Strength

By fiftyslays

Nia and the gang are all grown up. You should read Soft before you read this book. More

Introduction
.prologue.
Featured Cast.
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
9.1
10.
11.
11.1
11.2
Y'all
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
16.1
16.2
16.3
17.
18.
18.1
Nominations
18.2
18.3
19
20.
21.
22.1
22.2
22.3
23.
24.
25.
26.
26.2
26.3
27.
28.
30.
30.1
30.2
30.3
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.

29.

16.2K 1.1K 823
By fiftyslays

Excuse any mistakes. Tamara in the mm.

Calabasas, California
Saturday morning
6:30am

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive. Never surrender."

Tupac Shakur

     Nia bolted down the street like the Olympic champion she was. With tears blinding her, she ran as fast as her long legs could possibly run. She was restless, unable to fall asleep the night before.

Within her was a tug of war. She partially blamed herself for not using her talents to get out of the situation. She also chastised herself for not following her gut. Leon had always made her uncomfortable.

     Now, she knew why.

Nia was also worried about Shiloh. Although she was grateful for him defending her, she didn't want him to cut the guy. She hoped Leon didn't say anything, but she wasn't sure how realistic that was.

   The pounding noise of her shoes resonating off the streets that housed large mansions with a clanging echo that matched her heart throbbing inside her chest with the thick grief and fear She felt as she ran.

Music blasted in her ears as the fresh and crisp fall air hit her face.

     She slowed down as she noticed her house making a reappearance. Her chest heaved up and down, perspiration and masked tears fell down her brown cheeks.

Zeke stood outside, looking concerned and Nia quickly wiped her face. She removed her ear buds from her while still trying to catch her breath.

    "You went running early today." Zeke points out. "And longer." He glances at his watch.

Nia simply nods her head. "I'm fine, Zeke."

    "Zeke?" He repeats, a little shocked at her choice of words. "You've never called me that."

She looks up at him, and shakes her head. "I'm sorry. A lot on my mind."

   "No need to internalize it and allow it to change you. Your mom told me what happened."

Nia sighs a little. "I just want to forget about it. Luckily, he didn't get to go through with what he wanted to do. It never happened."

     Zeke shakes his head. "You and I both know that's not realistic, baby girl." Nia fiddles with the ring on her finger, not saying anything. "Your Dad is on his way."

"Oh my God." Nia groans, covering her face with her hands. "Why did you all tell him? He's going through enough already."

    "He's your Dad. He deserves to know and deserves to be here for you. I know you want him here."

Nia looks at him. "I just want to forget about it. I'm going to tell my mom that I don't want to press any charges. I don't want to relive it fifty million times."

   Zeke simply nodded his head, surprisingly to Nia. "I understand. That's normal."

"But?" Nia says.

    "There's no but. I'm sure Naomi will understand as well." Zeke sticks his hands into his pockets. "What do you need from me, though?"

Nia's lips began to tremble. "I just need you to hold me. You're right, I want my Dad here. But right now, I have you. You give the best hugs."

    Zeke wraps his arms around her shoulders and pulls her close, gently rubbing her arm. She sinks into the warmth of his body, appreciative of the simple gesture. Her tears fell silently onto his shirt causing Zeke's heart to shatter into pieces.

"Can I lighten up the situation?" Zeke asks. Nia nods into his neck. "I'm going to kill Shiloh for slightly taking your virginity."

     Nia laughs wholeheartedly against him, wrapping her arms around him tightly. "May as well practice for Jamila."

"Oh, God." Zeke groans. "Please don't remind me that she has to grow up, too."

    "How much did my mom tell you?" Nia slightly pulls away, wiping any evidence of her crying.

Zeke looks at her. "Unfortunately, everything."

    Nia snorts. "I thought you wanted to know everything, Papa."

"Naomi could've kept that a secret and I would've been just fine. That's what my ass get." Zeke smirks causing Nia to giggle. Zeke places a gentle kiss on her forehead. "I love you, Nia Bia. And if I know you like I think I do, because you're a carbon copy of your mom, please don't blame yourself for what happened."

    Nia places her head on his shoulder, and exhales softly. "I'm a runner and I didn't run. I'll always blame myself, Papa."

"Fair. But, still, you had no idea. I'm just glad you're okay."

   Nia pulls away. "Never knew if I told you but you're really the best second Dad a girl could ever have."

Zeke looks at her, wraps his arm her shoulder and leads her into the house. "I don't know, Nia. You're starting to look like me. I think you've been mind all along." He jokes.

     "How?" Nia smirks.

"Call me Zeus." Zeke winks.

    "The Whore God?" Nia lifts up her eyebrows.

Zeke gasps. "Nia Bia, such language. I need $30."

   "Daddy!" Jamila yells.

"Why the hell these kids be up so damn early?!" Zeke whispers.

