Behind The Glasses

Autorstwa culprit_

When guarded Archer Harrison is thrown head first into an unlikely situation to help protect her unlikely fri... Więcej

👓Behind The Glasses👓
Chapter 01 | Window boy.
Chapter 02 | The five stages.
Chapter 03 | Something different.
Chapter 04 | Are you talking to me?
Chapter 05 | Monk moments.
Chapter 06 | No words to say.
Chapter 08 | The names Archer!
Chapter 09 | xoxo Gossip Girl.
Chapter 10 | Body, meet fatigue.
Chapter 11 | Shine the light on me.
Chapter 12 | Infinite questions.
Chapter 13 | The Koala pact.
Chapter 14 | Work, Energy and Power.
Chapter 15 | Puzzle pieces.
Chapter 16 | Activation.
Chapter 17 | The lion, the witch and the wardrobe.
Chapter 18 | Non-zero sum game.
Chapter 19 | Furlough.
Chapter 20 | A Marionette.
Chapter 21 | Just keep swimming.
Chapter 22 | Everything melts.
Chapter 23 | The one with the Giant Balloon.
Chapter 24 | Rolling in the deep.
Chapter 25 | Spectrum of green.
Chapter 26 | Recipe and ingredients.
Chapter 27 | Alone is not enough.
Chapter 28 | Terabithia
Chapter 29 | A slice of heaven.
Chapter 30.1 | Woman.
Chapter 30.2 | Woman.
Chapter 31 | The Alpha trait.

Chapter 07 | Order up.

46 11 1
Autorstwa culprit_

+*+*+*+*+*+*
"Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: -this is the ideal life."
-Mark Twain.
👓🏹👓🏹👓🏹👓🏹👓🏹
Chapter 07| Order up.

It takes me a couple of seconds to adjust to the light pouring into my room. I glance towards the clock that rests on my desk and it proudly shows 08:49 in bright red. Almost neon. I groan. I just managed to wake up before my alarm. Again. 10 points for gryphindor! I turn to my side to face the couple.

"Morning, you guys," I yawn. I'm so tired. I pull he blankets over my head. 5 more minutes left.

I barely manage to grip sleeps' dress shirt and the first notes of Marilyn Monroe by Nicki Minaj start to play from the alarm in turn causing me to jolt up from my sleeping position. How is this even possible. I literally closed my eyes less than a minute ago. Mockingly, the clock now shows 09:00.

I groan yet again, roll out of bed and aim straight for the bathroom.

I yawn unattractively, staring at my reflection. I swear, you're so pretty. It's like Prince Naveen and Tiana had a baby and it was you. Lie. I laugh at myself, brush my teeth, shower and get dressed into my clothes for the day.

I marvel at my outfit of a white ripped jeans, an off pink loose vest and a long, grey sweater throwover paired with black and white North Stars. Dad always said, "Comfortibility is key."

I leave the bathroom for my vanity table to accessorize and acquire a scent. I choose a long and gold necklace plus a simple silver ring on my right pointer finger.

Satisfied with my appearance, I begin making my bed as the doorbell rings downstairs.

As I pull my cover over my bed, mom shouts from downstairs, "Archer honey, there's someone here to see you!" To see me? My friends don't have such manners. They wouldn't have bothered with the doorbell.

"Who is it?" I shout.

"What's your name sweetie?" Mother asks whoever is at the door in a sweet sultry voice.

I fail to catch the response of the unknown person, a girl, as I scramble to grab my phone and head out my room.

"She says her name is Forest Knight!" Mom shouts as I take my very first step onto the stairs. My eyes land on a smiling little girl.

As soon as she sees me, her eyes widen to the size of saucers and she begins to bounce on the balls of her feet as if she is preparing for combat. I make my way down the stairs. when my feet reach the landing , she engulfs my legs in a hug. I bend down, hugging her back. She smells like strawberries.

"Hi, Forest," I say with a smile covering my face. This little girl... I have no words.

"Hi," she breathes whilst releasing my legs from the death grip they were in. I wish I had a little sister. "I missed you!" she confesses as I lean down to her level.

All this takes place as my mom watches with a soft smile playing on her lips.

"I missed you more." I poke her tummy and she giggles in delight as she attempts to bat my hands away from her.

"That's my mom." I point, introducing my mother.

"And mom, you've already met Forest Knight. Her family moved in next door." I say standing to my full height.

"Nice to meet you, Forest," Mom greets enthusiastically and Forest waves at her while slipping her hand into mine. "I'll be in the kitchen," she informs, dismissing herself.

I look down at an excited Forest who immediately blurts out, "Can you do my hair?" as our eyes meet.

"Sure. Let's go to my room.

