Guiltless Sin || John Murphy

By Cutehorse

'Sin: an act regarded as a serious or regrettable fault, offence, or omission; Guilty: conscious of, affected... More

Summary
Epigraph
0
PART I
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
PART II
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
PART III
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
PART IV
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
Epilogue
BOOK 2

8

2.9K 121 26
By Cutehorse

/\/\/

/\/\/

Byrd etched into the wall of the dropship with her knife, her hands long since free as she cut through her ties. She didn't bother going anywhere, knowing the door was locked. Her head snapped up when it opened suddenly, slamming on the floor as a body appeared. She was quick to slip her knife away, standing up and leaning against the wall with her arms crossed over her chest and a cocky smirk on her lips.

Though it faded slightly when she saw Lincoln's unconscious body thrown to the ground by the hatch. She watched as some of Bellamy's boys clambered up the ladder and pulled him up roughly, bounding his hands in separate ropes and securing them to opposite walls of the drop ship.

'You arseholes gonna bring me something to eat any time soon?' She asked; 'Cause you know, you're supposed to feed prisoners as well.'

'I wouldn't bet on it,' One of the sneered.

She looked toward the hatch when she spotted movement out of the corner of her eye, Bellamy's head popping up seconds later.

'Hey, Chancellor,' She called; 'Good to know you've got things sorted. But, where's the food?'

'How'd you get out?' One of the shorter guys called as Bellamy shot her a glare.

'My laser beam eyes.'

'Tie her up,' Bellamy stated gruffly.

She huffed in annoyance, eyeing off Lincoln as his eyes moved under their lids as he began to awake. The boy bound each of her wrists in more old seatbelts, tying her back to where she was beforehand.

'Whoa! He's awake,' A sudden yell came as Lincoln jolted forward.

'Tie him tighter,' Bellamy demanded; 'The last thing we need is this bastard getting free because you screwed up.'

Lincoln looked around as he tried to get himself free, his eyes landing on her as she pulled back at her restraints trying to find a weakness in the ropes. Though they were quick to move to Octavia as she stepped up through the hatch, the grounder's movements slowing to a halt at the sight of her.

'Octavia, get out of here,' Bellamy stated.

'I told you he was protecting me,' Octavia ignored her brother as her eyes moved from Lincoln to Byrd; 'They both were.'

The Delani girl snorted with a smirk, her back now to the group as she slipped her knife from her sleeve and caught it in her teeth.

'You didn't have to do this,' Octavia continued.

'This isn't about you,' Bellamy retorted; 'I'm doing this for all of us.'

'You did that for all of us?'

'I did that for Finn and Jasper and Diggs and John and Roma.'

'It wasn't even him.'

'You don't know that! We need to know what we're up against. How many there are and why they're killing us. And he's gonna tell us right now.'

'No, Bellamy, please.'

'Miller, get her out of here.'

Miller moved to grab Octavia's upper arm, but the girl shrugged him off.

'I was there! I-' She exclaimed; 'Hey, get- get off of me!'

Byrd cut one of her hands free, flinging the knife across the room; the blade soaring between Octavia and Miller's head before it hit the wall with a bang.

'She said, get off,' She sneered as she undid her binding, holding Miller's gaze.

The boy took a step back with his hands in the air, his helper doing the same. Octavia nodded to her in thanks, surprised by her actions.

'I said to tie her up,' Bellamy spat as he glared at one of the boys.

'I don't even think he speaks English,' Octavia stated as she limped toward the hatch; 'He won't understand you.'

'Oh, I think he will,' Bellamy stated as he took a small step closer to Lincoln.

Byrd charged forward at the sight of her friend being silently threatened, only to be pushed up against the wall by her neck; a knife  held against her skin. She smirked at the boy, shaking her head; hardly wincing at the feeling of her skin being sliced slightly. Her arms were yanked together and bound in chains, linked to where she previously was. She held the chains in her hands, tugging on them lightly but she found no avail.

The girl could feel Lincoln's eyes on her as he watched her over his shoulder, but he didn't move; his face stoic as it usually was. She met his eyes for a second, his own flickering away as she became still; still holding the chains. Byrd leant against the wall then, acting as though she wasn't bound to a wall with a smirk on her lips.

'What're you gonna do, Chancellor?' She chided; 'Float him?'

'Would you stop calling me that?' Bellamy yelled.

'Only when you stop acting like you rule the world.'

He clenched his jaw, turning to face his hostage before taking a step closer to him.

'What's you name?' He asked, but Lincoln didn't reply; 'Where's your camp? How many of you are there?'

Lincoln looked at him bored, Byrd watching Bellamy's jaw tick as he clenched it and unclenched it out of anger before he threw a punch into the man's face. Suddenly the ship jolted as a loud bang echoed through it, the lights flickering for a second. She remained unmoved, the smirk not leaving her lips.

