The Shadows

Por TaryynRose

16+ Mature Content - Contains mature themes, sexual content and strong language. You're found in an unknown... Más

01 | With New Eyes
02 | Memories
03 | Mystery Man
04 | The Unknown
05 | Stay or Get Out
06 | Flight Risk
07 | Alone
08| Darkness
09| Family
11| Mute
12| Lost Within
13| Falter
14| Homeless
15| Two-Faced
16| The Honest Truth
17| Connection
18| Mikayla
19| Essence
20| Past to Present
21| Departure
22| Dangerous Territory
23| Zone Two
24| Continue On
25| The Last Zone
26| Home Sweet Home
27| Forbidden
28| New Arrivals
29| Unwelcome
30| Coming Together
31| Taken
32| Return
33| Free Mind
34| New Beginnings
35| This day
36| The Capital
37| Arrival
38| New Surroundings
39| Taking over
40| Progress
41| The last breath
42| The Mending Process
43| Aryah
44| Life & Death
45| Completion
46| Time to Breath
47| Declaration
48| Dracone
49| Harper

10| The Ominous Truth

1.6K 59 13
Por TaryynRose

He holds onto my upper arm for a moment, giving it a small squeeze and dropping his arms to his sides, all the while looking deep into my curious eyes.

"As you already know..." He begins. "My Brother Cain and I are of royal blood. Our father, King Rylan. He was such a cold man. Everything he did was in the best interest of himself. My mother, Queen Kiara, she was so beautiful, kind and compassionate. She adored my father. Unfortunately he never gave her the time of day. The only time he showed the least amount of affection was when they conceived my brothers and I, and that was only to carry on his name. She was, after all, my fathers second wife. His first wife passed away in a tragic fall before she was able to give him an heir. It became an obsession for my mother, to live up to his first wife."

My brain goes into overdrive and I begin picturing everything he's saying.

  ----------------------------------------------——

<-Flashback->

My father took in petitions from locals once a week and one day, thats exactly what he was doing. He had been sitting on his throne, the locals would enter, one by one and ask him there question.

An older man entered the room. Dark brown hair and dark brown tattered clothing.

"Your grace. It is a pleasure to be in your presence." He says this as he bows towards the king. Yet the king says nothing, looking down at him in disgust. He waves his hand in the air, signalling him to hurry up. "Get on with it." He spits out.

"My daughter, she is very sick my lord. She is in need of lord leaf for her medication. Could we please bring a larger quantity into the market stalls, as it sells out so quickly."

The king scoffs at him. "If your daughter needs it so badly, maybe you should be at the stall at dawn when it opens, or travel to pick it up yourself." He rolls his eyes and waves him off. The mans eyes drop to the ground in sadness and nodding lightly. "Get out."

.Thank you for your suggestions, your grace." He says this as he bows once more. Turning around and exiting the throne room.

"Alright. That is enough today. Tell the rest to get out. A soldier nods at him seriously and turns around to walk towards the door. A hooded man bursts through the double doors and charges towards the king, giving the solider one glare. The soldier freezes, not moving. His presence grim, a heavy energy following him.

"What do you think you're doing!?" The king puts his arms up as a defense mechanism. "No more petitions today, get out."

The hooded man stands in front of the king, ten feet away, giving him a small bow. Darkness covers his face. "You will want to hear what I have to say my lord."

The king thinks for a moment, crossing his arms. "You should hurry up then, I should call the guards for this intrusion." He scoffs. "Since my guard here is useless."

The hooded man tells him stories of immortality and that he had this very ability to do so. Offering the king this gift. He listened to what this stranger had to say and became intrigued. Of course this caught my fathers attention, to be immortal. The greatest gift in his eyes. Although my father was bitter to his inner core, he was a smart man. He knew this man wanted something in return.

"What would you want in return for this gift." The king raises his eyebrow.

"Oh, my king." He tilts his head up, revealing his devious smirk. "For this gift, I will ask for a great cost. I would need a soul, a specific soul. The soul of the mother of your children."

The king lets out a hearty laugh, echoing throughout the room. "How do I know you are honest." He tilts his head, hiding his face one again. "You do not my king, you will have to trust me." My father thought for some time. Not sure if he should believe this strange presence.

"You are not trusting my king. I will give you one week to decide. I will be back." He quickly fades away in the position he stood.

The kings eyes widen. "He's gone?"

----------------------------------------------———

Over the next week. The idea of immortality became an infatuation, an obsession. He went into this mania, this crazed state. He would pace circles in the floor, awaiting for the strange hooded man would return.

Finally, the day came.

The dark presence returned. My father thought he was clever, he ordered his guards to throw him into the dungeon. To hold him until he proved his gift was true. His soldiers snatched him as he entered the room.

This of course angered the man. My mother walked into the room at the same moment. "What's going on!?" She searches around the room, assessing the scene. The dark figures eyes shift to her, grinning once again presenting his discoloured smile.

He stands up straight, shifting the energy in the room. Suddenly everything felt as if it was happening in slow motion. He slides through the grasp of the guards and slowly makes his way to the queen.

