Special Someones

By mrbunnyban

Xue Ge, delinquent transfer student, just wanted to score the most beautiful girl in class. Because, well, he... More

Epigraph
Chapter 1 Migration
Chapter 2 Weird
Chapter 3 Beethoven's Fifth
Chapter 4 Pathfinding
Chapter 5 Appetizers
Chapter 6 Delta
Chapter 7 Musical Chairs
Chapter 8 Excessive
Chapter 10 Spinner
Chapter 11 Open Season
Chapter 12 Heart to heart
Chapter 13 Nuclear
Chapter 14 Suspicion
Chapter 15 Evidence
Chapter 16 Dilemma
Chapter 17 D-Day
Chapter 18 Hunted
Chapter 19 Escape
Chapter 20 Respite
Chapter 21 Sanctuaries
Chapter 22 Glimmers
Chapter 23 Cramped
Chapter 24 Tumult
Chapter 25 Pact
Chapter 26 Rally
Chapter 27 Flight
Chapter 28 Negotiations
Chapter 29 Resolve
Chapter 30 Assertion
Chapter 31 Epilogue
About Matthias
.

Chapter 9 False leads

62 8 40
By mrbunnyban

Saturday, Feb 2

Xue Ge joined Matthias and his mum for a nice breakfast of nasi lemak. The dining table was unusually large considering it was normally just Matt and Puan Afeen in the house; it even had a dining turntable in the middle with an ornate vase full of flowers.

"You're pretty quiet this morning, Matt," Puan Afeen said.

"i'm always quiet," Matthias said.

"I suspect you overdid it yesterday. You should try to pace yourself better. Now you're out of social juice. You should make an effort to talk to Xue Ge or he'll feel awkward."

Xue Ge smiled at Matt, giving him time to think of something to say.

"Xue Ge. i'd like to ask you something."

Xue Ge nodded. "Can. Ask lar."

"why do you want to date Jennifer."

Puan Afeen and Xue Ge choked on their nasi lemak.

"Matt, I'm not sure if that's an appropriate question to ask," Puan Afeen said.

"why not. he asked me to help him date her. i think it's perfectly natural for me to ask him why he wants to."

I think the point is that you shouldn't be asking in front of your mum, Xue Ge moaned to himself. "Matt, I don't know say what."

"i kind of predicted that response," Matt said, then to his mum, "mum can you help explain dating then."

"Again? We've been through this before," Puan Afeen replied.

"in the current context that explanation doesn't make sense. we're far too young to get married. so the courtship process seems pointless at this juncture."

Xue Ge noted, Again with that logic that defies common sense. "Want know her more mah. No because want marry."

"why don't you just call it something else like have a meal. the term dating is also used for courtship."

"Well, not all dating is for the purpose of courtship. Some start early to get a feel for dating. There's value in meeting different people before commiting to one. So that later one doesn't have... regrets," Puan Afeen explained.

Xue Ge felt a little uncomfortable when she put it that way.

"practice in order to better inform a future choice. to find the right lifelong match. like doves or lovebirds," Matt said.

"Yes, you could say that," Puan Afeen said, "That's an adorable comparison, Matt."

"so is going out for a meal together considered dating or not."

"Intent matters, Matt. Sometime you're just enjoying someone's company. But when it's for the purpose of dating, you're trying to find out if someone is the right fit as a partner. Or present your own good points," Puan Afeen tried to explain.

"like how male birds of paradise will dance around potential mates."

Something about that comparison made Xue Ge feel a little uncomfortable, but he couldn't quite place it yet.

While looking at Xue Ge, Matt asked his mother, "so if a guy decides to show off his best dance moves to someone that means he's trying to tell the other person that he wants to mate."

Xue Ge's eyes went wide in horror. "No, wrong! Don't think wrong things!"

"i'm not the one giving out so many mixed signals," Matt said.

What mixed signals are you talking about? Xue Ge wanted to kick Matt under the table.

Puan Afeen 'ah'-ed in understanding. "That guy"--peered at Xue Ge--"could just be showing off. Didn't Xue Ge say he wanted to date Jennifer?"

"yes. but that could be a problem considering you told me i should marry her," Matt said.

That left Puan Afeen and Xue Ge reeling. Xue Ge forced himself to ask the important question before Puan Afeen could deflect that statement; "Matt, you want marry Jennifer ah?"

"no i still have no idea why people would want to get married and have children yet. it's my mum who's having these funny ideas," Matt responded.

"Aha-ha-ha, look at the time! I have to get going. Be good, kids!" Puan Afeen 'muuuuuack'-ed Matt and hugged Xue Ge. "Bye!"

After Matthias's mum left, Xue Ge asked Matt, "She go where ah?"

"no idea. i thought she was free the whole day. you didn't really answer why you want to date Jennifer."

"Uh..." Great, I never had to really think about what I'm doing before. I don't think I should tell him some of us just want to get laid. "...Because I like her mah."

"but you like other people as well right. don't you want to date someone else too."

"Different like. I mean like... like *that*," Xue Ge explained with emphasis.

"What does like like that mean."

"Like like *that* means like like *that* lar!" Xue Ge explained with repeated emphasis.

"you just repeated the same thing. do you actually mean who you love."

"Uh... Yes? No. A bit."

"you're contradiction yourself."

"Love very difficult wan. Maybe like a lot only? Maybe love already? No know yet mah. Want to know, so go date," Xue Ge tried to explain.

"so for now you see Jennifer as a potential partner. only her since you aren't asking to date anyone else."

I think so? Xue Ge nodded. "Correct!"

#

Sunday, Feb 3

Afternoon.

Jennifer was doing some crunches on the exercise mat in her room when her phone rang next to her. A quick check revealed the name 'Annoyance' on the phone screen.

Jenn considered a moment, then put her phone down again next to her. She continued her set while letting it ring. She was in the middle of her set, after all. The caller was sure to call again.

Or so she thought. After the ringing stopped, the phone stayed silent.

Jenn sat upright and grabbed her phone, glaring at it. Wasn't it going to ring again? Should she call him back?

After all, the call could be important, Jenn reasoned to herself. Yes, that's why it matters. No other reason.

But she really didn't want to call him back. So, what to do?

Fortunately, the words 'Annoyance' flashed across the screen and it started ringing again.

Jenn sighed and took the call. "Yes, Xue Ge?"

"Let's go out! Today!" Xue Ge said.

Jenn was actually in a good mood, but she didn't let it show. "We just went out clubbing on Friday. Some of us have other things to do, you know?"

"You don't say you study. Year just only start! Some more we study so hard this week already! I no deserve reward meh?"

To be fair, Matt has really been pushing Xue Ge. I'm still wondering how that came about. "What about Matt? Doesn't he deserve a reward too?" Jenn asked.

"He say he want rest. Need recharge? Burnout? Something like that lah."

Burnout? Is that what I think it is? "Did he say autistic burnout?" Jenn checked.

"Don't know lah. I cannot remember. Actually I worry also. He look no happy after I leave," he replied.

Jenn thought about this. "I think Matt's had too many social activities in the past few days. Even if he's enjoying himself, he'll need to recuperate as it's tiring for him."

Xue Ge was quiet over the line for a moment. "What happen at club, is it?"

Fortunately for you, I already thought this through yesterday. "Maybe. But that's okay. He's slow to get used to new things. But avoiding new things only makes it worse. He has to face the world if he wants to get better at adapting." Although... maybe clubbing was pushing it. But I think Xue Ge's beating himself up about it enough already.

"Okay. Thanks Jenn," Xue Ge said, "So... want to go out?"

Nice try. "No, Xue Ge. I'm going to spend the day looking up how to train you and Matt for volleyball tomorrow," Jenn replied.

"Like that, I come over! I help you train train! ...Train to train. Train to train us."

Wait, what? "No, that doesn't make sense-"

"Ya wat? Better to train to train by training. To train. With people you want to train," Xue Ge said.

I now regret teaching Xue Ge the preposition 'to'! "Does it really make sense to train with you to train you when I can just train you tomorrow?"

Xue Ge was silent over the phone a moment. "...Jennifer. The way you talk confusing lah."

"You started it!" Jenn shouted in frustration. But in spite of herself, Jennifer couldn't help but laugh. Xue Ge laughed as well. "Xue Ge! ...You've ...infected me ...with your stupidity!" She was struggling between laughs.

Xue Ge was also struggling. "Aiya, ...you tell me ...it's good to work hard ...right? I'll go there ... (cough) Give me extra training. Then I will be useful to team."

That... almost makes sense. I should be supportive when he wants to work hard, right? "Fine, come over. I'll give you directions to my house," Jenn conceded.

#

Early evening at the Lim household. The living room.

Jennifer's parents looked concerned. "And you said yes?"

Jennifer knew what was on their minds. Wearing her sports shoes, she said, "Don't get the wrong idea dad, mum. Xue Ge's been working hard in the study group. I just want to encourage him to spend time with sports rather than dance clubs."

"Do you really think he wants to come here because he's wants to get better at volleyball?" Mrs Lim asked.

Jenn rolled her eyes. "I wasn't born yesterday. I've had plenty of guy friends come over who have other motives. Didn't hear you both complain then."

"This is the guy who transferred for hitting a teacher and was punished on the first day of school. Matt got hurt because of him," Mrs Lim said.

"And he's been good to Matt ever since. I've never seen Matt so confident as since he started leading Xue Ge in study group."

"Sounds like a parasite. Always takes but never gives back," Mr Lim said.

"Now that's really too much. He wants to teach Matt Mandarin in return." Jenn looked out the window. "He's here. Please mind your manners. He's just a boy who is trying his best to improve."

"And make moves on our daughter," Mr Lim commented.

"Shush." Jenn said discreetly, then called out to Xue Ge, "Hey Xue Ge! Stay there, I'm coming out."

Mr & Mrs Lim watched their daughter head off to meet the class delinquent.

"What is she even thinking? Is that normal for her?" Mr Lim asked his wife, worry etched across his features.

Mrs Lim shook her head and sighed.

#

Jennifer led Xue Ge to a general purpose court at the park close by, carrying a light back pack with water, towels and high energy bars. They were both dressed in sports clothes. Xue Ge was a bit disappointed how conservative Jennifer's sports clothes were today.

"Let's warm up first, then we'll see what you can do," Jennifer said.

She led him in a couple of warm up routines, followed by putting him through a battery of tests. Armed with a stopwatch, she tested him for strength, speed, endurance, and agility.

"Don't overdo it. We're just getting a general idea so I know how to train you. You've got another day of volleyball tomorrow," Jenn explained.

"Okay, I understand!" Xue Ge lied.

By the end of the tests, he was reduced to a collapsed lump of exhausted teenager.

Jenn shook her head at the boy lying on the floor. "Idiot. We haven't even started training and you've tired yourself out. I kept telling you we're just testing."

"There's more?" Xue Ge whined.

"That was not even a quarter of what I planned for you today."

"Harrrrr? Kill me already."

Don't tempt me. Jenn took this opportunity to carefully overview the results. Huh. Even considering how much he overdid it, this isn't too bad.

"How was it? Good right?" Xue Ge said, between breaths.

"Pretty impressive--"

"Hah, see!"

Jenn continued, "--for a total newbie. You've got potential but it's as of yet untapped for volleyball."

Xue Ge kind of deflated. "Oh. What position can I play?"

Jennifer considered. She wasn't really a manager, but she could make a guess based on her experience. Opposite hitter? What a waste of his speed and agility. Blockers need to be fast, but his jumping is only average. Libero and setter? Pretty big responsibilities for a new player. "Maybe a wing spiker. But it's really too early to tell. We'll know better after some proper training."

Jennifer then offered Xue Ge a hand. "Sit up at least. No good to lie down too much if you intend to do more."

Xue Ge took Jennifer's hand and used it to help pull himself up. He shouldn't have been surprised by the strength with which Jennifer used to pull him up, but he was; her grip was very sure and steady.

Xue Ge realised, Athletes really are different. "I don't think I can anymore lah. Look at me."

"Really? That's too bad," Jenn said, "You see, if you could keep going until dinner time, I thought we could have a meal together. But it looks like you'll be going home early--"

"Of course I can go on!" Xue Ge stood up immediately. "I will train hard for you!"

Yeah, I figured as much, Jenn mused.

#

Xue Ge stumbled in behind Jennifer as she walked into her home. They greeted Jennifer's parents cordially.

