Patricians: Sinful Seven (1 o...

By RyanMatthewBrowning

Nothing is more desirable than power, but nothing is more offensive. Henry Williams founded Muse Industries t... More

Chapter 1: Truth and Tragedy
Chapter 2: Aftershock
Chapter 3: Aggressive Negotiations
Chapter 4: Family Connections
Chapter 5: Breach of Contract
Chapter 6: Profiling
Chapter 7: Paradise Lost
Chapter 8: Homecoming
Chapter 9: Dazed and Confused
Chapter 10: A Father's Resolve
Chapter 12: Strategic Concept
Chapter 13: Family Friends
Chapter 14: Gifts from the Heart
Chapter 15: Schemes
Chapter 16: Intimidation Tactics
Chapter 17: The Witching Hour
Chapter 18: Preparations
Chapter 19: Red Carpet
Chapter 20: Courtiers
Chapter 21: Rapacious Lions
Chapter 22: The Masquerade
Chapter 23: Royal Audience
Chapter 24: Star-Crossed
Chapter 25: Iron Hand
Chapter 26: Ripples
Chapter 27: Security Gaps
Chapter 28: Missing
Chapter 29: Stolen Moments
Chapter 30: Minutes to Madness
Chapter 31: Lethal Force
Chapter 32: Fallen from Grace
Chapter 33: Damage Report

Chapter 11: Post-Traumatic Stress

13 15 0
By RyanMatthewBrowning

Sun reflected off the sleek shuttle ascending into the Sky. Henry watched the clamouring crowd fade into the distance. Feeling the loving embrace Julia rested her head on her father's shoulder. Maj. Lee and Capt. Anderson sat with their troops watching over the Williams family. Events of the day filled the cabin of the shuttle with a sombre ambiance that everyone felt sink in. Sudden weightless feeling of gravitational inertia from the shuttle foreshadowed the future.

Holding the most important things close Henry felt relief wash over him. Holding one arm Victoria rested to in her seat with eyes closed. Looking down Henry smiled daughter cuddled up to him. Everyone who knew the William's described the family as affection, loving, and private. Henry was a proud family man from a family that had ever reason for their pride. When bad times struck the family pulled together and endured.

Soft leather cushions drained tension from Henry sinking deeper into his seat. Memories of the events of the day replayed over and over. Examining the memories Henry tried to gleam any new piece of information. Today's events would define Julia in unpredictable ways for the rest of her life. Henry tried to focus his thoughts away from the worry pulling at his mind. The future is always uncertain like a raging river of rapids. How the event would shape Julia would only be seen in time.

Henry knew that the real problem with people is you can never know what is lurking behind their eyes. The best scientific theories measured observable behaviours to form patterns of thought and action, but freewill meant at any moment that pattern could change. Experience taught Henry that life is a struggle between organized reason and chaotic violence. People lived in ignorant bliss at the dangers all around them expecting police, firefighters, and doctors to solve every problem.

Henry watched most people struggling to survive putting forward minimal effort. Success demands effort. Life defines the individual by pushing people past their breaking point to see how much they can endure. Looking down Henry thought about how much his daughter surprised him today. Julia never surrendered choosing to fight back unarmed and without training. Nerves surged with a terrible mix of pride, terror, and helplessness when Henry watched his daughter fighting back.

The ordeal at the mall would be talked about for weeks in the news. Realization swept through Henry knowing how much this event would infect Julia's school life. Every student and teacher would be talking about the event. Henry knew the real struggle would be answering the questions still to come. Political and corporate enemies would seek to use the story of the tragedy to their advantage.

Half-truths, rumours, and lies would descend with hurricane force swirling around Julia at the center. Henry knew there was nothing he could do to shelter his daughter from public opinion. Every parent wants to protect children from the horrors of the world. No feeling is worse than powerlessness. Utter futility to prevent a tragedy weighs on everyone with equal strength. Wealth and power didn't protect children, but create even more danger.

Silence lingered in the cabin of the shuttle during the trip back to the William's estate. Snowflakes danced just beyond the window of the shuttle. New York City drifted away and skyscrapers vanished into the sky. The William's estate rested on the Long Island sound between New York State and Connecticut. The family home boasting fifty acres of beach front property, two offshore islands, and an almost fourteen thousands square foot old French renaissance Mansion.

Sweeping over the copper beech trees the shuttle approached the landing zone. Thrust from the engines of the shuttle tossed the titanic trees back and forth like tooth picks. Descending into the clearing the shuttle hovered to a stop over the landing pad. Lights flashed from the landing pad reflecting off the shuttle in steady strobes. Hues of amber and orange broke through the dark grey clouds gathering in the early dusk skies.

Disembarking first Maj. Lee led the security team off the shuttle in single file. Following the security team Henry helped his wife and daughter off the shuttle. Muse Security forces escorted the William's family down the winding path towards their home. No sanctuary existed for the rich and powerful. The idyllic home rested in the gated community that resembled a military base rather than a luxurious home. Creating a perimeter around the family Muse security remained Vigilant.

