His Number

Af ForeverYoung411

Charlotte Everley and her best friend had a tradition. Every summer on June 26th, they call one number--one... Mere

His Number
Chapter Two-Out of Character
Chapter Four- Just Like Her
Chapter Five- Meeting the Johnsons
Chapter Six- The White House and Hot Guys
Chapter Seven- Nameless Numbers
Chapter Eight- Nelson's Orphanage
Chapter Nine- Too-Familiar Faces
Chapter Ten- Pretty Little Thing
Chapter Eleven- The Caterpillar Revolution
Chapter Twelve- IOUs
Chapter Thirteen- Checkers.
Chapter Fourteen- Staring Contests
Chapter Fifteen- The Daily News
Chapter Sixteen- Handicap-Only Restrooms
Chapter Seventeen- Just Curious
Character List!
Chapter Eighteen- Learnt Lessons
Chapter Nineteen- 'Stranger Douche'?
Chapter Twenty- Detours
Chapter Twenty One- The Haze

Chapter Three- Unexpected Phone Calls

352K 8.8K 2.1K
Af ForeverYoung411

Chapter three! Thank you for those of you who fanned and or voted! You guys are amazing. No doubt about it. And yall encourage me to keep righting! :p

I hope ya'll enjoy it and/or give me feedback!(:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Three- Unexpected Phone Calls

Ryder Johnson

"I mean it man, you gotta get me out of here."

"Yeah 'cause I'm going to risk my life to get pass security and sneak you out." He snickers. Grunting, I run my hands through my hair, frustrated. Pacing around the room, I try to think of escape routes.

"Besides, you know it's your fault you're grounded." I skid to a stop.

"Don't. Use that word." I grind out. He snickers again. And of course, doesn't listen.

"Little, eighteen year old Ryder's grounded!" He sings. I roll my eyes as I plop down onto a chair.

Why was I friends with this prick again?

You know why, a voice says in my head. I shake my head, ridding it of the onslaught of thoughts to come. Then I let out a sharp exhale.

"Fine, if you won't help, I'll figure it out myself." I end the call quickly and stuff my phone into my pocket. Then I look around.

Walking toward the window, I push the curtains away and look around.

"Let's see." I stare hard at the outside; so close, yet so far at the same time. "A gate. Trees. . ." I trail off as I see one of our chefs, Mason, taking out the trash on my left. "If he works on the first floor and I'm at the third floor...that means that I'll have to pass two flights of stairs."

I think for a moment. "Damn, how many guards is that?"

Then I stare hard at Mason, who was returning from throwing away the trash.

How'd he get out? I think to myself as he disappears from my view.

A knock on the door disrupts my thoughts.

"Mr. Johnson."

I curse under my breath. But nevertheless, I answer. "Yes?"

The door opens as I move away from the window, running a hand through my hair. Maxwell steps in, wearing his usual suit and closed-off posture.

Being with my family since I was little, Maxwell was practically family. One of my dad's good friends, head of security, and was practically my second dad.

But then I changed. And he's called me "Mr. Johnson" ever since. But, hey. That's a story for another time.

"Max.." I said wryly. His facial expression remained stoic.

"It's Maxwell." He corrects. I clenched my jaw.

"What does he want?" I snap, my patience lost. I see his jaw clench as well.

"Your parents want to speak to you." He says. I open my mouth to tell him that there was no way in hell I was going, since they quote-unquote "grounded me" and had to add that I "couldn't leave this room". But before I could get a word out, he says something into his walkie talkie, making a group of body guards walk into the room not three seconds later. The protest dies in my mouth.

"These guys will be accompanying you there. Just so you don't get any ideas." I glance at the six bulky guys around now around me.

"You guys think of everything, don't you?" I said sarcastically. He purses his lips and ignores my comment.

We walked out of my room and I glare at the back of 'Maxwell's head as he walked in front of me.

Does he really think I'm that weak? I think to myself, flickering my eyes to the guards around me. I didn't want to have to resort to this-but now, it looks like I'll have to. I think as I evaluate the circle of guards surrounding me.

We walked on. Then, we reached the end of a hallway in which it splits into two; each going in opposite directions.

I smirk.

Right when we make a sharp left, I dig my elbow in to the guard behind me, taking him by surprise. Moving my right fist back, I knock him on the side of the head. He rebounds into the wall, ramming his head onto it with a thud. Well, that's one. Punching guard number two in the jaw, I then kick guard number three in the gut. In a split second, I see one of them reach for my wrist. Okay, I think to myself, let's see what you want to do. Once he grabs it, I recognize his position instantly.

I smirk again.

Twisting my wrist and arm, I pull my other elbow and knock it into his; just close enough to break it. His face scrunches in agony as he falls to the ground, clutching his arm. Then I feel somebody grab hold of my forearms. I smirk, for what seemed like the fiftieth time today.

Sprinting forward towards the wall in front of me, I leap off of it, doing a flip in mid-air. The guard lets go of my forearms in surprise. Landing back on my feet behind him, I low kick on his shins, knocking him over. I turn around, eager to face the remaining guards. Well, now looking at them, I guessed that they were trainees. I see the rest of then standing next to Maxwell, unmoving. He stares hard at me for two seconds, but then nods. And as if a dam were broken, they all came at me. I smile as they advanced.

Time for some fun.

"Not bad."

Maxwell's posture remains unchanged, but his eye has a spark of pride in it.

Was that..for me? I smirk at him, my breath wavering a little.

"Underestimating me?" His lip twitches.

"You have five seconds before back-ups arrive." My eyebrows raise subconsciously. Was he giving me a way out?

Nevertheless, I turn away from him and sprint in the other direction. I nearly run pass a flight of stairs. Looking up, I see a sign that reads, "Employee Staircase" and without a second delay, I dart down the stairs.

Before I can reach the second floor, I heard commotion behind me.

"Shit." I say subconsciously. When he said five seconds he wasn't kidding, I thought as I pushed my legs faster down the last flight of stairs. When I land on the last step, I hear a loud, "Stop him!"

I speed down a random hallway, hoping to lose them. But no, these guards are smarter. Making a quick turn, I enter a random room; which was, thankfully, empty. Then I lay my back against the wall, trying to restrain my rapid breathing. I look at the window across from me with a victorious smile. I hear them pause outside the room, freezing any movement I had made towards it.

"Where'd he go?"

"Are you sure he turned this way?"

"Maybe he turned that way?"

"QUIET." I heard Maxwell say sternly, making them all hush.

Then, it was silent.

I got a passion in my pants and I'm not afraid to show it, show it, show it. I'm sexy and I-

"SHIT!" I cursed loudly, knowing that I blew my hiding place. I quickly run away from the door just as they burst in. They filed in quickly; Maxwell with a pleased look on his face. He opened his mouth to speak, but I held a finger up and pointed to my phone in an exaggerated motion.

Then I sigh and pick up the call. With as bright of a voice I could muster, I spoke.

"Hello?" I take a quick glance at the many guards in the room, making the room look a hell of a lot smaller.

"Er, um, hi." A feminine, shy voice replied. I furrow my eyebrows as I direct my attention to my phone. Whoever this girl was, her voice was..melodic. It sounded good. Smooth; like milk. "Who is this?"

And despite myself, I chuckle. This girl really chose a great time to call. And to the wrong number too. Then I heard the guards make their leave out of the room, talking on their walkie talkies once they got outside. I open my mouth to reply but was interrupted by none other than Maxwell, who'd stayed behind.

"Mr. Johnson, your parents are waiting." I clench my jaw as the anger finally hits me. I turn towards him, my head away from my phone. The pleasant look he came in with was wiped off his face, replaced by the usual stoic look he had when dealing with me, and only me.

