The Redemption of Severus Sna...

Por ShadyGrim

I toyed w/the idea that if Lily could love Snape-albeit in a solely friendly way-then so could someone else i... Mais

Prologue
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
Part 66
Part 67
Part 68
Part 69
Part 70
Part 71
Part 72
Part 73
Part 75
Part 76
Part 77
Part 78
Part 79
Part 80
Part 81

Part 74

217 8 1
Por ShadyGrim

Severus and Lin appeared in a long dark alley. Severus' wand was already drawn. His other hand held Lin's tightly. She wanted to tell him to stop being paranoid but, in truth, they were still in danger. Straggling members of the Dark Lord's regime were still free and still hunting them and likely would for the remainder of their lives. Severus had been a high-level spy his entire adult life; it wasn't something he could just turn off. He held his wand just below chest-level, a spot that allowed him an easier defense against incoming spells while still allowing for a rapid offensive attack. Severus turned slowly, his wand at the ready. He didn't utter a sound, even his breathing was controlled and silent. Lin could tell by his posture and intense focus that he was using non-verbal spells to determine if there were any lurkers in the alley or if there were any harmful spells lingering. Severus' body language was naturally very subtle and difficult to read; a slight movement of his shoulders told Lin that all was well. He released her hand, and she immediately grabbed hold of her dress to lift it above her ankles.

"Really, Severus, a filthy alley?"

"It's safer than walking blindly into a crowd."

Once Severus was satisfied that no one was looking, they exited the alley and joined the line of people that were filing into the opera house. It took an approximate three seconds for Lin to spot someone she knew. And naturally it couldn't be one or two people that she knew, it had to be a crowd of six, who were pointing to yet more friends of hers that were farther back in line. Severus grumbled to himself. If there were such a thing as Purgatory, Severus was sure he was in it. He was engulfed in a crowd of strangers who treated him like they'd known him for years and worst of all, they touched him. He could tolerate the ladies placing their hands on his arms and patting him, but other men doing it was a step too far. He held his temper for Lin's sake. The overly cheerful rabble all spoke and laughed in unison. Severus likened the noise they made to a hive of worker bees until someone said something that really annoyed him.

"Yes, Janet said he was a bit of a grump."

And Lin replied with; "It's just his way."

"I beg your pardon?" said Severus acidly.

Lin didn't get a chance to reply as a tall gangly teenager, wearing an ill-fitting and garish-looking purple and gold jacket that signified he was an employee of the opera house, told the noisy little crowd that the show was soon to start. Severus breathed a sigh of relief as the little crowd dispersed, but the pleasantness was short lived.

"Remember me, Lin?" said the spotty teen.

Lin appeared puzzled for only a split-second, then declared: "Henry! Oh, it's been so long. You were just a little boy last time I saw you." Lin embraced the spotty teen and patted his face affectionately when she released him. "You're all grown up now. I can't believe it." Henry's thin bony chest puffed with pride. "And how are your Mum and Dad?"

"Well, everyone's well."

"And Cynthia?" said Lin.

"Doing fine now..."

Severus eyed the boy. He seemed so familiar yet Severus couldn't place him. It was the mention of 'Cynthia' that jogged his memory. "You're a Moorehead," stated Severus, and Henry was taken aback slightly.

"Um...yes...how did you...?" All the color in Henry's face drained as his eyes widened in recognition. "YOU'RE PROFESSOR SNAPE!"

"Say it a bit louder, the other half of London didn't hear you."

Henry's tall lanky frame seemed to have shrunk and appeared to be trying not to implode on itself. Lin placed her hand on Henry's arm to steady him. "You know each other?"

"His sister, Cynthia, was a student of mine."

"Oh, how nice," said Lin cheerfully despite knowing by Severus' silky tone of voice that he didn't like the girl. "A Gryffindor?"

"Hufflepuff," stated Severus as though the word itself were painful to utter.

"Was she in the skirmish?" said Lin softly.

"Yeah," replied Henry equally quietly. "She was hurt, but not badly. She works for the Ministry now as a legal aide. She does mostly domestic stuff like child welfare cases and such."

"Oh, that's wonderful," replied Lin.

"You're going to be late," said Henry, nodding in reply to Lin. "Let me get you to your seats."

Severus trailed behind as Lin and Henry chatted. He cringed when Lin promised to visit Henry's family. Henry directed them to the center of the row, a few rows behind the orchestra. Lin, of course, had to speak with everyone she passed on the way to her seat. She received smiles and pleasant replies; Severus mostly received and offered glares. Lin shifted her attention back to Severus as she sat down.

"Mario invited us to his restaurant after."

"I though you made reservations?" replied Severus.

"I did. This will be after dinner."

"We're going to eat two dinners? I'm not a Weasley, you know."

"Don't be silly," replied Lin. "We're going after we eat, and after Mario's is closed."

"For what?"

"To socialize," explained Lin.

"Isn't that what we're doing now?"

"No, Severus, it isn't."

The gentleman sitting in front of Severus turned in his seat to show his annoyance. Severus glared at him and the man turned back around.

"I thought the purpose of going into a restaurant was to eat, not socialize."

"This may sound shocking to you, Severus, but some people combine the two." Severus groaned and rolled his eyes. "If it's that difficult for you, just pretend to eat and no one will bother you."

"Ugh, I've already lost my appetite."

"Don't lie. I know you like Italian food."

"I do?"

"You never complain when I make it," said Lin.

"Is that what you call it?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" said Lin tartly.