'Go see what that was,' The Blake boy demanded.

'Yes, chancellor,' She bowed, even though he wasn't speaking to her.

One of his followers clambered down the ladder quickly, leaving them to stand in silence; Bellamy's glare set on Byrd. Within minutes, the boy appeared at the top of the hatch; his gaze quickly landing on the grounder.

'What the hell was that? We under attack or not?' Bellamy asked instantly.

'Storm damage. We're ok,' The boy answered as he turned to close the hatch.

Bellamy nodded and strode up to Lincoln once more, 'We're gonna try this one more time. What's your name? Where's your camp? How many of you are there?'

Lincoln didn't reply, blood dripping down his face.

'Hey. Check it out,' Miller called.

Byrd looked over to where the boy was crouched, Bellamy and his other follower doing the same in front of him. They blocked her view, causing her to roll her eyes.

'What is all this stuff?' Miller asked.

'Hell knows with these people,' Bellamy replied as he looked at the grounder.

They continued to go through his stuff, grabbing was seemed to be an old journal full of pages. Lincoln tugged at his restraints as Bellamy began to unravel the string that held it closed, causing him to smirk.

'Think we found something he doesn't want us to see, Miller,' He jeered.

He went flicked through the journal, making Byrd curious as to what was inside. Bellamy paused looking at her for a second before he flipped the page, pausing again for a longer second as he stared at whatever was there. He looked at Lincoln for a brief second before turning the page once more, his jaw clenching once more.

'It's our camp,' he informed the other boys as he lowered the book enough for them to see; 'I'm guessing if I counted all those marks, it would add up to a hundred and two. Ten crossed out. That's how many people we've lost.'

The boy stood and strode toward Lincoln, the journal still in his hand.

'They've been watching us ever since we got here,' Bellamy stated.

Lincoln didn't move, his eyes set on the floor. Byrd furrowed her eyes as she watched what was happening before her, she wasn't unnerved that they had been watched for as long as they had been on the ground. For, she knew she'd do the same if a firey ball of metal came down from the sky. Bellamy moved away, continuing to go through Lincoln's journal.

It was quiet for a little while, except for Bellamy's occasionally mutters. The Delani girl sunk to the ground, resting her back against the wall as she closed her eyes; bored out of her mind. She fiddled with the bolts holding the chains around her wrist, trying to undo it to get herself free. She didn't open her eyes when the hatch opened and footsteps echoed through the room, before Clarke's voice sounded.

'Get the hell out of my way,' The blonde sneered.

'It's ok. Let her through,' Bellamy stated.

'Blondie,' Byrd pried her eyes open to look at the girl; 'You here to bring me some food?'

'Do you even care that Finn almost died?' Clarke asked.

'Of course, I do. But currently, I have other things to worry about. Like my stomach.'

'Ignore her. I do,' Bellamy muttered.

'I'm chained up, not deaf, Chancellor.'

Clarke walked toward Bellamy, pausing when she caught sight of the hostage who's eyes followed her. She looked over his blood covered face, turning her gaze to Bellamy.

'Well, if he didn't hate us before, he does now,' She hissed lowly.

'Who cares?' Bellamy replied as he grabbed her arm and dragged her away from Lincoln; 'How's Finn?'

'Alive. His people will care. How long until they figure out where he is? And what happens when they do? I mean, when they come looking for him? They will, Bellamy.'

'Relax, princess. No one saw us take him. He was chained up in that cave the entire time, and thanks to the storm, we didn't see a soul on the way back.'

'You seem to forget I don't actually run with you guys anymore and I'll happily make a trade for all of your lives for his,' Byrd chimed.

'I will knock you out,' Bellamy pointed at her.

'I'm tired anyway.'

He shook his head and looked back at the blonde before him, the girl's eyes lingering on Byrd for a second.

'Ok,' Bellamy continued on from what he had been previously saying; 'In case you missed it, his people are already killing us. How many more of our people need to die until you realise we're fighting a war?'

Clarke looked at him, 'We're not soldiers, Bellamy. Look at him. We can't win.'

'You're right. We can't. If we don't fight.'

'Clarke, he's seizing!' Raven's scream came from downstairs.

Clarke shot forward, 'On my way.'

Byrd glared at Bellamy as she shut the hatch and locked it behind her, turning his gaze to Lincoln.

/\/\/

It wasn't long later when someone pounding their fist on the hatch from the other side, Clarke's voice demanding that it was opened. Miller walked over and pulled it open, blocking the blonde from coming any further up that ladder.

'Get out of my way, Miller,' She spat; 'Now!'

Miller moved without a word, letting her up; Octavia hot on her heels. Byrd stood from where she sat, Clarke marching straight up to Lincoln; standing face to face with him as she raised his knife up.