    Nia shrugs. "Your kids, not mine."

"Daddy!" Jamila yells out again.

       "If you wake up your mom, that's on you. I'm not jumping in to save you." He tells her as she appears in the living room. "What do you want little girl?"

"Chase and Saint are bothering me. I'm about to keep the same energy and we all know that's not good for neither." Jamila looks at him.

   Zeke shakes his head. "Naomi has the strongest genes in the world." He lets go of Nia. "What are they doing to my princess?"

"Yanking my cover and I'm tryna get my beauty sleep." Jamila says dramatically. "And Saint don't usually act like this. I fear that Chase is influencing him a little too much."

    "Saint don't bother you." Nia emphasizes. "The boy is adorable and annoying at the same time."

Zeke looks at Nia. "Saint adores you."

     "And annoys me." Nia says again.

Zeke chuckles before wrapping his arm around Jamila. "Let's go tell these knuckleheads that you're second in line to the throne and if they keep it up, I gotta feed them to the dragon."

    "Aren't you the king of the castle, Daddy?" Jamila asks.

"Yeah, but this is a matriarchal royal society in this castle. The women run the household. This is you, your mom and Nia's world. We're just living in it. " Nia hears Zeke say as they head up the staircase.

    Nia smiles to herself as she goes into the kitchen. As she always do, she makes sure that the dogs have food and water in their bowls. She knows that they'll bother her once they get up if the bowls were not filled.

She looks in the refrigerator to get the ingredients for her protein shake. The sound of her phone ringing startles her. She forgot that she left it on ring and disconnected her ear buds.

    Looking at the screen, a picture of her and Shiloh appear in which she knew that he was calling.

Sliding the answer bar across the screen, she places the device up to her ear. "Hi." She greets him cutely.

     "Hi." He responds in the same tone. There was a brief and comfortable silence. "Are you good? I'm sorry I scared you like that."

Nia begins to make her protein shake, and nods her head a little. "It's okay. I just hope this action doesn't have a consequence."

    "Are you good?"

"I'm—" Nia briefly pauses. "I'm going to be okay."

    Shiloh clears his throat. "You ain't gotta worry 'bout nothing. Even if he look at you, I'll know."

"Shiloh." Nia sighs.

    "Nah you my girl, Nia. I'ma protect you regardless." Shiloh says. "I kno' you don't like the way I do things, but that's just how I am."

Nia adds ice, bananas, almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla protein powder into the blender. "Okay." She says before she starts blending.

    After a few minutes, she stops and transfer it into her protein bottle. "Ion like how you said that." Shiloh speaks up.

"Shiloh, I don't want you feeling like I'm trying to change you. I don't want to nag. Or anything like that. It's obvious that this isn't a thing you're willing to compromise on."

   "I'ma be smarter, I promise." Shiloh says. "I just lost it when I saw yo' clothes. I wanted to kill him."

Nia lets out a faint chuckle and takes a sip of her shake. "Just cannot shake these types of men." She says to herself.

    "Huh?"

"Nothing." Nia shakes her head. "Thank you for being my knight and shiny armor."

    "I kno' you already got the world baby. I can't give you that. But I'ma damn sho protect it." Shiloh says.

"I feel like you just tryna get my virginity." Nia jokes. "You gon leave me after that huh?"

    "Hell nah. If it's anything like I expect it, shid might marry yo ass."

Nia rolls her eyes as she proceeds up the stairs. "Oh, might huh? You gonna do that anyway cause I will kill you."

Saturday night

Ascaria Ingram and Scarlett Valentine

Kamari Valentine

Iman Valentine (i changed his character)

Cameras flashed in the faces of Khalil, Roman, Adrian, Ascaria and Scarlett as they entered Staples Arena. It was big night for the Valentine family and Laker fans in general.

Khari was getting his number retired and jersey hung up in the rafters. Earlier that day, the Lakers put a statue of him next to the other Laker greats.

Khalil, Adrian and Roman all decided to support their grandad in some form or fashion. Roman wore Khari's purple Lakers retro jersey and a pair of gold Lakers Just Don shorts.

Adrian wore Khari's blue Georgetown jersey, light denim ripped jeans and a pair of Khari's shoes. He also wore a set of gold chains around his neck.

Khalil decided to go even further back, getting his grandfather's high school jersey. To match the Edna Karr jersey, he wore the shorts to match and the first pair of shoes Khari ever put out.

"How y'all feel about your grandfather's accomplishments?" A videographer asks as they walk into the arena.

    "It's crazy." Khalil shakes his head while holding Mariyah's hand. "Greatest player to ever touch a basketball. 8 rings. 8 Finals mvp's. Birthed two children who were successful in their basketball careers. Created a legacy and a brand for all of us. I feel—I feel like I gotta keep this thang rollin'." He says into the camera.

