Threshold of a new life(compl...

By joebrown17

When Ruby James had failed her promotional examination in Benson college, she was advised to repeat the class... More

Author's note
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty-one
Chapter twenty-two
Chapter twenty-three
Chapter twenty-four
Chapter twenty-five
Chapter twenty-six
Author's note
Chapter twenty-seven
Chapter twenty-eight
Chapter twenty-nine
Chapter thirty
Chapter thirty-one
Chapter thirty-three
Chapter thirty-four
Chapter thirty-five
Chapter thirty-six
Chapter thirty-seven
Chapter thirty-eight
Chapter thirty-nine
Chapter forty
Chapter forty-one
Chapter forty-two
Chapter forty-three
Chapter forty-four
Chapter forty-five
Chapter forty-six
Chapter forty-seven
Chapter forty-nine
Chapter fifty
Chapter fifty-one
Chapter fifty-two
Epilogue
Author's note
Review

Chapter thirty-two

1.6K 344 126
By joebrown17

Before I proceed, I just wanna say a big thank you to you guys for the over 3k reads and also, for the over 1k votes. Means a lot to me. I don't even know who to dedicate this chapter to. So please kindly read the author's note below. Thanks.

# # #

It was closing time already and Benjamin hadn't returned yet. He left or better still, stormed out of the class after I told him to leave my seat, and ever since he hadn't returned. I wonder why.

I packed my books into my bag pack worriedly. Yeah, I was disturbed that something bad might have happened to him or that, he had done something bad to himself. Those negative thoughts made me uneasy.

As I finished packing my books, Chuka walked up to me.

"Hey Ruby, have you seen Benjamin since today?" That was what he asked.

I placed my bag pack at my back and walked out on him, practically snubbing him. I walked to the front door with a stern face.

"Hey!" He jogged up me. "You just ignored me." I still kept mute. No response.

After all that he had done, he still had the gut, the effrontery, the nerves to walk up to me, not only that, also to talk to me? He must have lost his senses.

He placed his hand on my shoulder, hence, stopping me from walking any further. I stopped but didn't look at him. I was looking straight ahead still with the stern look worn on my face.

"Are you angry with me?" Oh shit, this guy was so pathetic. Imagine, he still had to ask me that stupid question.

I snapped my head at him and looked at him venomously. Just the mere sight of him was already disgusting to me.

I wanted to scream, shout and let it all out, but I kept my cool. "Really? You're asking me that? Are you this pathetic?!" He frowned a bit at my last statement.

"Pathetic? Ruby I only asked a simple question which needed a simple answer."

"And I already gave you an answer. Wait, isn't it so obvious that we ain't friends?" I was fueling with rage, but I didn't want to burst out in public. I didn't want to look like a mad person in the eyes of everyone.

"You're angry with me right?" He folded his arms around his chest and cocked an eyebrow.

I gave him a disgusted look. "Are you this stupid?"

"Ruby!" He almost screamed. "Stop insulting me." He said calmly with a lot of breath in it. "Just stop." He rubbed his already sweaty face with his palm.  

I shook my head. "Then. Get. Out. Of. My. Sight!" I bawled. "You ain't worth my time." I said with gritted teeth before making my way out of his sight.

I hadn't even taken five steps away from him than he gripped my wrist. I snapped my head at him and my eyes caught sight of Faith, glaring at us.

I forced my hand out of his grip, but to no avail.

"Really Chuka, really?" He released my wrist immediately at the sound of Faith's voice.

As soon as he released it, I ran away. I didn't even want to hear their argument. They already disgust me, so why wait to hear them argue.

—————–

Exhaustion wouldn't even be the word to describe how I felt when I got home. I was beyond exhausted.

Rachel was in the living room  eating a biscuit that I couldn't clearly see the name, though it looked familiar, and watching TV.

"Hey Rachel. What're you eating?" I walked to the living room, tiredly.

"Biscuit." She said in a 'duh' way.

"The name dummy." I plopped on the sofa next to hers.

She kept mute, munching the biscuit with her eyes glued to the TV screen. I narrowed my eyes and asked. "What's the name of the biscuit?"

"Are you talking to me?" She put on an ignorant look on her face like I hadn't been talking to her since.

"No oh. I'm talking to the walls."

"I thought you were talking to a dummy." She placed her hands in quote. I chuckled a bit at her statement.

"Oya talk."

"Speedy biscuit."

"You don't say!" Excitement laced in my tone. That was one of my favorite biscuit when it was in vogue. Anything that had to do with chocolates, were my favorite.

"I do say!" She mimicked me.

"How did you get it?" I asked brightly.

She looked at me like I had just spilled out a very dumb question.

"You know that babalawo that we do see on TV's," She started to say. I knew the point she was driving at, but I decided to keep mute. "I went there to ask for the biscuit because I had missed it a lot. So they gave me. That's how I got it. Lest I forget, I sacrificed Benjamin for it." She concluded and faced the TV screen like had not just blurted out those words. I knew she was suppressing her laughter just so as to make me look dumb.

"Na you sabi. Anyways, how much is it now?"

"Can you imagine, it's ten naira." She was back to her gisting mode.

"I knew they would definitely increase it." I stated matter-of-factly.

"And the biscuit is not even big. Anyways, how far you and Benji?" Her question turned my slightly bright mood to a dark one.

"Rachel, can we not talk about him?" I sighed. I was already missing Benjamin. Despite the fact I had seen him today, it felt as though I hadn't seen him in centuries.