"I'll be there." I grind out. He looked at me for a second and left the room, probably knowing that I wasn't in the mood for any of his talk today. Not that he talked to me much usually, anyway. Unknowingly, I curse at him, not really meaning it.

"Hello?"

"Oh right, you're still there." I say, looking at the window distractedly.

"Yea.." I look at my phone, confused. Why didn't she hang up yet?

"Look," I said, turning away from the window. "I don't know who you are or how the heck you got my number," Or why you called at the worst time possible, I think. "But it's clear that you've got the wrong person."

I hear her reply, but I'm too busy being irritated by the whole situation.

"Besides, I don't need annoying teenage girls bugging me all day." I say under my breath as I turn back to the window. To my surprise, I see Cole's car driving into the driveway. Just as I'm about to end the call, I hear her smooth voice respond.

"You don't need to act like a dick about it."

Woah. Where'd this tone come from? Recovering from my surprise, I put my phone back to my ear.

"Sweetheart, you're the one that called the wrong number; that means I can be a dick if I want to." I retort. " Especially when you ruined my perfect escape." I added, under my breath. Thankfully, she didn't hear that. And besides, even if it isn't a perfect escape, least I still have a chance of getting out. I fingered the latch of the window, smiling.

"Trust me, if I knew it was going to be a douche that would pick up the phone, I would have never called." She snaps. I almost laugh. I bet she looked like a kitten when she was angry. Well, least she sounded sexy while at it. As I'm about to reply, she cuts in, her voice as sexy as hell until her last two words.

"And don't call me 'Sweetheart' unless you're, like, thirty, Mr. Johnson."

I don't even think; I just act as I felt my blood pressure rise. "You little-," But then I hear a click, and then nothing. I let out a string of curse words.

How dare she?! I think, pacing on the floor. Does she even know who I am? Then I come to a stop. She said my last name, so of course she did. Or did she hear Max say that?

Whatever. I shake my head and run a hand through my hair. Who needs her anyway? I look back at the window, I wonder if I should risk triggering the security alarm to open it. I pause.

Screw it. Fingering the latch of the window once again, I stop once a knock comes from the door.

"You have two minutes, Mr. Johnson." Clenching my jaw, I answer in the most civil voice I can muster.

"Yes, Maxwell," I managed to spit out. Waiting two seconds, I unlatch the window as quietly as possible, along with the series of locks with it. Nothing. From the corner of my eye, I see a red light shining across the width of the window. Barely visible, but still there. So I can't touch the light. I conclude. Or it'll trigger an alarm.

Sticking my right foot out first, then my upper body, I hold my breath as I lift my left leg.

"Hey, douchebag!"

"Shit!" Taking me by surprise, I fumble to the ground as my left shin hits the bottom of the window. Raising my head, I see Cole smiling goofily at me. Before I can yell at him, I heard a door slam open.

"RYDER!" Maxwell bellowed. And that's when the sound of sirens finally hits me.

"Go go go!" I whisper to Cole, who immediately leads my way to his car that he'd parked within view.

Once in his truck, he immediately puts it into drive. Turning my head back, I see Maxwell's head sticking out of the window, glaring straight at me. For a second, I feel a flash of regret, but I quickly push the thought away and turn my head forward.

I was the famous Ryder Johnson.

And Ryder Johnson didn't care. Not anymore, anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope ya'll enjoyed! Now go do what you gotta do! (: Thank you for reading<3

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

18.5K 1.5K 63
Accept call from: Unknown number Call declined 6 texts from unknown number Castiel: Who are you? Unknown number: Sorry man, wrong number
87 10 17
It took a day to meet. A day to fall in love. A day to ... When Max sees Calli that particular day it's almost as if fate has given him a new direct...
4.3K 199 25
you participated in the school's computer matching activity. what kind of boy could be your match?
8.5K 382 43
Have you ever considered how two people can fall in love by writing a paper? I started to write this story in June 2016, I was 15 years old. I didn't...