"It didn't mean anything," answered Severus.

"It sounded like a vague off-handed criticism of my Italian cooking."

"Of course not," grumbled Severus, but Lin's expression showed that she wasn't convinced, so Severus elaborated. "We have a simple partnership, Lin. You cook the food, and I eat it. I neither said nor inferred anything beyond that."

The gentleman in front of Severus turned again and said: "Will you please be quiet? The performance is starting."

Severus threw the man a withering look, but Lin intervened. "Yes, of course, my apologies." The man smiled quickly and nodded at Lin, darted an unpleasant look toward Severus, and turned in his seat to face the stage.

Severus glanced at his wristwatch. Lin patted his arm. "Relax."

"Couldn't you have found better sitters?"

"We've been through this, Severus."

"But those two of all people."

"Hush, it's starting," said Lin.

Severus fidgeted, annoying the people behind and next to him. He spent most of the time observing the audience rather than watching the performance. Lin seemed to be enjoying the caterwauling, but Severus was getting a headache. "Couldn't you have found a few spare Weasleys?" he whispered softly. "There's got to be dozens of them."

"Shh," replied Lin, with another pat on his arm.

Severus sighed in irritation. "If anything happens to my son—"

The man in front turned sharply. "Shh!" Severus reached for his wand arm, but Lin caught his hand. "Sorry," she whispered to the annoyed gentleman.

"Both Nikki and Teddy will be fine, now hush."

Severus managed to be quiet for the rest of the performance. He didn't get the opportunity to badger Lin at the intermission because she was immediately surrounded by a crowd of her annoying friends. Severus was careful to memorize faces and names. The opera house was thronged with people milling about, which made Severus nervous. His old habits hadn't left him, and his senses were as keen as ever. He watched for unusual behaviors, like people watching him for too long, or loners skirting the room. He listened to conversations, careful to identify anything that sounded like cloaked speech. As far as he could tell, the only magical people there were Lindsay and himself.

It was a blessing when the performance was over, and Severus could finally walk outside into the cool night air. He practically dragged Lin away from her friends on the pretense that they'd be late for their dinner reservation. He could tell that Lin's friends didn't like him, which suited him just fine. He heard them talking about him as he pulled Lin away from them. "Not very nice looking, is he?" said Angela, Mario's sister. "I'm more bothered by his surly attitude," replied another female whom Severus thought was called Thelma. "Still," replied Angela, "she's so pretty, she could easily get a handsomer man." A dark masculine voice was the last Severus could hear. "Lin's always kept company with oddballs." That was Mario, Severus was sure of it.

They disapparated as soon as they were out of sight and hearing of any Muggles and reappeared behind a small but noisy restaurant. This time it was Lin who'd led Severus. This was the sort of establishment that one would have to consciously look for in order to find. Lin seemed to have a fondness for out-of-the-way places and a skill for finding them. The small cozy atmosphere was even more repellent to Severus than the crowded opera house. It's difficult to blend into a place like this, and even more difficult to leave unnoticed should the need arise. This was the sort of place people frequented to be noticed, to feel welcomed. They were seated immediately, and the first thing Severus said was; "How do you know Mario?"

"I met him through a friend of a friend," said Lin casually as she perused the menu. "Decisions, decisions; everything looks so good, it's hard to choose just one."

"Care to elaborate?"

"I see about four entrees—"

"I'm not talking about the menu," growled Severus.

"I know," answered Lin.

"Don't make me ask a second time."

Lin set down her menu. "It's perfectly normal for a friend to introduce someone who also becomes a friend; there's nothing insidious in the process." That may well be true, but every friend Severus ever had was a friend out of necessity or convenience, except for Lily.

Lin was reticent and getting annoyed, so Severus tried another angle. "I was just making conversation. Mario seems to be an old friend, and I'm curious about him."

"Nice try, but you should know by now that I'm not quite that easy manipulate."

"What if I asked nicely?" This made Lin laugh.

"Mario and I never dated. He was happily attached when I met him, and is still happily attached today."

Severus breathed a sigh of relief, his jealousy abated and they enjoyed a well-prepared dinner accentuated by good conversation. Severus could be fascinating company when he chose to be. His conversation was never lighthearted or amusing, but was agreeable and sharply intellectual. Leaving the charming little bistro would've been the perfect end to a moderately enjoyable evening if they didn't have to see Mario before going home. Once again Lin led the way; she apparated them into a small dark alley that was obviously very close to a restaurant because the smell of food was quite strong.

"An alley?" said Severus.

"Yes, my love, but not for the reason you think." Lin walked to a locked side-door and rapped loudly. A voice on the other side of the door spoke Italian. Severus wasn't sure what had been said, but it sounded like a question. "Mario's fabula togato," said Lin, and the voice behind the door laughed heartily and opened it. "Inside joke," whispered Lin to Severus.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

45K 805 61
warning ⚠️ this story may contain surten triggering topics such as: deppresion , self harm , abuse, rape, alcholisme and other mental health topics. ...
12K 233 24
Follow Alex Potter and Severus Snape through a journey of life, btw no Voldemort because it would pain me to much, James and lily are still dead. So...
67K 1.6K 39
Reader is a student at Hogwarts, and a super rebel with Snape. She gives him hell in every way she can to break his stern behavior, she teases him un...
50.2K 1.4K 31
Sequal from Snape X reader -a fine line- (but can be read without reading part one) The war is over. Severus and Y/N survived and she was hoping for...