Home sweet home was an idea lost on a man of such power and influence as Henry Williams. Restoring the ancient French renaissance mansion turned the home into a palace fit for a king. Underneath the house rested an underground complex with facilities to house a legion of troops. Hidden from plain sight were all kinds of measures to ensure the protection of the Williams family. Henry took no chances with the safety of his family.

Marching forward at a brisk pace Cpt. Anderson opened the door for the approaching family. Max noticed the look of worry concealed in the families faces. Both parents wore a sombre look on their faces. Julia's face haunted max the most. Exhaustion lined the features of the young woman's face. People described Julia as a radiant ball of energy and passion, but Max seen a broken shell of the girl he remembered.

"Welcome home." Max smiled at the family walking into their home. Julia broke away from her parents upon entered the home. Henry and Victoria watched their daughter in a moment of silent empathy. No one knew how to help Julia deal with what had happened. Henry and Victoria knew the best way to help their daughter was to offer unconditional love and support.

"I am going to go lie down" Julia turned and offered a forced smile.

"Ok honey, but remember the Cross family is coming tomorrow for Christmas Eve dinner." Victoria intended to keep her daughter focused on what needed to be done. Distraction would prevent any slip into deep apathy or guilt. Julia dreaded the thought knowing it had to be done. Reputation is everything in life. The words almost echoed in Julia's mind.

"I'll be fine I just need to get some sleep and wrap dad's present." Julia walked up the stairs attending to how her parents would be studying her behavior. Walking speed, body language, and facial expression could all reveal the truth hidden beneath the surface of flesh. Focusing on walking steady and poised Julia headed towards her room trying to push thoughts away. Raging emotions tore under the skin threatened to break through the mental dam of willpower.

Julia never lied to her parents, but in this situation there was nothing anyone could do. Walking down the hallway to the bedroom each step caused another crack in the emotional dam. Nerves trembling from memories flooding Julia's mind filling her with anxiety. Gunfire and explosions rang out seeming real in the mind. Flashes of people lying on the floor snapped in Julia's vision.

Each step required more concentration sapping mental strength. Reaching out Julia pressed the button to open her bedroom door with hesitation. Sliding open the door revealed a pit of darkness. Staring into the pit of darkness Julia felt her emotions surging with uncertainty. Automated sensors detected movement causing lights flash to life. Memories of disorientation flooded Julia's mind in response to the sudden flash of lights.

Familiar surroundings distorted in a mist of confusion seizing the woman for a moment. Struggling to contain the confusion Julia lingered at the entrance to her room. Memories of blood dripping to the floor echoed through the senses with the force of reality. Julia bolted into the room closing the door behind her. Rapid deep breathes echoed in the empty room. Leaning back against the door Julia slid to the floor gasping for breath.

Blood retreated away from the skin leaving it pale. Julia's incredible facade came crashing down with the force of a tumbling skyscraper. Vision blurred blending memory into reality. Malicious laughter rang in Julia's ears. Tears dripped to the floor accompanied by soft sobs. Gunshots rang out tearing through the black mask in Julia's looping memories.

Retreating to the safety of the bedroom offered Julia solace away from prying eyes. Nerves flared from the emotions pulsing through the woman's body. Julia looked at her own hand noticing it shook to no particular cadence. Each finger possessed by its own erratic unknown purpose. Taking control Julia slowed her breathing pushing herself to her feet.

"Alfred do I have any Christmas wrapping paper left over from last year?" Focusing on wrapping the present would keep Julia's mind preoccupied.

Alfred's digital voice responded "yes Madame it is in the closet located to your left." Julia looked at the book in her hand, took a deep breath, and walked over to the closet opening the door with a push of a button. Light flooded the small dark space revealing a roll of wrapping paper in the corner. Pushing clothes aside Julia grabbed the roll and headed towards her bed. Unrolling the wrapping paper caused a crinkling noise sounding like boots on broken glass. Julia trembled from memories flashing in her mind.

Shaking caused the crinkling noise to increase only heightening the intensity of the flashback. Julia tried to maintain focus on the task of wrapping the present. Trembling nerves made wrapping difficult. Julia tore the wrapping paper several times from muscle spasms. Forty five minute later the present looked perfect with a big bow on top. Feeling accomplishment caused Julia to relax a little.

Muscle tension washed away from the woman replaced by overwhelming feelings of exhaustion. Picking up the present off the bed Julia placed it on the nightstand. Accomplishment faded into the silence of the room. Exhaustion drained Julia's remaining energy. Sleep called out with its siren song beckoning on a subconscious level.

Laying back on the bed Julia closed her eyes stilling her breathing. Darkness only offered repeating images of the two guards being shot. Screams and gunfire tormented Julia preventing her from falling asleep. Fear bore down like a great weight onto the woman in the darkness of her own thoughts. Sitting up straight Julia looked around for anything to preoccupy her mind. Wrapping the present had been difficult, but it had brought a moment of reprieve from tormented thoughts.

