The Alphas Guard

By bubblegumfog

❝Her eyes spoke more than her lips moved.❞ After her pack is brutally taken over, Leila is forced to reside i... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45 - The War
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49 - Filler
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54 - Filler
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57 - Filler
Chapter 58 - Filler
Chapter 59
Chapter 60 - The End of Leila and Luca
Book 2 snippet

Chapter 11

9.9K 511 59
By bubblegumfog

It was the night of the ball.

Yesterday I spent the entire day sealing every secret exit and corridor that may or may not have lead to certain events taking place. Regardless of that, I did my job and I did it well. The Luna, that snake, approved of my work and said I was able to attend and sport one of her daughters 'futile' dresses. She said I was to have a weapon strapped to me at all times but I was not able to showcase the metal. It would alert those northerners, she said.

I sure hoped it did.

In the entire 6 years I spent surviving in the outskirts of the Lycan kingdom, never had I expected my pack to rise again. I spent those days mourning over the loss of my home, my people, even the 2 friends I'd made in my 12 years of living.

Excitement brewed in the pit of my stomach, accompanied by a nervousness i did not know how to subside.

I was going to meet them.

Though this time, I was going to be on the other side of the fence.

Currently, I stood still as Lara stitched a needle through the waist area of the dress I was wearing. It was that midnight blue gown I dreamt of the day Lara and I visited the seers; the one littered with ice like crystals at the skirt and laid tight at the waist up. I couldn't believe I was dressed so richly; in velvet cloth covered with stars.

"Your waist is fabulous," Lara gushed, tying a knot, "honestly, I'm jealous of you. Hamza also has one, except you're shaped like an hourglass and him, a sexy nacho,"

My brows furrowed, "Who's Hamza?"

"My mate, silly," Lara patted my waist before standing up to face me, "he's the northerner you cant stand. The castles beta,"

"Oh," My eyes rolled to one side, "him,"

"Yes," Lara rolled her eyes exaggeratedly, "him,"

I sent her a threatening smile and she cackled, slapping her knee, "I'm so glad you're mated to my brother, honestly-"

"Who told you that?"

"Calm your horses, babe, Luca told me. His chambers reside next to mine. The day you stormed out of his room he couldn't help but ask me 'why did she leave? I thought my shirt made me look powerful.'," She shook her head, her red hair bouncing on her scalp, "I didn't know why you left either, after he explained the entire situation, but I told him to give you some space,"

My heart burst with affection for Lara. I was about to apologize before she interrupted me.

"That day you walked into my work space, I knew you were- mind my words -scarred in a way,"

"How? I don't remember speaking of my past to you,"

"You didn't need to. Your eyes spoke more than your lips did,"

I let out a shaky breath, suddenly overwhelmed. It wasn't everyday somebody was able to point out that I wasn't a normal female wolf. That I had a past saturated with blood and gore.

"I can tell you don't like that I'm able to point that out, and don't worry, I won't speak of it again, but," She paused, eyes faltering for a second, "it's nice to know somebody else in this castle doesn't have a past as clean as my brothers,"

My eyes snapped to hers, curious.

She shrugged, "What? Just because I'm related to an angel doesn't mean I'm one as well,"

"I don't know why, but that just made me like you even more," I confessed, content.

"I'm glad! I swear to the goddess the day you walked in here I knew we would click. So let's get into that ball and show those pesky princesses how it's really done," She huffed a hair out of her face and slid her arm through mine.

"Wait," Lara halted in her footsteps at my word.

"Hm? Is something of the matter?"

I could trust Lara. Her past could have been similar to mine in a way; with her mother giving her the cold shoulder ever since giving birth to her and growing to witness her own fathers death, who knows what she could have gone through. It was clear her and Luca were close, though. That's why I was so reluctant.

"I want to confess something," Her eyes shone and her ears perked up, "but you have to promise you won't tell anyone,"

"Who am I going to tell? My mother?"

I chuckled before shaking my head, "I'm serious,"

"Ok then, spill it,"

I took in a deep breath and confessed to my sins, "I spent 6 years in the unnamed lands. In those 6 years I had no idea the north would rise once more," I turned around to make sure nobody was listening in, "Today, I would like to befriend a northerner and ask them how the pack is doing. But I don't know how to do that without alerting the Luna. Could you, possibly, inform them I would like to speak to them once the sun rises?"

"I would love to. I even know how to speak in the northern dialect. Hamza taught me,"

My heart bloomed, "Well then. Since we're officially ready, let's get to the hall!"

Lara and I walked hand in hand to the Ballroom; me in my midnight blue spaghettini strap gown and her in a spicy red dress that hugged her curves.

I worried that the bodice was too low, exposing the area of my chest a bit much, but Lara sad I looked 'edible' in it so I paid it no matter.

On the inside I hoped Luca thought the same too.

