2103: Martial Law (Love in Da...

By SkyWrites102

"All I knew was, if you lived another day, I shall marry you." Set in the year 2019, where the current Presid... More

She is fiery
She is compassionate
She has Morals
She will not take any social injustice
Our First Date
Waited for the sun to come up
Demonstrations
Stand-Offs
We held hands
Treason
Another day
Edwardo Jopson: Remembering and Honoring
I will not be afraid
You smiled...
Bala
Ospital
Comatose
How I fought for your Mother
Love... For the country.
Resources

Mocha Colored Skin

1.9K 29 2
By SkyWrites102

Her skin is the color of Mocha, with eyes as black as ebony.

February 4, 2018
Vinzons Hall
U.P. Diliman

I always wondered if it would be possible to be close to her, the first time I have seen her, she was a UP Law student, we were orgmates. She was a facilitator of one of the talks we held that day, about journalism. While I taught Filipino Folk Music and the beauty of Music. We were gearing up to overthrow the current regimen, to instill with our fellow students the ideas of what our forefathers once experienced. That we should never go back, never allow the country to fall back into that loop.

She is the feisty, editor-in-chief of our School's Paper, The Philippine Collegian. She was a tanned goddess, her smile is what reeled me in. Mostly though, it's her ideologies and beliefs that got me right where it hits. She doesn't take things sitting down, her morals couldn't be swayed. Her skin is the color Mocha, actually caramel on most days. Her eyes are a pool of dark black orbs, it holds me against my own will. Her name is Denise Jopson.

I am Humaling Cruz, family and friends call me Maling. I know, my name is really silly. Both of my parents were crazy for each other, but their common ground is their love of freedom and love of this country. Humaling is a Tagalog word which meant extreme fondness. My Dad was very fond of me, the moment he found out that my Mother was pregnant with me, he never stopped caring for me and my mom. Thus the name Humaling.

It was our break. Everyone dispersed with their own cliques while I was left seated at a corner, strumming my guitar and humming to myself. I looked at the Goddess who is now busy with her friends. She was so damn beautiful. After a few minutes, I decided to get my free snack at the booth, right when I was reaching for a sandwich, I felt another hand reach for it.

I was caught off guard, once I heard her say.

"Oops, I'm sorry. Here, you can have this." She smiled at me and I was out of it. She was breath taking up close. She was handing me the Sandwich I was reaching for a moment ago.

I still haven't said a word when she speaks again.

"Uhm, Hi. I said you can take this." She smiles yet again.

I was pulled out of my daydreams when her brows furrowed at me.

"Oh, no. You can take that. I'll just get another one." I politely declined.

"Thank you. I'm Denise. Denise Jopson and you are?" She asked me.

"Maling. Humaling Cruz." I said to her shyly.

"Hmmm.. Maling, parang yung luncheon meat?" She chuckled lightly.

"Uhm.. Yeah." I just nodded.

"Great, I'll see you around, Maling." She says as she walked away still chuckling. 

Her friends gathered around immediately, laughing and teasing her. She stole a glance and smiled at me. That is the first of many instances of why I fell in love with her. The seminars resumed. It was a long day of discussions, maagang natapos ang session ko. I sat under the tree, waiting for the other officers ng org namin, may meeting kasi kami after. I strummed my guitar as I waited for the others to get done with their sessions, hindi ko namalayang katabi ko na pala si Denise. Nagulat na lang ako nang magsalita ito bigla. 

"Hi Maling, galing mo pala talaga tumugtog ano?" She smiled as she fixes her blouse and proceeds to wipe her neck with a towel. 

"Ay, hindi naman." I smiled weakly at her. 

"I heard you sing once, yung acoustic rendition mo ng Pagbabalik by Asin." She smiled at me. 

"Huh? Saan mo naman ako nadinig?" Nagtataka kong tanong sa kanya, I was in my last year of Masters, wala din naman akong sinalihan na banda. 

"I heard you once, nung nasa empty classroom ka, three doors down mula sa office ng School Paper. Even before that, I already heard you sa battle of the bands." She smiled at me.

Naalala ko na doon nga pala ako naglalagi, pag may vacant ako, dahil doon din sa building na yun ang klase ko, I take a stair up, dahil katabi ng naturang classroom ay stairs paakyat sa class room ko. I always stayed there during vacant periods, dahil sa tamad kong gumala at magpabalik-balik.

"Naku, pasensiya ka na Denise. I didn't know I was disturbing you." I said to her.

"Huy, wala yun. I look forward to hearing you sing, but oddly, I never seem to catch you on time." She smiled at me.

"I can sing you a song now, for making you wait." I sheepishly smiled at her.

"Hmm, sige nga. Since we have time pa naman."

"Okay." I smiled and strummed my guitar.

******************
Denise's POV:

Maling started to play on her guitar, she strums it and I could feel the warm afternoon breeze blowing by as she started to sing.