"Right, USC need to retire my mama jersey." Roman yells out.

    "Uncle Mari next ya dig." Adrian adds.

"How many rings your mom won at USC?" Tamara asks Roman, linking their hands together.

    Roman looks at her. "Three. She got cheated the last one. Should've been a sweep. She still the illest player to ever play college basketball, though."

"Why she didn't go pro?"

    "She makes more money being a lawyer than she would've made being in the WNBA. Shits trash. They need to fix it." Roman shakes his head.

Tamara nods in understanding. "True."

"Kamari! Kamari! Kamari!" Cameras rushes to where Kamari is entering.

"I'm very, very proud of my Dad. I love him so much." Kamari says into the camera. "My role model and the best player to touch the court. Without him, I don't win 3 rings."

"He almost choked one ring away." Iman jokes, appearing from over his shoulder.

"True." Ascaria agrees, moving in front of the camera. "I love you Daddy. I'm sooooo proud of you and this moment. You're the greatest ever!"

     Scarlett moves all of them out of the way. "I figured you'd want to hear from your favorite child by now."

"Man whatever." Iman kisses his teeth.

    "We look alike so if you're his favorite, I'm his favorite too." Ascaria says.

Scarlett waves them all off before speaking again. "I just want to say that I love you so much and it's about damn time they retire your jersey. You're the reason I ever picked up a basketball. Lakeshow forever."

..

    Sitting courtside, Naomi has her head on Zeke's shoulder laughing at one of his funny comments.

"Zeke, please shut up." Naomi attempts to control her laughter.

    Zeke looks at her and smiles. "I'm just saying sweetheart. It's time for Khari to retire the noodles."

"Ma, you think Kamari will give me an autograph?" Jr. asks Rayne.

    Rayne nods her head. "I'm sure he wouldn't mind. I'll ask after the game."

Rayne looks from AJ and notices that Iman was looking directly at her from across the court. He wasn't even trying to be discreet with it, either. She taps Naomi's shoulder causing Naomi to lean in closer.

    "Iman looking at me like he want to eat me for dinner and dessert." She whispers.

Naomi briefly glances across the court at him before looking back at Rayne. "Let him." She shrugs. "He's back in the country. You know him. He know you. Don't have to worry about adding another body right now."

     "You sound like Remy." Rayne says.

"The old Rayne wouldn't need us to convince her." Naomi smirks. "It's time to relapse. Bring back the Whorayne."

  Rayne playfully hits Naomi as Naomi laughs. "I hateeeee you."

"No seriously." Naomi says as her laughter dies down. "I think you're worried how you'll be viewed. I know you don't want to get back in too fast and that's understandable. Also it's possible to focus on you and your kids while getting dick."

    "Are you drunk?" Rayne lifts up her eyebrows, glancing down at Naomi's cup.

"Maybe." Naomi smirks. "But I'm serious."

    Rayne nods her head. "I hear you. I'm gonna get a little tipsy and see where that leads me."

"Oh, God." Naomi shakes her head.

    The buzzer sounds which meant that it was halftime. It was a star studded crowd for the event. The entire Valentine family were in attendance which showed just how close they were.

"Ma, can I go over there with Augustus?" AJ asks Rayne, who nods her head. Amir Jr. gets up and walks around to where Augustus was sitting.

    They were now setting up on the court while everyone socialized and listened to the music that was playing in the arena.

Meanwhile, Naomi was whispering really dirty things into Zeke's ear and he was trying to maintain his cool. However, Naomi was making it hard.

    "Is this a new cologne?" Naomi asks lowly, grazing her lips on his ear lobe.

Zeke takes a sip of his own drink and nods. "Mhmmm."

     "Mm, it smells so good." She sighs softly. "I cannot wait until we get home."

He looks at her. "Stressed out eh?"

    Naomi nods. "Extremely."

"I can fix that."

    Naomi smiles at him. "I know you can."

The lights dimmed and the crowd erupts as the ceremony was about to begin. A video of Khari began playing on the jumbotron. 

    "I had no friends on the court. If we was cool off the court, you was an enemy on the court. That's just the mentality I played with. The only allies I had was my teammates."

"Khari was a player I never seen before. Fast, strong, and skilled. He could fly, jump, shoot, play defense all at an elite level. After his accident, I thought he was done. We all did. But he came back better."

     "Playing with Khari was different because I was a teammate and a fan. The things he did on a nightly basis had me in awe. He never smiled on the court, he wasn't trying to make friends."

"I thought Khari was mean because he never cracked a smile when he was playing. But you get to know him off the court, the man is hilarious. Family man."

    "I remember in the Finals when he was going against Kyrie and Lebron. Mind you Kyrie is one of his best friends. You couldn't tell from that series. Khari and Kyrie got into it, and Khari called Kyrie soft. If you wasn't on his side, you was on the wrong side in his eyes."