Clouding his eyes, exhuming her mind. Pulling her in. Digging deep into subconscious. Stilling her body and everyone around them. As if stopping time. He wanted them to watch; wanted them to see what was to become of them.

A black mist begins leaking from her eyes. A smoke, spilling from her mouth, he was inhaling her soul. Sucked from it's core. She fell lifeless to the floor. He slowly turns his chin to my father, revealing the same smile. The kings eyes wide, mouth dropped. He was scared and this is what the hooded man wanted. He has gained power over th king himself. They make eye contact and stare for a moment before the dark figures eyes shift to the right of the kings shoulder. My eldest brother Kai had entered the throne room.

"Mom?" Is all he can get out. Confused. The king whips his head around to Kai and back to the dark figure, who was now looking back at him.

"No..." The king whispers, almost out of breath. He whips his head around to Kai "KAI GET OUT OF HERE!" he screams in desperation. My brother confused, froze. "W-what's going on!?"

"Oh, my son." The dark figure begins. "This was your father's choice." The king speaks over him. "Kai, please-" but the dark figure interupts him. "You fool." His voice deep and loud, ringing about the room. "How dare you defy me. I offered you eternal life

The man points towards Kai. The same black smoke seeping out of the pours from his hands, making its way to Kai. Soon overtaking him. Kai's eyes roll to the back of his head as the black smoke soaks into him. He closes his eyes as if he is in pain, tightening them; his mouth slightly open, his face scrunched, showing his teeth clenching together. "KAI!" The king yells again in desperation, unable to move. "I give this gift to your sons instead, who will rule in my name." The dark figures eyes swirl again, this time, controlling Kai. Kai takes a few quick steps towards the king, who is still unable to move; placing his hand in the center of the kings chest.

He then places his hand on my fathers chest. "Kai..." The king whispers in defeat. "Think about this you embecile! I am the king, your ruler, your father!" He screams in his face. Kai unphased, does not flinch. His eyes were black as the night sky, no longer himself. The same black smoke spreads from his hand, outwards towards the rest of the kings body, wrapping around him, consuming him. The king hunches over in pain, pleading to his son. "Please..." The dark figure belches out a laugh. "A bit more..." He guides Kai. Meeting the same fate as my mother, he drops heavily to the ground. "Good job my boy. Very good. Shall we go visit your brothers?" They make there way out of the throne room, leaving the guards frozen and in awe. Making there way through the corridor until they reach Cain's bedroom door. He turns the door knob slowly and opens it to see Cain passed out on his bed. He approaches him silently in the darkness. Staring down at his young brother peacefully sleeping. The room fills with dark energy. The dark figure hovers over Cain. Completing the same ritual as he did with Kai.

I probably don't need to tell you that they did the same to me. The same "gift." as he sees it.

----------------------------------------------———

The years went by. My brothers and I weren't the same. We consumed souls daily, starving for them, devouring them. I admit, I was a monster. We just didn't have control. It was if you hadn't eaten in weeks, all the time. We needed them.

This wasn't Cain or I. We sure as hell didn't ask for this "gift." Yet we were forecully cursed with it. We decided we wanted to do the only good we could think of.

Cain and I would sneak out and help the elderly, the ill, the injured. In their passing, we would create a calm and comfortable place for them to cross over, releasing them from their pain. We wanted to keep balance between life and death.

My brother Kai became greedy for power. He starved for it as we once did. This made Cain very protective of me. He handled the loss of our parents and the current events much better than I. I became hardened, emotionless. I rebelled. I went on what I like to call "nightly fuck shit up sprees" I loved to go around and mess with people on the streets. Needless to say I got into a lot of fights. I loved it.

During the day we were always on the sidelines. Watching as people would come in, knowing they would never leave. We chose not to say anything at the time. I regret that now. But who was I to judge. I did it myself.

Kai caught on to our little visits to the hospital, our energy was not as dark as his. He became suspicious, thought we might create an assemblage against him. He was right, we were planning on leaving. Cain didn't want me to live most of my teenage-hood like that I guess. Afraid I would turn into Kai.

Kai began growing his army, turning people he deemed worthy, into what he now called "shadows." Children of death. He made them high ranked generals.

Luckily we learned that they don't possess the same power as my brothers and I. It gave them more strength, more agility. They are not able to consume souls. Death's children are rumors among the common folk. Stories they tell around campfires to scare young children. Little do they know. The shadow's here, Madilyn, Morgan and Jace, have abandoned my brother and joined us. As for the dark figure, who we now know as death; he had soon returned back to the depths and left my brother in his glory. He had finished what he came to do

----------------------------------------------———

<-Present->

"Damien..." I reach over and grab his forearm, closing the distance between us to a few inches. He stands there almost limp, burning a hole into the floor with his gaze. "I had no idea. I'm so, so sorry." I whisper

Silence

He looks up to my face to see complete concern. He reaches up, tucking a strand of stray hair behind my ear. I flinch. I'm not really sure why? It was just a natural reaction. He freezes, searching my face for confirmation of what he's thinking. He continues tucking my hair behind my ear. "Please. Please don't be afraid of me." His face softens and twists at the same time. I can see the thoughts overloading his mind. He's wondering if it was too soon, if he should have even told me. His hand lingers on the side of my face for a moment. I reach up and hold onto his wrist, leaning into his palm. "I'm not afraid of you." A small angled smirk grows on his face and the tensity in his face reduces. He's analyzing me, not caring that I'm staring at him right at him, fully aware. "What?" I manage to whisper out. He shakes his head lightly. Holding his gaze for another moment. "Nothing." He drops his hand. I can still feel the warmth remaining.