I lead the way upstairs with Forest taking in her surroundings and committing them to memory. We enter my room and she continues to take everything in. My gaze wonders to the window to find a disgruntled yet shirtless Hunter. Damn.

"Nice boxers there, Hunter." I say moving closer to the window. So we can hear each other clearer. Lie.

Unlike me, he doesn't freak out and hide. He just quickly glances at me and resumes his frantic search for something in his room, though he is trying unsuccessfully to hide the fact that he is very worried.

Forest moves in front of me to get a better vantage point.

When she sees her brother, she starts jumping up and down to get his attention and shouting, "Siad, I can see you from Bow's house!"

Hunter stiffens from the sound of her voice, quickly turns and visibly relaxes when he sees Forest. So that's what he was looking for. His sister.

"Forest, I've been looking for you everywhere!" Uh oh.

"Here I am!" she replies giggling to herself not even noticing the traces of the worried expression her brother previously wore.

"What did I say about talking to strangers?," he questions her. So I'm a stranger now? Ouch.

"Bow is not a stranger," she defends her face hardened. "She is my friend," she adds her face turning fierce. Tell him!

He sighs in defeat as the worry lines leave his face slowly but surely.

"Fishies!," she squeals without missing a beat knowing that she'd won this fight. She moves away from the window to marvel at Gnomeo and Juliet who'd caught her attention.

"I didn't know she was here without permission." I disclose trying to keep my focus on his eyes and not his sculptured chest.

"It's okay. can you watch her, please? I'll be done in a few minutes and I'll get her out of your hair.

"It's not a problem,"i say exiting the frame of the window, away from his view as he says, "Thanks, Bow." For flips sake! It's Archer!

Forest is a very easy kid. She played with Gnomie and Julie the entire time soon after I tied her hair which took me less than a minute to do. By the reaction I got after I announced being done, you'd think I'd just spent at least 10 minutes doing her hair. She's easily excited by the simplest of things. I just kept her in my peripheral vision as I caught up on my Harry.Potter.

Our peace and tranquility is disturbed by the buzzing of my phone.

Window boy: I'm outside. Bring Forest.

Archer.H: You could've just spoken from the window. You do know that, right?

It hasn't stopped him all the times before.

Window boy: I'll consider that for next time.

Archer.H: Were on our way.

"Essy, your brother is here. Let's go," I say shuffling off the bed, grabbing her hand after I detach her cheek from the tank and make our way downstairs.

Then it hits me

Crap. I hate it when people change or shorten my name. i literally just now did it without regard for the persons feelings to the matter. Such a Hypocrite. That's what I am.

As I open the front door, I lean down to say, "Forest, is it okay if I call you Essy?"

She looks shocked by my question which derailed her journey to her brother but nods nevertheless.

"I like it. No one has ever called me that," she says whilst resuming her short walk to her brother.

The moron rightfully named Hunter sits in his car as it idles. He hasn't noticed us with all his attention on his phone.

"Hey there stranger," I say effectively gaining his attention

His startled state lasts for less than 2 seconds then he smiles at me, showing me his sparkling white teeth and his... Wait, am I seeing this right? ...his dimples. Those things do not show up often.

"Hey, Bow."

"Ice cream, Siad!" Forest squeals from below me trying to climb his door to see him better.

"Hop in!," he says trying to match her enthusiasm. She opens the backseat door and gets in.

"Can Bow come?," she asks expectantly with her head popped in between the passenger seat and the drivers seat.

"It's up to her," he answers also turning to face me for an answer.

"Please come with us," she pleads with her eyes glowing to a green that was unbelievable. It's as if they were two shining emerald gems hypnotizing me into agreeing. Irresistible.

"Sure. Can you wait just minute? I want to go grab my bag." My bag is my lifeblood. It holds my money, credit cards, deodorant, gum, candy, hair ties, identification documents, emergency girl kit, paper and a pen, Incase an idea pops into my head and I need to jot it down quickly before I forget. It holds all my essentials.

"Don't. It's my treat." Hunter says halting me mid turn. Shit. I need my bag. What if I trigger the curse and to make matters worse, I'm wearing white jeans.

I'm about to insist on going to grab my bag when Forest starts chanting, "Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes," excitedly and my resistance melts. Not wanting to disappoint her, I make my way to the passenger side and hop in.

+*+*+*+*+*+*

The Knights are quick adaptors.

Without needing any directions, Hunter parks in front of an ice cream parlor. The best one, if I do say so myself, in our town. Forest jumps out immediately after she feels the jolt of the handbrake shifting into place proceeding to run towards the store.

"Forest!" Hunter shouts after her but his shout falls onto deaf ears. "That girl does not even hear anything I say to her," he comments more to himself in disbelief whilst locking his car doors.

I chuckle at his misery earning myself an eye roll. That's probably how Luke felt.

