Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 48 Beginnings

553 46 7
By the_hooded_girl

Stone after stone skitted across the lake and ended in a satisfying splash, causing the water to ripple into small circles that quickly expanded. It did nothing to ease the pain and his throws turned more intense with every rock he picked up until they no longer skitted across the surface but merely plunged.

Tears were blurring his vision, but he refused to let them fall.

Princes didn't cry.

A few feet behind him, a lone guard stood silently, not interfering, but still dutiful keeping watch. He envied the man his stoic expression. He wished he could feel nothing. Gritting his teeth, he turned to look out over the lake.

Silent footsteps approached and the edge of a skirt appeared in his vision, small bare feet stopped next to him, just a hairbreadth away from his own.

Cyrus turned angrily to tell whoever had disturbed him to leave him alone when he looked into a pair of dark brown eyes that held a calm yet serious expression.

He knew those eyes.

For a moment he was confused as to why the girl was here, but then he realized this must be the village where she had mentioned she lived.

They looked at each other silently a moment. When she spoke, her voice was calm. "My momma died too."

He didn't question how she knew. The village wasn't that far form Auros and her father worked in the palace. He managed to keep his own voice steady, though he sounded a little hoarse. "When did she die?"

"Harvest time," she answered, "poppa said it was her lungs. Was it your momma's lungs too?"

Harvest time. That wasn't even that long ago. The weather had been particularly bad this year. Many of the servants too had fallen ill. At that time he had only been annoyed he had to get his own breakfast. Was that why her father had brought her with him to the palace that day? Because her mother was ill?

"She had a bad cough," the girl continued, "poppa said it hurt her lungs. Did your momma hurt too?"

His mother had died giving birth to his stillborn sister. The tears he had managed to suppress earlier now forced their way out, along with heavy sobs that shook his entire body.

The girl watched him silently for a while before kneeling to pick something up.

He looked at the rock she offered him and took it without hesitation, flinging it across the lake. It skitted across the surface a few times before sinking to the bottom.

The girl watched it in awe and picked up another rock. She drew her arm back and threw the stone, but it didn't even reach the water. Her undignified huff made him smile despite of his grief. "Not like that," he said and he showed her.

She picked up another rock and stood closer to the edge of the lake. A serious expression was on her face and she bit her tongue in concentration when she threw the rock, but instead of skitting across the surface, it splashed loudly into the water, splattering water all over her dress and feet.

The look on her face was priceless and made him laugh, but his laugh turned into a gasp when the girl pushed him into the lake. Small as she was, he hadn't expected the assault so he lost his balance and fell straight into the water.

Cyrus rose from the water, dripping wet, only to look into a pair of mischievous eyes. Huffing, he wrung out his tunic and glared at her. She merely grinned.

This time he was the one to grin mischievously.

The girls shrieked as he advanced on her and stared running. Cyrus chased her and caught her around the waist, tackling her to the ground.

Both laughed as Cyrus hovered over her. Cyrus' guard watched it bemused.

A loud shriek startled them. "Ethan!"

A moment later, Cyrus was tackled off of the girl by another boy his age. A fist found his cheek and Cyrus groaned in pain.

The sudden assault had startled the guard as well. He jumped into action and lifted Ethan away from Cyrus. Both Cyrus and the girl scrambled to their feet.

"Stop!" Cyrus told his guard, "he was just trying to protect his friend."

The guard dropped Ethan. Ethan and the girl both stared at Cyrus. Only now they seemed to realize who he was and they both dropped to one knee.

Cyrus held out his hand to Ethan and helped the boy up. Next to him, the girl giggled and helped up her friend. "Get up Euniece."

Eunice stared at her. "But Vara, he is the prince," she whispered loudly.

"I know that, silly," Vara giggled. She turned to Cyrus. "You need dry clothes."

Cyrus looked down at his attire. "And whose fault is that?"

Vara crossed her arms. "You made fun of me."

Cyrus smirked. "You were funny."

The guard cleared his throat. "Your Highness, you really should return to the palace. You'll catch a cold."