Kung hindi rin lang ikaw ang dahilan
Pipilitin ba ang puso kong hindi na masaktan?
Kung hindi ikaw ay hindi na lang
Pipilitin pang umasa para sating dalawa.

Giniginaw at hindi makagalaw
Nahihirapan ang pusong pinipilit ay ikaw.

Kung di rin tayo sa huli
Aawatin ang sarili na umibig pang muli
Kung di rin tayo sa huli
Aawatin ba ang puso kong ibigin ka?

She stopped strumming her guitar as the seminars had been dismissed. The other officers of our group were starting to converge. It was the year 2018, the current government had done nothing but free the people involved with corruption, dahan-dahan nilang binubura ang mga ala-ala ng nakalipas, just last year, they allowed the worst person ever to be buried in the libingan ng mga bayani, former President Marcos.

This made us upset, the mourning of thousands of victims are all coming back to haunt us. Kaya heto kami, we spent the day teaching our fellow pupils about the horrors of Martial Law. We taught them how to discern what is fact from fake news. As the government seem to circulate and tolerate a lot of fake news, apat na taon pa ang bubunuin naming mga mamamayan sa current administration.

I looked on at the officers as they started to converge. This was the biggest day we organized. Hoping to invite other students in standing up against Martial Law. Urging them to speak up.

I have been hearing about Maling and her work. It was no surprise that she was popular in our University, if you look at her, she exudes so much confidence. I had a small crush on her, that was why my friends had been teasing me earlier. Speaking of which, parating na ang mga bruha. Giving me teasing looks, which made me shake my head. 

"Uy, Maling. Close pala kayo neto ni DJ?" Darcy, my best friend says.

"Ay, hindi naman Darcy. Uhm ano, kasi. Maaga lang natapos yung seminar na finacilitate namin." She smiled at Darcy.

Si Darcy ay isang bisexual habang kami naman ni Eileen ay straight.

"Guys, tara na, malapit na magstart ang meeting." Eileen says.

Si Darcy at Eileen, sila ang mga kababata ko, we have known each other since we were babies, well Eileen is my cousin, she was my first ever best friend, while Darcy was a family friend. My cousin pulled me with her. Maling followed us and listened to the officers discuss our next events. They thanked each member who facilitated the workshops and seminars. 

She was that beautiful woman, her skin was the color of Caramel. She was always perfect and active for causes that other so called Millenials would shy away from. She was the woman of my dreams, the love of my life and the light of our house. She exuded beauty that no one could ever compare to. Her eyes always lights up upon hearing good news or a bright idea.

A/N:

This story is dedicated to rastroheart, a gentle reminder for you to fight for your heart's desires. Because life although full of uncertainty, should be savored. Value and love yourself, don't think you are good for nothing, have a little faith in you. You are capable of so many things. Someday, when you wake up, you shall be Atty. E.S., You shall be fighting for the oppressed people of this country. 🙂 Can't wait to see that day!

To the readers, ang story na ito ay hango sa isang tula na isinulat ko for an open mic called Art Against Apathy, noong 2016. Yung isang tula na kalakip nito ay inadopt na for a theater play. Kasalukuyang ginagawa pa ang screenplay. Sana ay maibigan ninyo ang storya.

Pasintabi sa mga panatiko ng kasalukuyang rehimen ni Pangulong Duterte, wala akong time makipagtalo sa inyo, dahil ang tanging pakay ko lamang ay maisiwalat ang mga kahayupang ginawa ng kasalukuyang pangulo, hindi ko babaguhin ang isip mo, hindi rin Dilawan si Author, si Miriam Defensor - Santiago ang ibinoto niya, isa syang matinong tao na matagal nang umasa at niloko ng mga nagdaang rehimen, nais lang ni author ang umibig ng tapat at mahalin ng tapat, sa gitna ng kaguluhan.

Ayaw kong may mga nambabastos sa mga kababaihan, ayaw kong binabalewala ang mga tao at ang kanilang ginagawa para labanan ang paghihirap. We deserve a better government, one where no one will be killed because of police quotas and other things, ito din ang munting alay ko para sa kaibigan at kapatid kong si Konrad Fox, patuloy siyang lumalaban at nagsasalita, para sa kinabukasan ng mamamayang pilipino, para sa hinaharap ng kanyang mga pamangkin na si Tadhana at Humaling, mga anak ko na plano kong iluwal sa payapang panahon. Padayon kapatid!

"Kasalanan na ang pumikit muli, sa oras na namulat ka na."

                                               -Konrad Fox

Gising, mag-salita ka at manindigan, hindi na para sa bayan, para na lang sa sarili mo at sa hinaharap ng iyong mga anak.

Always spread love and light!

-Sky

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

736K 27.1K 102
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’œ my first fanfic...
542K 8.4K 85
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
190K 4K 46
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
1M 40.5K 93
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...