"He got into your head. I think that was his best skill."

    "Khari is definitely the greatest player to ever play this game."

8x champion. 8 final's mvps. 3 scoring titles. 4x MVP.

   "That's so crazy to me." Khalil shakes his head in awe of his grandfather. The man was his idol. He had big shoes to fill.

"That'll be you, one day." Mariyah says as she rubs his arm.

    Khalil looks at her. "I can only hope my career will be like his. Or better."

Gripping his chin, she pulled him to closer and kissed him on his lips. "I believe in you." She looks at him.

    Khalil bites his bottom lip and gives her a lust filled look. "Oh, no sir. That's that 'I wanna give you a baby look.'" Ascaria snaps her fingers, snapping him out of his gaze.

"Oh my bad Auntie." Khalil laughs and looks back at the court.

     Khari was walking as everyone stood up to give him a standing ovation. It's safe to say that Khari never thought he'd see this moment. That alone made him very emotional.

...

"You play with Aug on the AAU team?" Kamari asks Amir Jr as he signs his basketball.

    AJ nods his head excitedly. "Yeah. My cousin Chase do too, but he's sick."

Kamari nods his head. "I'll come watch y'all play. I know it's coming up soon."

    "Thank you, Mari." Rayne says, resting her hand on the top of AJ's head and kissing it gently. She looks at Kamari. "He's a big fan of yours."

"You know it's no issue. I'm honored to be his favorite player."

    Rayne looks down at AJ. "Tell him thank you."

"Thank you." AJ says. "I'm gonna put this on my shelf with my trophies."

    "Oh you got trophies so I really gotta come watch ya play now." Kamari nods his head.

"Rayne Ingram." Iman walks up with a smile on his face. "Just like fine wine, just get better with time."

    Kamari discreetly excuses himself, leaving Rayne. Rayne whispers something into AJ's ear and seconds later, AJ walks away and goes to where Naomi and Zeke were standing.

Rayne looks at Iman, and smiles a little. "Hello Iman."

    "How are you doing?" 

"I'm well, and you?" Rayne asks.

     Iman nods his head. "I'm fine. Getting back used to living in the States. Can't lie, I missed it."

"Oh, you're back home for good huh?" Rayne folds her arms across her chest. "How'd Italy treat you?"

    "I love Italy. I just miss my family, my mom especially. With my parents getting older, I just wanna be closer and spend as much time with them as possible."

Rayne nods in understanding. "That makes sense. Your parents aren't slowing down, though."

   "That's true. I'm thankful for that." Iman grabs her hand, and points to her ring finger. "It's empty."

She removes her hand from inside of his. "Yes, it is."

    "Divorced?"

"You knew that." She smirks.

     "Okay, okay. I may or may not have begged Scarlett to give me a hint." He playfully rolls his eyes. "I'm sorry to hear that, however."

Rayne lifts up her eyebrows. "Are you really?"

    "No." He says seriously.

"Figured."

      "I know I'm probably like the tenth guy that's approached you since your divorce." He jokes.

Rayne shrugs her shoulder lightly. "I cannot confirm nor deny."

    Iman laughs a little. "Obviously they weren't successful."

Tilting her head to side slightly, she furrows her eyebrows curiously. "How do you know?"

    Iman's eyes roam hungrily before he looks back into hers. "I just do." He replies softly. "We have history and chemistry."

"What do you want, Iman?"

      Iman taps his chin as if he were in deep thought. "Well, I'll show you when I pick you up tomorrow for brunch. I'll say around 11am. Be ready for a full day." He smiles. "And night."

"She good!" Adonis wraps his arm around Rayne's neck and looks at Iman. "Be strong, sis."

    Rayne laughs slightly. "Wassup Don?"

"Nigga you know I don't like yo casanova ass." Adonis says. "You broke my sister's heart."

     "Don." Rayne looks at him. "I'm a big girl now. I got this. Thank you, though."

Don turns her away from Iman. "Snatch his soul and dip on his ass." He whispers.

    "Bye." Rayne points to where Ascaria was, and Don holds his hands up in defeat. Rayne laughs to herself before turning back to Iman. "11am. Don't be late."

"Have I ever?"

     Rayne moves past him without answering causing him to smile knowingly. "See you at 11, Ray."

Done with my internship. Mood:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9K 292 10
a series of rarely updated imagines where i shall tap into your inner desires. so relax and welcome to crush on you.
743K 34.7K 106
Read the story to find out. I promise it'll be worth it🌹❀️!! [ Finishedβœ… ]
17K 314 24
Just read and find out pookies and bookies First story ... don't judge😭 Multiple updates a day ! Vote plz
4.8K 63 32
"I'm not saying girls are perfect. Because we all know that ain't true. But why be unfaithful to her? When she was true to you." - Tupac ShakurΒ 1 hur...