The Light of Elysium

By MayaR-31

Book 1 (complete) - Veterinary student Elle wants to travel, but she doesn't plan on getting pulled into a ma... More

Author's note
Prologue
1 - Dreams
2 - The Journey Begins
3 - Not in Kansas anymore
4 - Kingdom under the Mountains
5 - No way home
6 - A New Partnership
7 - A dark encounter
9 - Down by the lake
10 - Dance of the sun and the moon
11 - The Rainbow Isles
12 - Queen's Conquest
13 - Lammas Festival
14 - Lord of the Emerald Isle
15 - Ill met by Moonlight
16 - Agape
17 - Amongst the trees
18 - Equinox
19 - Capture
20 - Lord Nero
21 - Glimmer in the dark
22 - My sweet
#31CreepyWords
23 - Leap of Faith
24 - Flight
25 - White Water
26 - Fearful symmetry
27 - Company of wolves
28 - Falling
29 - Arcadia
30 - A new dawn
31 - Mr Sullen, Mr Mischief & Mr Silent
32 - Green does not become you
33 - Battlelines
34 - Storm
35 - The wild hunt
36 - Temptation
37 - Whiplash
38 - The Chase
39 - The white knight
40 - Mid-Winter Ball
41 - Promises
42 - The Prophecy
43 - The element of air
44 - Home is where the heart is
45 - Destiny calling
46 - Icarus
47 - Journey by night
48 - A face from the past
49 - Aldebaran
50 - Trial of the White Queen
51 - Sleep, perchance to dream
52 - Lair of the Dark King
53 - Dark dreams
54 - Dark games
55 - Winter's embrace
56 - The Ice Queen and the King of Sin
57 - Politics
58 - A truth uncovered
59 - Back from the edge
60 - Muse
61 - Quandary
62 - Night under the stars
63 - Bound in blood
64 - A rolling stone
65 - Waiting for a hero
66 - Pride and Prejudice
67 - Sensibility
68 - Bedouin Night
69 - Flashpoint
70 - Reunion
71 - Denial
72 - Dreams
73 - A fire kindled
74 - Touched by a Goddess
75 - Ostara
76 - The fire within
77 - Options
78 - An inescapable fate
79 - Point of no return
80 - Bereft
81 - Journey's end
Characters/Cast List
The Queen of Elysium - sneak peek

8 - Did someone yell for a hero

5.9K 454 202
By MayaR-31

(Zane's PoV)

I thunder into the alleyway and my fists clench at the sight before me. My new ward is bound against the wall with tears streaming down her cheeks and my best friend, though I would never call him that to his face, is kneeling with a sword against his throat.

Flames simmer beneath my skin and I conjure a ball of fire in my palm, lobbing it at the dark elf and knocking him sideways. Not giving him a chance to recover, I throw a succession of fireballs at the fiend and drive him backwards.

"She is mine. I will be back," the dark elf snarls and runs off.

I give chase but the damned elf is too fast and I soon lose sight of him. Rattling off a string of curses, I head back to the alley and discover that Elle is still bound. "Are you alright, little one?"

She nods, blinking back tears, evidently trying to be brave. Regret sours in my stomach. I should have been there for her. If he has hurt her, I will hunt him down and kill him.

I make quick work of the rope binding her, then turn to face Darish to berate him for not freeing her, but the chastisement dies upon my lips. Darish is still kneeling on the floor, clutching an arm to his chest and there is a growing patch of red blooming on the pale linen of his shirt and his face is a ghostly white.

Elle brushes off her own ordeal and rushes over to our stricken friend. "I am so, so sorry Darish. This is all my fault."

When she places a hand upon Darish's arm, the elf winces and yet he insists, "No blame lies with you."

I cannot help wincing myself when she gently peels back his blood-soaked sleeve to reveal a large slash on the elf's forearm. Ooh, that has got to hurt.

I am surprised and impressed when she rips several strips from Darish's shirt and then calmly uses the material to methodically bandage the wound and stem the bleeding. Many girls would freak out or faint.

Once she has finished with Darish's dressing, she stands and I wonder if I spoke to soon for she stares wide-eyed at her bloodstained hands and then starts to wobble on the spot. I leap into action as her legs begin to buckle and catch her in my arms.

Cradling her like a child, I offer her comfort, "Hush now, little one. I have you."

Given that the colour is returning to Darish's face, I ask him for a favour, "I was due to meet a lady tonight, could you send my regrets? I will carry Elle back."

He nods and I gesture with my head to the address card in my shirt pocket.

.....

As I approach the tent, Roth bounds up and gently nuzzles at Elle, crooning in concern. What is amiss?

She was attacked by a dark elf.

Roth gives a low growl. I will rip him to pieces and char the remains if he dares come near her again.