Cyrus sighed, but relented. "Fine, I'll come." He looked at Ethan. "Take good care of her." Ethan blinked and nodded, completely stunned. Cyrus nodded too and mounted his horse. Slowly he set course to the palace.

...

She was still silent in her approach, but he could tell it was her. Still, he didn't take his eyes off the lake, even when she sat down next to him.

"Don't tell me you stayed out here all night."

"I won't tell you," Cyrus answered. He knew she was rolling her eyes. It was silent for a while.

"Life is unfair," Vara commented softly.

He agreed with that wholeheartedly. Picking up a handful of pebbles he threw them at the water one by one.

"But it's not her fault," Vara continued.

Cyrus gritted his teeth. "Did she tell you to find me?"

Vara sighed. "No. I don't think I am her favorite person right now."

Cyrus rana hand across his face. "I didn't mean to yell at her. I just don't know how to talk to her." He looked at her. "You look good, Vee."

Vara lowered her eyes. "Don't do that."

"Iason is a lucky man," Cyrus said, "I envy him."

"Cyrus..." Vara said, softly begging him not to continue.

"I want you to be happy, Vara," Cyrus said, "but I can't help how I feel. Don't blame me for that."

Vara sighed. "Then don't blame her for being upset She is your wife, far away from everything she knows and loves. All she has is you and Lucius."

Cyrus sighed and looked away. He was done talking about Ariane. It would only lead to an argument and he was sick of arguing. "What did grandfather talk to you about?" he asked instead.

Vara smiled sadly. "He talked about Aelia."

Cyrus looked at her surprised. "My mother?" he asked confused.

Vara nodded. "He adored her. He still grieved her death. He called her a breath of fresh air."

Cyrus smiled at the memory of his mother. "She was a great woman, didn't care much for conventions. And she always had time for us."

"I wish I could have met her," Vara said.

"She would have loved you," Cyrus told her.

"I remember you coming here after she died," Vara said softly.

Cyrus nodded. "She used to come here on warm days. It reminded her of home. When my brothers were still alive, she took them too, but after I was born, father wouldn't allow it anymore. I guess I just wanted to see this place for myself." He looked at her. "He adored you too, you know. He always laughed when we had gotten ourselves in trouble again."

Vara laughed. "He would always pretend to be so serious when berating us, but you could tell he was amused by the twinkle in his eye."

Cyrus swallowed and rubbed his eyes. "I can't believe he's gone."

"I know," Vara whispered. She blinked back her own tears. She took a deep breath. "We should head back. The first lords will be arriving to pay their respects."

Cyrus let out a dry laugh. "So it is my father who sent you."

Vara sighed. "You can't hide here forever, Cyrus."

"Why not?" he countered, "I can see myself farming. How hard could it be?"

Vara raised an eyebrow. "Farming? You? Shoveling manure?"

Cyrus scrunched his nose. "Maybe not."

Vara laughed softly. "You're such a spoiled brat."

He smiled. "I've missed your laugh."

"Cyrus..." Vara protested, but he shook his head.

"I hate this wall that was erected between us. I wish it could be like before, when we could still talk to each other without restrictions."

Vara sighed. "I miss that too, but things are different now. It will never be like it was before."

Cyrus sighed. "I love you, Vee. I need you."

"And you still have me," Vara assured him, "I will always be there, but we can't be together. You and I both know it. We've always known it."

Cyrus shook his head bemused. "How could that man of yours ever let you out of his sight?"

Vara smirked. "He is waiting in the village."

Cyrus tilted his head. "So he doesn't trust you with me?"

"Oh, he trusts me," she answered, "it's you he doesn't trust."

Cyrus laughed. "He still let you come here alone."

"Because I told him I could handle you," Vara commented dryly, "but if we don't return soon he might come look for us. I won't take responsibility for his actions."

Cyrus let out a dry laugh. "Let's not test his patience then." He stood up and helped Vara to her feet. "Thank you, Vara," he said and he kissed her cheek, "go find that husband of yours."

Vara frowned concerned. "What about you?"

"I'll come home in a bit," he promised.

Still feeling worried, she studied him more closely. "You're not going to ride off, are you? Your father will skin me."

"No he won't," Cyrus smirked, "he'd sooner send out a hunting party to drag me back. I'll catch up with you, I promise."

Vara bit her lip and nodded. "Okay."

Cyrus cupped her cheek. "I'll see you at home."

...

Ariane took a deep breath and wiped her eyes. She had been crying all night.

He hadn't come back.

Where had he been all night?

Normally she would find comfort with lady Eurydice, but Ariane didn't want to disturb her now. The woman had enough on her mind at the moment with the funeral arrangements.

Sighing she walked over to Loukios' bed. The boy was sound asleep. It was a good thing he didn't know yet what was going on around him.

Ariane sighed again. Vara. It had to be Vara. Why could it not have been some unknown mysterious woman he loved? She could have accepted that. She could have lived with that. But knowing it was someone close to her, someone she knew, that was almost unbearable.

The door opened and Ariane looked up hopeful, but it was only Althea, her new personal maid since Chloe had left with Vara. The woman went about her tasks quietly and firmly like Ariane wasn't even there.

Ariane equally ignored her and sat down at her son's crib. He was all she had left now. She couldn't afford to lose him too. Gently, she caressed the boy's cheek. He would grow up strong, not wanting for anything. She would make sure of that.

He would be loved, a prince of the nation, adored by all. And one day he would be king.

Ariane sighed again and watched him sleep. He still looked so innocent. She was going to make sure it stayed that way for as long as possible.

...

She found him with Ethan and Euniece, staring into a cup of wine. Next to it was a plate with bread and cheese. Eunice was folding laundry on the bed nearby. Over the fire was a kettle that smelled like stew.

When she entered the house, Iason looked up. Vara smiled at him. "Ready?"

"I was only waiting for you," he answered. He looked around her. "Where is he?"

Vara sighed. "He told me he'd catch up, that we should ride ahead."

"Is everything alright?" Iason asked concerned. He wasn't too thrilled the king had told Vara to bring back his son, but he understood why. Cyrus was more inclined to listen to Vara than to anyone else.

Vara sat down next to him and looked at her hands. "He's had a fight with Ariane."

"That is not your problem," Iason told her kindly, "you are not responsible for him."

"I know," Vara said quietly, "but it feels like it's my fault."

Euniece turned around with the stack of folded laundry in her hands. She shook her head at Vara. "I agree with Iason, Vee," she said, "no matter how you two feel of felt about each other, he's made a commitment to someone. He is a father now. He will be king someday. You moved out of the palace for a reason. You are happy with Iason. Cyrus needs to solve his own problems."

Vara sighed and rubbed her temple. "I just want to go home."

Eunice smiled sympathetically. "Why don't you and Iason stay for dinner? We can add two plates. It's no trouble."

Vara smiled back at her sadly. "You don't know how much I'd want to, but I have obligations. The king expects me back to receive the lords from the province. There's so many formalities..."

Iason looked at her sadly. Before, he hadn't realized how limited their freedom was. Yes, they could retreat to Boncini, but when the king summoned them, they had no choice in the matter. He placed a hand on hers. "Well, I suppose those formalities can wait a little longer. After all, the prince isn't ready to be found either."

Vara managed a smile and looked at him gratefully. "I suppose that is true," she said.

Across the table, Eunice grinned at her and picked up the stack of laundry. She rounded the table and pressed the stack into Vara's hands. "There you go. Go make yourself useful." She stuck out her tongue and grinned mischievously. "I'll go grab two plates."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.9K 865 52
A high trained Assassin is betrayed by her former lover, also known as the Royal's Son. The story takes place in Elisora, known for it's dark secrets...
567K 15.7K 31
He did not love her. It was a loveless marriage to him. In his eyes, she is just a burden who cooks food for him. And in return, he will earn money a...
6.8K 261 32
A servant's daughter befriends the prince and finds an unlikely friendship. One that would be greatly scrutinized. Pushed and pulled, the prince has...
139 1 5
Two strong and independent women. One, who is obvious at what she does. The other, who maintains her subtlety. One, who kills professionally to prote...