"Okay. Whenever you're ready to talk, let me know." I nodded my head in agreement.

I stood up from the sofa and made my way to my room. Rachel's question just woke the energetic part in me and killed the tiredness that I was feeling before.

I tossed my bag on the bed and brought out my phone. Instantly, I turned on my data connection and clicked on the Facebook app. Immediately my Facebook opened, the first thing I saw was a post from Benjamin. He posted a picture of a girl, writing above it, Love of my life. It was definitely not his sister 'cause I knew how his sister looked. It was a different girl entirely and she was very beautiful.

My whole body started to shiver at the sight of the picture. This time around, it wasn't a pang of jealousy, it was a throe of jealousy. My entire system was aching from the jealousy that engulfed me.

I clicked on the comment box and I saw that she commented to the post saying, I love you too boo. Ouch! He had also replied to her comment. Okay, this was enough. It wasn't just jealousy anymore, it was now jealousy mixed with anger and sadness, which the outcome result was TORTURE!

I clicked on my messages and saw that he was online, but he hadn't messaged me. My fingers started to itch from its struggle not to type a message to Benjamin. I wanted to give him the piss of my mind, but I struggled to hold back. Besides, I did not own his life. He was free to do whatsoever pleased him. Also, I was the one who broke up with him.

I went back and started checking my notification, before I heard my phone beep with a message. Someone sent a message.

I clicked on my message board and saw that it was Joy? Joy sent a message. I clicked on it and read it.

Joy: What's happening between you and your boo? 😂

Okay, I guess it was her that I was going to pour out all my anger to. She asked for it and I was gonna give it to her, hard.

Me: Hey bitch! Didn't they teach you to greet before poking your nose into peeps business? I guess the answer's no! Also, I bet they didn't teach you to mind ya business.

I sent the message with all the verve that was in me. I wanted to send more, but...

Joy: Aw...your dream boy gave up on you. You know, no one can last with you. I was once your friend, but what happened? We are not friends anymore. Now, Benjamin has broken up with you. Too bad! 😂

As I read the message, sadness engulfed me. She was right in a way though. Now I felt lonely. No friends. Nothing. Just me, myself and my family. Sad!

Me: At least, your dream boy was never yours and will never be yours!

I turned off my data connection immediately, threw myself on the bed and began to sob again.

*Following day*

"Hey Ruby." Amaka waved at me, with her British accent evident, as she walked up to me.

I was the first person to arrive at the lesson, making Amaka the second. I woke up quite early today, so I had no choice. And there was no light in my house.

I even met the cleaner sweeping the class, so I had to wait for her outside because of the dust that percolated in the air.

"Hey." I replied dryly.

"Wow. You are early today. Hope no problem." She sat beside me.

"Not at all." I forced out a smile.

"You look pale. What's the problem?" She looked concerned.

I thought of what to say. I didn't want to tell her it was because of Benjamin I looked this way or because I cried yesterday, again! So I decided to deviate. "Do you always come this early?" But for real, did she?

She smiled broadly. "Yep. I'm even surprised you beat me to time today. I'm always the first person to arrive here."

"Why?" Was a quick question I spilled out, which gained me a somewhat perplexed look from her.

"Cause it's something I'm used to. I wake up early and besides, I just love...coming to a place early." She said with so much ecstasy. She sounded so happy. Was it because she was talking to me again after so many weeks of us not speaking to each other?

"Interesting." I was shot of words. I wasn't a boring person, no, I was just not expecting to see anyone now. Besides, I wasn't so conversant with Amaka. The last time we spoke was in Benjamin's party.

"Am I boring you?"

"No. Not at all. I just...didn't expect to see anyone now."

"Oh, I get. You wanted to have your solitude."

"Yeah. Something like that." I shrugged.

"Okay then. Bet I'd talk to you later." She stood up from my chair and went to sit somewhere else.

Minutes after, students started strolling in making the class noisier as time went on. Chuka and Faith had also arrived but there was no sight of Benjamin. Where could he be? I wonder what happened to him.

I was uneasy. I was so curious to know if anything bad had happened to him. It was then Chuka passed the front of my seat and I immediately stopped him.

"Sorry to disturb, but please where's Benji?" Fright was evident in my voice.

He narrowed his eyes at me before answering, "He isn't attending this lesson again."

* * * *

So sorry guys. I kept you guys waiting for that long. It's light issue. I only charge my phone in the evening when we on gen, so I write bit by bit. Hope my excuse count.

That aside, how was the chapter? Hoped you liked it. It was kinda rushed though.

I didn't even know who to dedicate this chapter to. Yeah, I wanna start dedicating each chapters to my lovely readers.

So let's play a game. The first person to comment on this chapter would be the person I would dedicate the next chapter to and it goes thus for the rest chapters.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 31.4K 34
"Oh, do you really like me?" I asked him once again. He did something I didn't imagine him to do again. He kissed me once again, but it was only for...
16.6K 2.2K 43
Ruby just started at her new school and trips into a complicated life, involving her best friend's boyfriend, Matthew. And God, did she try to keep a...
23.3K 489 20
"Loosen up" he whispers in my ear which makes me even more tense "well you need to more then me" I roll my eyes "really? Cuz I'm loose and chill but...
266K 8.1K 34
"I'm so sorry," I say looking down at the mess. "Why are you apologizing you're the one with coffee all over your shirt." The mans voice made me fr...