Only a dressing table with large mirror, walk-in closet, and large canopy bed sat in the large room. Nothing in the room seemed to offer anything to divert the mind. Looking at the vanity Julia remembered she kept a stash of whiskey there. Julia didn't drink often and had never passed out from being drunk. Unconsciousness seemed blissful in comparison to the haunting memories. Exhaustion pulled at every muscle in Julia's body demanding sleep.

Escape fuelled the decision. Marching over to the vanity Julia withdrew the bottle from the hidden compartment. Light glinted off the amber liquid in the glass container. Picking up the bottle from the compartment Julia placed it on the vanity. Liquid splashed across the bottom of the glass filling it a quarter full. Corking the bottle Julia placed it on the vanity before grabbing the glass.

One loud gulp echoed in the room for a brief moment followed by a deep inhalation of air. Whiskey burned Julia's mouth causing her to shake her head trying to stop the sensation. For a beautiful moment the pain pushed back the memories. Muscles relaxed in Julia's body feeling the numbing sensation replace the pain. Alcohol warmed the stomach radiating its heat outward.

Looking into the mirror Julia didn't recognize the unfamiliar image reflected on the surface. Exhaustion filled the young woman's face with lines. Tears caused the eyes to turn red and cheeks to puff up. Julia once radiant features now mired in despair and torment. Only thoughts of the alcohol brought peace to the young woman. Tension pulled every single muscle in Julia's body. Moments passed into minutes.

Popping the corked caused a distinct echoing in the room. Refilling the glass Julia set the bottle back down not bothering to replace the cork. Swift motion delivered the drink to be swallowed. No burning sensation followed the second drink. Proceeding to refilling the glass Julia focused on numbing the pain. No hesitation between drinks to wait for the effects to kick in. The third drink followed by a fourth drink.

Looking at the bottle of whiskey Julia noticed a third of the bottle gone. Alcohols' subtle effects presented themselves in the woman's mirrored reflection. Balance and coordination were causing Julia to struggle to put the cork back in the bottle. A loud thud rang out when the bottle hit the wood floor. Grabbing the glass Julia walked towards her bed with a stumble. Hitting the vanity caused the whiskey bottle to stop rolling.

Julia crashed into the soft pillowed bed spread without sound. Whiskey splashed back and forth in the cup spraying drops onto the bed sheet. Swallowing the last drink Julia slammed the glass down on the nightstand. Comfort beckoned Julia to lay down feeling weights pulling her eyes shut. Darkness brought no comfort.

Traumatic memories surged when Julia closed her eyes. Cushions of soft fabric pushed on the skin while sharp jagged memories cut from within. Trying to block the memories Julia pleaded inside her mind for the alcohol to kick in. Smell of gun smoke filled the air, screams echoed, and flashes of pain shot through every nerve. Julia tried to push the thoughts out feeling herself twitch from the impulses shooting through her body.

Warmth spread from the alcohol pumping through the veins. Pressure seemed to release from Julia's mind. Alcohol pushed back the haunting memories. Simple desire for a cessation of pain drove Julia's struggle with the flood of traumatic memories. Time seemed to stop from anticipation. Seconds seemed meaningless. Julia kept being drawn back to the repeated gun shots, the man in the black mask, and the feeling of killing the man.

Guilt ravaged inside screaming "murderer!" Voices mocked and tormented within the shadows of Julia's mind refusing to grant respite. Only the salvation of drug induced sleep offered any sanctuary or hope. Julia pulled the pillow over her head attempting to silence the voices raging inside her mind. Alcohol didn't reduce the pressure of the voices, but reduced the ability to resist the message.

Alcohol wore down Julia's ability to resist the surge of the superego's self-righteous anger at taking a life. Societal rules crashed against animal instinct to survive. Conflict raged inside Julia's mind fighting over the inherent evil of the action. Society teaches all killing is wrong, but the situation left no choice. People call soldiers murders. Doubt tore away at Julia's thoughts.

Sleep eluded Julia forcing her to think about what her mother said about difficult times. Victoria told her daughter to pray to god for help when you're desperate or need guidance. One day when Julia was ten she asked her father about god. Henry told his daughter that life is governed by chance not destiny or providence. Neither idea brought Julia any peace in this moment. Howling wind rattled at the windows. Julia sobbed into her pillow until she passed out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.4K 2.7K 22
The future isn't friendly. People in Meta are dying from a mysterious disease and Sean wants to know why. But in the Core, asking the wrong question...
6 0 6
The limit to which a private enterprise can develop lies where? Among the top 500 in the nation? The top 500 globally? Or transcending nations to bec...
29.2K 1.3K 35
My name is Lydia Williams, daughter of well known scientist Henry Williams. My father insisted I learn all types of seemingly useless skills. Karate...
The X3 By Varrsha Prasad

Science Fiction

163 19 18
Three 19 years old girls ruling the whole world through the virtual screen, Hacking is their life... Ruling over the world sounds good but with great...