Hmph. And that was me going easy on you since we've got training again tomorrow, Jenn thought. "Hey mum, dad. Can Xue Ge eat dinner with us tonight?"

Out of Xue Ge's sight, Jennifer's dad gave Jenn a look which said 'Hell no!'.

"That could be tricky, Jenn. I'm not sure if I cooked enough for a fifth person tonight," Mrs Lim said.

"Really? That's too bad," Jenn said, "You see, I already promised to eat with him if he completed the training. So if he's not welcome for dinner then I'll just have to go out with him. Just the two of us--"

"Of course Xue Ge is welcome for dinner!" Mr & Mrs Lim said together. "We wouldn't dream of letting him go home hungry!"

Yeah, I figured as much, Jenn mused.

Jenn's sister perked up. "Yay, cute boy for dinner!"

Xue Ge just smiled and greeted Jenn's little sis.

"Xue Ge, I'll prepare a towel. You should shower while waiting for mum to cook. I'm going to help in the kitchen," Jenn told him.

"Which bathroom?" Xue Ge asked softly but keenly.

"You're going to use the common bathroom, Xue Ge. We don't have personal bathrooms like at Matt's place," Jenn responded dryly.

Xue Ge gave a disappointed "Oh."

Jenn understood why. You thought you were going to get in my room? Think again.

What followed was a very polite dinner filled with a lot of nervous fake smiles. Xue Ge was oblivious to it all, of course, and must have thought Jennifer's parents were ever so friendly.

#

It was late and Xue Ge had gone home. Jennifer was in her room when her phone rang. Jennifer checked the caller ID then answered immediately.

"Hello Jennifer. I hope I'm not disturbing you this late at night," Puan Afeen said over the phone.

"Not at all, auntie. What's up?" Jennifer responded.

"One of Xue Ge's friends came over earlier. Just left in fact. He wanted to check on how Matt was doing since Friday."

Jenn found that surprising. Didn't Matt tell Xue Ge that he wanted a break from seeing people? Guess he must have recovered already. "Who was it, auntie?"

"His name was Bolin. Small-sized fellow. Quite timid. I had to help him a lot to talk to Matt," Puan Afeen said.

Bolin? Who?... From the description it sounded like the guy who spent some time talking to Matt. Jenn even thought they exchanged numbers. "I think I remember him, auntie. He seemed keen on making friends with Matt that day."

"He does try. Quite adorable how hard he tries, really. But the point is, he told me something interesting. He said all of you met them at the dance club. And Matt got upset by the loud music and crowds."

Unsaid were the words 'Why didn't you tell me?'

Bolin you traitor! Are you really that dense? "Yes, that did happen," Jenn admitted, "Xue Ge can be a bit of an idiot sometimes. He had promised to take Matt to meet his friends to placate him that night. But he didn't consider that the venue was inappropriate."

Puan Afeen was queit over the phone a moment. "That's right, Matt told me how much Xue Ge wanted to introduce his friends and show off his dance moves. I guess he's a really simple-minded boy."

"He really is auntie. He was feeling really guilty about what happened to Matt, which I think wasn't totally his fault. So I really didn't want to bring it up again. I promise to keep you properly updated next time if this issue bothers you."

Puan Afeen seemed to accept that reasoning, and bid Jennifer good night.

Later, Jenn considered while lying on her bed, Why am I covering for Xue Ge?

She thought about it some more and rolled over. ...Right, because he's actually a good friend to Matt. Matt's mum shouldn't try to separate the two.

nasi lemak = coconut milk rice

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.5K 1.1K 17
"It was the best orgasm I've ever had. It was so intense that for a second there, it felt like my soul would escape through my nipples." Luke and Dan...
290K 17.8K 46
THIS IS NOT A PAID STORY. ONLY THE STORY BRANCHES ARE. YOU CAN READ THE ENTIRE BOOK FOR FREE. NOTE: This book contains intense internalized homophob...
818K 23.8K 36
George hasn't had an easy life after being diagnosed with autism. Going to a public school as an autistic, highly intelligent boy, he clearly notices...
319 28 7
Contrary to popular belief, hell really does exist on earth. More specifically, it exists in the American public high school system. If you aren't on...