Ever since yesterday, when his lips touch the skin on my neck, I wasn't able to get him out of my mind. My dreams consisted of either nightmares of that honey eyed creature or Luca being fiercely intimate with me. I preferred the latter over the other, but it's not like I could control my dreams.

Only witches could do that.

"We're here," Lara and I stopped in front of a set of large doors made of carved gold, "do you have your dagger's strapped to your thighs?"

I nodded, paying more attention to the music that oozed out of cracks on the door.

"Well then, let's get to it," Lara pushed the door open and my ears were flooded with the sound of orchestral notes and high blooded murmuring.

The ballroom consisted of men wearing suits and women sporting dresses that made my own look like a hand maids night gown. The contrast was unruly. While my dress was a simple spaghetti strap scattered with crystals, they worse gowns with mermaid skirts and patterns so exquisite even I couldn't call them out.

My mouth watered at the buffet that lined the edges of the wall, itching to grab a plate and smear food all over it. But I couldn't. My commoner self had to remain high class.

High class my arse.

"The northerners have just arrived. Hamza is over there conversing with them," Lara nudged my shoulder, "you should too,"

"We agreed that you would,"

"Does my mother know you're from the north?"

My lips parted, "No,"

"Then you go on ahead and speak to the males. I'll tell my mother you're talking to them to seek their motive to attack. She won't even bat an eye, trust me," Lara slid her arm out of mine, "go on,"

My eyes landed and the group of males huddled in a circle. Some held women in their arms, other's didn't, but one of them, a green eyed man wearing brown leather armour covered in chains with a bow and arrow held in his hand caught mine and my wolfs eyes.

"Lara," I held onto her wrist, eyes begging, "will you at least walk me there?"

She rolled her eyes with a smile on her face, "fine, but I'll leave once you're settled,"

"Okay," I muttered, nervous.

They stuck out like sore thumbs; wearing brown leather armour with tall swords strapped to their backs. Some even sported traditional headwear that made them seem taller than the average castle dweller; a mixture of cloth and halo like chains hanging from their heads.

Pride swelled in my heart at the sight, as well as a bundle of nerves.

"... rising to the top. It will be difficult but we've recovered since the war, even grown more powerful than before," The green eyed man spoke calmly yet his voice took over almost the whole room, "our greatest loss was our people, but we know they are watching over us beside the goddess of the moon. Their prayers are aiding us greatly-" his eyes landed on mine, brows furrowing, "who might you be?"

Hamza's nostrils flared at the sight of me, but one look of warning from Lara made him lower his gaze.

His nostrils were still flared though.

Pig.

"I'm all but a guard in this castle," I curtsied, smiling nervously, "please do introduce yourself,"

His energy was radiating into mine in torrent like waves, dizzying me. Two black holes circling one another. That's what it felt like.

"Ladies first," He gestured to me, nodding.

"I am Leila Nour Al Haddad. Over the course of the upcoming months I will be crowned golden warrior of this castle," The green eyed mans grip on his bow tightened, his eyes glowing a bright red, "is anything of the matter? Would you like a glass of water?"

His seemed to be controlling his breathing but had trouble doing so. Judging by the colour of his eyes his wolf wanted to take control and I genuinely didn't want him to embarrass himself in front of everyone around us.

I had to distract him.

"Please do introduce yourself, kind sir," Northerner leaders loved to her slathered in compliments, "I hear your pack is growing! Tell me more about your journey,"

The woman beside the green eyed man rubbed his arm, and I found her face to be oddly familiar.

"Honey," His woman gulped, looking me in the eye, "introduce yourself to the green eyed beauty,"

My brows furrowed.

Only one person ever called me that.

"What is going on?" Lara whispered so only I could hear, "He seems troubled,"

I ignored her, my gaze trained on the man holding a bow.

A hand landed on the small of my back, forcing sparks of warmth to rush through my spine. I didn't have to turn around to know it was Luca. He too seemed bothered; his jealously sleeping through me skin.

"Introduce yourself, kind sir," Luca, the King of all wolves spoke, "as your female has asked you to,"

The green eyed man finally gained control of his body, red eyes finally turning back to the colour of mint.

"I am Slaiman Nour Al Haddad, Beta of the northern lands,"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

643K 17.2K 53
What's worse than beginning your senior year in a new town? The reason for having to start over. After being relocated from her hometown of 17 years...
2.1K 228 56
What happens when Leila Morgan falls in love with Nickolas, a lycan who supposedly killed her parents...who she's also supposed to take her vengeance...
452K 16.3K 37
Leila and Kyle are twins and rare tiger shifters, their kind has been hunted close to extinction. Tigers are usually solitary animals who prefer to k...
82.5K 451 6
Leila is a werewolf, an Alpha daughter from a rare Alpha line. Due to circumstances prior to her birth, her once proud and powerful pack was nearly...