'What's on this?' She sneered.

'What are you talking about?' Bellamy asked.

'He poisoned the blade. All this time, you knew Finn was gonna die no matter what we did. What is it? Is there an antidote?'

'Clarke, he doesn't understand you,' Octavia informed her.

Lincoln didn't move, standing taunt.

'Vials,' Bellamy stated suddenly before he moved; 'It's gotta be here. You'd have to be stupid to have a poison around this long without an antidote.'

'Which one?' Clarke asked as she showed the grounder the vials.

'Answer the question!' Bellamy yelled.

'Show us. Please,' Octavia begged.

'Which one? Our friend is dying down there and you can stop that,' Clarke tried again.

'I'll get him to talk,' Bellamy stated as he stepped forward to punch the man.

But his sister caught his arm, 'Bellamy, no.'

'He wants Finn to die. Why can't you see that? Do you want him to live or not? Clarke, you even said it yourself.'

'This is not who we are! He was protecting me. He saved my life.'

'We're talking about Finn's life.'

'Do it,' Clarke muttered.

'Just tell us!' Octavia begged.

Byrd pulled at her chains when Bellamy pulled his knife and cut off a bit of a harness, stepping back in front of Lincoln.

'You're gonna show us the antidote or you're gonna wish you had,' He hissed as he began to cut the man's shirt.

He stripped it from his torso, leaving his abdomen bare with all his tattoos on show. Byrd's eyes raked over them quickly, the urge to get one suddenly growing in her stomach. She looked back to Bellamy as he looked at Clarke for permission, the blonde nodding. He lowered his head as he tied his knife to the end of the strapping, holding the weapon free end once her was done.

'Bellamy, no. Please,' Octavia whispered.

But the boy flung his knife at Lincoln, slicing open his torso before he retracted his knife. The Delani girl pulled at her chains, trying to pull them out of the wall. She hadn't known Lincoln long, but he had attempted to protect her and she would do the same because he was a friend; dare she say it. And he was her only way to finding Murphy.

'Stop it,' She yelled as Bellamy whipped him again; 'Bellamy, I swear to God, I will kill you.'

Clarke stopped Bellamy before he could throw another whipping, falling to her knees in front of the grounder; spreading the vials out on the floor.

'Please. Which one's the antidote?' She asked.

'Just tell them,' Octavia pleaded.

But Lincoln only regained his composure, standing up as straight as he could; not a word leaving his mouth.

'Clarke,' Bellamy muttered as he squeezed the blonde's shoulder.

The girl moved out of the way once more, letting Bellamy whip the grounder again and again. Byrd looked around for something that could cause some harm, continuing to yell at Bellamy.

'Do you want some?' He yelled at her.

'Come on then,' She yelled.

He strode toward her, flicking the knife toward her. The tip of the silver blade sliced open her cheek, but she bit her tongue; stopping any noise from leaving her mouth.

He went to do it again but Clarke stopped him; 'She's not going to be able to help us. We need to save Finn.'

The Blake boy nodded tensely, looking away as he went back to whipping Lincoln. Byrd walked back over to the wall, her eyes looking around for something to cause some harm. Lincoln's pained yelled echoed throughout the room, Bellamy's breaths becoming laboured as he grew tired.

'Please stop!' Octavia cried.

'Clarke! He's getting worse!' Raven's frantic call sounded.

'We're running out of time,' Clarke stated as she rushed forward; 'Which one? Which one is it? If you tell us, they'll stop... Please tell us which is the antidote and they'll stop this.'

Lincoln's chest heaved as he stared down at the girl, not saying a word.

'If that doesn't work, maybe this will,' Bellamy moved to grab a thick, sharp stick of metal with a bar on it that fit perfectly in his hand; 'Clarke, you don't have to be here for this.'

'I'm not leaving until I get that antidote,' Clarke replied.

The boy moved to stand by one of Lincoln's hands, holding his eye.

'Last chance,' He stated.

He waited a second for a reply, but none came. He plunged the rod through the grounder's hand, nothing but a pained grunt coming from the man as his hand shook furiously. Everyone looked away, besides Byrd, who watched the blood drip onto the ground.

'What's taking so long?' Raven's voice brought her from her trance; 'He stopped breathing.'

'What?' Clarke gasped.

'He started again, but next time, he might not.'

'He won't tell us anything,' Bellamy sighed.

'Want to bet?'

Raven strode across the room and ripped a wire from the wall, splitting it in half.

'What are you doing?' Bellamy asked.

'Showing him something new,' Raven replied.

Lincoln tried to move away from the sparks Raven shot at his feet, grunts leaving his mouth. Byrd finally manged to get the jaggered piece of metal she had found into her hand, digging it under the hook holding her chains. She spun around when the lights faded out, Lincoln's yells echoing in the air. Raven hitting him with the electricity, his body jolting around.