He takes a deep breath. "H-have you ever turned anyone into a shadow?" I say hesitantly.

He glances up to me and I meet his eyes of defeat. He stares at me for a moment, almost afraid I'll judge him. He's not proud of this past. "I had turned Morgan and Madilyn and Cain has turned a few others. I wanted my family to be able to protect themselves." He moves his gaze back to the ground. I nod lightly in understanding.

"Have you ever thought of... turning me?" I shrug. He quickly looks up and takes a step back from me. "God no Aryah." He scrunches his face as if it will never be an option, not has it ever crossed his mind.

"Why? wouldn't it help me protect myself?" I tilt my head. He smirks. "That's what I'm around for." He leans forward, placing my chin in between his index finger and thumb, gliding his thumb across my chin. I roll my eyes and smile. "Are you always this full of yourself?"

He releases my chin and takes a step back  giving me a small crooked smile. I shut my mouth, frowning. Not a good time for a joke dumb ass.

He takes a deepbreath. "If you don't mind, I'd like to end it there today. I'll tell you where you come in, another time.

I nod, reassuringly. "Of course, we can finish this later."

He turns around and exits the room. I have an instant wave of guilt that overtakes me. I have been so wrapped up in myself.

----------------------------------------------———

I decided after that conversation. I needed to think. I was confused, anxious, almost fearful of them now, almost. More fearful of their kind, specifically, Kai. They have the ability to do horrible things, yet they choose not to

I go into the back and walk to the edge of the porch, leaning over and looking up to the full moon. I needed air. I scan the back as the moon light is so bright is illuminates the entire field, leading up to the forest entrance. My eyes stop when I see someone laying in the center on the grass with there hands behind there head. I push myself off of the banister and step down the 3 steps leading to the backyard. As I get closer I realize that it's Cain, laying staring at the stars.

I don't need to be in his line of sight for him to know it's me.

"So, you know then." He says, staring into the sky. I walk beside him nodding my head. I join him on the grass and stare up at the stars, interwining my fingers and placing them on my stomach. "I come here to think." As if he felt he needed to give me an explanation as to why he was out here. "I can see why." I respond

"I'm sorry we dragged you into this." He says remorsefully. I turn my head to him. I pause for a moment and watch the side of his face. He waits another moment before turning his head towards me, matching my gaze. "You both saved my life." I say queitly. He gives me a small smirk, no teeth.

We both look back up into the stars and sit in comfortable silence for some time. "Damien told me you have changed some of your soldiers into shadows." I say, still staring into the sky.

He breaths in deep and sighs out. "That is correct."

"Would you every think of changing me?"

He whips his head to me, staring blankly. I turn my head to him as well. "I see he didn't tell you everything." I furrow my brows in confusion, not sure what he means. "It was difficult for him to speak of I'm your past." Cain nods lightly. "It's not a subject we speak of often." He takes another sigh. "I will let Damien finish it then."  He pauses for a moment before sitting up, turning towards me. "I want you to know, there is a reason I asked Damien to watch you." He says almost monotone. "Does that have something to do with not wanting to change me into a shadow?" I say confused.

"Aryah that is not possible. To be a shadow is not a gift. We only do it if necessary." He begins to stand, brushing off his clothes.

"Wouldn't it be easier if I could take care of myself?" Cain reaches down grabbing my hand and helping me to stand. "This is how it is destined to be." He says, almost defeated. He never let go of my hand. I didn't realize how close I was to him until we both pause in silence, the moonlight bouncing off of the side of his face, lighting up his perfectly green eyes. "I..." He sighs. "I wish it could have been me." His eyes filled with such sadness, how could anyone hurt someone with such eyes I think. I come back to reality and realize what he just said. "What?" I ask, furrowing my brows. "P-please, excuse me." his voice weak. He turns towards the house and doesn't look back, until he disappears through the door, leaving me standing in the center of the back yard under the moonlight.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

70.9K 3.8K 17
Eve's been through a lot, but prophecy isn't through with her yet. Not yet ready for what it asks of her, it drives a wedge between her and the love...
135 1 16
I never realised that everything i was feeling would somehow come to life. This is a story based on real life events and some fiction. Its up to you...
11.3K 502 21
Do you believe there are such things as the Devil and the Angel? That the Angel would protect you if you are good while the Devil would do whatever i...
86 0 16
(Mature content) This is a werewolf story