We walk in side by side, my gaze immediately locates Forest who's face is currently glued to the glass display.

I wrap my arm around her little shoulders to gain her attention.

"Siad, I want cookie dough."

"Okay."

"No wait, I want vanilla."

"Sure."

"No, I want chocolate."

"Okay."

"Wait, I ..."

"Forest, make a decision," Hunter states firmly, cutting her off and silencing her.

Her shoulders slump, turning back to face the display case and starts to whisper sing, innie, minnie, miny, mo. It breaks my heart as I watch the antagonisingly slow process.

"... he hollers let him go. ..." I call her name, cutting the song off, turning her to face me as I crouch down to her level.

"I've got an idea." Her eyes sparkle at the prospect of my idea waiting patiently for me to elaborate. "What are your favourite flavours?," I ask.

She starts to list them off, it turns out, the list is endless. She's probably going to name every single flavour she knows.

"What about your top 4?," I inquire hoping to narrow it down.

"She only gets 2 scoops," Hunter informs matter of factly.

This information causes Forest's shoulders to droop yet again and she slowly lists her top 4, making sure to think thoroughly before stating a flavour. Kid problems. She finishes her short list and I rise to my full height of 5ft3in facing the attendant. I smile.

"Hi, Mrs. Saluego." She's the co-owner of the shop along with her husband. I worked here last summer and Mrs. Saluego kind of adopted me as her daughter. I've got a home here in her shop. Working here was one of the best experiences of my life.

"Oh, Archer. How are you dear?," she asks.

"I'm good and you?," I counter, returning her pleasantries.

"I'm well. What can I help you with?," she says going back to her work at hand.

"Can I please have half a scoop each of vanilla, mint chocolate chip, rocky road and ..." I trail off, looking down at Forest for the last one.

"Cookie dough!," she chimes with a smile.

"... yes. Cookie dough ice cream," I finish off

Mrs. Saluego nods and asks, "Is that all?"

Hunter looks to me and says, "You can order, Bow."

Mrs. Saluego's eyebrows rise up to almost touching her hairline and a smirk graces her features a few moments after. I meet her eyes and they tell me all she's thinking as she conveys it to me silently. I smile politely and discretely shake my head. Squashing her assumption.

"2 scoops of cookie dough please."

She blinks at my sudden vocalisation of my thoughts. She regains her composure quickly and looks to Hunter who orders 2 scoops of rocky road.

"That'll be $06.00."

Hunter pulls out bills from his wallet, hands them to a still smirking Mrs. Saluego. When our orders arrive, Forest screams her delight at the prospect of eating 4 flavours at once. She sprints for a table just outside the parlour as soon as the cup is in her grasp.

"Don't run!" Hunter shouts after her to deaf ears yet again. "Forest!"

I chuckle at his expense again and this time, I'm rewarded with a friendly glare. I watch as she pushes her cup onto the table first before climbing onto the chair. Hunter and I walk at a reasonable pace to join her.

She pretends to not even notice us when we take our seats on either side of her on the quaint square table.

We enjoy our desert as Forest recounts her Friday to me. She tells me about the friends she's made and her opinion on a number of things. I find myself enjoying both their company as Hunter makes it a point to interrupt her ever so often which as a true story teller, she did not enjoy or encourage.

Forest is the first to finish, unsurprisingly, having been in a competition with herself. She waits for us to finish as well and we all stand up as a group to throw away our trash.

As soon as she has her hands around her empty cup, the ever energetic Forest takes off in a run towards the bin.

"Essy, don't run!," I shout after her. She immediately halts then walks the rest of the way to the bin. Hunter's mouth hangs wide open with his eyes as big as 2 saucers.

"You might want to close your mouth, you might catch a fly." I tease

"Did you hypnotize my sister?," he asks disbelief in his tone at what he'd just witnessed.

"No." Amusement shows clearly on my face and it's all thanks to his continued dumbstruck expression.

'That girl does not even hear anything I say to her,' he'd said when we arrived.

He shakes his head repeatedly as we head towards the car with Forest hand engulfed in mine beside me.

+*+*+*+*+*+*

It seems Forest falls asleep whenever she sits in the car on her way home. She looks so peaceful with a few strands of her hair covering her petit face.

She snuggles deeper into the car seat and wraps her arms around herself. I wish I could turn back time to when I was young. Would I do anything different? NO!

"Thank you," Hunter says slicing the comfortable silence that previously surrounded us with his strong baritone voice.

"What for?." I ask slightly bemused.

He seems to rethink his answer multiple times before he settles for, "For watching Forest. I know she can be a handful," whilst running his fingers through his hair and rubbing the back of his neck.

"It was really not a problem. She literally had her face glued to the tank playing with Gnomeo and Juliet most of the time. It was quite entertaining to watch actually." Do I look and sound that crazy when I'm talking to them? Probably not. Lie.