'You crazy bitch,' She yelled; 'Stop it!'

'You want some?' Raven turned to her.

'Try me.'

'Drew, shut her up,' Bellamy demanded.

Raven hit Lincoln with the live wires again, Byrd struggling against the auburn haired boy sent to shut her up.

'Which one is it?' Raven yelled; 'Come on! He's all I have.'

'No more!' Octavia screamed.

Everyone paused besides Raven who continued to yell, 'He's letting Finn die.'

'Octavia, no!' Bellamy exclaimed as he watched his sister slice open the inside of her wrist with the poisoned knife.

'He won't let me die,' Octavia stated.

'Octavia, what the hell did you-'

She avoided Bellamy's grip and knelt down in front of Lincoln, tapping the knife in front of a vial.

'Is this it?' She asked; 'Huh?'

She moved onto the next one, Lincoln craning his neck to look at it. Octavia lifted it so he could see it better, letting him study it before he nodded subtly.

'Good,' She cheered.

She handed it off to Clarke quickly, letting the blonde and Raven race back down the ladder to save Finn. Octavia wrapped fabric around her arm to stop the bleeding, Bellamy leaning down to help her. But she moved away from his grip, shuffling away from him slightly.

'Don't touch me,' She spat.

'You can leave now,' Byrd hissed at the boy standing in front of her.

He moved away slowly, letting her gaze fall upon Lincoln's heaving shoulders as he held Octavia's gaze; Bellamy looking between them both concerned. He looked at her, guilt in his eyes as he watched the blood roll over her skin; staining it red.

/\/\/

Clarke appeared half an hour later, her eyes puffy and eyes red from crying. She placed the bucket of water down by Lincoln, shakily removing the rod from the man's hand. Byrd sat with her eyes closed, resting her burning cheek against the cool metal. She listened to the water drip as the blonde wrung out the cloth, her faint footsteps sounding soon after.

'Hey,' Her soft voice spoke firmly; 'Look, I need to clean this.'

'He's not going to do it,' She drawled without opening her eyes.

'Here. Let me try,' Octavia's voice sounded.

The Delani girl pried an eye open to watch Lincoln let Octavia begin to clean his wound, smirking to herself.

'I never wanted him to get hurt, Octavia,' Clarke spoke after a minutes; 'You have to know that. I just wanted to save Finn.'

'For the record, you didn't save Finn,' The Blake girl chastised; 'That was me. But whatever you want to tell yourself to feel better.'

The sound of dripping water sounded again, before footsteps grew closer. Byrd didn't need to open her eyes to know Clarke was approaching her, causing her to sigh.

'You touch me, Blondie,' She stated; 'I'll stab you in the thigh.'

She listened to the girl sigh before the footsteps retreated before they faded away as the blonde disappeared down the ladder, leaving the room in silence.

'I'm so sorry,' Octavia whispered to Lincoln; 'You saved my life and look look at the thanks you get... I never wanted any of this to happen to you.'

There was another pause before Lincoln's hoarse voice spoke softly, 'Thank you.'

'Hey,' Miller spoke up; 'He just say something?'

'No,' Octavia replied.

'You know your brother doesn't want you up here, Octavia. Let's go.'

Byrd looked over at the dark haired girl, running her tongue over her teeth.

'What about me? Do I just get to lay in my own blood?' She called.

Miller sighed, 'You've got two minutes.'

Octavia rushed over to her with a wet cloth, cautiously running it over her skin.

'I forgive you,' The Delani girl whispered; 'You did good.'

She received a nod in reply, the cool cloth ridding of the dry blood that lingered on her skin.

'Bring me some food if you can,' She added to her statement.

'I'll try,' Octavia replied just as softly before she stood.

The younger girl dropped the cloth to the ground, making a beeline for the manhole before she disappeared from sigh. Byrd held Miller's guilty gaze for a second before she shook her head, turning her head away to lean her cheek against the cool metal once more; closing her eyes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 2.3K 55
Today's the day. The day that I was to die. Having had time to mentally prepare myself, I was accepting of it. Little did I know that my fate was no...
654K 21.8K 34
❝You don't get to give up, you hear me? You fight and you don't stop until you're dead. Giving up is how the weak admit defeat... are you weak?❞ The...
89.9K 3.3K 44
𝐀𝐓𝐎𝐌𝐈𝐂 𝐌𝐀𝐍 | ❛ the little bit he learned about outer space is it's gotta destroy before it creates! ❜ or, in which they are two sides of th...
34.7K 628 27
REWRITTEN. 'We will fall, but we will get back up again.' --- It's been ninty-seven years since a nuclear apocalypse killed everyone one earth, leavi...