my fingers, I can see that Darish is being totally serious. "Oops. Did I offend him?"

Darish shrugs. "Perhaps his ego is a little bruised. He is not used to a female being immune to his charms."

My stomach makes an audible rumble. As if I am not already mortified.

Holding out a hand, Darish helps me up and plucks a leaf from my hair. "Come, let us break your fast."

Flushing slightly, he releases my hand. "Elissa..." he starts, only to falter. "Mother has been hinting that we could be ... be something more." His eyes dart around the room, unable to look at me straight. "However, my feelings towards you are one of kinship."

I feel exactly the same way, but I can't resist trying to wind him up. I grab his shirt in both hands and stare into his eyes. "But Darish, I thought we were going to settle here and have lots of babies."

Despite hamming it up, he takes me seriously and his expression fills with a mixture of panic and guilt. I can't maintain a straight face and burst out laughing. "I'm just messing with you," I reassure, wiping a tear from my eye.

He exhales. Thankfully he's relieved and not angry with me.

"You don't have to worry about me. I want children one day, but not anytime soon, and no offence, not with you. You are more like a wonderful big brother." I flutter my eyelashes at him trying to earn his forgiveness and plead, "You are still going to feed me, right?"

Shaking his head, he indicates for me to follow and we descend to the kitchen, where his mother is cooking. The smell of baking bread causes my stomach to rumble.

She laughs and waves for me to sit down. "The midday meal will be ready soon. Here have some fresh cobnuts to tide you over until it is ready."

As I am munching away, Darish announces, "Mother, I wish to take Elissa to see the elder."

"What do you want to see that old windbag for?" she responds in a dismissive tone.

"Mother!" Darish admonishes. "You should be more respectful."

"That elf is so full of his own self-importance that it is almost deafening." Her gaze casts around the lovingly carved interior of the room and she murmurs half to herself, "Endeavours of the truly talented speak for themselves."

"Elissa wants to enquire about the Light of Elysium," he counters.

"Do you jest, son? Have you forgotten our history?" She shakes her head.

"Please, I would love to hear it from you," I pipe up from my pile of broken nut shells.

She stirs the contents of the cast iron pot hanging over the fire and then sits at the table.

"Some eight hundred solars ago the Great War with Tartarus raged on and it seemed that Elysium might fall. The Queen of the Light Elves created an orb of power, the Light of Elysium. Such was the power of the Light that it was able to vanquish the Dark King and his terrible army.

After Elysium was saved, the queen faded and passed the crown on to her daughter, Celestia. The Light was given to the first Guardian of the Light to be its protector."

I listen enrapt and in barely a whisper ask, "Where is the Light now?"

"Nobody knows. It vanished when the last King of Avalon died. Oh, that must be nearly a century ago."

I am uncertain how to feel. This Light seems awfully powerful and I cannot understand why I have been chosen to find it. That it has been missing for so long makes my task seem even more daunting.

.....

Darish's mother finishes weaving my hair into delicate braids and stands back to admire her handiwork. I check myself out in the looking glass and, with my hair style and borrowed dress, I could almost be taken for an elf.

"The autumn equinox is an important time, when night and day are equal. 'Tis the tipping point into the darker half of the solar."

Darish pops his head into the room and asks, "Are you ready? We should depart momentarily to ensure that we arrive before sundown."

I nod and follow him out and down the stairs to the forest floor. The stroll to the village is pleasant, although my stomach bubbles with nerves at the thought of seeing Zane.

We eventually find him playing with a group of musicians. I didn't realise how accomplished he was and watch mesmerised as his fingers move almost lovingly across the skin of a bodhrán. Looking up, he catches me watching and winks. Evidently all is forgiven.

Darish guides me further in and we join a small crowd circled around half a dozen elves. Just in time, as they start singing almost immediately. I can't understand the words, but Darish being a sweetie, leans in and whispers the meaning to me. 

The second song is one that I know well; the dance of the sun and the moon. I grin at him and he smiles back. Then inexplicably his face hardens and his body goes taunt.

He places a hand on my shoulder. "Stay here, with my parents. I will not be long."

I shrug and focus my attention back on the singing. I can't help think how much Roth would love this. It seems a pity that he is missing out. It's only a ten-minute walk back, so I decide to go back and see if he wants to join us.

I jog, so it doesn't even take that long. When I get to Darish's treehouse I find Roth slumped on the ground with his eyes closed. I drop to a crouch and joke, trying to rouse him, "Come on sleepyhead, you're missing the party."

He remains completely inert. I frown. In the light of the lantern his colour does not look quite right and his scales lack their normal lustre. Concerned that something is seriously wrong, I stroke his head and plead with him, "Roth, please wake up."

The skin on the back of my neck prickles and I can't shake off the sense of being watched. Still crouched beside him, I scan my surrounding. A figure steps out of the shadows and into the light of the full moon. It is a tall, slim male dressed all in black.

He has knee high leather black boots, a black shirt, leather gauntlets and a leather chest plate with an embossed wolf head, black on black.  The hood of his large black cloak is drawn, covering his ears, but I am pretty sure that he is an elf.

"Elissa?" he questions.

I wonder if he is a friend of Darish's. I can't really see it, but I am clasping at straws with Roth's condition. "Yes. I think the dragon is really sick. Do you know a healer? Can you get help?"

He walks towards me and alarm bells starting ringing in my head. There is something distinctly off about him and his smile is not at all reassuring.

"Waste not your thoughts upon the beast. He will not last the night out."

A sob lodges in my throat and I fling my arms around the dragon's neck. "No! Roth, please do not die on me."

............
AN - the song is UMAI by Shireen - the video is weird but cool
This one goes out as a thanks to EvelynHail  - autumn equinox and the tipping point into darker days!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 399 33
❝ There are no limits to a power as great as yours. ❞ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ Aurora Celeste has spent her whole royal life as a Crown Princess and next...
220K 12.4K 32
In the supernatural world there are just three rules you must never break - never be different - never be weak - and never ever be a threat I...
12K 1K 48
Evie is haunted by her past, and so tangled up with her best friend and room mate she isn't even sure she remembers how to be an independent person a...
6.5M 413K 66
When a wounded dragon falls from the sky, Claire Evans runs into a cornfield to rescue it. This isn't just any dragon, he's a shifter, one of six roy...