"Gnomeo and Juliet?," he asks with his eyebrow raised perfectly.

"They're my fish. Little blue tangs," I answer with a happy giggle punctuating my sentences. Relax Arch. They're just fish.

"Oh," he breathes with a bit of a chuckle as his focus is on the road ahead of him. Now he's laughing at me. Nobody else to blame but myself. "You look nice by the way. Forest kept cutting me off before I could tell you," he throws into the conversation.

My brain glitches at the sudden compliment.

I blush feeling my face get hot as I will myself to look out the window, pretending to watch the passing scenery and actively trying to reign in my current facial expression as I mumble a, "Thanks." That wasn't a complete disaster of an attempt to receive a compliment. Lie.

"Why do you do that?"

"Do what?," I reply without facing him.

"You hide and/or deflect whenever I say something about your outward appearance," he supplies. By the tone of his voice, he was not amused anymore. Even the way he said that, it wasn't a question. It was a fact. An accurate one to say the least.

I keep quiet and try to focus all my attention on the surroundings outside the confines of the car. Oh look, a lamppost. The truth is it's just not something I'm used to experiencing other than from Aubrey and Audrey.

The silence continues until we're back in my driveway and I'm exiting his car.

"Thanks for today, Hunter," I say shutting the door making sure not to wake up Forest.

"The pleasure was all mine," he responds giving me a dimpled smile.

Hunter starts to reverse, suddenly I hear my mothers smooth voice behind me. Why!

"Archer, it's rude to not invite people in," she says already making her way towards us. I groan and prepare all battle stations. The lady is unpredictable. "It's just not becoming of a young lady," she finishes coming to a halt beside me.

"Mum!," I whine out loud this time.

Her gaze shifts to the car. I watch as her eyes visibly widen upon seeing Hunter.

"Oh my," she breathes and quickly recovers. "Who might you be?," she inquires with her charm turned on to 100. Hunter exits the car, moves around it, stands beside me and extends his hand in greeting in which my mother gladly accepts it.

"I'm Hunter Knight," he introduces himself, coming off as if he'd rehearsed it before.

"Knight... I heard that sometime today.I just can't recall when," she says with her hand still firmly grasped by Hunter.

"He's Forest's brother, Mum," I say pointing at the backseat to a sound asleep little girl.

"Oh yes. Sweet little girl," she breathes as her smile widens. "I'm Scarlett Harrison. Archers mother." she introduces as their handshake comes to an end.

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Harrison," he continues the formalities.

My mother smiles and nods. "Ditto," she quips back. As if she's just remembered something, she starts to back away from us. "I'm afraid I must take my leave," she says, turns and starts for the house. There is no way I'm not related to her. My kinda crazy was definitely inherited.

My gaze glides back to Hunter. "Oh and Archer, do invite the Knights for Sunday dinner tomorrow at 18:00," she hollers from the door before shutting it, leaving me no room to complain.

I roll my eyes and laugh to which, Hunter joins me thus saving me from my misery as he says, "I'll see you tomorrow night," and moves to re-enter his car.

Out of a whim I say, "Knowing you, it'll probably be sooner," I joke.

Hunter's throaty laugh rings in my ears but soon fades away as he drives away. Still could've just parked in his own yard. Moron.

I close the entrance door behind me to find mum waiting for me with a mischievous smile gracing her features.

"What?," I ask cautiously.

"Wait til I tell your father that I found you with a boy," she says smirking.

"Mother. No."

She flips her hair over her shoulder and leaves me to process the bomb she just dropped on me. Why me!

+*+*+*+*+*+*

SJ talking

I loved writing this. I literally was laughing as I wrote some of this stuff. Please do enjoy the chapter. I really hope I get put on at least one of the lists for the Wattys2018. Fingers crossed.🤞🏽

Please comment and vote to overpower my excitement that I've got a ranking. Behind The Glasses is currently number 837 in Humour. I'm over the moon. Thank you to all of you who are taking the time to read this book. It means more to me than you'll ever know.😍

xoxo SJ signing off

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

14.1K 733 35
2015 rolled in with a bang, and it did not have the grace to gift me with a social life that everyone in a one hundred year radius would be jealous o...
450K 10.4K 53
⚠️ Cringe Warning ⚠️ my story is literally a joke don't say i didn't warn you 💀 . . . Victoria Kalie Maurice, despite having a terrible truth about...
147K 6.8K 63
Gawking two guys in a hot-blown make-out session in the mathematical section of the library was not what I expected my first day after Winter breaks...
57.1K 2.9K 83
"Can we stop feeling guilty, Amelia? Guilty for all the things that weren't our fault." "We can Leo. Maybe someday." "That day isn't far off Amelia...