I carry her into the washroom and place her down. With glowing hands, I warm a basin of water, having to take care not to boil it, for my flames rage within. I alternate between feeling useless and angry, as I watch her turn the water red and repeatedly scrub the washcloth against her neck.

Displaying as calm an exterior as possible, I put an arm around Elle's trembling form and guide her into one of the low seating areas. On the way I snag a bottle of firewater and two glasses with my free hand.

Once we are seated, I uncork the bottle with my teeth and fill the glasses, downing and then refilling mine, before pushing the other towards Elle.

With a shaking hand, she brings the glass to her lips and takes a tentative sip, but ends up having a coughing fit.

With a clenched jaw, I try to speak, "Did he... before Darish..?" However, I cannot finish the sentence.

Elle bites her lip and shakes her head. "No. Y-you saved us."

"Always!"

Always, Roth echoes in my mind. He too is taken with our new companion.

Given how close she is to falling to pieces, I make her drink and watch as the alcohol takes a numbing affect. It is not long before she slumps against me. I cover her with a throw and kiss the top of her head. She mumbles something about Roth and then settles to a peaceful sleep.

Once more my flames flicker beneath my skin, yet it is not fury, nor lust that drives them, but something that feels more like family. I have spent close on ten solars adventuring and dodging responsibilities and now I feel the burning urge to protect this little one.

.....

I drink several more glasses before Darish finally turns up. I place a finger on my lips and motion to Elle who is asleep with her head in my lap.

"What took you so long?" I ask in a low voice.

"You could have warned me." Darish flushes, bringing out the green in his eyes.

I do a double take. Did the elf just blush? "What do you mean?"

"The lady was awaiting you ..." he clears his throat "... in a state of undress."

I grin, recalling the stall holder who had agreed to model her wares tonight. "What was she wearing?"

"Red leather, I think, although I did not allow my gaze to linger."

I groan, "What a waste!"

"Yes well, she was rather shocked to behold me and not you, but showed great understanding given the situation. She insisted that I saw a healer."

"How is your arm?"

"I will live."

"Perhaps a scar might help you attract a female," I tease.

Darish responds with a mirthless look, "Zane, there is more to life than bedding women."

My comeback is quick, "How would you know unless you tried?"

He gives me a look and I thrust a drink into his hands. "That was brave of you facing a dark elf for someone you barely know."

Darish takes the drink, but does not take the bait. "She is our ward. Not seeking to defend her would lack honour," he responds matter-of-factly.

"Yes, well I saved your sorry behind."

"Ever the hero. I am greatly indebted." Darish gives me a little bow.

Damn that elf is sarcastic sometimes. I suppose that is the closest I am going to get to a thank you tonight.

I still do not understand it though and voice my puzzlement, "Why on Elysium did he attack her?"

Darish does not answer, but he leaps out of his seat and crouches by Elle, then carefully lifts up her hair.

"What are you doing?" I call him out on the strange behaviour.

Darish responds, with deadly seriousness, "I wish to observe her ears. I detect the slightest point. Too small for an elf. Hmmm!" he half mutters to himself, "It is concerning."

"What is?" Why is he being so darned cryptic?

"When an elven female is, well is receptive, she emits a pheromone. If Elle is..." Darish pulls a face as if tasting something unpleasant. "Her name does not resonate properly."

"Less about her name. If she is what?"

"If she is an ..." his voice lowers "... an elfling, then her scent could give rise to more incidents."

"Can you smell if she is in heat?"

Darish gives me a mildly offended look and says, as if the reasoning is self-evident, "I am a wood elf."

I growl, this night has me losing my patience, but thankfully he continues, "Elves only attract their own kind. Although it does not make sense that she called to a dark elf, for surely her appearance implies the blood of a light elf."

I look down at the sleeping girl, taking in her petite frame, pale porcelain skin and hair the colour of moonlight. I guess she could have elven blood. She is certainly nothing like Dragonite females, who are dark of skin and features and voluptuous of figure.

"Is she still in danger?"

"If what I suspect is true then we must be vigilant. Elves, particularly dark elves, believe in the purity of blood and elflings are rarely tolerated. I do not wish to alarm her, so suggest that we keep this between ourselves, at least for now."

My face hardens and I growl out, "We will leave at first light."

...............
AN - Elle has two protective guardians, three if you count Roth.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126K 6K 27
The day that changed my life was the day I ran from it all and made the hardest decision of my life. But I had too, I never got to chose as I was cho...
105K 1.3K 12
Only the first 10 chapters are open.. NOW ON AMAZON! PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK IT OUT AND SHOW ME SOME LOVE! COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT EACH AND EVE...
21.5K 836 27
TEASER: "No fiancée of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...
51.1K 4.5K 63
Featured @Romance, @Fantasy & @StoriesUndiscovered 〚Book 1 of Between Us Trilogy〛 ❝𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐞𝐱𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐈 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐥...